“Elysium by name, Elysium by nature!”
Review of Elysium Hotel

Elysium Hotel
Ranked #4 of 84 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 19 June 2009

The Elysium hotel is situated on the northern outskirts of Paphos, away from the centre of the town, but within easy reach if you want to go there.

The hotel itself is an imposing building, set apart from the main road out of Paphos, and a little oasis of calm and tranquility. Paphos itself is much more touristy than it used to be, so I'm told, and on the main road you can see evidence of this in the profusion of bars and restaurants, but the Elysium rises above this with aplomb.

From the outside, the name of the hotel is discreetly etched into the stonework above the mock drawbridge, and you are greeted by possibly the most friendly porters we've ever come across - eager to help, and all smiles. The entrance hall is imposing; a huge space, but light and airy.

It's worth paying the extra for a sea view, as the land-side ones just don't have a great view - make the most of the sparkling Mediterranean!. There are a wide variety of rooms on offer, including secluded villa-rooms with private plunge pools. If you can, go for a sea view on the pool side; on the front of the hotel, the side sea view is good, but there is a small area of rough ground adjacent to the hotel that is not exactly pretty!

The private grounds of the hotel are a wonder. From the terraces, you can look over an amazing pool complex, that contains an "upper" pool with a swim up bar, a "lower" pool that curls around the upper pool in a long expanse of water that is great for longer distance swimming, and a central circular pool with a jacuzzi in the middle. There are masses of terraced areas near the pools, as well as a large grassed area, a decked area overlooking the sea, and a beach - all with plenty of top-quality sunbeds, so there is plenty to go round. Again, the staff are great; the swim-up bar staff do regular circuits of the area taking food & drink orders, and the sunbed staff are only too willing to help with moving sunbeds, setting out towels, or putting up parasols. There is also an indoor pool, and a fully appointed spa on site.

The restaurants are also good. If you are on the half-board package, you get access to the buffet style restaurants - but these are no simple pile-em-high buffets; the food quality & presentation is excellent, and there is always plenty of choice. The a la carte restaurants are also very good - we tried the Italian restaurant, and had a superb meal.

The hotel has lots and lots of different areas where you can relax and avoid the crowds if you want to, including a bar area, coffee lounge, library, and quiet garden areas. There is also a chapel on-site for weddings; we saw a few whilst we were there, and were impressed at the way that the wedding parties were arranged so as to be a part of the hotel, but separate from the rest of the guests - unlike some places where you see the girl in the white dress walking through areas surrounded by pink people in swimsuits!

Location wise, as I said the hotel is on the outskirts of Paphos, located right next to the Tombs of the Kings (worth visiting - very interesting, and very strange all at the same time). There is a very good coast path that the Elysium is right in the middle of; to the north, it winds for 2.5km along the coast, beside the Tombs of the Kings, and to the south, it is another 2.5kms, and brings you out right on Paphos harbour. A nice walk in the mornings when it is cooler, and gives you a chance to get into Paphos from the harbour entrance, which is really pretty. If you want to eat out, then just head in to the main road for a wide selection of bars and restaurants within a few minutes' walk.

TIP - if you are going to visit the Tomb of the Kings - don't use the coast path! There's no entrance into this attraction from the sea side - you need to go via the road. it's about a 10-15 minute walk at most.

The only issue that we found with the hotel is that it is expensive. And I mean, expensive! Cyprus is generally far more expensive that we had anticipated, even bearing in mind the exchange rate. An average dinner for two at any of the local restaurants is going to set you back around 50 Euros, and of course, the Elysium is a five star hotel, and the prices reflect this. However,. the quality of the food is really very good indeed, so it is worth paying the money. I'd recommend half-board - you get access to the buffet, or you get an allowance against the other restaurants on site. The buffet alone costs between 37 and 41 Euros per person, so the half board option is good. The allowance you get for the other restaurants depends on the level of room you have, I think it varies between 25 and 35 Euros per person, but they are really worth trying. The Italian in particular is beautifully appointed, either indoors, or outside in a small sunken courtyard. Superb food and very friendly staff.

Speaking of food - a special mention for the breakfasts - huge choice, and again, beautifully presented.

So, it's expensive to stay, and expensive to eat...but it is a real experience, a superb hotel, a lovely location, and some of the nicest staff we've met. We were there for eight nights, and thoroughly enjoyed it, and would very happily stay there again!

5  Thank soulsease
Write a ReviewReviews (3,520)

Reviewed 18 June 2009

Second time for us at the Elysium, and it lived up to our extremely good first impression.
This second visit was between Christmas & New Year, which is actually a good time to see Cyprus. The weather is pleasant enough, almost every day was sunny, but there is just a slight chill in the air which stops you from swimming in the glorious outside pool, for instance (ther's an indoor pool too, which our children loved). In many ways this means you are more dependent on the service within the hotel than during a stay in the summer, when so much more time is spent outside. What sets this hotel apart is the service - the staff are very friendly and attentive, no request is too much trouble, you are attended to efficiently and never have to ask twice.

The public areas are great, with an open plan bar area near reception, as well as a closed off bar in a separate room off from the first where there is live music every evening. Cyprus has somehow opted out of the near worldwide restriction on smoking in enclosed areas, and it was quiet odd to see people smoking inside again. This only seemed to happen in the private bar, and as a non-smoker it wasn't ever an issue for me. The main restaurant serves extremely good quality buffet food, but there are also a couple of themed a la carte restaurants too, one Sushi & one Italian, both very good, and perfect for making an evening that bit special. As we stayed over New Year, we were fortunate enough to be around for the grand Gala Dinner, which involved 10 courses. Many local Cypriots & their familes booked in to the hotel for New Year, which made the hotel quiet busy, but with a very good festive atmosphere. During the dinner there were various live musicians, including a very talented English band, but also some local Cypriot singers, which went down well.

As we have 3 young children, we booked two connecting rooms, so we were spoilt for space, but as individual rooms they were large and well fitted out, with generous balconies and good views.

During our stay we hired a car and drove to the ski area at the top of the Troodos Mountains. Within an hour you drive from the warm coast to mountains deep in snow and a temperature of -3C. We hadn't brought decent warm clothes, so just stayed for a couple of hours to have lunch, but next time I'd be tempted to try the skiing.

I struggle to find anything to say about this hotel that is at all critical. The best I can come up with is that it is ever so slightly away from the centre of Paphos - a decent long walk or less than 5 minutes in a cab, so definitely not the end of the world. Other than that I would say that this is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at, and would thoroughly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank stevewalsh49
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We stayed at The Elysium in the May half term break this year and our purpose of the vist was to get married in Paphos.
We had the most wonderful time, the hotel is beautiful and our view from our balcony was amazing. The staff are extremely friendly and will do anything for you, especially the concierges. The hotel was very clean, the pool area and sunbeds were fantastic, we were there at the beginning of the season and so there were always plenty of sunbeds available and the view out to sea from the grass area is beautiful.
Our room itself was fairly small for a 5 star hotel. We were expecting a lot bigger and asked for an upgrade however when we saw what was on offer, our room was lovely and we soon realised that we were paying for our view and so we stayed put. The room itself was gorgeous but on the small side - I was particularly impressed with the Molton Brown goodies in the bathroom! Tip: If you take out all your lovely Molton Brown goodies and pop thm in your suitcase, the maid will give you more! Do this everyday and you can go home with a hell of a lot of lovely Molton Brown goodies!
The hotel's situation was very good. Its quite close to Ppahos centre, just a 5 minute taxi ride away and the harbour is an approx 20 minute walk.
The harbour at Paphos is gorgeous, the restaurants are nice and I would definitely recommend eating there.
Our wedding day was amazing and the fact that we had everyone with us was fantastic. the stay at The Elysium made it extra special.

1  Thank Gracie1420
Reviewed 11 June 2009

My wife and I have just returned from a week stay at The Elysium and I cannot rate this hotel highly enough. We booked on a B&B basis so can't comment on the evening meals (as we are foodies and enjoy exploring restaurants). However, the breakfast is as good as previous reviewers have mentioned, and kept us satisfied during the day - it really is a great way to start the day.
Our room was great - side view of the sea and just what we needed - no negatives - everything worked, was in the right place and a very comfortable large bed too.
The service at the hotel was extremely good - again as already identified there are lots of staff and all seemed happy to be working at the place.
Bearing in mind that we were in the first week of June, and therefore not at peak time, the hotel was relatively quiet apart from the Sunday when there was a wedding party staying which was also combined with a Cypriot bank holiday on the Monday. But, in spite of this, there was still no drop off in service and availability of sunbeds, for example, was still fine.
All in all this was pretty much a perfect break for us - we really couldn't think of one downside - to such an extent that we both could have easily stayed on for another week, which has never happened before on this kind of holiday. Will certainly look to return.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flyingpasty
Reviewed 1 June 2009

I stayed two weeks at the Elysium with my husband at the beginning of May. I agree with most reviews about the fact that the hotel is indeed very clean, nicely structured, with several pleasant public areas (such as the Library, my very favourite). Our room was very spacious, with a balcony were we spent several pleasant evenings before dinner, enjoying a drink. The hotel location is also quite convenient, next to the Tombs of the Kings and a short drive from the city centre. We rented a car and took advantage of the hotel parking facilities (there is a huge underground parking which I would recommend during summer, as it gets hot). We booked the half board option and although it was good value for money, I hardly found it five-stars worth.

Without in any way implying that it was an unpleasant stay, I have to note some minus points: as mentioned by other reviewers, the hotel offers a different buffet every night, but the food quality goes down the drain when they tried TexMex (and it is not that good for the "international" buffet). Actually, I found it a shame that they do not offer Greek-Cyprus food on a regular basis, since it is excellent and I wanted to taste a lot more of that, rather than fake (and badly cooked) TexMex.

I suppose the international nights are an attempt to please the clientele, but I found it detrimental to the quality of meals offered. And mentioning the clientele, we come to the real weak point of the holiday. I hoped that an hotel this expensive would provide a reasonably elegant environment. Unfortunately, despite the fact that we were there at the beginning of May, the hotel was already quite full and most of the other customers entered the restaurant for breakfast (and sometimes even for dinner) wearing vests, shorts and baseball caps. We were forced to witness an endless display of rolls of fat, hairy limbs and sunburt skin at every hour of the day. Maybe most people do not care about dress code, but I find it an element of respect towards other guests and I think it should be enforced, especially in a five-stars hotel.

On the negative side, I should also mention the noisy wedding parties (basically, almost every other day there was a wedding), with loud music from the reception hall and drunk guests stumbling around.

In fact, the first room we got was just over a reception hall and we had loud music on until well after midnight. We asked to be moved the next day and we stayed in a very quiet room for the rest of the holiday. Unfortunately, one night the next-door guest fell asleep with her TV on and I had to call reception at 3 a.m. to ask this rude woman to switch off her TV, since she was not answering to my knocking on her door (again, the low-level clientele...)

I realise it is not the hotel fault if its customers are rude, sloppily dressed and badly behaved, but it certainly was a disappointment to see such a beautiful environment populated by such an unpleasant crowd. I would definitely avoid the hotel during summer, as it already felt crowded and I would also avoid it, if you want a romantic atmosphere, since there were many families with children so that at times I felt I was in a kindergarden.

To wrap it up: beautiful environment; friendly and helpful staff; good-quality service; convenient location; excellent local food BUT too crowded; international food not up to standards and definitely not the place were you get a cosy feeling.

5  Thank Dierregi
Reviewed 31 May 2009

We just got back from a very relaxing 4 night break at the Elysium. With it being the first time either of us had been to Cyprus we wanted to stay somewhere that wouldn't disappoint. The Elysium fitted the bill nicely. Unlike some of the other guests on here we didn't receive a drink on arrival but then it was 1130 at night.

We paid for a deluxe sea view room and having seen some of the other rooms being cleaned, ours didn't have as good a view as the ones that were at the back of the hotel. Those have an amazing view! Ours was just to the side, room 4010 and although we had a 90 degree view of the sea, its definitely not the same. Don't get me wrong, if we hadn't seen the other rooms we'd have been over the moon with ours. We did try to change rooms the first couple of days but they were all full.

Beds are enormous and rooms well appointed. Including the smoothest patio doors I've seen which switch the air con on and off depending upon whether the doors are open or not. We didn't miss the lack of tea/coffee facilities in the room, partly because we were warned by this site before we went. I do wish we'd tried the hot white chocolate from the cafe downstairs though.

We spent every day on the sun loungers - which are excellent. Service is very good indeed with drinks brought to you by waiters (+ Trude) You get a choice of lounging by the numerous pools, or on the grass overlooking the ocean and the hotel or on the private, exceptionally well kept beach.

We spent at least half a day walking along the coast into Paphos and further down the coast and back. 40 mins along the coastal path to the harbour. Probably walked past a dozen or more hotels en route, including one of the luxury hotel of the world group. We were both agreed though that the Elysium is the best. It really is a stunning place and spotlessly clean. Everywhere!

The views of the sunsets from the gorgeous terrace are scintillating. I couldn't stop taking photos. There are photo opportunities all over the hotel, it really is a very attractive place indeed. We both found it incredibly difficult to haul ourselves away and would quite happily have stayed another week.

Due in part to the proximity of the hotel from the harbour and the quality of the restaurants to be found on site, we decided to eat at the hotel every night. Bacco, Mediterranean night, Cyprus night - all were very good but Med night our favourite. Breakfasts are excellent. Lunch very good too, if a little expensive! It was $14.50 for a chicken caesar salad and $30 for fish of the day. There are cheaper options such as the club sandwich or pizza but even those are $13.50.

I'm not certain we'll go back to Cyprus but if we do I am certain where we'll stay! Elysium must be the best in Paphos!

4  Thank Ryan S
Reviewed 26 May 2009

We've just returned from a 10 day stay at the Elysium Hotel. We were not disappointed, the reviews on this site are pretty accurate and fair.

The hotel is located to the north of the harbour, about a 30 minute walk (if you take the road, there is also a coastal path which I didn't use). However, with the excellent food in the hotel, and dozens of nearby restaurants and bars, I only went to the harbour once. The airport transfer time is around 20-25 mins by car.

The hotel is impressive from the outside, and does not disappoint inside. Everything is spotless and well-decorated. Unlike many hotels I've stayed in, there are no grotty corners to be found where standards have slipped. Expect to be greeted with a complimentary drink while the friendly and efficient reception and porters sort out your luggage. We stayed in the entry level inland twin view room, and didn't seen any reason to pay more to upgrade, although the option was there. The rooms are a decent size with TV (which has BBC1/2, ITV and Channel 4 if you are missing home!), hairdryer and minibar. Contrary to previous experiences, the minibar prices are comparable with the bar prices. The bathrooms are marble and very clean. We had some Molton Brown and some Prija toiletries. The one negative point was the lack of tea and coffee making facilities in room.

Breakfast and buffet dinner are taken in the Lemonia Restaurant, and is generally superb, certainly the best buffet I've had in Europe. Each night is themed differently e.g. fishermans, texmex, carvery, mediterranean, asian etc. The staff are friendly and usually efficient, although we noticed a slight deterioration in the service as the hotel became busier throughout our stay. Alternative evening meals can be taken at the O'Shin Sushi bar, which is excellent (the service from Luigi and the chefs was outstanding), and Bacco, which is Tuscan cuisine, and is probably better than the meal we experienced. Those on halfboard get 25 euros credit each towards the a la carte menus in these restaurants. There is also the Mediterraneo restaurant for lunch. The Epicurian restaurant was only used once for a Cypriot night buffet during our stay.
Snacks can also be purchased from the pool bar and the Cafe occidental by reception.

The hotel is not cheap. As a guide, a small coke is about 3 1/2 euros, a large beer is 6, a wrap for lunch would set you back 8, and the cheapest bottle of wine is 21 euros (Persefoni- really quite nice!), but increases rapidly after that. Expect to pay 15-20 euros for a lunchtime meal at the Mediterraneo plus drinks. There is a small shop in the hotel , but hours and stock are surprisingly limited for a hotel this size, they don't carry any drinks at all. A small supermarket is located a couple of hundred metres away in the neighbouring hotel and there are plenty of nearby bars and restaurants.

The clientelle are varied, with English, German, French, Greek and Russian all well represented, and staff seem to speak all these languages to a point, but English is the Lingua Franca, we saw no menus in any other languages which caused some residents some issues. There are dress codes for the restaurants and general hotel areas which are respected. If you are after a quiet holiday then book a room around the adults-only Royal pool, or go out of season, we caught the beginning of the half-term holiday and the difference between the first 5 and last 5 days of our holiday was quite marked!

Overall it is a lovely hotel which I thoroughly recommend, and would definitely stay at again.

2  Thank DrMatt