“Not bad but there are areas for improvement... And expensive.”

Poseidonia Beach Hotel
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Limassol
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We stayed in the hotel with my wife for nine nights. It is located in tourist area not in the city of Limassol. The hotel was populated by guests mostly from Great Britain, Russia and Poland.
The room we lived had in land view, was not bad but definitely lacked renovation. Other reviews point at this as well. Room equipment was working with some exceptions. On-screen volume control on TV did not work properly, it was challenging to adjust volume sharply. Air conditioner was unacceptably noisy. That’s why we had to switch it off for nights. Also it took time to guess that in order to start the air conditioner windows must be completely closed. If you need outlet adapter, it can be obtained at reception. Hair shampoo and shower gel provide by the hotel were pretty decent, I adored them.
For reason unclear for me hotel policy prevents giving more than one key to guests in spite we stayed with my wife. I’d say it was quite inconvenient.
TV in the room had ten channels. The most useful for me was Deutsche Welle with news around the clock and a local channel broadcasting popular music in Greek. You can find other local channels with movies in English with Greek subtitles.
Almost all rooms in the hotel have connecting doors. The problem is the the connecting doors to neighboring rooms let all noise go through them. All your neighbors speak aloud can be heard especially in the night. I was shocked that entrance door does not have internal locks, only standard electronic lock operated with plastic card key. In my view this is very unsafe, any staff member easily can open this door. A chambermaid once entered when I was in the room. Fortunately she announced her visit by knocking the door and introducing herself as “room service”.
Despite see view is valued more than inland view, I found that the latter one is better for me. It has less sunshine in the morning and noon. A view to landscape is more interesting and diversified. Also loud evening entertainment often happens on see view side of the hotel. However there are feedbacks on the site about street racers disturb calmness of the surround in the evening. That’s true. Looks like this is localism to drive fast and loud on cars and motor bikes after sun is set. In this case rooms with in land view are more affected.
Some new building is being raised on the opposite side of the street. Construction workers start at 7 o’clock in the morning but that did not disturb me much.
Safe boxes and fridges exist in rooms but are not free and guests have to pay €2 daily to use each of them. Not sure if Wi-Fi is available in rooms as many people were seen in lobby with computers. The biggest inconvenience was absence of kettle in the room as I’m a tea addict, literally cannot live without a cup of good tea. Hotel bar won’t provide you with worthy tea, paying €3 for small teapot of unknown quality is not an option.
We paid for half board but neither soft drinks nor alcohol were included to dinner, even tea was not included. So we had to pay extra several times. Fortunately Chinese restaurant with good tea is located not far from the hotel. In spite other reviews say that food was not good I cannot agree on that. I always was able to find everything I wanted and needed. So was my wife.
Several convenience stores are not far from the hotel. Bus stops for bus #30 are located very close to the hotel, I’d say less than one minute of walking. On this bus you can easily reach old town and other popular locations: restaurants, cafes, various shops, ancient places.
In case you decided to rent a car, this is a good location as well. Petrol station is one the opposite side of the street. Motorway connecting cities is visible in about 1 kilometer or less and can be reached easily from the crossing on the left from the hotel.
Hotel beach was very close, maybe 30 meters or so. In August water in the sea was extremely enjoyable. But sand visually surprised me: it was neither gold nor white, instead it was grey, had a color of cement. This does not mean the sand was bad, to the contrary it was warn and soft for feet. Nevertheless the color of sand disappointed my wife.
The hotel also has a good swimming pool. There is also a tiny pool for kids. I witnessed several classes for aqua aerobics in the swimming pool. Hotel animation also included tennis and darts during day time, folk dances and songs, dance classes were in the evening. Feeding cats after breakfast in the morning was another informal entertainment. Actually there are many of them around the hotel, I counted ten.
Fitness center exists in the basement, but is rather small, 7x5 meters, and equipped with multifunctional but very outdated devices. Some of them cannot be adjusted.
If you ask me if I choose this hotel next time, I’d say “Maybe, but definitely won’t pay for half board and consider other hotels”.

Room Tip: Ask for room without connecting doors. I liked landscape view from the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank _0Alexey0_

Reviewed 27 August 2011

The hotel is quite dated and the rooms are very old fashioned. Ours looked like it needed a very good clean. The walls were scratched and the paint was peeling. There was a terrible smell when we first walked in. We later discovered this was due to the blankets being damp when they were put into the rooms. The sheets were clean but did have holes in and the blankets were not changed. The pillows were also badly stained - don't look at these if you want a good night's sleep! The skirting board in the corridor was hanging off the wall and was left there for 2 days with the nails sticking up. I would be very concerned if I had a child walking down this corridor. Both of the lamps in our room were damaged and there was a thick layer of dust on the telephone and headboard.

The food was probably the worst I have ever experienced. There is very limited choice and everything is cheaply made. The meat is mostly just fat and gristle and lots of the food isn't replaced when it runs out. The desserts are not chilled adequately and the ice cream was left out to melt. Get there as soon as the restaurant opens if you want to eat!
Expect to be surrounded by cats whilst you eat breakfast!

The staff were not very friendly. Only one of the waiters even acknowledged us when we were there and they were rude when we told them we had found a piece of glass by the pool. The evening entertainment is held by the pool in a very small area and isn't worth staying in for.

The hotel has a beautiful view of the beach and it is easy to access. However, if you want to visit other restaurants, bars and shops it is in the middle of nowhere! The centre of Limassol is a 30-40 minute walk away.

Room Tip: If you really have to stay here, choose a sea view room.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank LJF84
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Before we booked to go here we read the reviews and thought nothing of them but omg how true they are. The location of the hotel is the only good thing going for it, it takes less than 5 mins to walk onto the beach but inside the hotel is SHOCKING to call this a 4 star??? The rooms are...well i would rather sleep in my shed! In the pictures the rooms have a hairdryer in them, dont use the hairdryers eew they are yellow and sticky disgusting, we asked for a room with a double bed and we got a room with 2 single beds so we moved the beds and moved the bedside table were one leg fell off lol it was held on with a speaker lol the food aint no 4 star we went to mcdonalds and pizza hut a couple of times and went all inclusive! I was pretty disappointed with the staffs attitude very unhelpful oh and then we discovered half of them werent from cyprus. I wouldnt go back to this hotel if it was the only one left in cyprus so for anyone thinking of going here yeah go but take a tent instead youll have a better sleep in that.

Room Tip: Ask to go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank clairek795
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Just got back from our stay of 7 days at this hotel where we stayed half board. On arrival our plane was delayed which was dissappointing as we were looking forward to eating a meal once we'd arrived and wasn't sure what time the restaurant closed, we arrived just after 10pm and I asked the receptionist if we still had time for a meal. He told me it was just about to close but then said we could go and eat which we found very helpful after a 4 hour flight and they gave us our drinks on the house (a very warm welcome!).

When we first went to our rooms we saw 2 single beds bearing in mind there were 2 adults and 1 child and I went straight down to the reception and they provided us with an extra bed for my son.

After reading the reviews I was worried about the food but I'm guessing the people who wrote those reviews are not very adventurous and like their meat and 2 veg as we LOVED the food. They themed the evening meal every night to something around the world so one night was Italian, one was greek, one was french etc... and there were always fresh salads and chips for those kids who do not like to try new things.
My son ate everything and was very happy :-)

The hotel is in a great location if you just want to escape to somewhere hot with a pool and a nice beach on your doorstep, we found it great as we just wanted to chill but if you're looking for somewhere more lively I'd consider somewhere like Paphos where there are lots more bars and tourists. Limmassol has bars and shops but it isnt the best for partying with a family!

The hotels entertainment at night was OKAY, not amazing but bareable and there are plenty of other families there so the children are entertained with face painting and mini discos. Hannah who is the animation lady was brilliant, very enthusiastic, the kids loved her and it was nice to see her smiley face around the hotel!

The rooms were comfertable and air con worked which is always a good thing in august, the staff were always friendly and helpful and for this type of holiday we would go back there again especially if you can get a cheap deal! We payed £404 each for flights and hotel half board and transfers which is very good in August, we booked through olympic holidays who were spot on and once you're there you have the option to upgrade to full board for an extra 17 euros a day per person which would be good if you weren't considering going far. However we didnt and hired a car and went travelling the island for 2 days!!!!!!

I hope this review answers all of your questions, if you're a couple of any age or a family and just want to escape to the sunshine then i'd totally give this hotel the thumbs up and I hope to be going back there again!

Oh and the maids cleaned and changed bed sheets and towels every day which was lovely!

Room Tip: Pool views are always nicer but we were more than happy with an inland view :-)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank PixieO1982
Reviewed 21 June 2011

in the last 3 years this hotel has gone downhill it used to be a 4 star but i would struggle now to give it 2 stars the quality of the food has gone down and for an all inclusive the alcohol was really bad the 23per cent volume of the local brew was so low you could not taste the alcohol 3 years ago you could tell you had a drink this year you would have had to drink two bottles of whisky to even realise you had had one the omly decent drink was the Keo lager .. we had to go to the local shops to buy spirits so we could have a proper drink .. and the olympic team if you read this i am still waiting for the reply on my formal written complaint only been three weeks now never again to this hotel will we go

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank denty1954
Reviewed 10 June 2011

We have just returned from a weeks holiday in this hotel it was very enjoyable.
The staff were very welcoming when we arrived at 7am. The room was very clean and the maid came in everyday to clean and changed the towels daily.
The food was good and was a different theme every night and on sunday it was a roast dinner. The staff were polite and friendly and didn't impose themselves on you, but if you had a banter with them they would join in to have some fun with you. We had a room overlooking the main road which could be noisy but the double glazing reduced it a lot so we didn't have any trouble sleeping. We would definiely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank niecy2163
Reviewed 21 April 2011

I was a little apprehensive after reading some of the reviews here, but all in all It wasnt too bad. The room was clean, the staff very friendly, food was OK , not wonderful and not much choice but edible,. My one complaint was having to pay for use of safe or fridge in room. I have never come across this in any other hotel. All in all, considering the price I paid it certainly dosnt deserve its 4 stars, 3 stars would be more realistic.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple