“Superb holiday destination”

Ranked #23 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Superb holiday destination”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have just got back from a week all inclusive here for a friends wedding. I've never been on an all inclusive holiday or on holiday with a large group before but the hotel catered for us amazingly. There was always room for us as a large group in the restaurants, on the sun loungers or at the bar and most of the staff were wonderful. The wedding itself was stunning, such a perfect location and the food was great too. I would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ravo87

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Durham
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I stayed at the athena beach hotel for two weeks from 25th June till 9th July with my family and boyfriend. The hotel was absolutely lovely, a great size and extremely clean! The location of the hotel is great as it is right next to the beach and only a short twenty min walk to the harbour or a short bus journey for 1.50 euros where the bus stop is directly outside the hotel. The staff are mainly very friendly and funny however it sometimes became frustrating as when ordering drinks it sometimes took a while to receive them with our biggest wait being 30 minutes. The excuse usually given was due to them being busy with wedding parties which isn't really an excuse when we pay just as much as them and especially when wedding parties were very often during the holiday. A final negative is about a wedding party that was there the same time as us and to be honest as I am young myself the behaviour coming from them reminded me of a holiday when I was away in malia and Ibiza full of drunk young youths not a nice hotel in Cyprus! The language from them was disgusting and the staff had no control over the noise and mess they caused around the pool. Finally I found not having a wrist band like most all inclusive hotels slightly annoying as every time we wanted something we had to swipe our card and then sign which became a pain!
Overall I had a lovely time the hotel is lovely and most of the staff are very hard working and interesting people!!!
I would recommend going here but think the hotel need to be slightly stricter on the big groups and wedding parties that arrive as it is a holiday for everyone not just the wedding parties!

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Jordanpascoe21
Denmark
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have just come back from a wonderful week in this hotel and it happens to be the same week as Stella 0409, who has written a very negative review. Yes, there were weddings, and yes it got rowdy but 'the bunch of louts' were also on holiday and the hotel is big enough to cater for everybody. I did witness them being asked to stop the ball games and they did! There are 5 big pools, and the noisy lads can only be in one place at the time so Stella 0409 could have moved to one of the other pools. I had to move away from screaming kids by the water slide for hours, so what?? The service in the hotel was second to none, yes, sometimes we had to wait for our drinks but all the waiters were working their buts off, they were polite and served with a smile. Yes, you need to present the card when you want food or drink, but that's what its all about when you go all inclusive. The rooms were cleaned to perfection every day, brilliant air condition, I just cannot fault them. I can definitely recommend this hotel and I would go back again if possible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Bitanius
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This a very difficult review because although the hotel is spotless, has great pools, plenty of room for sunbathing, excellent breakfast and cleaners who work their socks off - there were big negatives, to say the least!

Firstly, we booked, or at least thought we had, a DOUBLE/TWIN ROOM MOUNTAIN VIEW BALCONY room, but unfortunately on arrival, we were lead down a very long ground floor corridor to a room that overlooked a neighbouring hotel and car park - the question is who moved the mountain, because we as sure as sixpence couldn't see anything resembling one! To cut a long story short, we went back to reception and were told that the Manageress would be with us in 15 mintes - half an hour elapsed, so tired and emotional after a long journey I shed a tear, because this was meant to be special holiday in a beautiful country and a lovely hotel. When the lady in question made an appearance we were shown another room which required us to pay a supplement, this was actually two floors above the previous room and was laughably called a side sea view - finally, we were taken to a groundfloor, garden view room - success at last - lovely and quiet, with a small patio area, just perfect for us, but we did have to pay extra, which we did not find a problem for the right room!

Having been to Paphos before, we choose the b&b option, as there are so many lovely restaurants and places to eat and drink in the area and we like the freedom of being able to go where the mood takes us. We gave up going to the hotel bar as my partner was ignored by waiters who appeared to give preference to large parties of all inclusive guests, serving their drinks first - it doesn't make sense! The Shamrock Bar a few minutes walk from the hotel got our business - service with a smile and cheaper drinks!

Weddings - hmmm! What a beautiful backdrop for your big day - I take my hat off to the wedding planner and staff, from my observations, they do an amazing job! Every step is carried out with military precision and the reception venues looked simply stunning - but at what cost to other paying clientele! During our stay we encountered a rowdy group who, for some inexplicable reason, appeared to be getting away with totally unacceptable behaviour, it then transpired that they were a wedding party which, to my mind, explained the blind eye which seemed to be turning for them! Whilst they are adults, supposedly, and therefore accountable for their own behaviour, I do feel that the in this instance the management was at fault for not nipping this in the bud - soaring temperatures and an all-inclusive bar can be all too tempting for young folk, I know I was young once, but I had respect for other people which was completely lacking in this case!

Finally, having overcome mountain-gate and becoming totally immune to a group of guests who, quite frankly, would have been more at home in Ayia Napa, we had a great time in Paphos, which is breath-takingly beautiful and you may not believe this, but despite the pitfalls we would go back to this hotel because it is in a great location, good value for money and most of the staff cannot do enough to make your stay an enjoyable one - hence the rating!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Katty52
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Where to start...
We booked to stay at The Athena Beach for two weeks in Sept 14 for our wedding. I knew of the hotel from previous trips to Paphos but had never attended the hotel so decided to book it through good reviews online (always a gamble). We got married on Friday 13th Sept so were there for a few days before to meet with planners etc.
From the moment we arrived the staff were so friendly and always happy to help. We booked the package through Thomson so had their wedding planner, Amy and the hotel planner, Jane who were both equally fantastic! We had meetings with them before the wedding at the hotel and they organised anything that was necessary which took the stress off us.
We booked the outside Adonis Gazebo which was definitely needed due to being 38 degrees when we got married at 3pm - our guests appreciated the shade!
After we had a drinks reception and went off for pics along the coast with our photographer. On our return we had a sit down meal outside by the pool which was lovely, service and food was fantastic as always. This then went onto a disco where we hired one of the rooms inside and had Cypriot dancers followed by a DJ. The day was brilliant and more than we could have asked for.
We had a total of 27 guests which came to our hotel, 14 of which stayed at The Athena and others staying in nearby hotels.
Most evenings we had dinner in the main restaurant which was a buffet, there was a huge selection to choose from and changed cuisine every night so lots of choice! Breakfast was again a huge selection to choose from - all delicious. They accommodate large tables which is nice, we got to know them really well after being there for two weeks.
The hotel is in a great location, it's about a 15-20 min walk along the coast to the harbour and town, there are places to stop on the way if you need to! Or just jump in a cab which isn't too much money and it will get you there in 5-10 mins. There is also a bus stop right outside which is helpful. We were all inclusive which was great, we were always getting top ups at the bar or there would always be a waiter around happy to get them for you.
I would recommend this to everybody, the hotel and staff are great - we will definitely be returning!

Room Tip: Get a sea view!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Claire H
Laceby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

First of all I'd like to say that both my wife & I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Cleanliness was excellent and despite it being a big hotel, everything was spread out so it never felt crowded. Food was pretty standard as far as Greek all inclusives go but I was disappointed at the poor choice of seafood dishes. My only real issue is the waiter/waitress service on occasion at meal times or of an evening. On a couple of occasions we'd finished our meal before the drinks arrived. Bottles of wine arrived with no glasses, red wine arrived when white was ordered and I lost count of the number of times I ordered Fanta Lemonade and got Fanta Orange! It took too long between ordering & receiving drinks of an evening and on more than one occasion had to wait over 15 minutes for our order. So make sure you order double or re-order when halfway through your current drink. Reception staff were extremely polite & helpful and the cleaning staff were excellent. Overall very good despite criticisms as previously mentioned.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

Where to start...... We are a couple both in our mid thirties who for the first time came away without our children. We based our trip around the reviews of this hotel and we were not disappointed in the slightest. We are both well travelled and have been to many luxurious hotels around the world however we both totally fell in love with athena beach and the lovely resort of paphos. Rooms are spacious and clean, slightly dated for our taste but who sits in the room all day when it's 35 degrees outside?.
We opted for an all inclusive package and were amazed to say the least.
The choice of breakfast in the main buffet restaurant was fantastic if you wanted it they had it.
The food at the Zephyr a la carte restaurant is truly first class, we would of quite happily paid extra for it.
We did go out for a meal and found ourselves in Ficardos. The food and staff were superb. This was less than a 5 minute walk left out the main entrance of the hotel.
Now to the bar...Note we read that there was a lengthy wait for drinks however we did not find this personally. Branded beers and spirits all in on the inclusive package, awesome staff. A special mention to a lovely bar man Ovidu who couldn't do enough for us.
The service in this hotel is first rate and we will be going back for sure.
Also worth a 5 minute walk to the sea front bar to watch the sunset....beautiful!!!

We stayed 25th June to 2nd July.

• Stayed June 2014