“almost a boutique hotel in a good price”
Review of The Classic Hotel

The Classic Hotel
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Nicosia
Reviewed 19 February 2010

The hotel is some meters away from Holiday Inn, inside the old city of Nicosia (free part). Old building which has been renovated. Rooms are big, in a very good condition and worth their money, compairig with other hotels nearby. Very nice wine bar at the lobby and great variety for breakfast. Nice choise if you want to visit the old and the new city of Nicosia. Safe and quiet neighborhood.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melios

Reviewed 17 February 2010

The hotel is very convinient situated in the middle of everything (museums, restaurants. etc) The rooms are OK, the breakfast very rich, but the best of all is the bar-restaurant which has an excellent atmosphere. The hotel has also enough rooms for conferences or seminars and an interesting waiting-room like a gallery.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AsterixThessaloniki
Reviewed 7 October 2009

Myself and three colleagues stayed at Classic as part of a business trip. The place looks good on the surface but dig a little deeper and things are n ot as good as you will have hoped for. Why? The rooms are basic, though when they were renovated they probarbly looked quite good. Some time has gone since this and they look a bit wormn and tired. Towels have a grey patina, mirrors are sufferign condensation damage and there is a general feeling that nthe place is a bit unloved. I had wanted internet access in my room but that was not possible wired or otherwise so it was down to the lobby for an extortionatelly priced connection (about 5 euro/1hr). Facitities open and close as they see fit. I had wanted a workout but the small gym offewred no running machine and the cross trainer was damaged (no notice on machine) so that it could have caused injury. No workout. Couple all this with my colleague having an ant infestation in her room (she moved to another room, still more ants, though my room was ant free) and that should be ample excuse, if needed, to move 50 meters down the street to the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Nasty_or_Nice
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We liked our stay at the hotel. It was easy enough to find by car, being close to the west entrance through the city wall (just south of the border with the north), just inside the old city. It is located exactly opposite the fire station. Close by is the Holiday Inn hotel, which also looks like a good hotel but is more expensive.

The hotel is nothing fancy but we came to explore Nicosia. The location of the hotel is great, it is within walking distance of the main sites, the shopping and restaurant areas in the old city, as well as the main shopping and restaurant street (Makarios street) in the new city. Crossing through to the Northern side of the city was easy now, and we had a nice Turkish lunch there. For one of our dinners we went to the XEFOTO restaurant in the old city, which has by far the best Cyprus and Middle Eastern food (mezze!) anywhere, we stuffed ourselves.

Anyway, back to the hotel. Breakfast is surprisingly nice. The bread and everything is really fresh.

Our room was simple and with a small bathroom but decent. It does feel like you are trapped in a city hotel and you don't want to spend too much time in the room.

The main area between the rooms is consistently hot like a sauna, even if it is chilly outside.

Parking is a bit annoying. There are limited parking spaces in front of the hotel and permanent parking is only allowed on weekend and weekdays after 3:00 p.m. So I had to move the car from 9:00 am - 3:00 pm on weekdays to the nearby general paid parking area (in front of the Holiday Inn, about 3 Euro for 6 hours).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Eric1313
Reviewed 16 May 2009

I was there 3 days on business and 2 days with my wife. The hotel was made up of at least 3 old buildings joined together. Consequently the rooms were varied. Our bedroom was a little small but then we had an extra room for the wardrobe and another desk and chair. Beds were comfortable and the air conditioning unit worked well. The bathroom was just big enough. The breakfast was very good - with a machine for crushing oranges and a good selection of items. Prices for dinner were quite high (around 20 Euros for a main course) - however it is easy to find good food nearby at a good price. The wine bar was very pleasant and stocked a decent range. I missed a normal lounge - but then it is quite a small hotel. £70 a night seems reasonable for Nicosia.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank fisherab
Reviewed 25 April 2009

On a business trip I want everything "to hand" and the Classic had everything I needed in this respect, either in-house or because of it's central location within walking distance. The hotel was clean and tidy, the staff helpful and the buffet breakfast offered far more than I wanted.

Since I last stayed at the Classic in 2008 the discrete but rather boring "Lobby Bar", at the front of the hotel, has been transformed into the more interesting "Blue WIne Bar & Lounge". As is often the case the live music was on another night but the atmosphere and food offerings were a vast improvement and as it was a lot busier than I remember the refurbishment seems to be appreciated by others too. After a busy and tiring day it certainly saved me the need to venture into the city for dinner.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank BusterGray30
Reviewed 10 April 2008

I wrote this review when I am still visiting Nicosia in Cyprus since I could not tolerate the total irresponsible and damaging attitude and arrangement by Classic Hotel.

I booked three nights through a very reliable internet booking agency with booking confirmed by credit card.

My wife and I arrived at the hotel at about 11:30 pm after 40 minutes' drive from Larnaka Airport where we landed. Already exhausted, we were shocked to be informed that we had no booking and the hotel was full (there are not many hotel in Nicosia). I showed the night shift person the confirmed document but he said that he did not have anything from the internet booking agency and could do nothing. He said that his hotel should not be wrong.

As a foreign tourist with four pieces of luggages, we desperately looked for another hotel at 01:30 am. Luckily, Holiday Inn Hotel was not far and people there were more helpful and we managed to find a room but only at the "walk-in "price!

I went back the next day and complained to the managress. She agreed to check out the reason and after two hours, she called back that it was the internet hotel booking company who was at fault by not notifying them my booking. However, since I immediately complained to the booking agency, they responded that they had already sent the fax to the hotel but the hotel did not read it! The hotel is indeed lying!

What I want to warn you travellers is that this hotel is not trustworthy and care nothing about the guests. They made grave mistake and they still blame on others! The price and the hotel picture may be attractive but be careful.

Chan