“A second outstanding stay”
Review of Elysium Hotel

Elysium Hotel
Ranked #2 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Guildford, England
“A second outstanding stay”
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We flew out to Paphos on Boxing Day for a week; our second visit to this wonderful oasis. I've just read some of the 'terrible' reviews, since I couldn't believe it. It is true that the surrounding roads aren't Paphos at its finest, but the coastal walk out the back of the hotel is so beautiful that it doesn't matter. The staff are, without exception and from the housemaids to the maitre d', are fabulous. They engage with the clientele, are helpful, kind and interesting - and the fact that so many of them have been there for nine years speaks volumes.
The food is wonderful. I agree that eating a buffet every night isn't my idea of heaven, but sometimes it is just right, and when it ISN'T, we go to one of the other restaurants. When we went in October 2010, we went on B&B and ate out sometimes, simply because we had hired a car and didn't want to be tied to coming back just for dinner. This time it was very much out of season, and the food in the a la carte restaurants was exceptional. O'Shin was superb, but Bacco, with its fantastic Milanese chef, was just as brilliant as I remember it, and the staff are informative, committed and charming.
There are niggles; it isn't cheap to drink in the bar, but the ambience is such that I think it is worth it. The cost of Wi Fi IS more of an issue, and an awful lot of guests stroll up the road to the corner bar where the bear is 1/3rd of the price and the Wi Fi is free. That is obviously something the hotel knows and accepts; I think that eventually all hotels - including some of our own UK 5* places - are going to have to follow the US example and offer free Wi Fi. Even to have it in the aformentioned pricey Cafe Occidental would bring in more money for the drinks there. Actually, that is the ONLY niggle I can find. I love it there. The staff make you feel as though you are at home. We went with friends, and have laughed and eaten and drunk our way through to the New Year. We were lucky with the weather, admittedly, but it was still a wonderful break.
Incidentally, last time we flew BA to Paphos. It is a very short transfer, but the plane was tiny - a 3 + 3 configuration - with no in-flight entertainment ans poor service. This time, we flew BA into Larnaca as those were the only flights we could get. A bigger plane - 2+3+2 - with big screens in the cabin and, to my surprise, excellent food and service. It is about 1 1/4 hours transfer, but for my money a more pleasant trip.
Thank you, Elysium.

Room Tip: I thought it was nicer being in the RHS of the hotel overlooking th sea - the atrium gives a great f...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank Duettist96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (957)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
n wales
Reviewed 2 January 2012

had a 5 night break at this hotel last september and found everything about it to be perfect.although not overly expensive the choice and presentation of buffet style meals was excellent.would recommend an upgrade to a sea view room. both my wife and i beleive it to be of a 5 star status. all the staff throughout the hotel are most efficient and courteous and if we return to cyprus this would be the hotel we would definately choose.

Room Tip: upgrade to a sea view room
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank john w
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 January 2012

amazing grounds great place to relax however there are a few very minor pointers
that would truly elevate this hotel to full 5 star standardse.g. free wifi, walk in shower none of this over the bath stuff, bigger flat screens in room tv's fed up squinting at the little 19" samsung,indoor pool to cold to swim in inexcusable for a hotel of this calibre, some rooms to be
avoided with unpleasant outloook however hotel staff very accomodating when a move was requested last but not least price of a cup coffee can only be described as exorbitant but then
it is a 5 star hotel would come again

Room Tip: try to get a seaview and over the pool room. mountain view outback not good unless you like looking...
1 Thank Louie F
Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 29 December 2011

Not much to say about this hotel. Just perfect....

This is probably the 10th time that we visit this hotel and each time becomes better!!!

Probably is, by far, the best hotel in Cyprus....

2 Thank Christiana_G
England
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We have just come back from a wonderful holiday at the Elysium. The hotel is by far the best that Paphos has to offer, both architecturally and in quality and service. The staff are superb, with every attention to their customers' needs and the rooms luxurious and comfortable.
We booked a family sea view suite, which for my husband and I and my young daughter was perfect. As another reviewer noted, we booked with Hotels 4 U and felt that we had been put into a room with only one balcony was due to the very reasonable price that we paid for our visit.
We booked half board which was a perfect arrangement. The food was excellent, with every choice available and themed menus in the evening, to add variety.
I agree that the hotel should really offer free wifi - in this day and age this should not be a chargeable luxury.
I found the spa prices to be too high to justify a little treat - a shame as the treatments on offer looked lovely.
The outdoor pools looked beautiful but were icy - not that it put off my daughter from using the children's' slide (on the one day it was switched on).
I would recommend a sea view room as the view over the back of the hotel isn't inspiring - shame the hotel can't buy the piece of land behind and do something with it really.
The bedroom was spacious and the bed comfortable with a choice of pillows on offer to suit all tastes. The toiletries were fab, don't bother packing shower gel etc. as theirs were superior.
The only thing we really didn't like were the rules and regulations that were posted up everywhere to remind customers of their expected standards of behaviour. Seemed to work though as it was all very civilised.
Don't expect lots of ghastly entertainment, there are plenty of other hotels in Paphos if that is your bag. We just basked in the calm peace and relaxed and soaked in the beauty of the place.
Thank you Elysium and special thanks to the jolly breakfast chef and Dimitri for his dry wit.

Room Tip: Sea View rooms are the best. Ask for one that doesn't overlook the car park. 3014 did not get s...
3 Thank Rachel P
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I travelled with my parents for a winter break at the beginning of December and from the moment we arrived we could not fault the service. The hotel is spectacular with stunning views from the sun terrace. You really feel as if you have arrived in a 5 star plus. The staff were very friendly, helpful and tended to every whim, (fixing our outdoor light, supplying a fan for the room, extra pillows and organising car hire). My mother is in a wheelchair but there were no problems accessing any areas as it is well catered for. Special thanks to Rita in guest relations for advising us on every aspect of the holiday and to all staff in the restaurants, they were all so friendly - as it was quite quiet they would come and chat to us. The food here was amazing. I struggled to select from the huge variety on offer at breakfast and dinner. I would highly recommend both O Shin - the sushi restaurant - and Bacco - the Italian restaurant. Both fabulous and memorable meals with the highest standard of service. You must try the cakes and pastries made here for afternoon tea at Cafe Occidental too! I thoroughly enjoyed a back of body hot stones massage so can recommend the ESPA treatments. I know I will struggle to go to other locations now as I will always compare to The Elysium. This is how it should be done! My parents and I are already wanting to book for next year.

Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed 22 December 2011

It has been a few months since I stayed here, but The Elyssium is a beautiful Hotel, clean and with friendly efficient staff. The breakfast is good, However all this comes a t a price and really I found many services far too expensive.\First of all how can they claim to be a 5 star Hotel when they dont even have internet in the rooms!! There is a pathetically slow wifi service in the reception area for which you need to pay 10 Euro per day. Only a few rooms close to reception can receive internet.So if you are a business person avoid this Hotel.
Some of teh prices are ridiculous. My wife had 2 martini Biancos and we were charged 66 Euro for these. The reason was that the portions were so small that we had to order triples. Even a triple was hardly the equivalent of half a glass of wine. With a 1 litre bottle selling in Paphos for typically about 7 euro that was something like a 4000%markup.
Another disappointing fact is the really small sandy beach. If you want to sunbathe there is areas away from the beach plenty, but if you want to swim from a sandy beach it just is too small and as soon as you wander out a little the surface is stony and unplesant to your feet.

Room Tip: If you want internet get a room adjoining the reception, otherwise go for those with a seaview. The...
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank travellerfs
ExecEly, Manager at Elysium Hotel, responded to this review, 24 December 2011
Dear Tripadvisor Member travellerfs,
Thank you for taking some time to post your first review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us.

Constructive guest comments greatly assist us in constantly evaluating the level and quality of our services and facilities and therefore all comments of both positive, as well as negative nature, are being thoroughly looked into.

In regards to travellerfs’s comments, we would like to make a comment on the following:

1) The hotel has internet access in all rooms after the upgrade of our internet network was completed in September 2010. The speed of the network is the fastest available in the market.

Additionally we have 3 computers with complimentary internet access for all our guests, in our multimedia room.

2) We consider that the comment about the price and portions of the Martini Bianco are slightly exaggerated, since the single portion is of 60ml (a worldwide acceptable measure) and is charged at €5,30.

3) We find the review rather disconcerting due firstly to the lapse of minimum 14 months between the stay and the review (and not “a few months” as suggested in the review) and secondly there is also some confusion about the purpose of stay of the guest who mentions that he is a solo traveler, but in the review he confirms that he was accompanied by his wife.

The Management