“For our wedding and honeymoon”
Review of The Annabelle

The Annabelle
Ranked #10 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I spent a very long time picking which hotel to spend our wedding and honeymoon two weeks stay. I picked this hotel despite some quite poor reviews (considering the price and that it's 5 star) in the past, and booked it around the end of last year for a holiday 5th July for two weeks. We had planned our wedding separately, so this was our location to enjoy Cyprus and our honeymoon. We booked through Thomson which I found to be best value, even being on their A la carte hotel list. We spent a lot more (over £2k) to upgrade to a Deluxe Sea View room for the two week duration, and got half board for 28p. We wouldn't usually go half board in Greece or Cyprus, and we only used it once but that was worth 28p!
The room was lovely, the only thing I would say is the doors to the bathroom/cupboard/mini bar needs a rub down and paint, they are grubby. The rest of the furniture was absolutely lovely and I have no idea what anyone is complaining about. The bed was massive, not two pushed together.
The bathroom had a walk in shower and separate bath, and the shower was great! They do a night service so you get new towels in the evening as well as every morning (even if you do hang them up to use them again as requested!). The housekeeping was great in this hotel, always changing the sheets and the towels, there were robes and slippers which we didn't even use. I love the notes with the flowers on the pillow every night. Much more classy than towel animals! The room was always clean and tidy.
Our balcony had a beautiful view of the sea. I wanted to upgrade to the plunge pool rooms but they were another couple of thousand pounds again which is ridiculous! I'm pleased we didn't as we overlooked them and they didn't have much privacy! The balconies have different chairs depending on your room type! Deluxe rooms have excellent chairs, but no sun loungers. I'll add photos.
The location of the hotel is perfect as I expected. Bar street is a street behind inland. Not that we ventured there often! Then along our road was some lovely restaurants and bars, a short walk of about 5 minutes to the start of the harbour area. I will review the ones we visited soon, so if you're interested check my other reviews!
The doormen opening the door were the best staff along with the cleaner we had. She was great! I found the rest to be generally fine. We didn't get a welcome drink when we checked in that others have mentioned. They took our luggage up to our lovely room.
They have plenty of sunbeds available around the pool, pool bar area, gardens and the "beach" which is grass in front of the sea. The sea is mostly calm and shallow outside the hotel with a lifeguard keeping watch so pretty safe. The pool is also very nice, and our favourite area was the waterfall by the swim up bar.
Being our honeymoon we were tempted to treat ourselves the bottle of Moet they had nicely on display at the swim up bar the day before at about 120 euro! I know... but it was our honeymoon. However the day we spent at the swim up bar started off well, it ended up being ruined by rowdy kids. I have nothing against them having fun but maybe them not splashing pool water into my cocktails at the pool bar would be nicer... Jumping in, bombing, playing with balls and water pistols. This put us off bothering with the champagne which is a shame but at that price I wanted to enjoy the ambience, of which there was none. I could have been in the middle of a kids club. This was most disappointing. There is plenty of pool space, and only thing I would say is maybe no kids apart from babies in the pool bar part of the pool. Making it an adult area would be understandable and much more relaxing, considering this is meant to be a luxury 5 star hotel, this wasn't the feeling I got in this area!
The other problem I had was a waiter by the beach area asking me to sign for a bottle of water from a few days ago that I hadn't ordered. He had confused me with someone else. This made me a little uncomfortable that he seemed to think I owed money. An hour later he asked me again! He was very polite but twice in an hour, really embarrassing that he asked me to pay for something I never ordered. We paid cash the whole time apart from once, the one time we used the buffet for dinner. I think this is probably the way forward by looking at other reviews. Still if you charge to the room surely they should get you to sign so this doesn't happen and innocents aren't accused!
Breakfast was nice, lady making omelettes and fried eggs. Pancakes, waffles etc available. English breakfast dishes, wasn't a fan of this but other people enjoyed it. Yoghurts, fruit, cakes, croissants, fresh orange juice.
We only used the restaurant on our half board once on BBQ night. It was just pork and beef and sauces with the usual potatoes, salads etc. We weren't impressed and didn't go back. No big deal as we never planned to use it anyway. There are plenty of lovely restaurants to sample. I think it's a shame that people stay in hotels to eat instead of sampling what the area has to offer. Not much good for the economy either!
We were also a little disappointed that on check in the hotel asked if there was anything special happening during our stay so we informed them of our wedding date. We had a little card under the door from our rep which was kind. But nothing at all from the hotel, not even a card! Considering they asked, and it was our wedding and honeymoon the lack of acknowledgement grated a little! We don't want "free stuff" anyway, but felt it was strange to ask and then not bother!
I did see some tweets from others about anniversary gifts or birthday gifts from other holiday makers staying in the same hotels in the chain, so I tweeted saying we got married and had no acknowledgement. The last day of our honeymoon, a week after the wedding was a bottle of pink chilled cava in our room. I appreciate the gesture but it's a little late by then. We had to drink it that day and it was a little bit of an after thought.
Now I would have mentioned all of this when I checked out had they asked how we enjoyed our stay, and if we had any comments, but we were not asked. He just said we owe 4.50 euros and they hope to see us again. So I didn't really have a chance to bring any of this up. We waited for our taxi (a stretched merc from the 90s!) and left!
We hired a quad for a couple of days during our syat. It's law in Cyprus to wear a helmet, I checked. Went to Lara Bay etc which was great fun. We also went to Muse which you should visit but you need to book! Pelican restaurant was fun, and they recognised me from my wedding in the harbour and gave us a lovely bottle of wine. We also hired a speed boat a couple of times, went parasailing and on the Sea Star boat trip which was so good although choppy! Cyprus is a great island and the people are lovely. This was my second visit to Cyprus. Last time I stayed at Alexander the Great. I probably wouldn't go back to the Annabelle. We didn't feel special, or particularly welcome and for that price and in a 5 star we wouldn't return. However I am glad we stayed there as the view was amazing and the location was perfect.

Room Tip: We spent a lot and upgraded to deluxe sea view. It was lovely. Not sure about the others.
7  Thank AmynAdamUk
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at The Annabelle, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2015

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your Wedding and Honeymoon at Annabelle. I am very happy to know you enjoyed every aspect of your special celebration.

Your compliments about friendliness of the team are especially appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back to Annabelle in the near future. Please do contact our Guest services team if we can assist you with your future reservation requirements on gserv.annabelle@thanoshotels.com

Duty Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,877)

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We first visited Paphos over 20 years ago, when were younger and poorer. We spotted the Annabelle then, and have wanted to stay there ever since. We used to look at in brochures and say “One day…”. Well that day has finally come, and having saved a bit by booking the flights and hotel separately, we stayed for a week at the end of June. Was it worth the wait? Oh yes!

There have been reviews on here that complain of surly staff, but we found everyone friendly and efficient from the check in with welcoming drink to checking out, and everything in between, and with lots of nice little touches like fresh flowers on the pillow each evening. It was the OH’s birthday while we were there, and we were very pleased to find a lovely birthday cake in our room on the day.
Was everything in the hotel, or our room, pristine and perfect? Well probably not, but that’s not what a holiday is about to us, 5 star or not. We didn’t expect the best room for the price we paid, but what we got was fine, with a nice sized balcony and a partial sea view, and everything worked as it should. The grounds and pools were absolutely lovely, and I took lots of photos of those, that I will be putting up on here for the world to admire. Not a close up of our corroded door knob that some other idiot moaned about. The whole feel of the place was classy, elegant and chilled, and if there was the odd sign of wear and tear here and there- well this Cyprus, and it’s all part of the Greek/Cypriot charm. We loved the main pool area, with its plenty of sunbeds in the shade or sun, and the chilled feel without too many children running around. There was a nice touch when the pool staff came around offering free fresh fruit, but it was usually a bit too soon after breakfast time and we were still stuffed-it might have been better appreciated a bit later when it was hotter. There was no problem getting a drink from your sun bed, but the prices did put us off a bit, so we only had one milkshake a day, albeit a very nice one.

The highlight of the holiday for us was the food. We only used the buffet restaurant, so can’t speak for the a la carte choices, but that suited us fine- especially as you could wear shorts in the evening there- handy when it was over 30 degrees at night. There was a huge choice at breakfast, and we usually had a full English, freshly made omelette or the like, followed by continental with bread cheese, meats and salad, then croissants (try the mixed citrus marmalade) and finished with yoghurt and fruit. Yes, that came in big pots, in three flavours and a low fat version, but that way you can help yourself to as much as you want, then add fruit or honey etc, which you can’t when you get individual pots. That was enough to keep us going most of the day, which was a good job as lunch in the hotel was a bit too expensive for us.
Anyway the evening meals were wonderful ,and again we had more than enough choice to have several courses. My OH loved the salad bar, especially some of the prawn and salmon dishes,
and lovely fresh salads. I even had some salads myself, which is rare. There was a different theme every night, and that meant six or more options as a main, plus lots of hot side dishes.
Some nights were more to our taste than others , but we never struggled to find anything to eat, or found anything poor quality. Someone has said the meat was dry and tough, but we never found that. In fact some of the stews had the most tender meat I have ever had anywhere, let alone in a hotel.
The best themed nights for us were the Thursday “Asian” with excellent spare ribs, chicken satay and Sweet and sour, and the Friday “Around the world” where we hit the Indian selections with gusto! I have to admit to having several plates of the lamb Rogan Josh and chicken Madras curries, and the OH went mad for the spicy prawns.
Follow this with a wide choice of hot and cold desserts, and we ended up very happy and full. The OH became addicted to the Bread & Butter pudding, or versions of it. So much that it interfered with our nights out afterwards, and we had to come home early a few nights because we were so stuffed. Hats off to David and his team, and the reviewer earlier who ate there once and then never again is a fool, and doesn’t know what they missed out on.

As I have mentioned, the only niggle for us was the prices for food and drink at the pool bar, and in the room mini bar. Something simple like sandwiches and chips, or a kebab, was 18 eu. Times two and add at least 10 Eu for your drinks and that was nearly £40 for lunch, which you could probably get for a third of that outside. I know people on here say that these are typical five star prices, but we aren’t used to that, and ended up not having anything. I would have liked to have tried some of the interesting smoothies and lemonades, but at 8 Euros a go I didn’t want to experiment!
The bar prices were that high, 6 Eu a pint or more, that we got into a routine of leaving the hotel for a pre-dinner drink or two across the road, at Splash or the Nest, and we weren’t the only guests over there. To be fair, there was usually a lady on a piano, or a duet, playing in the lobby, and a lot of people were happy to listen to that with their drinks, but we preferred watching the world go by outside.
The mini bar prices, and the water police have been mentioned on here before, but I did find that the deal where they charged you 4 x 1.5 litres of water for 5 Eu wasn’t too bad.
It did feel a bit odd having to worry about not having anything from the minibar because of the cost, or not putting anything from outside into it because you might get charged.

But this didn’t spoil our holiday at all, and we had a lovely time at the Annabelle, and our wish list has been ticked happily. We weren’t all that impressed with Paphos itself- too quiet for
our liking, with a lot of closed bars and restaurants, so we probably won’t be back for a few years. But we wouldn’t hesitate in recommending the Annabelle to anyone who wants an up market chilled hotel, in great location and with wonderful food.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
11  Thank TriuumphNed

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your recent stay at Annabelle. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

Your compliments about the quality of food in addition to the friendliness of the team are especially appreciated.

I apologise that there were some aspects of your stay which did not quite meet your expectations, your feedback has been valuable and helpful for us to make improvements for our guests complete comfort and enjoyment.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Having waited four days i think its time to put finger to keyboard , just to give my thoughts and memories time to come together .I could just say the Annabelle is a wonderful hotel, but feel i must share with you all what makes it such an amazing place. So in no particular order:
LOCATION
The sea front is just yards away, bars and restaurants a plenty and the harbour and castle just 5 mins walk away.(the mosaics near the harbour are a must visit) We didn't eat out once, not because we were half board but because the food at the Annabelle was excellent. And so...
FOOD
Very good buffet style different theme every night .Plenty of choice and all very fresh and tasty. In fact the choice is slightly over the top always came back with more than I could eat. Breakfast equally as good, not quite the full English (no fried mushrooms or plum tomatoes ) but very good all the same. We dined in the Amarosa restaurant on two occasions at an extra 15 euros each it is well worth that extra money great food excellent presentation (set menu but good selection) superb service and romantic. On the right night you get a free firework display from the harbour .
HOTEL.
First impressions are everything so THEY say and there right (whoever THEY are). You arrive to a warm welcome from the door man who also looks after your cases, check in was a breeze, sitting in the cool lounge area sipping your complimentary glass of sparkle, oh and the cool towel was very welcome. We were shown to our room which had a lovely sea view. My only complaint about the room is the lack of plugs so top tip take a four pin adapter. Also the room needed some tlc lick of paint maybe but this did not spoil our stay and believe you me I have stayed in much worse 5 star rooms. The grounds around the pool area are beautiful with lush planting plenty of sun loungers ,we went for the deck area overlooking the sea ,very relaxing.The pool itself was lovely never over crowded and you could get a bath in it later in the day as it was maybe a little to warm.The lobby /lounge area was cool marble elegance and was a beautiful place to sip a cocktail or three, talk to people and be waited on hand and foot.and so...
SERVICE
Quite simply second to none REALLY THAT GOOD !!.Rooms cleaned everyday to high standard, fresh towels TWICE a day and the bed turned down with a fresh flower left on the pillow while your at dinner (returning to your room to cool white sheets and air con on full is BLISS).Special mention to all the waiters and waitresses (nothing is to much to ask as quote "your on holiday relax") in particular JOANNA who had memorized our drinks order by the second night and OLYMPIA who was perhaps the hardest working member of staff i have ever witnessed , simply amazing.The service provided is a total credit to the management it made our stay unforgettable .The Annabelle has the service second to non but its the little details that make you feel special.
ENTERTAINMENT
Lovely live piano music most nights and a two piece live combo on two nights seeing the oldies having a boogie was a wonder to behold .Some people have complained about the lack of entertainment but really who wants karaoke and a knobbly knees competition - not me .

So to round up, this was a special holiday especially as it was to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary (we had a lovely cake delivered to our room ), Annabelle you didn't disappoint, and we shall return. Which says it all really. Thank you Annabelle.

Room Tip: Any floor other than ground level should have a decent view.
7  Thank Stephen R

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your recent stay at Annabelle. I am very happy to know you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

Your compliments about the food in addition to the friendliness and efficiency of the team are especially appreciated.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Chose the Annabelle for our special holiday in our 25th wedding anniversary year. What a great choice! What a wonderful time we had. Everything was top class. The staff are so friendly and you really feel like they want you to enjoy and relax. My husband is quite particular when it comes to hotel food and has not always enjoyed previous 5* offerings. He was more than happy to eat at the Fontana every evening which to me says a great deal! Amarosa restaurant is also fabulous and well worth the extra 15euro. Try it. We met many returning customers and I think we will be joining them in the future. Until we met again Annabelle....

2  Thank Stephanie R

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Annabelle. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated.

I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay, and experienced the genuinely warm, welcoming and attentive service from the team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Please do let us know when that will be by contacting our guest services team directly on gserv.annabelle@thanoshotels.com

Reviewed 11 July 2014

A big thank you to all at the Annabelle hotel for making our first visit to Paphos a resounding success. A lovely hotel, full of attentive and friendly personnel. Beautiful grounds/pools - especially the cocktail pool bar - yummy! Not crowded at all and perfect location to explore the nightlife and as we were booked in breakfast only were able to venture out and find some super traditional restaurants.

Would highly recommend this hotel to friends, in our view a top class hotel.

Room Tip: Sea View Rooms are a must!
4  Thank Hunnybunch1967

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We live in Cyprus in the Paphos area but very rarely go into Paphos. We heard The Annabelle had an Indian Night on Saturdays so we thought we'd try it.
Pleasantly surprised. Food was good ( in my opinion there isn't a decent Indian restaurant in Paphos ) so it was very enjoyable. The service and ambiance was excellent. Will go again and try the al a carte. Such a relaxing evening ...... You wouldn't know you were in down town Paphos! Price was high for the Indian food ........ Think the al a carte offered better value for money.

3  Thank KiliGran
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at The Annabelle, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our new Aromas of India menu and the overall ambiance in Amorosa. I am also very happy to know you will be returning to try Amorosa's set menu which is available every evening.

I would also like to recommend our asian, mediteranean fusion menu at Notios restaurant in Almyra, our sister Hotel next door. It is just above our Ouzeri restaurant on the waterfront and we assure you it will also be a delicious experience.

Please contact us directly if you would like us to send you more information and menus for any of our alcarte restaurants or to make a reservation on 26885000 for Annabelle or 26888700 for Almyra.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Maria Christodoulou
mod.almyra@thanoshotels.com

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Fantastic holiday at the Annabelle in Paphos.
The staff are so welcoming and the room just perfect
Dining at the Amorosa was the most pleasurable experience, watching the boats and eating exception food.
Lunch times at the Mediterranean were excellent and was made memerable by the lovely fish dish cooked for us by Paula the resident Chef.
The General Manager was always in evidence from dawn to dusk making sure stardards were maintained.
The holiday was totally relaxing with Chrystalla always in attendance.
The Annabelle location is perfect being in the centre of Paphos where you can enjoy the varied night life but return to the calm of the Lobby Bar.
Looking forward to our next visit

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple