“Very good experience”

Brasserie Au Bon Plaisir
Ranked #28 of 1,007 Restaurants in Nicosia
Price range: US$16 - US$49
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: French authentic Brasserie recently relocated on Larnacos Avenue 87. It has a Facebook Fan Page: Brasserie Au Bon Plaisir where you can discover the menu and get regular updates.Specialities consist in steaks of French origin, cooked to your taste and served with home made sauces, but also casseroles or French specialities like duck confit, burgundy snails, frog legs or fresh foie gras.We are also specialised in fresh seafood. We serve daily fresh oysters and mussels imported from France, crab, salmon or trout.Cosy, congenial and unpretentious. Friendly and attentive service.Wine list covering all main French appellations but also local wines, with good pricing since we import our own wines.
“Very good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2013

Generally the comments that I was hearing from friends recently was that the place "was not as it used to be" so we thought to try it ourselves. I must say that the food was very nice and the staff very friendly. Of course it was a quiet night and we got attended very well as there were only 2-3 tables there having dinner. The fillet steak was very well seared and properly cooked as ordered (medium rare). My salmon was very juicy (it is very easy to overcook and destroy the fish). The wine came at the proper temperature indicating that they respect their customers and the product. I think the place is still what it used to be. it is still a good choice in the generally very poor restaurant scene of Nicosia. Given the times though, I would review the pricing (both for wine and food). I will definitely go back.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Haris79
Zorette_La_Grosse, Manager/Owner at Brasserie Au Bon Plaisir, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Thank you Haris for taking the time to judge our service and quality by yourself, and for writing your review.
We are glad you enjoyed once more your dining experience in our Brasserie, and you can trust that we will always keep up the hard work to enlight that "very poor restaurant scene of Nicosia" you describe.

Maybe you have notived the substantial decreased of the prices of seafood. We are permanently considering our customers comments about pricing, but please also keep in mind the size of the portions and also that we never compromise with the quality of the ingredients we use such as pure fresh cream, real butter, free range eggs or virgin olive oil, to quote some.

About the wines, we invite you to choose amongst the wines we import ourselves, which are of excellent value. Next import is due in November, with an extanded range which will please the most demanding :-)

Thank you again for your comments and see you very soon,

The Team of Brasserie Au Bon Plaisir

• Greek first
“Definitely great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

This cosy and unpretentious locale was a pleasant surprise on a busy Saturday night in Nicosia. Cassienne, our French hostess, was courteous and pleasant. The food was of high quality and skilfully prepared, and although the restaurant was full, we had the attention of the staff when it was needed. We ordered mussels in marniere sauce with fries, and a Norwegian salmon steak in honey mustard sauce with rice and vegetables. Both were delicious, and we topped it off with a crème brulee singed to perfection at our table! Although the prices are not cheap, they are reasonable given the quality, and not beyond the reach of an average pocket. The location of the restaurant is very urban, on the corner of a built-up town square which is not very scenic; but Cassienne compensates for it by creating as pleasant a space as possible with wooden tables, paintings on the walls and romantic candles. In all, it was an experience worth repeating several times!

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank akroatis
Dear Akroatis,

Thank you for your excellent review and for giving a reliable feedback of your impressions on your visit.
We do always give the best of attention to every single detail for our customers experience to be truly enjoyable and memorable. If at anytime we wouldn't reach those expectations, please be sure that we will always do everything possible for you to leave on a happy note.
As you now know, the à la Marinière recipe seems to be your favorite for the fresh mussels ;-)

We will see you with great pleasure again, you and your family !

The Team of Brasserie Au Bon Plaisir
(and your host Gatienne, which writes and says differently, you well noticed that the pronounciation was "Gassienne" ;-) Bravo !)
Nicosia, Cyprus
“Not as good as in the past”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have been to this place many times over the past few years and I have to admit that quality was good, but it seems that things changed..

The waitress presented the specialities of the day and I ordered one Quiche (with 4 cheeses) and mussels (with blue cheese).

Quiche was microwaved (or something like that), it was cold in the middle and warm at the edge, was oily (greasy) and gave you the impression of sommething that was made few days ago...

Mussels were fine but definetely not something special. Average quality that you get at lower budget restaurants. Fries were great.

Wine (a French Riesling) was served at the wrong temperature. I know is difficult to keep wines cold enough during summer (especially in Nicosia) but at least you need to have the right tools to do this, I would suggest to get proper ice buckets with water.

Overall service was ok but slow... the poor girl was running up and down to serve 7 tables (around 20 people).

For 1 Quiche, 1 Onion soup, 2 portions (750gr) mussels and a bottle of wine we paid 90 euro which I believe is not value for money if I take into account food quality and service.

Things to consider:
- Chairs are not comfortable. You go there for a dinner and not for a quick coffee.
- Use of table clothe is recommended. Wood on the tables has worn.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Andreas D
Dear Andreas,

First of all I would like to thank you for the valuable insight although it pains me to learn that you left from us unhappy. Keeping all our customers contented is a challenge and something that we are striving for. However, since this is not the first time when you are visiting us, you probably know this already.
I was unfortunately absent myself, due to unexpected family obligations that kept me in France longer than planned, hence the unique waitress that you experienced that night.

As you rightly noted it was indeed a mid' August night and the band cooler that we are using to maintain the temperature of the wine, was probably not enough; it was unfortunate that since you didn't mention anything about it to the waitress, she wrongly assumed that you were enjoying it and did not ask you if you need the ice cooler. In the light of the above, it would probably be understandable that our fresh mussels special recipe, which we take pride in preparing, could not make an impression on you. But for having tryed myself or having had feedback about "lower budget restaurant", I don't believe we can fail on a quality comparison...

Furthermore we truly hope that we'll have the opportunity to serve you a starter of your choice on the house, on your next visit, which is what we would have done at the time, should we have been given the chance. Also, although nothing was mentioned about it, I trust that you enjoyed the Kir Royal aperitif which is considered as a very special drink ; these drinks were also charged, so as the water, for the bill to reach those 90€ you were charged for two persons.

We took your comments in careful consideration and worked on it. We are expecting your visit again very soon for you to check those improvements.

The Team of Brasserie Au Bon Plaisir.
“Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I went there with friends last night. I had never been to a french Brasserie before so I didn't know what to expect. I got a cold tomato soup for starter and a chicken with mushrooms covered in white sauce as a main meal (the names are different in the menu). Both were tasty and I believe the portions were good too.
As a desert I got a chocolate mousse. On the menu I think it didn't say that it comes with some kind of orange syrup (which changed completely the taste of chocolate) I didn't mind but that wasn't what I was thinking when I ordered it.

The wine was amazing! We got the Muscat Sec, a white fruity whine served with some kind of cooler to keep the whine cool. The one thing that is lowering my rating is the prices.

Overall nice place with excellent service, good food but overpriced. I might visit again sometime for a second chance to try different things.

• Visited July 2013
Zorette_La_Grosse, Manager/Owner at Brasserie Au Bon Plaisir, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Seralios,
Thank you for taking time to write such good words about our restaurant.
I am delighted that you appreciated the quality of the food, the service and the wine, that we import ourselves. Your final rating of "average" is a bit severe though ;-)
I can fully understand your reflexion about the prices (a bit less than 20€ for strater, main and dessert, in fair quantity), but you might be interested to know that we have as a fix rule to select the best ingredients possible to prepare our food. Just to quote some exemples, we use locally produced extra virgin olive oil, free range eggs, real fresh cream, only fresh fruits and vegetables and all our meats are imported from France, which means they answer very strict specifications which reveals to be more costy (free range breading, natural food, no late injection of antibiotics or vaccination, etc).
Also, we pay our employees quite well, to ensure their professionalism and enthousiasm in doing their job ; as a result, our clientele can always enjoy good quality food and professional and friendly service, even on the absence of my husband, the Chef, and myself, which was the case when you visited us.
We hope to have your visit again very soon and be able to introduce you more of our regional cuisine.
Best regards,
Gatienne THIBAUT
Singapore, Singapore
“Love it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

Love the location, very quiet at the centre of nicosia, very good service, excellent food! You have to try the mussels with blue cheese or the streak!!!!!!!

Visited February 2013