“Not worth the money!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Limassol
Atlantica Bay Hotel
Ranked #6 of 57 Hotels in Limassol
UK
“Not worth the money!”
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We have just returned from The Atlantica Bay, we had booked this hotel for our delayed honeymoon, and we were left feeling disappointed. The hotel staff are wonderful and can't do enough for you. The public areas of the hotel are great and very clean., but our room had damp patches on the walls, broken lampshades, and broken chairs on the balcony! Not much to quibble about really but when you've paid to upgrade the room, it sorta stings a bit! When we booked this hotel we were led to believe it was 'exclusive' to Thomson Gold, thinking rightly or wrongly that it would be child free-wrong! On our 1st morning there were screaming children in the restaurant, and later in the week, jumping in and out of the pool, which for a relaxing holiday isn't good!
The food although nice gets very repetivite and boring, we went all inclusive. But another option is to upgrade to a drinks package. There is nothing around the hotel, a few bars about 10 mins away but thats it! The hotels private beach is awful, and not well looked after either. The entertainment is good, but there is no escape from it, if you want a drink on the terrace you have no choice but to listen to the entertainment! If you get the chance to catch an act called Operatunity do it because they were fabulous!
A few have said this hotel is quite it isn't the surrounding areas outside of the hotel are but not the hotel itself.
The Gala Dinner didn't impress us either, the only difference to a normal night is that you eat out by the pool, which when it's warm isn't very comfortable, and you don't get the choice of joining in with the Gala dinner, you sort of get held to ransom, you either join in or don't eat, unless you're willing to pay for room service, which isn't cheap!
This hotel does have it's plus points, the waiting staff are excellent, both in the bars and resturant. Debbie and Jamie, the entertainment team do a sterling job but again there is no escaping the noise coming from the entertainment as most of it is centred around the pool, and trying to relax with a water polo match going on isn't great. Sunbeds-what fun, if your idea of a relaxing holiday is getting up at 6.30 for sun loungers then this is the hotel for you! If you didn't get up early to put towels on the sun loungers, you didn't get one! The hotel allow the towels to be left on loungers ALL day without anyone on them! The hotel has apparently told the Thomson reps NOT to remove the towels on loungers!
We went on an excursion 'Cyprus Uncorked', please avoid this trip, it is 122 euros, and we were fleeced is all I can say. We spent 7 hours in total on this trip,on a bus with very limited air conditioning going around in circles. We booked on it because we had wanted to visit the Kurion, we spent 15 mins there, very disappointing as all the guide books say it's a great place to see, such a short time that we didn't see all of it. This trip takes you to the foothills of the Troodos mountains, why I still don't know, then lunch is in the roughest, dodgyest part of Limassol old town, just don't beleive the hype on any information about this excursion! We complained about this trip to the rep, and all we were told is she'd pass the information on, but i really doubt that will happen I got the feeling from the reps, that all they wanted was their commission from selling the trips!

We enjoyed the holiday and it's is the little things that let this hotel down, and that is mainly because of Thomsons I think, they make the hotel feel like a holiday camp,and it's not what we paid our money for.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank May38
AtlanticaBayHotel, Management at Atlantica Bay Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2009
Thank you for your comments.

We are very surprised to hear your comments regarding the food, as our Executive Chef takes pride in his varied daily menu offering a wide range of choice from carvery, plain dishes, sauce dishes, live made to order show cooking and an extensive salad buffet as well. Furthermore, as a Gold Hotel, one of our highlights is our Gala Dinner which we have always received excellent comments on. Although the Gala Dinner is specially set up by the poolside, we do appreciate that not everyone enjoys sitting outside which is why the restaurant seating is also always available should anyone express the desire to sit inside.

We do appreciate that Thomson Gold does not book any children under 16, however, as it clearly states in the brochure “other tour operators may allow children” and at the moment we only have a couple of children in the hotel as the hotel is not designed for children.

Regarding the comments on the sun-beds it is hotel policy that any towels found before 9:00 shall be removed. Similarly, any towels left unattended throughout the day shall also be removed. Our pool attendants do their very best to ensure this policy for the continued service to all of our guests in addition to the ample sun beds we provide for our guests.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (810)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed 8 August 2009

Wendy & I have just returned from our fith consecutive stay at the great Altlantic Bay hotel. This was by far the best so far even though the other four have been superb. I would re-iterate the other comments made that the best option is all inclusive, either book before you go or upgrade when you arrive (the former is cheaper) otherwise you'll find it very expensive.

We once again had a superior seaview room which overlooks both the terrace and the Med. There is a small building site on the seafront with a crane but to be honest did not impinge on the view at all. As usual the hotel staff were superb, especially the bar and waiting staff; special mention to Dean and the girls and guys working the pool and lobby bars. The food is buffet style and full of choice for all meals. The ala carte experience is also great and allows the chefs to show off their culinary skills; all guests get the chance of one meal in the ala carte but you have to book in advance at reception. One great but small service is the fact that if you buy a lilo in the shop just take along to reception and . the porter will inflate it for you free of charge.

