“One to remember - for the wrong reasons!”
Review of Nereus Hotel

Nereus Hotel
Ranked #47 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 18 July 2009

This hotel has been described as a home from home - and now we understand! Every single person there was British, tattooed, and happy to have beer for breakfast.
On arrival, we were met with the stone face of the least friendly of the 3 Reception staff and were given a room overlooking the pool - 1st mistake! Do not stay over the pool, unless you intend on going to bed by 12.30 earliest. The evenings 'entertainment' was unique... (which more often than not, was the northern tones of wannabe popstars in the karaoke sessions, really believing that they were the next big thing! Only for us lightweights, with all the cats in Cyprus, it just sounded like animal noises into the early hours). We did try to put up with it for the first week, and were then kindly moved to the other side, which presented no further problems with noise.
We noted no fridge in the room, but there was a water machine which for 9 euros, you'd get a large 10 litre water bottle for hot or cold water. No tea or coffee or any other facilities in the B&B rooms. A real pain, that you can't keep anything cool after you come back from the beach or pool. A family staying there, did have an apartment at the top of the hotel, where they did have facilities and I'd advise this if you have a family or wish to save money. That said, they did tell me that they were charged for the use of the air con unit - something we were not charged for in the B&B room. BEDS - oh my god! Who ever said a hard bed is good for you was lying! Or they had no back with spine movement! We had to use the blankets under the sheets to soften the springs. The TV was held onto the stand with a belt and for a hotel with all English guests, we were subjected to all Greek Sitcoms and the odd french cartoon! The towels were changed daily ( a surprise), but the same couldn't be said with the general room cleaning. Floor or bathroom was not cleaned daily, ants in the room and the cat that we swung on the balcony said it was ridiculously tiny - to the point where one person has to go on first and then sit, then have the table put out before the other can sit down - there is not even got any room for drying clothes. The Air con units are great whilst you're awake, but pointless whilst trying to sleep as they are so noisy (a great benefit if trying to drown out the karaoke sessions).
Pool was small and like a hot bath, but there is another one that's cooler, but it's in the way and has no loungers around it - it was not used. Loungers - as someone previously commented, the loungers do get 'towelled' by about 7.30am and the staff do nothing to sort this, but then there are people there that come yearly and know the staff well and have the place sussed.
We saw/heard of two accidents whilst there as the steps are slippy and inappropriate for elder guests or children. Children are not welcomed there as it is a regulars spot, or for couples who enjoy a bit of a sun worshipping (there are two sundecks that are really good for just the bathing), or those simply seeking a base like we were to see the rest of Paphos and the surrounding areas. The kids that were there were full of the joys of bunking off school holidays eager to get an early bird deal (and they really were kids that needed to be in school), with parents that thought the ashtray was the pool surround! That said, there is a small kids pool and a jacuzzi (kettle hot), but other than that, it would not appeal other than in price for families with small children.
Breakfast was interesting - with watered down juice, I actually had to squeeze my own grapefruit in the glass to get any juice in there. That said, many were happy with the breakfast as there was choice and always seemed to have something available right up until finish time. For about a week, we decided to forgo breakfast and just get croissants at the local store..
All in all, I would recommend this hotel if you can't get into anywhere else, or there's someone you've annoyed in a past life. You may love the sun and a warm bath to dip in and in that case, this place is for you. Its tired, in need of some serious tlc and updating, a few of the bar staff need their smacked butt faces cheered up a bit and the hotels need to look at the beds! The Manager is nice, but needs to put that charm to good use and make a difference in a Country where the Euro is out-pricing most of his repeat business. There is potential there, with a great easy location and a few good staff on reception (one of which is from Oxford), but i guess you get what you pay for and for once, we wished we'd paid more and gone elsewhere - but the money I saved will get me a good chiropractor!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank middersnmax

Reviewed 14 July 2009

I stayed at the Nereus from the 24th June to 1st July. Before going I was a little hesitant after reading other reviews, but I found it to be value for money. We stayed half board and the food was pleasant enough. Each night there is a different meal theme - Indian, Greek, English, Italian. I have to admit we did eat out on the English nights as I don't go abroad to eat a full roast meal or fish and chips!! The breakfast was ok, same everyday, a bit of variety would have been nice, but the fresh fuit was great.

The hotel room was ok, lovely power shower and huge sink in the bathroom. The bed was rather solid, which was uncomfortable, but I found a few cocktails soon sent me to LaLa land. The balcony was small but fitted two of us on there for evening drinks!

The bar in the hotel is cheap - 2 euros for a cocktail, 3 for a local beer - great value. There is also Sky TV in the bar, which is handy for local news.

The pool / sunbathing areas are ok. We tended to stay on the roof area, as that was the quietest in terms of volume of sunbathers and generally we found a parasol and bed each day free. The pool areas were busy, towels were laid down very early in the morning.

Hotel is in a great location to the harbour and bar street. Flairs bar is great - cheap drinks and always an offer to be had. Great meals can be found near the harbour, we had a 3 course meal with wine for 8 euros each, whilst looking out to the sea.

I would stay at the Nereus again, probably B&B next time. The staff were inviting and friendly and tried to do all they could to help!

Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alli_P
Reviewed 13 July 2009

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Nereus Hotel from 28th June - 5th July. We were there as my sister was getting married. When we arrieved we were given our key and in broken english given direction to it. When we found our room the toilet stank even though we complained to reception staff, nothing was done. The balconay was a tiny, an absolute joke. The bed was so uncomfortable, it was rock hard, totaly solid! The pools were OK nothing special. Getting a sun lounger was impossible as people would leave there towels on them all day and night even when they werent there and staff did nothing about it.
The breakfast was not very good, watery scrambled eggs, watered down orange juice, and also hot dogs??!!
We stayed on B&B only as we wanted to try the local resteraunts, but on two of the nights we ate in the Hotel, the food was horrible, and there was a member of staff slopping what you wanted all over your plate, half the food I didnt know what it was and the staff werent very helpful in telling me.
The whole Hotel is in serious need of an upgrade! My two sister who paid the same as my partner and me stayed in a 4star all inclusive for a week, I couldnt believe it when i was at their hotel!
Staying at the Nereus put a downer on my holiday, it was great to get out and about in paphos, we went to the water park, which was good, all the local shops were good too, the bars at night were great, and can recomend RAIN on bar street, great place, great prices and great staff. Also recomend all the watersports and to hire a Quad for the day, lots of fun.
I would definatly go back to Paphos but I definalatly would not go to the Nereus.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 July 2009

We stayed at the nereus in May with our 2 children. Our first impressions of the hotel were "small" but we were wrong.
The staff were friendly and very helpful.
The rooms were adequate for our needs and cleaned on a daily basis.
There was entertainment in the hotel or the Papa George Pub (also owned by the hotel)
nearly every night. The bar staff were great and for 2euros for a cocktail you can't go wrong!!
We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis but purchased a voucher from reception for 6 - 3 course evening meals for just 46 euros per person , when you consider we were paying up to 80 euros for one meal for 4 of us thats fantastic value.
If we ever return to Paphos we will definatly stay at the Nereus again, great value, friendly, family run hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Hillary44
Reviewed 3 July 2009

We stayed at the Nereus June 16th - June 30th 2009 as my sister was getting married in Paphos. The hotel was excellently situated 15 slow walk to the harbour and mosiac and 2 minutes walk to Bar Street.

We stayed bed and breakfast as we like to try different restaurants for dinner (see further on in review). The breakfast was fine nothing amazing but it set you up for the day. We chose sometimes to pop out for breakfast and Baywatch bar two minutes walk away charged 2 euros for breakfast.

The room was adequate it had a safe which cost 28 euros for the two weeks and you could buy 20ltr water bottles which went on a hot/cold water dispenser in your room for 9 euros. Air conditioning unit is good but a little noisy and you cannot leave it on when you leave as the electric works via your key fob.

Maid service came everyday and and if you wanted them to gave you fresh towels daily. They were very good and not intrusive.

Hotel reception I could not fault always helpful....on the first night our air conditioning tripped out and they mended it as soon as we reported it.

Outside area of hotel there are two pools one which is 1.5 m throughout and another that drops to 3m plus an outdoor jacuzzi. The shallower pool had sunbeds in the sun and in a shaded area however there was competition to get these. We ended up two days sitting round the deeper pools on the tables and chairs. The whole area was very clean and we even had fresh watermelon one day at the pool side free of charge. There was also 2 large roof top sunbathing terraces at the hotel.

The bar was open 11am - late everyday with various entertainment on and local drinks and cocktails are 2 euros each. This is the same at the hotel pub Papa George across the road. The bar also sold lunch and icecreams around the pool.

Restaurants I can recommend are:

Poseidonus: right opposite the fort on the harbour with balcony eating - mainly fish.

Theos: We loved this place. Again right on the harbour. Fresh fish and well priced!

Laterna: This is just of bar street opposite bubbles bar. A friendly small resturant which gave us free started and desserts.

Othellos: next to the nereus..it was nice food but was not my favourite.

Mandra: my favourite for cypriotic food. Near the Robin Hood Bar. Lovely staff, nicely priced. We went twice once for meze with my sister and once just the two of us and both times it was superb.

Rustic Kitchen which you will find if you walk to the end of bar street by aces cocktail bar and turn left towards the sea was very nice.....mainly outdoor seating and food was lovely especially the starters.

Demokritos - right opposite Robin Hood Bar on bar street was the most entertaining meal. We went with a few members of our family and we wer sat in front of the stage where we were picked up on by the entertainment ( not in a bad way) but lets just say we were pulled up on stage quite a bit!!

Bars we enjoyed: Papa George, Baywatch, George and Dragon (end of bar street nearest hotel next to the fountain (which actually doesnt work).

Day trips: Mosaics a must on Paphos harbour but go early it is very hot. Tombs of the Kings - again go early! Aphrodtite water park went twice on the return visit offer..be warned holiday reps do not offer this - you get it at the park! This is a great waterpark...plenty of sunbeds but it is very hot under foot!!! You get an armband to charge food and drinks and pay at exit. Glass bottomed boat..this leaves from paphos harbour 3 days a week in the afternoon 20 euros each for 2 hours bit it is worth it. You see Vera K a shipwreck various sealifes and then you stop for an hour to snorkel. Be warned it can get a bit bumby out there. Our favourite trip was with paphos sea cruises on the royal premier sunset cruise. This was on an amazing yacht which took your from paphos harbour out to near the airport where is docks for 2 hours or so and we had an amazing buffet. Free drinks all night and entertainment and the chance to get amazing photos of the sunset. It was 52 euros each but if you book online in advance you got a discount.

The only complaint I had about the holiday is the touts. time shares ones are avoidable if you say you are under 30. Once you get past robin hood bar on bar street they attack you. trying to get you in the clubs saying 2 cocktails for 5 euros etc what they dont tell you is that if there are 2 of you you have to have 4 cocktails not the 2 you were offered. It annoyed us so much that we avoided going up there which meant we missed out on two restaurants we were interested in Flambe and Edelweis.

Any questions please ask...

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bronny86
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We stayed at the Nereus from 10th to 24th June. On arrival we were told that due to under-occupancy of the hotel we had been upgraded to a 2 storey apartment. Whilst this was appreciated and it was nice to have spacious accommodation, it does kind of make me wonder what our room would've been like had we not been upgraded. We too had the cockroaches, but I think you have to learn to accept them in hot countries, although perhaps if the door didn't have a 1 inch gap underneath it the pesky little mites may not have crawled in!!!!!

The decor of the hotel leaves a lot to be desired - it is in very bad need of a lick of paint and some new furniture! The beds are tiny too - I'm only 5'5 but my feet hung off the end of the bed!!!!! From Day 2 I was dreaming of being back in my own comfortable bed!

It is worth mentioning that we travelled with Thomson/First Choice and had to paid 3.50 euros per day for air conditioning in the room. You cannot do without air conditioning and I think it's a really poor show for a hotel in Cyprus (no matter what star rating it may be) to not provide air con as a matter of course!

The pool area was disappointing - it's very cramped and the beds are very rusty. You also have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a bed! On a plus side though, there is a lot of shaded areas.

On the plus side of things, the bar area was comfortable and there seemed to be a lot of entertainment going on. The carvery was very tasty and good value for money (something that you don't say often in Paphos these days due to a hike in prices on everything and the euro!)

There are water coolers provided in the rooms and 20 litre water bottles can be purchased for 9 euros. These did prove to be invaluable and saved you carting bottled water back from the shops as the water bottles were delivered and fitted.

The location of the hotel is really very good - the bars, restaurants and entertainment of Bar Street is on your doorstep, although you may not view this as a plus if that type of thing is not your bag!

It's a shame re. the Nereus as it could be absolutely lovely with a bit of though and tlc. To give you a feel for it, the local bars refer to it as "Little Benidorm"!

We won't be going back to the Nereus, but then we won't be going back to Cyprus as the euro has ruined what was a wonderful holiday destination!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank HarryHornet69
Reviewed 18 June 2009

After reading reviews we were initially worried about this hotel but the reviews seemed to be getting better with time. What are these people on, Im starting to think the owner and friends are writing their own reviews!! We arrived on a sunday evening around 11 and waited 20 minutes at reception even after we told they guys in the bar we were waiting. Eventually we got checked in and pointed in the direction of our room. When we got in the room we realised why we weren't escorted! We were greeted in our dark dingy room by a dead cockroach underneath the sink around it calcium build up from a water leak now we expect some bugs in warm coutries were i our 20s so a dead bug didnt worry us that much, toilet wasnt attached to the wall, lights above the bet not fixed right with exposed wiring and as we looked around more 2 cockroaches were running across the floor, the more places we looked the more of the little gits we saw on top of the kitchen sink and everything as we walked for the door more cockroach reinforcements were arriving via a gap at the bottom of the door!!
We returned to reception the guy didnt speak much english then gave us another room, we went into it thinking he had given us the wrong key as the bed was unmade and there were bags with wine in it. When we looked closer the room had been vacated and not cleaned, no chance of me and the missus staying in a dirty room! Plus another cockroach and no fridge as my wife is insulin dependant this was essential. Enough i thought i went back to reception and asked for the thomas cook reps number, surprise surprise he couldnt find it. At this stage we were really annoyed and left to find alternative accomodation.
Sorry if i've ruined your hope of a good stay, maybye we were unlucky but the hotel is far from 3* even by foreign standards, deperately needs updating i was embarassed when i got of the coach!
We were moved to the sofianna which i cannot reccommend highly enough great self catering with all the perks of a hotel and in the same good location and great staff.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple