“Awful - very bad experience”
Review of Alkion Tavern

Alkion Tavern
Ranked #64 of 548 Restaurants in Paphos
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Greek Cypriot Taverna (Est 1994).
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Awful - very bad experience”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I went to this restaurant on the last night of our holiday, we were passing and saw the recommendation of the Trip Advisor 5 star certificate review on the outside and thought we would give it a go. Big mistake. After waiting for well over an hour we asked when we were getting our food. It came out not long after the complaint,. The manager came over and apologised and asked how it was and I said it was good (mainly because I was starving hungry by this time - it was very average, nothing special). When we came to ask for the bill, my husband had gone to the toilet and I complained to the manager again about the time it had taken to get our food. He explained that a table of six people had wanted six different types of pasta and that is why it had taken so long. He then started saying inappropriate comments to me, probably to try and get round me and thinking I would be taken in by him. He said he has had the restaurant for 26 years and this is the first time someone had complained. I find that very hard to believe. He has no clue what it means to give good customer service and was very argumentative towards us. We paid our money and left, but I really cannot understand how this is given such good reviews. We have both felt ill since then - coincidence? AVOID.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank nixy069

• Finnish first
  • Greek first
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“A Great Rescue”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Called here after being let down by the windmill. Service was very good,. Opted for garlic king prawns and calamari for starters. Food took a while to arrive but excellent when it did. Mains, ordered the days specials, suckling pig and surf and turf. Food again took a while to come but really good, and well presented. Apologies given from owner/waiter for the delay.

• Visited October 2013
Birmingham
“Authentic Cypriot restaurant”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Great food, personal service and Cypriot dancing Thursday and Saturday. The owner makes everyone feel like a personal guest

Visited October 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
“Good food and dance”
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

We tried the sea bass and beef stifado. It took about 45 minutes from ordering for the food to appear, given the impression it was the time cooking the fish which came complete with head and tail, however tables ordering just after us also had a long wait.

The food was very good and worth the wait and the prices similar to other restaurants. Apart from the wait the staff were pleasant. On Thursday and Saturday nights a trio of dancers entertain diners and be warned audience participation is expected!

There is also a small children's play area.

Visited September 2013
Amersfoort, The Netherlands
“Average”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Certainly not a bad place at all, but I'm not sure why all the reviews are saying this place is excellent. To me this was an average place and not particularly one of the best places to eat in Paphos. No reason at all to avoid this place, but just don't expect something out of the ordinary.

• Visited September 2013