Almyra Hotel
Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 31 August 2014

In around the fourth century AD, the Visigoths ransacked many of the most beautiful Roman buildings and treasures. In the far west tip of Paphos, testament to Rome's craft and sheer beauty lies preserved for us to enjoy to this day with its delicate and intricately crafted mosaics among the ruins of the Roman outpost. Approximately sixteen hundred years after the VIsigoths arrived to blight the natural and man-crafted beauty of Paphos, a far more destructive force arrived - the British tourist. I'm not proud of my recent ancestors - helping to turn what I assume to be a once tranquil fishing town into a utopian Southend. Pizza Hut, KFC, Pizza Express and Costa and Starbucks dominating a town that could and should be home to authentic tavernas is a sad reflection on the needs of tourists.

The Almyra is a near perfect mosaic nestled in the ruins of tourism. It's an elegantly thought through family friendly utopia that I would unquestionably recommend to anyone wanting a week of guaranteed sun, and more importantly, happy children. The hotel has a zonal feel about it - energy and excitement around the family pool area, then a zen like tranquility around the spa pool complete with gorgeous infinity pool. We had an adjoining room with an expansive sea view which was relatively basic but spacious with good air conditioning when we needed it to escape the intense August heat and humidity.

If I have a few niggles it's mainly around the inflated prices for drinks and meals not supplied as part of our half board accommodation. 5 Euros for a 3/4 size pool side pint of standard lager in a plastic cup is steep. As too is 4 Euros for a bottle of water or an ice cream which becomes excessively expensive if you're there for a week or more with a family of four. So we tended to stock up on water from the little kiosk opposite the hotel in the mornings and eat out at anything resembling "traditional" at lunch times. Despite this, we still racked up over £1,000 in the course of the 12days on extras such as food and drink, so be prepared! The other little niggle is that the Almyra positions itself as 5 star, when, despite the contrast it has over and above local rivals, is a little optimistic as it misses the little touches that truly distinguishes a 5 from 4/4.5 star hotel.

If you're going I'd recommend that you have lowish expectations of Paphos, and hire a car and drive inland towards the Troodos mountains and see some of the better beaches (avoid the weekend). But you should have quite justifiably high expectations of the Amlyra - especially the staff who are in our opinion some of the best, most accommodating and delightful we have ever encountered. They are nothing but a credit to this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid inland view at all costs. Don't accept a smoking room and if you can, avoid being next to...
1  Thank Berisford C
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at Almyra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2015

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback. We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay overall.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed the adult only Almyraspa, original restaurants friendly service. Your comments have been communicated to the team also.

Your comments about the price of some beverages are appreciated, and helpful with the view to ensuring our guests experience a completely satisfied experience.

Thank you again, and we sincerely hope to welcome you back to Almyra soon

mod.almyra@thanoshotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,287)

Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We visited The Almyra last year. We opted for the 'Inland/Garden View' room. We were slightly apprehensive as the reviews on TripAdvisor said that it was really noisy in this room with the road nearby. When we arrived, our room was very clean, very contemporary looking with a view of the gardens. It was a little noisy in the afternoon to be fair with the crickets etc. At night, all was peaceful and we slept incredibly well. The staff couldn't do enough for you during our stay and made it really enjoyable, especially at meal times. The 'Couples Infinity Pool' is just amazing! Very luxurious and the sun beds were very comfortable. The only things that winds me up is the fact that people get up early and put their towels on the beds...then disappear for 2-3 hour and expect to still have a bed. This is really annoying and it was the peoples fault, not the hotels! There was a '45 Minute Rule' in place during our stay which gave us enough time to get lunch etc. We usually like to eat out in the evenings. However, the food was incredible at the hotel so we didn't even feel the need to go elsewhere! The food was fresh and tasty with a huge variety to choose from. They had a different theme for each night which was highlighted on the menu in our room. It was amazing at breakfast time too! If you are wanting to eat out, it is worth paying extra to eat at the 'Meze restaurant' on the sea front and in front of the hotel. The food was simply stunning. Probably the best ever meal we have eaten abroad! Overall, the customer service, the food, the location and the relaxed atmosphere gives this hotel it's 5 stars! Nice work Almyra!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flintinio17

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments, which we appreciate your description of Almyra being very special. We are very pleased to know you had an enjoyable stay with us overall. Your comments have been passed on to the team also.

Your comments about the 45 minute sunbed rule are appreciated, and we have take measures to ensure they are consistently maintained during the busiest times.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Almyra in the near future

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Have just completed another wonderful stay at the Almyra Hotel in Paphos. I first discovered the hotel in August 2009 when my little boy was 2 years old. Travelling as a single parent can be a daunting experience, especially with such a young child. The Almyra takes all the fear and concerns away. Ideally situated near to Paphos harbour and a stones throw from the sea, the hotel is an oasis of calm and tranquility where you can relax, unwind and trust that all your needs will be catered for. Overseen by the effortlessly calm Resident Manager Ashley, the staff excel at making sure your stay is flawless. From your arrival at check-in you are swept up in their care and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are clean, fresh and cool and represent the boutique nature of the hotel. The food is fantastic, with a huge selection of freshly prepared dishes to suit all tastes. And, if you want a break from the buffet there are two other onsite restaurants with a la carte and set menus, plus the option to dine at the sister hotel right next door. Room service operates 24 hours a day, which special express menus for a quick snack. The pools, one family one adult, are lovely with wonderful daybeds to lounge on whilst ordering refreshing drinks from the poolside bar. And, when you want a little me time, the Explorers Kids Club is on hand to entertain your children, of all ages. Over the years I could have taken my son to other hotels around the globe but I've simply asked myself why? I feel safe, secure, utterly relaxed and most importantly my little boy loves the hotel and everyone it it. So, if you are looking for beautiful surroundings, the best hotel staff I have ever had the pleasure of meeting, great food, a luxurious spa, gym, tennis court, fantastic weather, great location and the best holiday ever go online and book now!

Room Tip: If you have a very young baby but don't want to sit in your room after supper then choose the te...
7  Thank Sharpy67
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I do not know where to start with this review.

I have just returned from a week long family trip to Almyra with two children (6 & 1yrs). Friends of ours (who's judgement we trust) went here two years ago and loved it....

So with reasonable expectations we booked an 'Inland View' family room (two adjoining rooms).

First impressions on arrival were a little suspect. We were greeted with a glass of water each and some teddy bear iced biccies for the kids. At a 5 star a glass of sparkles of even local liquor is the norm ?

Once we were shown to our room, you can imagine our disappointment when our 'Inland view' was of a dirty roof with air con units and wiring and a main road on the other side of the said roof. Along with a view of the back office windows complete with blowing curtains.

I went straight to reception to complain and was told there was NOWHERE they could move us until two days later and even then only two floors up (again view would be the same only from higher up) or to a 'Sea view' room for an extra €148 extra a night. Wow service ! NOT !

I cannot express how bad the view was. As far as I am concerned and considering this was not a cheap Hotel and is meant to be a 5 star, I think it is unacceptable that they even have rooms with this terrible view at all.

At night the traffic from the road was unbearable - it woke us and our children regularly and sounded as if there was a racing track outside the room. Mopeds and cars revving their engines and accelerating at stupid speeds.

For the whole week we kept the curtains closed. Depressing.

Bathrooms were small and old. Paint peeling and seal around the baths slightly worn and mouldy - low end 4 star at best !

The brochure should state that these rooms overlook a roof and not market them as 'Inland view' It is blatantly misleading and blatant profiteering as this side of the hotel should not have paying guests in those conditions.

Despite this we kept an open mind.

The childrens pool was lovely. Noisy, fun, covered with a shade all day to keep children safe from the sun (amazing idea - well done) and the pool bar was great (watch out though at €4.00 Euro for an ice cream its pretty expensive). HOWEVER, there was no toilet by the pool and the only facilities seemed to be the public toilet on the seafront. Frankly it was a disgrace during the day (smelly, wet, dirty and vomit inducing). It was cleaned for the evening and was generally a tad better apart from on the final night when it was covered in excrement.

This is NOT acceptable for a 5 star or even a 4 star.

The Notios bar was great for cocktails if not a little expensive (11 EUR for a prosecco bellini). But the staff were LOVELY in Notios (Magdalena and Heli were incredible). The food in Notios was tasty and healthy and they even had purees on the extensive kids menu - to cater for weening babies. Awesome touch.

The staff at this Hotel are the only redeeming thing. They were totally 5 star and were on hand to do whatever you needed. They washed our babies bibs and bottles every time we asked and when our little one could not sleep one evening made us a fresh warm bottle of milk for her. Incredible.

We were on Half board and the breakfast was 'ok' as was the dinner. Not a great deal of selection in the evening but what there was was just 'average'.

On the whole I would not go back. Nor would I recommend. It was not and never will be a 5 Star as far as I am concerned.

I think all 5 stars should have some outdoor space. Especially if marketing it as a 'family friendly' hotel...how else can parents get valuable time alone without keeping their kids up far too late.

Un-mowed lawns, dirty toilets, lack of aircon in random parts of the Hotel, bad rooms. All not acceptable for a 5 star. We have had far better experiences at far cheaper Hotels.

Sorry Almyra but as far as I am concerned this place is blatantly profiteering and its so wrong.

Room Tip: Do NOT book an 'Inland View room' They overlook air con units and cables. Disgraceful in...
10  Thank littledoylee
Thanos_Hotels, Manager at Almyra Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

The team is very disappointed to read your opinion about your recent experience at Almyra, and to know that we did not meet your overall expectations on this occasion.

We consistently strive to ensure our Hotel, grounds & facilities are maintained to a high standard and we apologise that we didn't seem to accomplish this during your stay. Your comments are considered valuable to us and are being followed up thoroughly.

We would like to have the opportunity to demonstrate to you and your family the real Almyra experience, and sincerely hope you do re -consider returning to our Hotel or to our sister Hotel the Annabelle next door. If you do decide to try us again, may I ask you to contact Ashley Goddard -Resident Manager or me directly so that we can ensure your next visit will be much more enjoyable.

I would like to thank you for your complimentary feedback about the team's hospitality, the quality of food and the covered swimming pool which is appreciated. I am pleased to know that your did enjoy some aspects of your stay.

I hope to hear from you regarding a return at some point in the future

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel must be one of the best hotel experiences you can have. I had a wonderful relaxing family holiday with my children aged 15 and 18. The rooms are spacious and decorated in a simple modern way with a warm feeling. The food is excellent especially if you have the buffet dinner included in your package its really worth it, its high quality and every night has a different theme, the food at the Notios pool bar is very good and the atmosphere is just superb, its a little expensive but the drinks are very reasonably priced. The most impressive part of the hotel is its staff, I have never come across such friendly staff who genuinely want to make your stay the best possible, they knew are drinks from the first day, they don't just say goodmorning they say it with a smile and asked how are day was, they even opened conversations with our teenage children. I had the an interesting insight on the benefits of ginger from the staff when I went to take a glass of ginger water. The concierge truly wanted to help me find the best place to suite me for drinks in the area. The pool is usually busy with families with small children so we took beds in the garden two minutes away from the pool with fantastic views of the sea, and with the waiters bringing our drinks we easily refreshed ourselves in the pool. There is the option of the spa pool if you really want quiet, we had some great healthy smoothies there but preferred the garden. Fantastic place, I could go on and on and on....

Room Tip: Part of the third floor is for adults only and have wall to wall showers instead of baths and are cl...
1  Thank LucyYP

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor. Your comments about the friendly service provided by the team, the variety of dining options in the Hotel and our great location are appreciated and I am very happy to know you enjoyed these aspects of your stay.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Almyra in the near future

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We booked the almyra based upon its reputation of being a family hotel, our girls are 12 and 16. This is only a family hotel if your children are under 10. The pool was full of small children, toddlers mostly, and the other pool available was serene, tranquil and not suitable for us as no children under 14 were allowed.

Our rooms were "tired 5*". Noisy, pretty ineffective air con, no tea/coffee making facilities, very small bath with a pathetic shower overhead. All pretty underwhelming.

As a result of finding ourselves in the wrong hotel for our family we went and used the Annabelle next door - sister hotel to the almyra. Much more family friendly with different pool areas. As with the Almyra, if you wanted a bed to lie on, you had to be there before 8 am to secure one!!!! Again, not what you expect at a 5* hotel.

If you are wanting a spa hotel ( and you don't have family with you) or if you have a young family, this is a good hotel, but not 5*. If you have slightly older children, don't stay here!

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for a sea view. Garden view was of a bush!!
4  Thank Jo K

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive comments, which we appreciate.

I am disappointed to know that Almyra did not meet your expectations, however pleased that you were comfortable at the Annabelle our sister Hotel next door and that we found a solution in response to your concerns.

We do have a Teens club which operates during July and August, in which a variety of activities are arranged according to our Teens preferences which includes, Golf, visits to the water park, and we had a special Spa pampering afternoon last year also ,specially organised for our female Teens.

Your comments about the sunbeds being occupied very early in the morning, have been helpful and we will monitor this consistently during the peak summer period.

We hope to welcome you back to Almyra for another enjoyable stay in the near future

Maria Chistodoulou

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We arrived for a 10d trip on the 1st of August. We had not visited the Hotel before but had chosen based upon it's location and previous friends and families experience here.
The hotel entirely exceeded our expectation. The property is described as 'minimalist' which is a fair description but not at all spartan. The location was 'seafront' and allowed easy access to a good watersport location and the various shops and bars. The hotel has a sister hotel next door where facilities can be shared,and is also linked to the Anassa, a very prestigious property too.
The hotel had a lovely relaxed and respectful feel without any hard sell or hidden charges.
I would praise the staff without exception. The restaurant staff and especially Notios were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble, especially on occassions when we asked for some special arrangements for meals we were accommodated with the best ingredients and the highest quality of food. The whole atmosphere was welcoming and entirely genuine and without any exceptions.
We are lucky enough to eat and stay in many of the best locations around the world and this hotel whilst not 'plush' or extravagent was without doubt one of the most delightful vacations we have had as a family group (a total of five children including teenagers). We will def' be back !

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay at Almyra. I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed every aspect of your stay and that you will definately be back.

We are looking forward to welcoming you all back very soon. Please do contact me to confirm when that will be, so that we can welcome you back personally.