“Missing it already!”

Ranked #8 of 90 Hotels in Paphos
La Roche
“Missing it already!”
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We have just returned from a week at Asimina Suites.
The hotel is an excellent place to relax and spent some quality time while being taken care by a very friendly and professional staff.
We have requested the best possible room in our price range by mail and on our arrival Christina the ever present, professional, helpful and very friendly PR Manager has informed us that we have been upgraded. The suite was spacious and very clean with a huge marble bathroom.
The front desk staff was always happy to help us with whatever request we have thrown at them, bookings, searching for restaurants etc. Everyone working in Asimina is very well trained from the front desk, porters, cleaners to restaurant staff. You are always greeted with a smile and they will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and happy.
As a matter of fact the staff attitude makes the hotel extra special.
As for the facilities. The pool is clean and not crowded; you have a lot of space for lounging on a green grass area under the palm trees.
We have rented a cabin on the beach for the whole day and this was a real treat. You can use it whenever you want on that day. The whole area beach and pool are taken care by the staff bringing you fresh chilled fruit and taking your orders of drinks and food. And if you do not want to eat where you are sunbathing you can go to the beach restaurant which is nicely situated in the front of the beach.
Another important thing concerning the beach there are some very nice showers next to the pool which we used after swimming in the sea. The quality of the showers was very good.
The air-conditioning in the room – some people complain on this site about the fact that it is not cold enough. I disagree; with a bit of adjustment you get a nice cool room rather than a cold fridge.
Lastly the hotel policy is no kids under 16 years of age. The guests range from couples on their honeymoon to seniors. This makes a difference if you are looking for a calm beach, calm pool and calm hotel. And I mean calm not dead. The guests in the hotel visibly enjoy each other’s company and there is an atmosphere of friendliness and enjoyment of being on holiday.
If you like a nice drink prepared with a personal touch go to VIP’s bar where Maria will make something for any situation – even a sunburn-numbing cocktail.
In the restaurant you can enjoy the banter with the waiters and managers, do not miss the fantastic egg omelet made by Debbie at breakfast time.
Staff is truly international and if asked they will talk to you about their country and how different they see living in Cyprus. This makes for a nice experience too.
To sum up we highly recommend this hotel and we are missing being pampered there already.

Room Tip: Corner suite, top floor, east side - quiet and large.
5 Thank Anna T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
York England
Reviewed 13 July 2012

From the moment of arrival, my husband and I were treated like VIP's. Check in took place in the wondefully luxurious air conditioned arrivals suite. Whilst drinking our compimentary glasses of champagne, we were given the news that our suite had been upgraded from a Junior Suite, to a Superior One Bedroom Suite, with pool and partial sea view.
Our stay at the Asimina was just perfect in every way. The quality and variety of the food was outstandng, and the price of drinks and wine very reasonable for a hotel of this standard.
I cannot praise the staff enough, every body, regardless of their respective jobs were friendly, professional, efficient, and took pride in every thing they did, and this is clearly why the hotel,suites, pool and grounds were immaculate.
If you are looking for a first class hotel then your search is over!

4 Thank AngeYorkEngland
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2012

We stayed here for a week for our honeymoon at the end of June. We have stayed in some really lovely hotels in the past so picked this one because of all the brilliant reviews....we were not disappointed. Check in (as everyone has said) was lovely in the private room with drinks etc... we were given a free room upgrade and also a bottle of bubbly in the room which was lovely. We have a two year old daughter and the peace in the hotel was bliss, pool area fantastic, loads of space around loungers and no fight in the morning for them, all the staff friendly and couldn't do enough for you in the restaurants. We only ate in the beach restaurant one evening as we like to go out but the food was fantastic, also breakfasts were amazing, anything you could think of and a great egg station.
The interior of the hotel could be a bit more wow....my parents stay at the Amathus Beach Hotel a lot and we went there one evening for a drink and it certainly has more of the wow factor and the inside areas were a lot cooler due to better air con! As other people have commented the air con in the rooms could be much better, we didn't find it that cold at all. Also the only other down side is the drinks service in the evening, they have some lovely outside seating areas but only one person and sometimes no one at all to take drinks orders, this was a real shame because one evening we sat for 10 minutes waiting to order a drink and a further 10 waiting for it to come, this put us off having a drink in the evening before going out. These are the only reason i haven't given it 5 out of 5.
Yes it's expensive in the hotel but it's only what you pay in any 5 star hotel....would we return...yes i think so but it would make it a truly wonderful hotel if they could sort out a few minor issues.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Frances H
Kent
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Spent 10 nights at the Asimina Suites and don't think it was worth the money. Friendly staff but decor very basic in the main hotel. Stayed in a Junior suite which was not a suite at all - it was just a normal room which reminded me of a travel lodge with cheap carpeted floors. On the plus side the marble bathroom was better. Air con was not cold enough and didn't sleep very well as a result. Definitely not 5 star.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank GaviT13
London
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I've just returned from a 1 week stay at the Asimina Suites Hotel, right from the private check in and cold glass of champagne with nibbles I knew this was going to be a good hotel. I booked a 1 bed suite with sea view, we had a magnificent balcony with a beautiful sea and swimming pool view.

The breakfasts were fantastic everything you could possible want, the pancakes, waffles or different types of eggs were cooked to order by a lovely lady from Glasgow. Dinner in the evening was a buffet, which would normally fill me with horror but the choice and quality of the food was excellent.

The swimming pool staff were fantastic, very helpful and courteous, really liked the cold towels and frozen fruit. The bar staff were also excellent, always will to help and more than happy to have a quick chat.

In summary this is an excellent, well run hotel, setting a very high standard for other hotels to follow.

Room Tip: Book in February to get 1/2 board at no extra cost, also book 1 bed suites in B block with sea view...
3 Thank munsy_uk
Launceston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Just returned from the Asimina! Right from the start we were made to feel special, Loved the private check in with the champagne and canapés and at this point we were given a free room upgrade to a one bedroomed suite ( not sure why a previous reviewer said it wasnt free because ours certainly was!), which when my wife saw the room and the sea view she was nearly in tears! They even leave a bottle of wine, fruit and traditional cakes in your room on the first night and you have bottles of water in your room every evening. The staff couldn't do enough for you, they are incredibly friendly and the hotel is kept spotlessly clean. As it was my birthday the day we arrived, that evening I was presented with a delicious but huge chocolate cake, it was such a shame that we had to throw most of it away because there was only the two of us! We were on bed and breakfast but the food was so good we ate in the buffet restaurant most nights, also trying the Kymata al la carte which was very nice with stunning views. The hotel is situated around a 40 min walk to Paphos harbour which we walked one day but it was so hot we decided in future to stick to the local bus which you got on just down the road which took only around 10 mins to get you there for €1 per person. Upon leaving we had no less than four staff waving us goodbye! All in all I can't say a bad thing about this hotel and we can't wait to go back, it's perfect.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mark L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2012

The Constantinou Bros Ltd are a commercial force to be reckoned with. Since 1979, the brothers Agathoclis and Andreas have constructed hundreds of shops, villas and apartments in the tourist and residential areas of Paphos as well as breaking into the hotel industry in the late 1980’s. The Asimina Suites is one of the latest instalments in their empire and an attempt to enter the luxury hotel market competing with the likes of the well-established Amathus Beach Hotel and Elysium, charging similar rates. On paper Asimina seems to ticks the right boxes but overall my stay left me feeling quite short changed.

First the good points. Asimina boasts a well maintained beach and poolside area patrolled by an efficient waiter service offering cold towels and fresh melon in the afternoon. During my stay I had no issues with availability of sun loungers which were of good quality and well positioned leaving guests with a generous amount of personal space. The hotel has three restaurants serving mainly Mediterranean cuisine to a very high standard. I especially recommend the beachside Kymata restaurant with its stunning sea view which is particularly romantic (if you like that sort of thing) around sunset. The hotel reception and bar areas are tastefully modern in design, if not a little on the clinical side, but this of course depends on personal taste.

For me, the category in which the hotel mainly fell short, and quite dishonourably may I add, was in accommodation. Firstly, the name Asimina ‘Suites’ is quite misleading. I stayed in a Junior Suite which is the hotel’s cheapest room category. The Junior Suites are not suites at all; they are in fact just larger than average rooms as they do not have a separate bedroom and living area. I encountered several other groups of guests in the hotel who had booked Junior Suites and who were equally unimpressed. I guess they also missed this information which is discreetly disclosed in the small print of the hotel brochure which can be downloaded from the website. Furthermore all Junior Suites are positioned on the sides of the hotel offering only a land or partial sea view. I upgraded to a partial sea view and was shocked that the view from my balcony consisted of about 10% sea and 90% concrete – my room was overlooking a car park and a dual carriage way. The air conditioning was also incredibly weak, to the point where there was almost no difference between the summer heat on my balcony and the temperature in my room. Three room changes and several visits from two different mechanics later, I found myself no better off, with a sea to tarmac ratio of about 30/70 in favour of the latter and my air conditioning still struggling in the summer heat. Furthermore this room was equipped with a set of curtains that did not close properly and a mini-bar which was for some reason generating more heat than an oven! In a final attempt at improving my living conditions I turned to the front office manager (I won’t mention his name) and explained the situation. He told me that he had no other rooms available except for a Superior Suite with a partial sea view which he could offer me for a reduced rate. The cost of upgrading was still very high and more than I was prepared to pay. “Surely an empty Junior suite and a Superior suite occupied by a happy guest is better than an empty Superior suite and a Junior suite occupied by an unhappy guest?” I asked. “The answer is No,” he said abruptly.

This attitude, I feel, epitomises that of the entire body of staff in the hotel who by were by and large polite and efficient however a true sign of good service is the way in which complaints are handled. I am not unreasonable, and I know that there is nothing that waiters, porters, receptionists etc can do about the poor view from my balcony; this is how the hotel was built. However I was asked several times throughout my visit if I was enjoying my stay to which I always replied honestly, detailing the various issues I encountered. The response was inevitably “Ahh, that’s a shame!” One night at dinner, a senior hotel manager was doing his rounds, came to my table and asked if I was “being looked after.” Again, I explained the situation. “Let’s see what we can do” he said. Nothing was done - and at those prices it should have been.

During my stay at The Asimina Suites hotel, the property was 71% full (or so I’m told) demonstrating another successful business venture from the Constantinou Bros. This hotel is exactly that – a business venture - a true commercial exercise and I don’t believe for a moment that real customer satisfaction was ever part of the business plan. Customers who pay top dollar for the higher room categories will no doubt walk away feeling more satisfied (barring unforeseen incidents involving air conditioning, curtains and mini-bars) but there is no real value in booking the entry level rooms as little consideration has been given to these. If you are Constantinou Bros regular then I advise either booking the nearby Athena Beach or Pioneer Beach for a fraction of the price and to just use the facilities at Asimina for extra comfort. If you are however intent on spending the extra cash on a modest room at a true luxury property then I do not recommend the Asimina Suites – I assure you that your satisfaction is not their priority and you can get more bang for your buck elsewhere.

10 Thank Dizer512