“if you visit Nicosia - just go!”
Review of Kathodon

Kathodon
Ranked #9 of 1,047 Restaurants in Nicosia
Price range: US$16 - US$26
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: With my arrival in the beautiful Island Cyprus many years ago, I carried with me a dream, to create an authentic and traditional Greek tavern that would focus on the flavours of ingloriously lost homeland of Asia Minor. I started out in difficult years surrounded with dark and desolation affected by the visible effects of the invasion and occupation! Slowly and with much love and hard work my tavern had began to acquire life and took strength from the preference and confidence you had in us. I came up with the name of the tavern after much thought. The idea of a 'commercial' name didn’t inspire me at all so I decided to call it “Kathodon” which means “En Route”. “En Route” to the way of freedom. Kathodon survived, strengthened and progressed throughout the years and is now here after 13 years stronger, filled with love, commitment to tradition and quality that was always our aim. We continue always with respect to our customer-friend! I would like to point out where it says somewhere in our menu, “We do not serve hasty and nervous people”. This means that food is prepared fresh once you have ordered and some extra time may be required. We are sure there is no restaurant in the world that does not sometimes make a mistake and if this happens to us we will make sure that we will do everything in our power to make it up to you in the best possible way. Our promise for the future is to continue enriching our menu with forgotten traditional flavours that will take you on a journey leaving a sweet taste lingering in your mouth.. These are a few words about the history of “Kathodon”, we wish you all “bon appetite” and may you all have a pleasant time.
London, United Kingdom
“if you visit Nicosia - just go!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

a typical friendly Mediterranean atmosphere in the middle of Nicosia. The decor of the restaurant sets the scene, the people who run the place are just lovely, friendly and so helpful. There was live Greek music when we were there. We asked for meze... and the food kept coming and coming and coming - until we told them to stop cos we could not have anymore. it was all amazingly good. it was a fantastic night, and the highlight of my visit to the city

• Visited March 2014
KATHODON, Owner at Kathodon, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear customer we thank you for your good review, we always try our best & respecting our customers.

Regards Sakis

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Not value for money”
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The food is not something special i mean for the prices the food is not so good very expensive the only i like much is the fetta with susame

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank mcyp2014
KATHODON, Owner at Kathodon, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
First of all thank you beacuse you visited our reastaurant. Always we respect every opinion and always your reviews makes us better. The friend that visited our restaurant tells us that we are expensive... The only thing i have to say is that our dishes is from 7 - 12 ( fish ). Our drinks are on an average price and i think that our prices , service and quality are in high standards. I can accept everything but that the fact that we are expensive im sorry but i cannot accept it. I hope that the next time that you will visit our restaurant you can call on me personally so i can give you the best expierience possible.

Doha, Qatar
“Great food...”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This restaurant is a must go for any visitor to Nicosia....After strolling around old Nicosia this is the place to relax and enjoy a splendid meal.I liked the note on the menu saying that they do not serve customers who are on a hurry...!
The food is just exquisite, and plentiful for what you pay..great value and great taste...

• Visited June 2014
KATHODON, Owner at Kathodon, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your good comments dear customer. We try to do our best with what we serve you and we are glad that you liked our food. We are a restaurant that we try to give our all to our customers and that's why we dont serve customers who are in a hurry. We want to give you the best expierience possible. Hope to see you again.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Exactly what we were looking for... and then some”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Just a few metres from the Turkish border in the heart of Nicosia is the best traditional Greek restaurant I have ever visited. Kathodon was recommended to us by Ahmed, who works at the nearby Centrum Hotel, and it was the perfect suggestion for my wife and I. Right after we grabbed our seats, we were greeted by our waiter George, who made us feel at home instantly. It was actually our first dinner out during our visit to Cyprus so we were ready for anything. I was taken aback and immediately impressed when George simply asked, "Are you very hungry?" and after we nodded, he just snatched up our menus and confidently said, "I'll take care of it" and made a bee line back to the kitchen. I felt like I was at George's house as he took care of us and explained what each dish was and its traditional connection to the Greek Cypriot culture. The other servers were also very informative and inviting. The chef came to our table later on to check on our food and of course, it was incredible.

PROS:
- great location right in the middle of Nicosia and easy to walk to
- excellent wait staff, including my main man George, who took great care of us
- terrific atmosphere
- food was delicious as you could tell it was valued by the locals
- great prices for amazing value
- Former US president Bill Klinton (sic) visited a few years back and there is a framed photo of this momentous occasion inside the restaurant

CONS:
- None. This place was fabulous. Best restaurant we visited during our seven days in Cyprus

WHAT WE ORDERED (a feast for two 'hungry' people):
- Nepo Megalo small plate (2.20 Euro)
- Melitzano Salata small plate (3.50 Euro)
- Mpougiournti small plate (5 Euro)
- Kolokythakia Tra small plate (4.50 Euros)
- Kommatia small plate (4.20 Euros)
- Ofion Kleftiko entree (10 Euros) **highly recommend this, roasted lamb comes in a parchment paper bag with steamed potatoes and spices with lemon**
- craft of Kanata white wine (8.20 Euro)
- (2) espresso (6 Euro)
- Total: 43.60 Euro

• Visited June 2014
KATHODON, Owner at Kathodon, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
We thank you for you good comments dear friend and customer. We try as best as we can to make you feel at home and give you the best expierience possible aswell as a great night out and i am glad we made it. We hope to see you again and if you ever visit us dont hesitate to ask for me personally if you need anything.

Gjirokaster, Albania
“Excellent!!!”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

It is a very good restaurant, with excellent greek food and kind atmosphere. The service is great and I was very confort there. Thank you for your service!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Neta_13
KATHODON, Owner at Kathodon, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
We thank you for your good comments , we hope to see you again as soon as possible and its our pleasure any time to serve you. When you come by again ask for me personally and we will have a good time again.

Regards Sakis