“Fantastic Wedding”
Review of Almyra Hotel

Almyra Hotel
Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed at the Almyra for our wedding in May 2012 and had a fabulous time! The hotel far exceeded our expectations. The staff were exceptional and could not do enough for you, so friendly and a real credit to the hotel.

The location of the hotel was just perfect, a few minutes walk from the harbour with an abundance of restaurants and bars, also lively nightlife close by but not too imposing, a perfect mix!

We stayed in a superior sea view room for 4 nights and then in the Kyma Suite for the last three nights. The Sea View room was clean and spacious and the view was breath taking, well worth the extra money. The rooms could do with a little sprucing up but only if you are being picky! The mini bar was kept well stocked, towels changed everyday and room service extremely prompt. We booked B&B for our first three nights and half board whilst in the Kyma Suite but on arrival we were upgraded to half board for our whole stay and invited to eat at the Mosaic Restaurant. On the few occasion we had our evening meal at the hotel, the food was superb, a wide variety and top quality. The Kyma Suite was outstanding, very spacious and modern with that extra bit of privacy. We stayed around the adult pool area in the day which was lovely and peaceful, a perfect place to chill out.

The Notios Restaurant near the pool was fantastic, excellent service and menu, not to mention to choice of cocktails! The Ouzeri Restaurant offers great selection of traditional cypriot meze where you can sit on a ledge over the sea - gorgeous! The Amyra Spa was lovely, great for relaxing and chilling out, the staff again so warm and friendly. We also booked spa treatments for our mums as a special thank you.

We had our wedding ceremony on the Kyma Lawn overlooking the sea which was just beautiful, followed by drinks on our very own Kyma Rooftop watching the sunset. We had our reception on the West Mosaics Terrace which was perfect, the food was faultless. We both had an amazing day, as did our 24 guests, all thanks to our fantastic wedding planner - Mandy at Cyprus Wedding Paphos, a truly amazing lady, we can’t thank her enough. (www.cyprusweddingpaphos.co.uk) Mandy made arranging our wedding completely stress free, her wealth of expertise was invaluable, everything from the flowers and photographs to the hairdresser was fantastic.

We will definitely be returning to the Almyra very soon! Superb hotel, perfect location, staff fantastic, ideal wedding venue, Mandy at Cyprus Wedding Paphos - an absolute star and highly recommend to anybody getting married in Paphos!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heather25_12

Reviewed 24 June 2012

What do you expect of a hotel where you pay 230 euro for one night? At least a good night sleep. Almyra was not able to offer this. The rooms are so noisy. The hotel was packed with families with small children. So in the evening, the night and morning (and during the day at the overcrowded swimming pool) you hear them having fun, shouting and crying. The rooms are not soundproof at all (you can even hear people walking in the hallways) so that is why we hardly slept. We complaint and were told that the hotel is a family place but has also an adult only section. However that section was fully booked. Now we understand why they offered us an upgrade (but why not telling us during our last minute booking such essential info?). A drink was offered for a night not sleeping. Very disappointing. The rooms need an uplift (the black painted wood in the room was damaged) and the bath rooms are small (you need to take a shower standing in the bath tube). This place deserves in no way a 5 star grading.
Staff is friendly, good gym, strange policy for the swimming pool sun beds where people block the beds for 40 minutes without using them (we were having a morning swim with hardly people around us but we were not able to use any of the beds), fine tennis court, food ok but we will never return. There are many other hotel options in busy Phapos for this amount of money. Our advice is do not choice Amyra if you want to have a romantic, relaxing time.

Room Tip: The rooms at the sea side are very over priced but we think it's not worth staying at this place...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JAEMH
Reviewed 22 June 2012

After having our holiday to Barbados cancelled three weeks before half term we were given some equivalent options for the price and expected a once in a lifetime holiday experience.
On arrival the hotel had a nice feel about it and we were looking forward to a good holiday.
The hotel tries too hard to be a family hotel and a wedding hotel.
The two don't mix as on many occasions the noise of the weddings woke my children up.
We had a road facing room which is also very noisy from traffic and other holiday makers.
The hotel had a rule for dinner where children ate between 6/8 pm but only from a buffet. Adults couldn't touch the main eating area till 8 which I was told off for doing at 7.55. Trivial
After the first two days sitting on the beach because we had no bed and umbrella around the pool I found myself getting up 6.30 in the morning in order to get one. I sat there for two hours watching beds with towels on and no one on them.
The hotel isn't a 5 star and plays at it.
It's clean and modern but small and had to book two rooms.
The prices for wine and beer are far too expensive.
Moving to another hotel for dinner when a wedding is on isn't fair.
The bar staff are untrustworthy.
This holiday cost over £7000 for nine nights and my wife and two young children had a very late flight home.

Room Tip: Make it sea facing.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Ron E
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I've just returned from a week at the Almyra Hotel with a good friend. We both had a lovely stay at this hotel...the staff were great and very polite, the food was lovely, the seaview room was stunning. I don't have anything bad to say about this hotel...the Greek (and a few Eastern European) staff were always very attentive and helpful and the surroundings were beautiful!!!!!
We went for a relaxing and chilled week, and that is exactly what we received....both of us would most def return and recommend the hotel to others.
The hotel is great for couples or group of friends. The hotel facilities including spa were very good...I used the gym a few times. The only thing I'd say about the gym is that a few mirrors would be great!
Excellent hotel.....5* service!

Room Tip: We had seaview which was great!!! you have a direct view to the sun loungers lol
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chezza76
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Treated my wife on her 50th, and she loved it. Having read some reviews I had certain concerns, but all were banished once we entered our Kyma Suite. It may not he equivalent of many city type "all the gadgets", but the room was very spacious and tastefully decorated. Walking out onto our terrace, ot lying on our sublimly comfortable sunbeds whilst viewing the open sea and harbour was all we wanted. Seldom can you take the stairs to your own personal rooftop terrace and watch the sunset over the bay and harbour. The ala carte restaurant was exceptional (french chef), and the breakfast offerings and variety was very good. Yes some of the rooms may be less favourable, but isn't that true of most hotels which do not a sea view to every room. The spa area with indoor and outdoor pool is the essence of calm. In summary we visited many of the supposed better rated hotels and hotel restaurants around Paphos harbour, and found them very similar, whilst lacking in the uniqueness that the A|lmyra offered,

Room Tip: The superior sea-view (balcony or terrace rooms will offer you beautiful views. Like most hotels the...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kmck01
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Our experience at The Alymra was luxurious and outstanding.  We stayed in Room 116, which was clean, modern, cool and spacious.  The housekeeping was incredibly attentive, friendly and frequent and the air conditioning and shower (admittedly we never once used the TV) were easy to use and more than adequate.

We had a half board stay, and even thought we hadn't expected to, we ate in the Mosaics restaurant almost night.  The food was extremely good - so fresh and so many flavours and variety.  We particularly enjoyed the Asian, barbecue and the Tastes of Cyprus themed evenings. Due to a wedding, we were transferred to The Annabelle on one evening, and thoroughly enjoyed the outdoor buffet right on the coast in the sunset.  We also ordered a fair amount of room service, which was always to the same high quality and delivered promptly and beautifully presented.

Being un-child friendly, we spent a fair bit of our time within the resort in the Over 16s Almyra Spa area, which was perfect for us. We barely stumbled across a single child throughout our stay, apart frim when we ate early. The food in Eauzone (spa restaurant) was a delightful menu and delicious, and the facilities beautifully clean and tidy.  I visited the gym on many occasions which I found cool and sufficiently stocked, and was impressed with the provision of hand towels and balcony shaded "yoga areas". The basement showers were lovely.

My partner and I both had treatments at the Almyra Spa.  After 5 days I was suffering from a very angry and itchy outbreak of heatrash (possibly from applying too much sun cream as I am very fair skinned) and Lauren was incredibly sympathetic and helpful in recommending something to ease the prickly itching and make my skin more comfortable.  The lady who performed my treatment (Genala?) was very sensitive to my embarrassment of my lumpy red and spotty skin and put me at ease with her knowledge and advice to treat it.  She even gave me some of the product to take away in a plastic cup, and within 24 hours it had almost disappeared and the irritation completely stopped, which I was so grateful for.  My partner said the 30min back amd scalp massage he had was the best he had ever bought.

The staff are a credit to a quality and luxurious establishment, and whilst the facilities and accommodation are maintained at an incredibly high standard, the staff are exceptional and I believe to be the USP for this establishment.  I loved Cyprus and I loved the Almyra hotel and spa.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer_V103
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Who said the best holidays have to be in a perfect place...when it comes to that the Almyra is a beautiful hotel, not without its little imperfections, but oh my, the people...the people were all WONDERFUL!

From a warm welcome with a traditional Cyprean sweet and a glass of water, to the prompt arrival to our room (which by the way was fabulous - boosting some incredible views) our stay was all but amazing!

We were touched by the hospitality of the people working at the hotel, from our incredible porter Marcos who is an fantastic character, to Elena & Dorrel at the restaurant and Dorothya and the rest of the team at the spa/pool (the adult only area which is fab for catching the sun , getting a splash and having a good and proper chill out!) our stay was filled with wonderful memories of moments this people gave us with their friendliness and caring service. All you need to do to have a great time at the Almyra is be nice to people and they will do anything for you!

This place restored my believe in the goodness of people they are genuine and friendly and if I could I'd bring them all back home with me to make this place a better place.
But don't get me wrong, this was not only at the Almyra, it repeated itself all across the small island! Cyprus is a wonderful place!

Now for those of you thinking of the hotel, I am a bit of a fuzz pot when it comes to where I stay, and the hotel, although very clean, still looked a bit tired (please take this with a pinch of salt as I say I am extremely fuzzy) the little details could've been looked after a tiny better, things like the bathroom shower head on the wall, was not straight! and the wonderful looking white featuring lamp hung a bit wonky not straight (told you I was fuzzy) The floor was marked around the bed's legs where it gets dragged I imaging for cleaning. But this did not take anything away from my enjoyment. It was a clean white room.

We had one of the suites (Antheon it think), not one of the really large ones but a suit non the less, which was brilliant. We had a beautiful welcome basket full of delicious fruit which lasted us until our departure date and we enjoyed every morning bit by bit. There was a welcoming bottle of water (I do believe it would be a nice touch to give you at least one every day as complimentary, some of the other hotels I have stayed of late make a practice of that now) A small yet decently stock mini bar (if a bit pricy).

The bed was a king size and comfortable although the pillows were a bit hard (but again we all have our preferences).

The quality of food at the restaurant (the buffet) was excellent, we are not great lovers of the buffet style food, but this one really impressed, the desserts chef is amazing! Food comes out in small platters and gets topped up regularly so you are always enjoying fresh food. And its also tucked in a corner so you don't feel like you are on a canteen! And the general ambiance on the restaurant was great!

We only got to try the breakfast on our last day, because as everywhere in the continent, their breakfast is served until 10, and if you are a late riser like us, you'll miss it! But again, it was quite special. However on the plus side, for a small supplement (we are talking I think though can't remember exactly about 3-5 euros per room) and you'll get to enjoy a delightful brought to your room Continental breakfast with delicious pastries, toast, fresh orange juice and tea or coffee which was simply Yummy!

The hotel is perfectly located, not too far away from town to walk but not close so you get all the noise emanating from it.

All and all a fabulous place to stay and if or rather when I get back to Cyprus, I will stay there again without hesitation! Well worth the money we paid!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple