“Fabulous hotel with fantastic staff”
Review of Elysium Hotel

Elysium Hotel
Ranked #2 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Bourne, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hotel with fantastic staff”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This was our second stay at the Elysium but the first time late in the season (November 13th-20th). The hotel is just fabulous, a complete oasis of peace and luxury. What makes the Elysium shine above the others is the wonderful staff. They are so friendly and helpful but completely professional. Everyone we came across from the porters, receptionists, maids and especially the restaurant staff were all so helpful and friendly.

We went half board this time and each night had a different theme. The food was of a very good standard but we particularly enjoyed the Cypriot night and also the Oriental night. We had the option of trying the other restaurants within the hotel (15 euros supplement per person against half board) and would recommend you try O'Shin - Japanese/Oriental - pricey but the food was out of this world. The food on the Oriental night was prepared by the same chef from our visit to O'Shin and the food was of the same high standard. We made friends with several of the waitresses but have to mention one in particular, Irene, a lovely lady who was outstanding in looking after us whether at breakfast or for our evening meal. She always recognised us and gave us a warm welcome. Thank you to them all.

The hotel is well situated to walk into Paphos along a paved coastal path to the harbour, fort and mosaics. We decided to drive into the Troodos Mountains for the day and encountered Cyprus' first snow of the season. This was a lovely experience as it felt so unreal to get back to the Elysium where it was still 25 degrees and sunny. The hotel put up their Christmas decorations during our stay which were very pretty and gave a twist to our usual holiday photos!

I did notice the Elysium proudly displayed their TA Award for this year which is more than well deserved. Wonderful hotel and the plave you have to stay at if you visit Paphos.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with sea view facing the swimming pools as you can experience the sun setting each...
2 Thank SandKA_10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (951)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

From the moment you walk into the amazing foyer/atrium, you know this is a special treat. The management have done a a great job in instilling a staff wide customer service ethos. 7 of us in our party and not one of us could find a constuctive criticism! The fact that the company employs a ratio of nearly one staff member per bedroom, and the majority of staff have permanent, year round employment contracts means that staff have a genuine personal "investment" in ensuring that all their customers go away having had their expectations exceeded. The healthy figure of repeat business is ample testament.The hotel oozes quality...the facilities, the grounds and pools, the rooms, the restaurants, the breakfast (WOW!!), the evening buffet style (the word buffet doesn't do it justice) hot and cold selections, wonderful desserts.......a gastronomic delight.
Special praise to Marios the chef, Lenka (bar and grounds drinks service), Luigi and Marios the doorman. Everyone worked so hard to make sure we enjoyed our stay and that our little man (18 months old) had everything he needed. THANK YOU ALL.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view if possible.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank forkbender
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We booked this holiday from an offer from Secret Escapes. On arrival we were offered drinks and our luggage was taken up to our room. From then on we enjoyed the 5* experience for the whole of the stay. As it was mid-November it was very quiet so there was no pressure on sunbeds by the pool. We were waited on as we sun-bathed and although the drinks were expensive it was very good service. We were on half-board and the food very good, especially the Cypriot night. There was no need to buy lunch as the nuts provided with the drinks saw me through the day. The room was lovely and we had a view of the pool area and some of the sea (we were apparently upgraded to a deluxe sea view from a deluxe side sea view). We walked to the harbour both along the seafront and via the road (where a lot of clubs and restaurants were closed for the season). It took about half an hour. At the harbour is a large archeological site which was very interesting, mainly for the mosiacs and odeon (what we would think of as an amphitheatre). It also only cost 1,70 euro which was a bargain. There are shops and bars at the harbour area and it's certainly worth a visit. The weather for 5 of the 6 days was lovely although the heat of the sun was gone by 3pm and then dark by 5pm. On the one cloudy day we hired a car and drove to see Aphrodite's rock (not worth stopping the car for!) and Kourion (near Limassol). Kourion was very interesting and well worth the visit - more mosiacs and a fantastic amphitheatre. We found the wi-fi at the hotel was perfectly adequate for our needs but slower speeds than at home. My husband enjoyed the jacuzzi but I found the indoor swimming pool was just a bit too cold. The staff were always very polite and helpful. I have a food intolerance and one evening the chef prepared a meal especially for me as otherwise I wouldn't have found anything to suit at the buffet dinner. Overall, we were very impressed by the Elysium and enjoyed exploring Paphos.

Room Tip: Our pool/sea view was nice but when I sneaked a peak at the rooms opposite when they were being clea...
1 Thank Katharine P
United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I was recently in Cyprus with friends and I decided to stay at the Elysium for 6 nights, checked into a Cyprian Maisonette - which gives you a small garden area (mine did not have the view of the Royal Gardens, but to be honest this did not bother me as I was unlikely to use it). Downstairs there's a seating area, with TV, Sofa, Desk and full bathroom, Upstairs King Size Bed, TV, En-suite shower room, and as they describle it a walk in wardrobe (I'd call it a big cupboard).

My only criticism would be that the bed is too wide for the space and there is limited access especially to the side nearest the front of the mezzanine rail.

Otherwise, a truly wonderful stay, breakfast buffet is great and varied, staff all excellent, especially housekeeping who always seemed to be able to service my room no matter how short a period I was away, I assume the Elysium must a have a team of House Maid Ninjas.

I used the laundry service and some t-shirts came back the same day (probably because they were not that busy) and I am not sure what they use to wash the stuff in but the smell was amazing certainly not like any fabric conditioner I have experienced over here in the UK

Room Tip: If you want real privacy the CYprian Maisonettes not facing the Royal Garden are very secluded, howe...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Pauly-london
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This was our first holiday with a baby and the hotel was perfect for this. Changing tables in every bathroom, highchairs in all the restaurants and very friendly helpful staff. Also very easy to get around with a buggy. The room was a good size with plenty of space for the travel cot. The only negative in the room was that the air conditioning did not work very well for the duration of our stay. Someone came to try to fix it twice but it still did not work very well.
The swimming pools were very nice and well kept. We used the indoor pool a lot as the outdoor ones where bit too cold. The big double sun loungers on the beach were great.
The food throughout our stay was excellent, lots of variety and very tasty. My only slight negative would be that some of the drinks were very expensive for example 5 Euros for a small glass of orange juice!
We hired a car for our stay which I was very glad we did as there is not a lot within walking distance of the hotel, but quite a lot within a short drive.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank claire_sayles
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We choose this Hotel to celebrate our marriage anniversary ,our 43 ed.So we searched for a very good Hotel.
The Hotel is wonderfully situated,every good location,the rooms are nice cleanliness is applied to.
The service was good and friendly.
It was only when we got home a day later ,I discovered that my jewelry box was missing from my bag.
I always keep my valuables in the safe.I did this also this time.Only two hours before leaving the Hotel,we packed our bags ,took out our valuables from the safe( not to forget them)and went for a short walk.
On returning to our room ,we took our bag and checked out.
My impression is that however nice and upscale a Hotel is ,theft in ones room should not happen .
Beware !!!!!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marianna Y
ExecEly, Manager at Elysium Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Tripadvisor Member Marianna Y
We would like to thank you for choosing the Elysium for your recent holiday here in Cyprus and celebrating your special occasion.

We would like to thank you for your compliments on our hotel’s location, cleanliness and service.

In regards your claim that your jewellery box has been stolen from within your room and as per our reply in the email you have sent us on November 14th, 2 days after your departure of the November 12th, we would like to mention that a thorough investigation by our hotel security team took place without unfortunately any positive results.

Once again we thank you for having taken the time to review your stay with us.

The Management
Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Bacco restaurant at the Elysium Hotel in Paphos is for sure one of the 10 top restaurants I have ever tried, and I have tried a lot believe me. We walked in and Luigi (the restaurant manager) and Valentin were expecting us since we had a reservation. A warm fizzy welcome with a glass of prosecco was to start the evening a nice touch. The menu, ok ... I hate menus, are too impersonal, so Andreas the Chef came out and just told him that I had to impress the lady tonight. He did make a good effort and both the lady and I were very impressed with the simplicity of top level cuisine where the tastes were well kept in the ingredients. Just 2 tips, the cheese deep with truffle oil is at this time am writing this review still in my taste-memory... and the 2nd tip ask Luigi to choose the wine for you.

1 Thank PafosTraveler