“Above average accommodation”
Review of Helios Bay Hotel

Helios Bay Hotel
Ranked #16 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 4 October 2012 via mobile

As there's a lot of points already covered I thought I would just put a few points that I wish I had known;
Things to pack:
Towels for the pool - hair dryer - tea towel - scourer/washing up sponge.
I would put some washing up liquid in a small travel bottle.
We bought a fair bit of stuff from lidl and the nearby super market - and although I passed some stuff over to people who were staying longer - I felt wasteful buying a larger amount than needed - and prices there are similar if not more than UK.
Buses
Fantastic service and great position for buses.
The all day bus ticket can be bought on the bus for 3 euros each - use it as much as you wish ....BUT .....after 11 pm the ticket isn't valid - and it's 2.50 each.
The buses run fairly late.
Pathos Harbour
Catch the bus there - we made the mistake of walking along the coast path there ......it's a good hour an half walk!

BBQ night was ok -

We had a one bedroom apartment and I really struggled to sleep in the bedroom with the aircon set at 26c and unable to turn it lower - it felt very humid

We would choose to stay again - as previously stated - its not marble n mirrors.

But I felt that the pool area and the beautiful view from snack bar (unfortunately not from our side ground floor apartment - unlucky I guess)
were great - the nationality of guests seemed to be 60 % Russian and 40% uk

May look to return next year - enjoyed our week in the sun

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Having read quite positive reviews I chose this hotel among others. This is not 4* hotel at all - the room was quite big for a couple with 1 bedroom and the location was fine but there is a big room for improvement re the quality of interior, especially in the bathroom. I would give max 3* but honestly, 2 is a more appropriate figure.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

Ok. I was far too lazy to leave a review when I first found Helios Bay 5 years ago. I picked the hotel based on the reviews here and am now on a return visit to the hotel run by brothers Nicos and Loucas. I am about half way through my holiday and am sitting with my laptop in reception (free wifi!) to have a little break from the very hot weather. I just don't have a bad word to say about the place. This time we book a room with a sea view and both twice we have always booked a one bedroomed apartment rather than a garden studio. Although there are only 2 of us it gives us plenty of space. The one bedroomed apartments come with a kitchenette section. This comprises of several cupboards with cutlery and crockery and cooking utensils, a small (think caravan type) grill/oven with two electric hob rings on top, and best of all there is a proper sized fridge with a small freezer compartment.
There are plenty of sunbeds around the pool and the snack bar serves a good range of food for lunchtime (although we never really are about). The gardens are absolutely lovely and there are several small shops, a couple of restaurants and a bar within a few minute walk.
It is perfectly placed as the bus stops are on either side of the road. Stay on this side of the road and you can get a bus down to Coral Bay. We don't actually go to the Bay, instead we stay on the bus another 5 mins and get off at Corallia Beach at the end of the bus stop. It's really beautiful and has good shower and toilet facilities. Cross over the road from the hotel and just down to the left is a lovely little fish restaurant called Kasparis - all of the seating is outside and they do fanatastic sea bass/sea bream/ calamari and octopus in red wine. Their village wine is lovely and is served in a carafe - after a few of those you will be very happy. Also on this side of the road is the bus stop to Papho - which only takes about 15-20mins. Get a weekly bus ticket in paphos (at the bus station) for 13Euros a week. The best thing about the Helios is also its location - get on here and you are probably going to get a seat before all the other tourists get on further down on the tom of the Kings Road.
Must dash - it's Barbecue night at the Helios. Something not to be missed!

1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

I just wanted to support other reviewers who have had nothing but good to say about this hotel!

I myself have been staying at the Helios for years! I first went with my mother and father many years ago, since then I've been many times including June/July this year with my husband.

I have reviewed the Helios before but having read a few recent previous reviews I felt the need to respond. I would Like to point out the following, the following, Helios bay does not portray itself as a 5 star all signing all dancing hotel, what you can expect is a hotel in a good location that's right on the beach with stunning views and well maintained gardens!
The hotel is a a prime location to explore paphos, not slap bang in the main town yet not so far out that you feel isolated, its in easy reach of the harbour, Kato town, kitima, polis and latchi and coral bay.

The rooms are keep very very clean and the maids are lovely, we had a little Cypriot last who was very pleasant and hard working, the rooms are simple tradional Greek style and serve there purpose, I found the beds very comfortable and the flat screen 37 inch LCD tv was far more than we expected for a self catering apartment, my husband was very impressed as he's into he's technology.

As for a reviewer saying about ants? ... Sorry but you are in a hot country? And thats to be expected. They are harmless and not a problem to get rid of. I feel that's typical of a county with a climate such as Cyprus.

I would also like to comment on the management nicos and Lucas, two brothers who have ran this hotel as long as I can remember! Nothing and I mean nothing is too much for them, I know whilst on holiday if there is anything I need I can go to them and they will help, which is comforting when you are in a foreign holiday. Nicos even sorted our car hire out with a local firm, the car we got was safe and reliable.
I would also like to point out that the photos in brochures etc are true to what the hotel looks like today and they are not old photos, I've been travelling to this hotel since 1992 and I know the changes and improvements that have happened at the hotel, they are clear to see.

Also th Monday night BBQ is great! The food is home cooked and lovely! There's a real family feel at the BBQ night and a very relaxed atmosphere! The desserts served are to die for!

To me this place will always be a home away from home, we where only home four weeks and have already booked again for next year.... And we cannot wait!

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank louise3durham
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Enjoyed our stay at the Helios Bay, staff very friendly and helpfull, views from our apartment were stunning looking out over the manicured lawn to the sea. Good food served at he pool bar, pool itself was very clean with plenty of loungers available. Would return again.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

just read review by beckswelch who told them this was a four star hotel its not its better than that run by the same family fore many years it is not a big all singing and dancing hotel but you will be looked after by nicos and lukas so they went to the front desk and asked fore ant powder
the maintenence man would of come and done it fore them did they leave food in the kitchen?
this is a small hotel great service fantastic views great room rates not four star rates and yes the furnishing is greek not plush but how long do you stay in your room on holiday and by the way they missed a great BBQ all the greek food you can eat plus greek dancing all fore 13 euro
we look forward to returning next year

Room Tip: any sea view