“Terrible Service And Dirty Rooms”

Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre
Ranked #24 of 26 Hotels in Nicosia
Beirut, Lebanon
“Terrible Service And Dirty Rooms”
Reviewed 31 January 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn from Jan 17th to the 19th.
First, I was placed in room 401, and as I was about to get into bed, I found HAIR, various lengths of hair. I called room service and they sent a bellboy to give me keys to a new room, since it was 10:30 p.m. and no one was available to change bed sheets.
So, I was secondly placed in room 158, where I also found HAIR in the bed. I called again and this time the manager came upstairs to see for herself, and she saw it: various lengths and shapes of hair. She told me it was from the laundry. And again I was led to a new room: 153.
The manager and I inspected the bed sheets and this time there was no hair. However, as she was leaving I noticed that the bathroom was noisy. Apparently the toilet was leaking. Again, they couldn't send anyone to fix it because it was now 11 p.m.
For breakfast, even though, it is mentioned in the menu that breakfast is served until 10:15 a.m., the waiters started packing the buffet at 10:05, without giving notice to any of the guests! They just started clearing everything.
This hotel was the worst service, the worst rooms, the dirtiest I've seen.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Reem848
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Dear Reem848,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I'm glad your concerns with your room accommodation were addressed during your stay. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had due to this concern and the breakfast. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 20 January 2013

prices are ok but need renovation urgently
no flat screen, old bathroom.)
happily location is one of the best of the city, you can go by walking almost everywhere.
Executive floor is on first floor and dont give a real upgrade to your stay. Choose a classic room at 2nd or 3rd floor at least
Excellent points are, the bed: very good quality and spa with indoor swimming pool : unexcpected and very distressful
Be carefull internet is supposed to be free but can be bill at the end of your stay, Take a screenshot of hotel website before your stay for avoiding any dispute

Room Tip: no executive floor, prefer 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Mykosher,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. I am glad that you liked our beds and our location.

However, I would like to apologize if you didn't find our hotel to your liking and if some amenities fell below your standards. We value your comments as they help us to improve our services and maintain the very high standards of service our guests expect.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Nicosia hotels

Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This hotel is waking distance from shopping area in old city. It has a public parking area just in front of the hotel. The rooms are big with two beds but it has old TVs also furniture is old but ok.
The hotel is also close to many coffee shops and restaurants.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed 17 December 2012

A totally over-rated hotel which is over priced for the service that you get. Reception staff are totally not helpful and aloof. The lifts on one side of the hotel were not working. Otherwise the hotel is in a very good location, close to the old centre of Nicosia.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which does not face the mosque on the Turkish side of Nicosia. Otherwise you risk bei...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Dear Justme00052002,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience regarding your stay at our hotel. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcoming you experience during your stay and I regret you received service which was less than satisfactory. Your comments have been documented and these points will be addressed accordingly.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Joel B
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 13 November 2012

It been around 5 years since I was there last time. Unfortunately very little has been done and the hotel has still old TV's, very old carpets and old bathrooms. The breakfast was ok, but nothing to write home about. I will not go back there before it has been renovated, in spite of the fact that it is close to the city centre which is nice.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Dublín, Irlanda
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights in October 2012. Original room looked to be at the standard you might expect apart from the leaking ceiling! (due to rain the previous day which is unusual but should not be problematic!). The next room was less impressive - clean but functional with cracking plaster and unpredicatable hot water for the shower. On the positive side, the restaurant had very few customers when we arrived but the food was very nicely prepared.

Room Tip: Higher floors tend to get hotter and noise from the roof (air conditioning?) can be a problem
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Stayed for three nights in September 2012 on business. Room 612. Overall impression is a functional 3 star hotel which meets the technical requirements for a 4 star.
Room was large, with sofa and desk. Window in corner of room overlooked the city towards the Turkish-occupied side of Nicosia. You have to squeeze along the sofa to look out. Bed was double but too short for a six footer (186cm). Was firm with variety of hard/soft pillows. Reading lights OK. Bathroom was clean, although the loo seat was a little loose. Limited range and quality of toiletries. Overall decor was clean but dated and looked "cheap" as did the corridors and lifts.
A major problem: the water pressure was very low, poor shower head. And it takes ages for the water to warm up. I can quite understand other reviewers claiming no hot water: you have to wait and wait. This happened on all three days (and to my colleagues). Sorry but the provision of hot water with good pressure is a basic requirement in a hotel. TV was flat screen on the wall with a good selection of local, regional and international channels.
Breakfast is standard. But this is a four star hotel and breakfasts should not be standard but something to remember positively. A routine Bed and Breakfast would provide this level of food. Limited newspapers on offer: again not to 4 star standard.
You have to pay for wi-fi in the room. EURs16 for 48 hours or EUR10 a day. This is no longer acceptable in hotels: the internet is no longer a luxury or something exceptional. Charging is simply a rip-off and gives a poor impression. again especially at a 4 star hotel.
The reception staff were friendly and helpful. They allowed me to use their PC to print my boarding card: again this is now a standard and hotels should provide a free PC/printer facility.
Didn't try the restaurants: there are so many good ones in walking distance. Nor the basement spa.
I note that the management are good at replying to trip advisor comments. A plus point. What I would like to see is a commitment to change. Overall impression is that Holiday Inn seems to be a franchise chain which is resting on its past laurels and not re-investing anywhere near enough to keep up with modern standards for 4 star hotels. Quick profits now rather than longer term sustainability.

Room Tip: Might be quieter at back. Be careful: the floors alternate between smoking and non-smoking. Amazin...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sgreenslo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Nicosia City Centre, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Dear KontikiLondoner,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. I am pleased that you found our location convenient and that you have mentioned our friendly and helpful staff. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering superior service and are happy doing so.

However, the comments about the bathroom conditions are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Most importantly, I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Janice A