There is usually no rush for sunbeds although I wouldn't leave getting one after 7am as you might not get a good position.

Maria the PR Manager is awesome as usual going out of her way to make sure that every guest is happy and relaxed. Every Thursday there is a Gala Dinner on the terrace where the restaurant staff, led by Dean make a wonderful table set up and atmosphere.

The enertainment is not bad either; some is better than others but the comedians are excellent. The resident duo this year, Simple Life, are first class. Hazel the singer has a great voice and her partner Dave plays the keyboard. The only criticism I have is that George the Greek is a bit past his best but I believe he is booked by the hotel rather than Thomson Gold; it is quite amusing to hear him sing popular ballards and stick his own words in where he doesn't know them or forgets them!

TRhere is plenty of enertainment during the day and I must say about the excellent Thomson entertainment reps Jamie and Debbie. They were superb, keeping those guests interested in playing games entertained and providing some great entertainment at night.

The only negative was the awful cheese and ham sandwiches we got when we arrived. If you miss dinner cos of late arrival the hotel will put on coffee/tea and sandwiches but the ones we had were dry and inedible.

All in al a great two weeks and we will be back next year. We thoroughly recommend this hotel.

3 Thank steviej53
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Just spent 2 great weeks at this hotel.

Highs -

Staff - Extremely friendly and helpful staff, from the top management right through to those staff who are very rarely seen, the room maids, cleaners, chefs etc. They all work so hard to ensure everyone's holidays are perfect.
A special mention must go to Maria (the PR Manager) for helping my wife to get a great deal on her designer glasses (and providing local maps), and to those fantastic boys and girls that worked so hard in the blistering heat to provide drinks to the guests around the pool everyday (we were very lucky, when we started to bake, we just jumped into the pool - they couldn't! Well done to all of you))
Many other great things have been said about this hotel so I won't bore you by repeating them, suffice to say, that everyone we spoke to really enjoyed working in the hotel and congratulated the management for their friendly and positive attitude towards them, even when I was getting my hair cut (Yes, it was almost half an inch long at the end of the second week!), the spa lady said how much she enjoyed working in the Atlantica Bay)
If the staff have got such a great feeling about their own jobs, then if bodes well for the guests.
I even heard a guest discussing his distinct dietary needs with the Excutive Chef who couldn't have been more helpful, even taking his room number back to the kitchen to ensure his staff provided the appropriate food as required.
Food - As always, the hard work put into the Gala Dinner - Well Done.
Accommodation - Excellent

Lows -

Building Sites - both at the front and at the back of the hotel. I am angry at Thomson Holidays for not mentioning this as it is a major issue.
For 14 days we endured work starting at 7 until 4 with hammering, cutting, shouting, cement lorries, trucks, reversing sirens, JCBs, Bulldozers, 1 trafic accident at the entrance to the building site (which is right in front of the lounge area) and to 2 very near misses.
Even on Sunday from 7 until 12pm, they were removing 100s of tons of earth.
There is no respite. Why hasn't/isn't Thomsons telling anybody?
I reckon that the building will go on for at least another 12 months.
I have attached a small video to show the location at the back of the hotel, and the amount of building that is yet to occur.
As with all building, it will eventually disappear, but it doesn't help those who have to endure it now.

Kids - I teach, and quite a number of guests that I spoke to were employed in form of contact with children/teenagers etc. so the perfect holiday for many of us is a hotel that is minus children.
Unfortunately, this is not possible at this hotel (this is not the fault of the hotel but of the travel company and hotel chain's policy).
My wife and I were surrounded by 3-4 Russian families (6 small children) for 10 of the 14 days we were there, and for 3 days, by an English family who had a teenager that couldn't stay of here mobile!.
There were other families dotted around the hotel.
I have just read a report saying that the children weren't any bother, I agree that some of the parents were fantastic in ensuring their little girls behaved themselves, there were 2 other families that were very happy for their kids to use the veranda as there private play area. This was due to the British entertainment (particularly the comedians) not being understood/enjoyed by the Russians, who stayed upstairs on the veranda. One evening at 11.45pm, there were still 2 children running around terrorising the local kittens, thinking it was funning, cruelly squeezing them, and their parents blissfully ignoring it, until we had to, unfortunately intervene.
The situation at the weekends, so I am led to believe, is that it is Cypriate law that all hotels have to open their pools at the weekends for the locals, and they can arrive and use any of the facilties - please correct me if I am wrong?
I witnessed the negative aspect of this arrangement. An extended local family arrived on a Sunday morning and settled into their area (right next to us and the Russians!), much earlier than many of the other hotel guests, and we watched as some of the guests tried (unsuccessfully) to find loungers and a brolly. Surely this is not right? Surely, the hotel guest has priority having paid for the priviledge ?
We know the small print in the brochure states "...whilst there maybe children from other
operators......", this surely must be changed to; ......"There WILL definately be children, and local families"?
I get the feeling that as the good name of the hotel spreads so does the arrival of more children from other tour operators?
It is only Thomson that enforces the no under 16 rule. You could actually book a young family from Britain into the hotel by flying with another airline.
I know many other guests were annoyed at the high number of children. I don't understand why children are brought to this particular hotel as there is no kids clubs, play area, pirate ship etc. I did see some of the kids start to use the jacuzzi as their own paddling pool (is there not an over 16 rule, as in many other hotels?)
There are other hotels in the Atlantica chain that does cater very well for children, why not go there?

Would I go back yet again? Not sure. We specifically book adult only holidays to chill out and re-charge, this didn't happen this time.

I am really sorry to sound negative, but this is a compaint about the principle of Adult only Holidays that are sold as 'Thomson Gold - Specially designed for couples" (this is taken from the cover of the Gold Brochure),' and not about the hotel itself which cannot be faulted.

8 Thank gaza1
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to hear that you had an overall enjoyable holiday with us.

Although there are some building works near the hotel, we do not face any major issues. Just for your information, the hotel at the moment is almost fully booked and the feedback we get from our guests shows a high level of guest satisfaction in all aspects. We assure you that our management team and staff do their best to make our guests’ stay the most enjoyable.

In reference to the Cypriot locals, please note we have many local in house paying residents as well. Similarly the Atlantica Bay Hotel as well as all hotels on the island are public hotels and are open to non-residents as well. This is not specific to the weekends and this policy holds true in many countries as well.

Once again we thank you for your comments.
wales
Reviewed 5 August 2009

im just going to add to chaz n daves review i agree with everything they say lol---HI GUYS---What a super hotel I can’t really fault it I spent most of my time this week in the superb pool everything was first class about this hotel.
If I was going to say anything negative I suppose the beds were too hard for an old git like me, but it was nothing serious. I could go on forever about the positive side of this super hotel it was an easy four star ++++ drinks are very expensive so go for the package deal when you arrive or its going to hurt. 23 Euros a day pp for the fully inclusive upgrade. The location was a bit far out but I never left the hotel. I was way too comfortable. Next time I will hire a car and have a look about .
Don’t expect not to see a few children at this hotel, most of them are Russian and very well behaved so it was not a problem, the hotel is also open to locals at the weekend so you will get a few Cypriots around the pool also not a problem as they were unnoticeable.I suppose they buy a day permit from the hotel.
The Thompson entertainment was great fun, I joined in most things. The resident duo Hazel and Dave were entertaining, they had this onstage love hate relationship, it was funny.
The Thompson team headed by Cat was the best I have ever seen, the two persons involved with keeping us happy daily were JAMIE AND DEBBIE. They were on top form from 10 am to midnight every day. They worked so hard to keep us entertained with various games in the day. I really had a super time with them, these guys should be paid more as they do way more than expected of them. Not many people can get me dressed up in pink with a feather boa like Priscilla queen of the desert!!
I will go back to this hotel but I will book it direct and take a scheduled flight as the first choice airline is nothing more than a cold uncomfortable sardine tin and not built for anyone over 5'4" and 120 lbs. it takes the edge off your holiday when you arrive home crippled so its 100% for the hotel and zero for the flight.
REGARDS, RALPH -JACI

2 Thank private-traveller47
Wales
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Just come back from Atlantica Bay Hote, We didn't want to come home because the hotel was absolutely great. Food was fantastic, plenty of choice. Hotel was immaculately clean, staff were really friendly and would go out of their way to please you. We had the executive suite which was fabulous even had it's own hot tub on the balcony, the standard rooms were really nice too. The Thomsons reps were fantastic thanks to Jamie and Debbie for a brill week of entertainment.
The location of the Hotel was great if you did not want to go out, but for 1.5 Euros you could catch a bus to anywhere. It was far too hot to walk down to the town, but Hey who's moaning we went for the sun. The most relaxing and enjoyable holiday we have had for a long time, will definately be going back.
The only criticism was that other tour operaters allow children, not many there at beginning of the week, there were quite a few at the end of the week. All in all this did not spoil our holiday, we recommend this hotel.

2 Thank Shaz_DaveWales
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2009

must congratulate all staff for their high standards, very hard working and very happy. the food was excellent, very wide range of choice 1st class, went half board but must advise people to go all inclusive, drinks can be quite expensive. only negative I can say is if you want to be in your room to watch tv before midnight it's nearly impossible because of the entertainment- very loud! that's a room at the front seaview.. otherwise fantastic. sunny every day[ don't think they do clouds in cyprus] hired a car for a week , went all over the island, motorways now so doesn't take long to reach various places, also went on minor roads to see local life very good nice villages.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank dave4722
stoke on trent
Reviewed 28 July 2009

very dissapointed went for arest and was greeted by dumper trucks at back of hotel making alot of noise,also any see view is over taken by a crane and a building site at the front.would not mind if it was one or the other but not both.we were not notified of this before our travel and we booked in feb.entertainment as gone down hill.food o.k.location is not very good .taxis very expensive if you want to go anywhere.until building work is finished i would not recomend this hotel

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple