“Great Holiday, Great Hotel”
Review of Ajax Hotel

Ajax Hotel
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Limassol
Reviewed 29 July 2010

During our stay at the Ajax Hotel we were more than pleased with the Hotels facilities and rooms. The staff were always pleasant and the bar staff in particular were always on hand to help. Unfortunately, we never met the infamous 'mini bar' lady but I’m sure this must have been a one off :) The cleaning staff were exceptionally good at their jobs and we always had fresh towels and clean bed sheets. On our first day, we noticed that we were missing a mini bar fridge. Within minutes, the maintenance man was at our room to install a fully stocked fridge.
I used the gym on a regular basis, which was fully air conditioned. The instructors were helpful and the equipment was of a high standard. After working out, it was great to use the hotels indoor and outdoor pools, which were both clean and attractive. We used the outdoor pool on a regular basis and mostly in the morning before heading out. On most days there was a kids club who used the pool before 10am. 10am being the time when hotel guests are actually permitted to use the pool. After 10am they would use a designated area, away from the loungers and the pool. They were barely noticeable! The problem with regards to local children using the pool, must have been sorted by the time we were there, as we never saw any unless they were guests.
With regards to the location, I would have to agree the majority of the comments below when they say, it is a bit of a walk to the restraints and shops. During the day, we would walk to the beach there and back as this was literally a 10 minute walk. The heat was a factor, but as we were both fit and healthy it was not too much of a hindrance. I would recommend a taxi for elderly couples as there is a slight hill on the way back. The restaurants are a little further along the main strip but we again walked their on a night and sometimes got a taxi back (depending on how many drinks we consumed!)There is also a bus which is 2Euros for a day rider. All the food in the local restaurants are lovely. We would recommend trying the Mezes as they give you a chance to sample all that Cypriote food has to offer. On our last night we actually went to a Lebanese restaurant and it was the best food we had all holiday. It is just off the main strip and I’m pretty sure it’s the only Lebanese restaurant in Limassol. Well worth a try. As for the hotel food, the bar food is lovely. I would recommend this for a snack or lunch as it is not as cheap as the local food.
I personally would not recommend renting a car. The tours that are available such as catamaran tours and jeep safaris show you around the island and pick you up outside the hotel, all for a very reasonable price. I also consider myself to be a confident driver; however driving in Cyprus takes skill! They drive without a care in the world, and while we were there we saw two crashes. I have never heard a car horn used so much.
Overall we had an amazing time at the Ajax and we would definitely stay their again. If you are after a relaxing holiday that is near enough the night life and shopping when needed, then this is the place for you. The hotel is much better than previous hotels we have stayed in, and the 4 star rating actually is a 4 star rating.

1  Thank robalex23

Reviewed 23 July 2010

The ajax hotel itself is very nice, has a lovely pool area with lots of loungers and umbrellas for those who want shade. There is also a jacuzzi next to the pool but was barely working for the two weeks we were there for and no one seemed to bother about fixing it. In peak season i expect the pool area to have children around it but i thought it would be full of children actually staying at the hotel on holiday- but instead it was full of local children who were jumping in and splashing everyone aswell as playing ball games so guests such as myself can't even have a quiet swim without getting splashed or hit in the face with a ball- despite the pool having a board of rules saying, no outsiders, no ball games and no diving- the lifeguard/ lady in charge just let the rules be broken everyday despite the obvious pattern of angered guests leaving the pool area very unhappy due to the overcrowding and rudeness displayed by the locals- especially the children. Also every morning in the pool area (not in the actual pool though) there is a kids club for the local children from a bout 10-1 inh the afternoon, so for those wanting to lay and relax on the loungers during these times, no peace and quiet will be achieved as the children are very loud. The inside of the hotel is very clean- the cleaners do an amazing job- they cleaned our room and changed our towels everyday and if i came into contact with a cleaner ie- in the lifts or coming out of my room they were very friendly and polite (friendlier than the hotel staff) and i only hope the staff treat and pay them well. Rooms were a good size with balconies (we just had the standard double room with two single beds joined together) beds were not amazingly comfortable but i had no trouble sleeping and there was nothing wrong with the beds at all- bathroom was spacious and shower was good apart from a small leak which eventually if in the shower for a long time- left the floors soaking wet. we had to move rooms after a few days as our air conditioning was constantly breaking and making a really loud noise when it was working- we kept asking the hotel staff to do something and after about asking about 5 times (no exaggeration) they sent the maintenance to fix it- however it worked for about 1 night then broke again- so with the help of our rep- the staff reluctantly moved us in to a new room (which also had the leaking shower problem so i assume all showeres have been made that way with the leak) one thing i really didn't like was the invasion of privacy by the mini bar lady! in each room theree is a small fridge with a few ridiculously priced drinks in it which we didn't touch once the whole time we was there as it was about 3 euros for one tiny bottle of water which for that price in a shop next door we could get about 6 bottles of water! anyway, every morning when we were in bed, she would bang on the door shouting "mini bar" and then walk straight in our room with a master key she had and ask if we had used any drinks- we told her we hadn't and would not have any mini bar drinks during our stay but she still continued to wake us up every morning and agressively open our door and walk in our room and she was very rude in the way she spoke to us- my partner had just got out of the shower to get a towel from the balcony which was drying as she walked in one morning- which was v ery embarrassing for him- i don't see how a mini bar lady can invade the privacy and be so rude to the hotel guests with such ease- and how this can even be allowed for her to come in rooms when the guests are there and wake them up- even when we do have the "do not disturb" sign on the door! the hotel reception staff are a total contrast with eachother- the women were incredibly friendly and helpful whereas the male staff were very rude, miserable and unfriendly- also very useless when we needed help! the only male member of staff who was very nice was michael who was the porter i believe- he was english but the male receptionists were greek and very rude!
The hotel did have very nice facilities including a gym, indoor pool, lovely outside pool, fitness club, indoor and outdoor bar (very expensive) beautiful spacious lobby and we were on the bed and breakfast board and the breakfast was lovely with a huge range of food and drink including lots of fruit, bread, full fry up and juices. The hotel was slightly snobby and upper class so didn't have any fun nights or evening entertainment which would have been nice. The position of the hotel is not good as it is about a 15-20 min walk to the main strip where beach and restaraunts are and in the hot sun is just too far to walk- we did do it some days but it mad me very sweaty/ dizzy and overall too hot and ill- so sometimes we got a taxi which was ridiculously expensive- i'm talking 10 euros for less than a five minute drive- we werent quite old enough to rent a car so was stuck in this position- i aske the hotel staff to ring round some car rentals for young people- they only rang two places which said no and they thought that search was good enough to then give up and leae us with no other option than to walk- i would have thought they could atleast ring a range of places to help us- not just two places- the staff certainly don't strain themselves to hard to help anyone! one thing i want to mention is the golden sun resteraunt opposite the ajax- it is wonnderful! the food is the best quality i have ever had with amazing quailty steaks and whole racks of bbq ribs with chips, onion rings and salad for 10 euros which is very cheap given cyprus being quite expensive! it is run by an elderly man and his family who are local and extremely friendly- they dont list all there available food outside- so do go inside and see a menu- it saved us many walks downtown to restaurants and is very good- there is the charcoal grill next door to it which is busier but not half as nice- they just advertise better but the service, friendliness and food are nothing compared to the golden sun.

Overall our stay at the ajax was still very lovely, and i would stay again providing i had a car so we dont have to walk as much in the hot sun- the rooms were clean, spacious and comfortable, hotel was posh and pretty, pool area lovely- just could do without the loud local children being allowed to break the pool rules but hopefully they will sort this out as complaints seem to be reoccurent of the same situation- some people would not be bothered by this but older guests who want quiet may not like this at all, mini bar lady needs to be more controlled and male receptionists could smile once in a while- these things are annoying but wouldn't ruin your stay there so yes i would reccomend it- but just bare some of these things in mind!

1  Thank xkate05x
Reviewed 21 July 2010

As a business traveler, the next important thing after a clean room is internet access. When we made the reservation we were told that there is internet access in the room.

When I arrived I was given room 324, which I found did not have internet access. After calling the reception they immediately changed my room to 227, there also there is barely a signal, I need to put the notebook up on the TV and I get one bar... This is besides the air conditioning which is sub par, noisy and does not really cool the room. If you are a business traveler, pay a little more and stay at a better place. I don't think I will be coming back

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 July 2010

Ajax hotel was a nice experience. We booked a weekend through their smart website for the price of 59 euros/room! Very good rate considering the fact that it is summer. The hotel is a 4 star with very good services. It has recently gone through refurbishment and public areas and rooms are nice and comfortable. The bathrooms HAVE NOT been refurbished though, however our bathroom was clean.
It is convenient to have a car as the location is not the best.
"Bad" points:
- a bit noisy air-condition
- not very comfortable bed
- Gym closed on Sunday
- Outdoor Jacuzzi not worked properly
- Breakfast restaurant a bit hot. The air-conditioner was not on!

Overall, a nice choice for the price we paid! I would stay again for a short term but I wouldn't choose it for an extended holiday.

Reviewed 12 July 2010

I wish i'd have known this information before I had booked so I hope you find it useful.

Between about 10am and 6pm, loud, annoying and repetitve dance music is played constantly around the pool area. This happened day in, day out and was extremely annoying. There are loads of speakers everywehre. I was lucky to have audio books which were still hard to listen to. One day a man ripped the wires out of a speaker but all the pool lady said was a lot of people like the music. Well a lot of people don't like it. I would have gone to Ayia Napa for this - but I wanted relaxation! Also, the same tracks repeat and some days we listened to the same songs 4-5 times! On out last day for a couple of hours it seemed to break as it kept jumping and it was glorious! Just the sound of the trees, birds and the pool - great! We actually ended up going out a lot and to the beach to get away from it so the hotel are losing trade from drinks and food we would have bought if we'd stayed at the hotel.

There was also something wrong with the outdoor jacuzzi - the colour was disgusting and it didn't seem to work - never saw anyone in it.

Also, for fit people, it is about a 12 minute walk to the seafront/beach BUT if you want to change where you eat you need to walk another good 15 mins to get to good restaurants so it's not ideally located for everyone.

Reception staff were a bit rude and one could not pinpoint the hotel on a map she gave to me. This has never happened to me anywhere else in the world.

The hotel does not appear to recycle and we ended up with leaflets, bottles etc and just had to bin them. This is very poor. For a country where it is recommended that you do not drink the water as it can upset your stomach due to the mineral content then they should at least recycle plastic bottles.

The internet facilites in the foyer also need updating and speeding up. The lifts were also very slow.

Pool was good but all the children ended up in it - needs a separate pool.

For all of these reasons I would not recommend this hotel.

The rooms, breakfast and housekeeping were good though.

2  Thank disco6
Reviewed 10 July 2010

I was very satisfied with the hotel. I got it at a very cheap price, the facilities were great, the food was very nice and the location, although not on the beach, was very central to everything.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank George K
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Considering the extent to which I used trip advisor to plan our holiday this year, its only fair I write an accurate account of our week long stay at the Ajax! The hotel itself is largely as the website pictures portray- modern and well kept, the main foyer area is particularly impressive. The standard room we stayed in was spacious, with a decent size bathroom, both of which were as clean as you could want. Facilities included, kettle + tea/coffee, a travel-style hair-dryer, minibar and most impressively a study code-lock safe in the room free of charge. Small negatives would be- the lack of English channels on the TV (which was however a very nice, quite large flat screen) although I'm sure watching TV isn't what you go on holiday for and the fact that being a couple we had to make do, as in many hotels, with two single beds pushed together. The hotel itself, is not your typical English dominated tourist fare and is used for (I assume local) functions, additionally during our stay we were aware of fewer children around and a generally adult atmosphere which was definitely to our taste! The breakfast was the usual buffet fair with the usual suspects- toast, cereal, full English, fruit and yog etc with the occasional addition of waffles, yum. On the first night we went to the hotel restaurant as we hadn't yet got our bearings and personally I was a bit disappointed as it was a buffet and the only tables were 8-seaters (hardly intimate) so after having drinks we left to have dinner elsewhere- as such I cant comment on the quality of the food. The staff are friendly without being intrusive, there are no big entertainment nights at the Ajax and really its not the type of hotel where the barman becomes your best mate- the tone is more formal.
Ok, so on to the main point I wish to mention- the location of the hotel.
It is set back from the main strip/beach by at least a 15-20 min walk, it is then at least a 30min walk to the first set of restaurants all along/across busy roads. Now my partner and I are both fit, but this on a daily basis was a challenge even for us and we did end up spending a fair amount on taxis. Average price is eight euros into town (one way), a top tip would be to agree the price of the journey before you get in the taxi. Alternatively a bus service runs regularly up and down the strip (no. 30) for 1.50 euros. You can travel as far as you like in one direction for this price and the bus runs until 6pm.
The town has many enticing restaurants, but I would say don't miss out on 'Del Sol'- our favourite of the trip, its set back from the road with lovely décor and some of the best food I have tasted.
The other area we visited was the castle square (this is what we called it) which you come to if you take a left when you hit the main strip- a 10 euro taxi (one way) the drivers will know where!. This is a lovely little area with lots of little shops and cafes as well as absolutely lovely restaurants such as the 'Carob Mill' which I also recommend.

So to sum up I would say staying at the Ajax is for a keen walker, even if you return to comfortable surroundings. The city of limassol has plenty of good food, and good fun :D

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple