“Good hotel but needs to improve in some areas”

Constantinou Bros Athena Beach Hotel
Ranked #23 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Leeds
“Good hotel but needs to improve in some areas”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Stayed here with my daughter for a week in early May. Had booked a Seaview Deluxe Terrace Room as a surprise for her as it looked amazing on the hotel website. I booked direct with the hotel rather than a tour operator as I thought this would make sure everything was perfect.
On arrival:
1. We had to locate our own room (374) - hotel info says you will be escorted to superior rooms.
2. Room was made up as a double despite me telling hotel info it was for mother & daughter ie. twin required. (They did pick up on this and ask if we wanted it changing but we said it was ok).
3. Info promised fruit and wine on arrival - there were none in room. (I had to ring reception to chase after it had still not arrived 24hrs after our arrival). It was brought to room pretty promptly.
4. Stepped onto terrace expecting a cushioned wicker settee, chair and coffee table and a terrace adorned with colourful plants (looked gorgeous on the website!)- found two sunloungers, two single beds and a metal table with 2 chairs - no greenery or flowers. (ONE pot plant arrived on the 6th day of our holiday!) Disappointed...? Just a lot!! don't get me wrong, the terrace was huge and the view was great but instead of smart stylish furniture and lots of colour it was grey and drab.
Plus points: Great location, excellent food (could not be faulted in any way), excellent service in the dining rooms, superior breakfast room superb, friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, gorgeous products in the bathroom, and the most comfy beds we have ever slept in!!
Minus: As listed above plus:
1. I was allocated a locker with a broken lock in spa changing room when I had a treatment.
2. Cashier on front desk did not ask me when I arrived if I wanted to pay in sterling or euros. When I queried this (I overheard her telling another guest that it was much cheaper to pay in sterling!!) she said that she 'always' asks...she did NOT ask me!! I was simply told that as my transaction had been completed it was too late.
3. No wifi info in room. When my daughter asked at reception no-one had the info or was able to help her so they told her to come back later!
Incidentally, I raised my main points in the guest questionnaire and in a separate note to the General Manager on my departure on 13 May and after chasing a response received one from them two and a half weeks later.
In summary, Athena Beach is a good hotel but I just feel disappointed that I paid a considerable amount of money for what appeared to be one of the best rooms in the hotel (there are only 7 of these) and through lack of attention to detail (and a misleading photo on their website) I did not feel I got what I had paid for. An improvement is required in this area together with a need for some staff training on the front desk.

Room Tip: Superior deluxe terraces do not resemble photo on website
4 Thank TripAdviserreader

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I've been at Athena Beach hotel for three days in the end of May, I stay in a standard double room. I have to admit that the hotel has some very good points: a strategic location (right on the sea-side, close to the touristic harbor, easily accessible by the airport) , very nice garden where you can chill and relax and beautiful swimming pools. There is free parking, breakfast buffet had a good variety and common areas were clean. On the contrary I have to point out that there were things that I think shouldn't happen in a four stars hotel: when you entered the corridor where my room was located from the main hall, there was a strange smell that disappeared walking toward the interior part of the corridor. In the room I appreciate the complementary natural water but I didn't like the fact there was no hair dryer in the bathroom and that in order to use the safety box I had to pay 3 Euros for the safety box key. Usually the use of safety box is free in every hotel that provide this kind of service in room. I have also to say that generally the hotel staff was gentle, but in some cases the reception staff was unprepared to give me info on Paphos restaurants and points of interest, in a case making strange faces at my request of car directions to Aphrodite Rocks ( I guess that this happened because the majority of reception staff doesn't seem to come from Cyprus). Globally my judgement is positive, I had a good stay but in my opinion there are things that should be improved in order to consider this property a very good four stars hotel and not an average four stars hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cavaliere_mi
Great Yarmouth
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Went here for a evening wedding reception. It was a busy Saturday night but the hotel was excellent. Very clean, the staff were really good and helpful. We saw people form many races all having a good time. In all an very good evening.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gobold
Woking
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We had a wonderful time staying at the Athena beach hotel. Food was was wonderful, despite it being buffet, and the themed nights, some of which took place outside around the pool, were superb.

Grounds are beautiful. There is a lovely coffee hut/bar down by the beach, and we had many a good evening here looking out to sea as the sun went down. Nice touch to have candles placed around the path to create a wonderful atmosphere at night time.

Service was top notch, room was clean and well attended. I wouldn't recommend Paphos for those who light to explore and sight see (I'd include myself in this category!), but great for a relaxing holiday and as a base for one or two trips.

And my thanks go out to the first choice/Thomson reps whom were brilliant when I ended up ill
in hospital there (avoid the cypriot hospitals if you can!), but still a wonderful, enjoyable holiday. Couldn't recommend the hotel enough.

Room Tip: Garden rooms are wonderful at no added cost. A good choice for the slightly more budget conscious
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Razedabode
Swinton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in - spotlessly clean, beautifully presented rooms, attention to every detail, however small (even to a pair of scales in the bathroom), and attentive, smiling, happy staff throughout the hotel caring for their clients. In particular, Marcus and Stefan, who worked at the small bar close to the main pool, were charming and ensured assistance whenever required. There from 13 to 20 May, 2012, mainly to attend a wedding at the Athena Beach Hotel on the 17 May - what can I say other than to applaud the organisation, the exceptional warmth and care shown not only to the Bride and Groom, but to all the the guests in attendance! A very special day and a wonderful holiday to be remembered! Roll on next holiday at the Athena Beach Hotel!!

Room Tip: Would choose a room overlooking the pool/sea next time. Unless the bedroom window was closed, there...
1 Thank MickyViv
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My husband and I took our 5 month old little girl on her first holiday toi Athena Beach. It was the perfect place for us, the staff were lovely and we really felt comfortable. The location was a perfect 25 minute walk along the promenade to Paphos which was very easy with the buggy. The grounds were flat and spacious. We had a superior sea view room which had a stunning view and we really loved the express check in service with a glass of champagne in our room. The breakfast was lovely and as we were in a superior room we were entitled to eat in the smaller restautrant for breakfast but chose to eat in the main restaurant anyway as the staff were really nice and the choice of food was exceptional. We upgraded to half board which was great value for money and you can choose to swap dinner for lunch if you wish. The evening meals were very good, although the hot food did become a little repetetive towards the end of the week but the salads and deserts were fantastic. We would suggest maybe doing the half board 5/7 nights.

Room Tip: Large hotel so if walking difficulties request room near the lift
1 Thank mandraki69
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We stayed there in November 2011 and were so impressed with the hotel that we have already booked to go again this November 2012 and also March 2013.
The food was excellant the whole hotel was spotless and staff very welcoming. The only thing I could pull them up over was we were in room 401 which had the infernal noise of air con from the restaurant and I had to resort to cotton wool in the ears to help me sleep. I have specified that on our return trip we do not get put in this room or anywhere near it. The beds were very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple