“Fantastic place”

Ranked #12 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Fantastic place”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We chose this resort for our honeymoon. From our arrival to departure after 14 nights the attention and care we received was excellent !! Hotel stunning. Perfect location and fantastic food. We highly recommend to everyone and we will be returning next year for another superb holiday at the hotel Annabelle.

Many thanks to All staff at the Annabelle.

Mr and Mrs Hirst.

Room Tip: Any room cause you won't be disappointed with this hotel.
3 Thank Maria H
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at The Annabelle, responded to this review, 1 February 2015
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at the Annabelle. Your positive comments are greatly appreciated.

I am very pleased to know you enjoyed your stay, and experienced the genuinely warm, welcoming and attentive service from the team.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Please do let us know when that will be by contacting our guest services team directly on gserv.annabelle@thanoshotels.com

Best regards
Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,056)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
South West
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We cant praise the hotel enough. Lovely hotel well deserving their 5 star status great facilities and well maintained. Most of all every member of staff was terrific - use their customer services don't worry about your travel rep for trips etc. The 2 hotel ladies booked all our trips, car hire etc. at very competitive prices.

Would just say that the pool gets very crowded with kids especially at the weekends (local families' using pool also) so if that's not your thing visit out of school holidays, otherwise relaxing pool bar doubles as a great kids waterfall play area! Didn't worry us but could wind up those wanting a quite drink.

Oh and forgot to say food amazing go for half board!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank aholidayfamily
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your recent stay at Annabelle. I am very pleased to know you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

Your compliments about the quality of food in addition to the friendliness of the team are especially appreciated.

We hope to welcome you back to Annabelle in the near future. Please do contact our Guest services team if we can assist you with your future reservation requirements on gserv.annabelle@thanoshotels.com

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My family including children and grand-children have just returned from 8 days at the Annabelle hotel. This hotel lived up to it's reputation. The staff can not do enough to make your stay a happy one. The best example was when returning late from a wedding one of our party ordered a coffee in the lobby, the biscuit was given without thinking to our grandson who has a peanut allergy. We immediately checked with reception and asked if they could check the packet for the ingredients but were told that they bake all the biscuits themselves but that it was not a problem as they would ring the pastry chef at home (11.30pm on a Saturday night) he confirmed no peanuts present but as I have said it was no problem.
The head chef Dave is a perfect example of what you would want from a head chef, the food is superb and he is constantly about checking that every single detail is not overlooked. He is also very approachable and no special dietary requirements seemed to phase him.
The Fontana restaurant has a very good staff led by George who is really good with the children. I cannot comment on the other restaurants in the hotel as we did not try them.
If there is a downside to this hotel it really reflects on the resort of Paphos and that is the lack of a decent beach. However if you arrived here expecting a beach then you really had not done your research before booking.
The rooms are cleaned daily to a very high standard and the linen changed daily. The air-conditioning was free and there is a mini-bar fridge in the room. The room has a fitted safe again which is free and the room has tea and coffee making facilities and a Hair-dryer
The TV has a number of channels including BBC world news and Sky News.
Finally the best way to explain the attitude of the staff is that they always sounded genuine in their desire to help

Room Tip: The rooms which end in 01, 02 & 03 all seem to be a bit smaller and certainly have smaller balco...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank PhilLs8
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your recent stay at Annabelle. I am very happy to know you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

Your compliments about the David our chef, and the quality of food in addition to the friendliness and efficiency of the team are especially appreciated.

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

With regards to service, Annabelle exceeded all my expectations with the exception of a few tiny issues early on in our stay and also check in. Check in was efficient and friendly enough but after reading reviews on here I was expecting cold towels and a drink like everyone else seems to be given - we were offered neither, though they did willingly give us the much needed cold towels when my husband requested some. I will let them off with the drink as later we were invited to a welcome drink with the manager. Unfortunately the maid put the invitation on a bedside cabinet where we were keeping other paperwork we had already read - week's menus, hotel rules etc and I didn't discover the invitation until after the date had passed.

Considering we were given a free sea-view upgrade, which we were abolutely thrilled with, that more than made up for any lack-lustre welcome.

The thing that most impressed us about this hotel was the food and its location....and eventually the friendliness of its staff. We found one or two key members of staff to be a little prickly to begin with. We got the impression we were getting on their nerves by requesting to eat outside all the time and they often tried to persuade us to take a table indoors when the restaurant was busy, though we didn't mind waiting in the least. A couple of times we were asked to wait upstairs in the lobby bar while a table became available. We found this odd, since from the balcony of the lobby bar we noted there were several tables we could have had that no one was using and they just needed to be laid with cutlery. But then, some days later as soon as the staff saw that a guest, who visits Annabelle frequently and who is treated like royalty, had befriended us, we noticed a marked difference in their attitude towards us and they went out of their way to be extra EXTRA friendly and accommodating - it was great! Though a shame they couldn't have been that way from the off. My favourite members of staff were the doorman who always wished you a good day/evening and always welcomed us back with a smile and a friendly word, the maids who do a sterling job and are always happy and polite, and Chrystalla who comes across as genuinely caring of her guests.

Food was amazing, usually perfectly cooked and with a huge choice. I am a bit of a foodie and it was all good enough for me - except for the breakfast sausage which tasted fine but looked rather insipid because they were never browned. I eat with my eyes first so found albino sausages to be a turn off. Also everything was served at correct temperatures, which is important to me. I was most impressed with the perfectly poached eggs I had on more than one occasion. I would, however, liked to have seen Eggs Benedict on the breakfast menu, but now I'm nit-picking because there was already a vast array of breakfast foods to choose from which more than befitted a 5* hotel's menu. I can honestly say Annabelle's food was the best hotel food I have ever experienced and ingredients were high quality compared to other hotels I have stayed at.

The rooms were nice enough and had everything we needed - shower was fantastic and loved having fresh towels all the time. I found the bed a little hard on my bad back, though I spoke with Chrystalla and asked for a mattress topper and extra pillows, which helped, though I'm quite sure she would have changed the mattress for me had I asked.

Sunbeds were difficult to get for the first few days of our holiday until some guests went home and then it got a little easier. I refused to get up at the crack of dawn to reserve a bed as many guests were doing, and I was shocked at how incredibly selfish some guests were by not only reserving beds by the pool, but also reserving them on Annabelle's beach section too 'just in case' they wanted them at any point. I witnessed many beds reserved with towels, along with small personal items such as books or sarongs for in excess of 5 hours with nobody coming near nor by, while other less fortunate guests sought the elusive sunbeds. I gave mine up to someone seeking a bed one day and took up residence on a nearby one which I noted had been left unattended for over 4 hours by that point in time. An hour later a woman appeared and was most indignant that I was on 'her' bed. I reminded her of the 45 minute rule (1.5 hrs at lunchtime), whereby the hotel are supposed to remove towels and items to free up the beds for others (sadly they do not police or enforce this) and told her that she was taking the p*ss, having left hers for 5+ hours. This did shut her and her grandson up, but then she went and lay on a now vacant one which did not have a parasol (awww pity) and played the hard done to, sun burning martyr for the rest of the afternoon, quite oblivious (or uncaring) as to how many people she had deprived of a sunbed that day. To be fair if you told the staff about unused beds, they did remove towels so other guests could use them. I do think that it needs to have a member of staff who is responsible for implementing the hotel's policy on sunbed use though.

There were a few cats around the place as one would expect in Cyprus. I love animals. They didn't bother me at all and there were surprisingly few around the restaurants at meal times, though I noticed one day there were quite a few dollops of cat poo on the lawn at the rear of the hotel where the sunbeds are. I had to warn children and other holiday makers of it. - not nice when you're walking down to the sea bare foot. I do think the hotel could do a check each morning and clear that up for its guests. They mowed the lawns the following day and so the poo was thankfully taken up by the mower.

The hotel grounds, gardens and pools were really lovely and the hotel building itself was very nice indeed - quite posh enough for me. There were a couple of things that are in desperate need of a refurb though and that is the pool toilets and the lobby toilets. The pool ones were in a disgraceful state and the thing I found most offensive was the tacky feel of the doors - really sticky and horrid, and the floors needed a thorough steam clean as there was ground in dirt in the corners. The lobby toilets doors were sticky too, though they were clean enough.

The balconies off the lobby bar where smoking is permitted really could use some ceiling fans as it was boiling out there some evenings, much cooler inside the building because of the air-con, and some guests were leaving the connecting sliding doors open to try and get some cool air circulating on the balconies. This couldn't have been nice for the non smokers inside but as soon as the staff saw the open doors they did close them again.

We really enjoyed our stay at Annabelle and if we were to return to Paphos again, we wouldn't stay anywhere else. The gripes I have written about were very minor and didn't stop us from having a fab holiday and I have only pointed them out because I know the hotel strives to improve constantly and values constructive criticism.

8 Thank Janie_Belle_12

Your compliments about the food in addition to the friendliness and efficiency of the team are especially appreciated.

I am sorry to know that there were aspects of your stay which you were not satisfied with. Your comments are valuable and helpful to assist us in improving our overall guest experience.

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived to the hotel by taxi the porter help us with our luggages and greet us with a smile ,reception staff are helpfull sotiris and george with a big they guide us in our room and explain a lot of things for the hotel!next day we went to breakfast area and george the manager with a singing kalimera guide us to our table and ask if we need smt special to inform!Our room is big nice with nice amenities .the food is plenty and well cooked ! Outdoors areas are nice with big pools and nice bars and sunbeds! Grotto bar is amazing with waterfalls!are only 2 clouds 2 storm clouds that make us to think about if we return back! The first day we arrived we came for breakfast little bit late 9:45 10 the buffet is closed, the waiters look us strange and 1 lady called Mariela come for coffee order,she is aggressive and give us the impression that we make a big mistake we are late ,she neither tell us goodmorning she through the jugs with tea and coffee she is not serve the drinks!she went to her station and make sooo much noise and said some words to her language!next day we went at 9 and george give us a table to nikolay's station he greet us and we realise that he smell so much alcohol he is drunk!!!!!! Is unbelivable for a waiter!!!!! Overall we have a pleasant stay and we enjoy it!!!!

Stayed July 2014
6 Thank Coupl

I am sorry to know that there were aspects of the service from one of our team which you were not satisfied with.This is highly unusual for our team, and is not the feeling we usually deliver to our guests. Your comments are valuable and helpful to assist us in improving our overall guest experience.

Malton
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was our second visit to this hotel in 20 months. Have previously been to Paphos approximately 30 time in 20 years.

Hotel overall was as you would expect for 5 star. Good points included excellent air conditioning, room clean and reasonable décor, towels changed and shower gel etc replenished twice per day, highlight of hotel were the 2 pianists 5 nights per week, staff friendly and welcoming.

Downside - the food both evening and breakfast abysmal - I would rate this as 2 star, with the exception of the lady who cooked eggs at breakfast.

Breakfast was boring tasteless bacon which seemed to have been cooked in a steam oven and didn't give the impression that the rashers had been separated when taken out to the pack, stewed mushrooms which no-one appeared to touch and a cook came out and stirred now and again.

Evening meal - reasonable vegetarian soup, poor salad selection, main course usually consisted of stewed meat only having carved meat on 2 nights, one gammon the other chicken (catering pack rolled chicken with cheese), the meat on the first night was grilled steak and pork both in a dish smothered in gravy (to us this was braised not grilled), jacket potatoes first evening, second night new potatoes but these were just the same potatoes cut sideways, third night mashed potatoes which looked and tasted like instant mash, even vegetables mixed in a dish, any fish dish was just described as fish (no mention species).

When asked on the first evening was okay by the waiter the answer was no. This progressed to the third night when we asked to speak to the manager and was given an appointment the following day. The manager was very obliging but did not feel that he took on-board constructive criticism.

The whole appearance was as if the chef had been given a slow cooker and the novelty had not worn off.

The manager once again came to see us at breakfast on our last day and we pointed out that he should perhaps people watch (i.e. the number of people who lifted the lid on the bacon and put it back down without taking anything out, with regards to the mushrooms the lid wasn't even lifted). Suggested to him that he put the bacon under the grill and crisp it up and make it more appetising.

Hardly 5 star dining - just looked like it was down to a price and to cover legal obligation to provide food.

3 Thank MarjoyMalton
Thank you for sharing your positive feedback about your recent stay at Annabelle. I am very happy to know you enjoyed your stay overall

Your compliments about the friendliness of the team are especially appreciated.

Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I returned from 11 days at the Annabelle on the 2nd of July. We read the reports on Trip Advisor and went with an open mind on what we would experience.
I am amazed at the reviews that say that this is not a 5 star hotel. Let me explain my view.
We arrived by taxi transfer and were greeted by the doorman who took our cases whilst we made our way to the reception. We were welcomed warmly and with a nice cold drink and cold towels to cool us down. We completed the necessary paperwork whilst seated in the lounge area, not expected to stand at the reception desk. We were then escorted to our room by a member of the reception staff who took time to explain everything and our cases were there waiting for us.
The service provide by the staff was fantastic. All the staff were very attentive and made us feel very special. The restaurant staff worked hard to accommodate most people’s requests to eat outside, such was the wonderful weather. The bar staff were always there at hand to replenish your drink. Around the pool, there was no need to struggle to move a sun bed or a parasol, as the lads who worked that area were there to do it for you. Every sun bed had a towel at the start of the day for you to use. These could be changed for a new one anytime (not sure you would, but some people did), or if you wanted, additional towels to use as a pillar etc. There was sufficient number of beds while we there, but noticed spare beds were scarcer towards the end of our stay.
The buffet breakfast and evening meals were very varied, and always cooked perfectly. We saw several customers request something different to the food on offer, to have something cooked especially for them. The lunchtime BBQ changed everyday and was big enough for 2 people to share, which most people did.
The pools were always clean, and the latest daily test results were displayed close by to re-assure you, along with the water and air temperatures.
The room was well furnished with a very good size bed, and linen changed perhaps a bit too often than necessary!
The location is just perfect. A 15 minute walk will take you from the beach entrance, along the waters edge right to Paphos Fort, passing dozens of shops and restaurants with great views of the Med. Out the front door there are bars of all sorts. There are bars doing karaoke, tribute acts and singers, all on the doorstep, as well as quiet bars. Just 5 minutes away is the livelier area where the bars for the youngsters are congregated, but still have amongst them restaurants and quieter bars.
It was in this area that we found Flintstones bar, which we would sit and people watch!
The hotel had bus stops outside that would go to the water park in one direction, or the bus station in the other (the bus station was just a 10 minute walk away though). From the bus station, you could go Coral Bay for a change of scenery or to the market to buy gifts etc.

The Annabelle’s sister hotel, the Almyra is next door, and you are able to use their facilities too.

As with other reviews about the Annabelle, there were areas that will need attention before too long, which I am sure the management of the hotel are fully aware of. These include: some of the small tiles in the pool have worked loose and will need the pool to be closed and retiled, some of the parasols had torn and needed attention to keep them looking their best and some of the sun bed mattresses had become marked with use over time. The room we were in is, in my view, overdue to be refurbished, the toilet seat has become discoloured, the bath had signs of rust along an edge, the bathroom itself is dated by today’s styles, and with heavy shutter door at the balcony, meant the room was dark with these shut. The room could do with a net style curtain to allow light in whilst retaining privacy.

We travelled with Thomson, but missed the welcome meeting, as reception did not pass on the information at check in. The Thomson resort book was held by reception and had to asked for. I cannot understand why it was not kept in the library / reading area for people to access freely.

And finally a personal moan, when people are finished with their bed for the day, please take the towel back to the pool attendant, that way, others will know what beds are free to use. Also, why do some people need 2, 3 or even 4 towels to lie on a sun bed?

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple