“Do not complain / it causes headaches”
Review of Nereus Hotel

Nereus Hotel
Ranked #53 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Do not complain / it causes headaches”
Reviewed 2 February 2012

This hotel is a joke, and the recent reviews are a true reflection of my experience.
I have limited time to detail my comments as I am busy compiling my rant to my travel agent concerning my treatment at this so called caring hotel.
I will continue my comments later. But why do people read these reviews after the event ?
If you are reading my review before you travel, be warned; if you complain about anything, they now operarate a complain twice and you are banned because you cause the manager Costas " headaches " and he thinks it's GOOD if you leave; this is even if your complaint is fully justfied and not just every day whinging. As I stated earlier, more later; please keep in touch.

Room Tip: Check the reviews / if you dare, complain and get a move, as i'm certain that fewer people will...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank THEO F
CostasPaphos, Manager at Nereus Hotel, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Hotel Nereus is a 3 star, family run hotel.It is certainly not a joke. We take pride in what we do and we make sure that our guests enjoy their stay. We are not a five star hotel. Some guests pay for a three star accomodation and expect five star. Also we will not accept guests that are abusive to any members of the staff.No guest complaints are a "headaches" but being abusive will not be tolerated.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Callander
Reviewed 18 January 2012

How the Nereus Hotel is rated 3 star is beyond belief, this hotel is in desperate need of attention and refurbishment. The rooms are overfurnished with dowdy old furniture, the bathroom was ok but again needed a "refurb", shelves were loose, handles broken, a mains cable snipped off and protruding from the wall ( I just hope it was'nt live ). We were not blessed with great weather during our stay and every time it rained the outside wall of our room would have large bubbles of water appear beneath the wallpaper, by the end of our stay the mildew on that wall was spreading rapidly. We arrived back at the hotel one afternoon during a heavy thunderstorm, we could not enter the reception area as it was completely flooded by water pouring in through the ceiling, apparently some people had to change rooms for the same reason.
One morning my wife and I had to take a cold shower as there was no hot water available, on reporting it to the receptionist she cheerily replied " oh' it's ok, nobody in the hotel has hot water", I guess that makes it alright then !!
Before I mention the food let me say, i'm not "posh" and I eat quite basic food at home but I found the food quite "hit and miss", sometimes the dinners were quite nice, other times they were inedible and to make it worse the plates were never heated so the meals would go cold rather quickly. As for breakfast it became more than a joke, just one toaster which needed the bread to go in twice to get it browned so you can imagine the queues, the bacon was always baked to " leather ", and more often than not the eggs would be cold just like the plates, we eventually gave up and were having our " brekky " at a local cafe. Another point to note, if you like your food nicely presented the Nereus is not the place for you, the serving of dinner reminded me of the factory canteen I ate at when I was a young man, tell the dinner lady what you wanted and they would " splosh " it on your plate.
During the winter months the hotel is dominated by very mature people, as one lovely lady told me " i've been coming here for 6 years now and i'm a full member of the geriatric club " and I think that sums it up perfectly, don't expect to get a table or chairs in the bar after dinner because the " regulars " put drinks on their tables well before dinner and they reserve what they consider " their table " every night. To be fair a number of these people return year after year so obviously they enjoy their stay there and seem to love the place, for the life of me I cannot understand why !!!
My advice to anyone thinking of booking a stay Nereus Hotel on the strength of the reviews as we did, " beware ". Do not get caught like ourselves and a number of other couples we met, you WILL be disappointed and end up like us, counting the days to go home.

Room Tip: Do not have rooms overlooking the pool if early nights are your thing
6 Thank Roger B
CostasPaphos, Manager at Nereus Hotel, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
The hotel was refurbished in 2007. New furniture in the rooms and lobby. The "wire protruding from the wall" is for the new flat screen TV`s that we are planning to install."Nothing Live"
We had an average of 89 % oocupancy for the year 2011. An average of 160 guests per day for breakfast and 130 guests for dinner per day.Some guests like cypriot food , some like english food some like Italian some like Chinese and some guests because of their age like soups. ....We have a three week cycle menu , so, dinners are not very repetitive with quite a big variety .....I think..... We follow all the HACCP and ISO procedures and always everything is fhreshly prepared.
Sometimes we to get comments like : found the food quite "HIT AND MISS" or " I AM NOT POSH".
As far as I know all the "NEREUS STAFF" try their best to please guests, but you cannot please evryone. Thank you

Travellers are raving about these Paphos hotels

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Paphos - the vast majority of pubs/restaurants/shops are abandoned - not shut for the winter. Everything is very expensive. It can be warm in December when the sun shines but this new year week was very rainy and very cold at night - after 3:30 pm. The harbour walk is interesting but if you aren't interested in old columns and bricks then there's not a lot more.

The hotel Nereus was awful - the small apartment (329) had NO heating, lights didn't work, toaster didn't work, and the bathroom was very dirty. When we called reception to fix some heating the engineer said it was on the wrong setting and to wait for 20 minutes - what a joke (and thats just the engineer, he didnt give a feck) - still no heating after three days. We eventually got an old radiant heater. The bath taps didn't work, the breakfasts were pretty grim and twice my plate was snatched away before I was finished. On new yesrs day we got no breakfast at all as we appeared at 10:10 despite being told breakfast was extended to 10:30.
A lot of the residents were elderly long term stayers and although some were nice and chatty in the main they were surly, pushy, and ignorant.
My advice - never book hotel Nereus - it should be closed!!! Paphos is deadsville in winter.

5 Thank C K
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed here over xmas because the place we normaly stay (Louis King Jason apartments) was closed for renovation,to be fair its cheap but I was put off by some of the general tattiness of things,that make it seem a bit down at heel ....like a sealed off wire protruding from the wall above the water coller socket,it just creates the wrong impression and the corners of the bathroom were not clean,the lift worked but looked as if it might break any moment because it looked a bit shabby inside.
The Nereus is suituated in a good location to get around paphos by foot and I warmed to the hotel after a few days of really not being sure due to the first impressions I got.
The breakfast is okay,the coffee is nice and they provide mugs,evening meals could be better sometimes too english and not unlike school dinners on some evenings but most of the clientel are quite old and probibly too stuck in their ways to eat more cypriot food.
I was put on a downer by some of the clientel older English people who moan a lot about cats ect..Cats I mean its cyprus they have cats get over it .and some of them seem a bit mean and stingy..come on your on holiday cheer up.
Entertainment the female singer in the red dress on xmas eve was good so enthusiastic but the rest of the time was a bit like phoenix nights lots of kareoke and bingo but the oldies liked it..I would have liked to hear some cypriot music at least one evening,and the seats in the bar are very hard you need foam cushions.
But to be fair this hotel is not terrible its cheap and budget ie no frills I just think its a shame that people may be put off by first impressions such as general shabbiness,my sheets were clean and smelled nice but so well worn so that you could see through them, I dont want to be too hard on this hotel because its not terrible it just could do with a bit more attention to the small things because when the older customers die off that you cater for you need to create a better impression to attract the younger people.
It does have more character than one of the big posh hotels on the seafront which is why I chose it instead and here lies its charm but please just some attention to the small things the right people will remember and come back and the stingy ones you dont need.
would I stay again possibly.......in preference to a big hotel.but I would prefer to stay in my usual place even though the price is more because its a much better more cheerfull experience..but thats just me
So to sum up, good as a cheap stay dont expect Frills and remember there will be cats and cockroaches and lizards (but not in the rooms) its cyprus for heaps sake have fun...

Room Tip: Dont have a room that overlooks the pool if you want an early night
3 Thank Eberta22
Thank you for all the good points and the all bad points, we will make sure that we will "TRY HARDER"

Kindest Regards,

Costas
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 December 2011

Were really pleased with Nereus, no complaints at all, very much orientated to oldies, but we are anyway! Very central location, lack of views, but you can't have everything.
Were there from 30/11 to 7/12 and were really lucky with the weather (30 deg in the sun) but was chilly in the evenings, no problems free heating in the room via air conditioning unit. We stayed H/B and if you want a cup of tea when you get up take your own kettle etc. Water in taps drinkable though we boiled it first to be on the safe side and filled empty bottles with cooled water for drinking.
If you want to bring ciggies/booze back visit Theo's opposite Debenhams, good prices and real stuff. Mario (Theo's son) who runs the shop is very helpful and funny. (Also handsome - promised I'd put that in!)
Worth visiting the "mosaic's" behind the King's Cafe on the harbour, huge site (took us two hours to amble round and even my husband who's not into ancient history enjoyed it - and only 3.40 euros each!
Visit to market in "old Paphos" well worth it (2 euros each for day bus ticket), we walked back but beware no taverna's to stop at, but does take you past the catacombs and the valley of the kings.
Whole holiday highly recommended, but everything except the beer is expensive.

7 Thank jasandyl
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Cheap and cheerful hotel. Very clean communal areas, friendly and helpful staff and beautiful weather! Always plenty of room and beds around the pool. Close to shops, bars, beaches - everything you need really. Our apartment had a view of the high street and was also clean and comfortable, the air conditioning was a must have at this time of year! Overall, very pleased with everything for the price.

Room Tip: The apartments have lots of space and generally seem more quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sophius23
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We knew we were having a cheap break so we were not expecting much. Overall we had a nice holiday and we were generally comfortable. For the price you can't expect much more.

We had an apartment - large but bare, 3 balconies but none of them get any sun at all. The family owners should look into the corners of the bathrooms and under the beds - it really is not clean. The staff are all pleasant and friendly, particularly in the restaurant where service is good and cheerful. Breakfasts are fine - there is a wide choice and you should be able to find something you are happy to eat. The greek yogurt was lovely and there was lots of fresh fruit. Dinners are variable, some nights are much better than others - we ate out quite a bit over our 3 week stay. Bar lunches were quite good - nice chips and salads and fair prices.

This really is a pensioners hotel and it is true to say that people clearly return year after year and meet up with others - often for a long stay. The family owners clearly understand their market and provide what these people want - which is to feel comfortable and safe, to have predictable menus of fairly plain food, to have music they like, singalongs and bingo. To appeal to a wider audience a significant amount of renovation and an upgrading of dinners would be necessary - but I don't see that happening while there are willing pensioners around.

The location is not bad at all, quite central, and for the pensioners there is a motability type scooter shop next door!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple