“Avoid if possible”

Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort
Ranked #44 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 14 October 2013

On booking our holiday with Thomas Cook we stated that we were looking for 4 star as our experience of lesser quality hotels abroad has been poor previously. We were informed that the standard of the hotels in Paphos was generally good and many described as three star would be the equivalent to four star standard, so we went with this, not having been previously.

This was a three star masquerading as a TWO star. The whole appearance of the hotel was poor, and the reception was very dark, with a bamboo style reception area, very 80s. The staff were functional and not particularly engaging. We got our key and went to the room. On exiting the lift the scene deteriorated, with heavily worn and stained carpets. The surrounds were dirty and the was a used cloth lying on top of the fire hose reel.

On entering the room I became even more disappointed. The decor was very old, I'd guess that it was probably the original furniture from around the 70s, no joking!

The was a charge for the safe and I returned to the reception to get a key. The man to came to instruct me was excellent, very pleasant and helpful. When he finished there I pointed out a stain on the bedspread to him, I'm assuming it was chocolate! This was changed literally within minutes, although the housekeeper didn't appear to be too impressed, not speaking English made it difficult to discuss.

I went to the met and greet meeting and raised my issues with the rep. They offered to provide an alternative room, but then there were none in the hotel. We were subsequently given a voucher for a free meal, I wish they hadn't bothered, I wasn't impressed with the food at all. There appeared to be a significant number of All Inclusive guests, I'm glad that I wasn't one of them.

The food was fairly tasteless and didn't look very appetising. Breakfasts were buffet style and reasonable with the only complaint being the usual issue around toasters, but this is a routine problem in resort hotels.

The pool was ok, with an animation team that appeared to work hard, but sometimes became too familiar with certain guests.

The lady who worked at the reception bar (looks fairly recently upgraded) was very pleasant and apparently serves excellent Margaritas (so says mrs weary traveller).

There is also an apartment section to the hotel which did appear to be slightly better, and I think those who used that appeared to be slightly better treated, or perhaps I'm slightly paranoid?

There are a number of bars and cafes and a couple of restaurants around the area, although the hotel is not located particularly close to any areas of nightlife, rather caught halfway between the harbour and the next built up area.

Just to justify the lady from Thomas Cook's statement re the standard of hotel, the Hotel Veronica which was not too far away, is a three star which looks like a four, if only we'd known!

Pathos is ok, lots of stalls, and the usual touristy shops. The old town is worth a visit, but won't take too long to get around.

The mosaics are worth a visit down at the World Heritage Site by the harbour, but the Castle doesn't offer up much more than an improved view of the area through its elevation. The tombs of the Kings is ok, but nothing special, how many holes carved into stone can you look at?

Room Tip: Public transport is easy to use and fairly inexpensive, use this rather than the city tour buses.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wearytraveller066
LeptosCalypsoHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Department at Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Paphos Gardens Holiday resort is a 3 star development that combines both hotel and apartment accommodation, guests have the option of selecting self catering, bed and breakfast to all inclusive. This information is clearly stated in all tour operator brochures, hotel site etc and you should not have been told otherwise as of course your expectations will be very different.

Thank you for mentioning the bed cover to reception so that we could see to this straight away for you. Please rest assured that guests are not treated according to their accommodation choice.

The resort is a 15 minute walk from the heart of the night life, bar street and reception would be happy to give you the quickest and most direct route to reach this area.

We hope that all in all you returned home with fond memories of your holiday.

There are newer reviews for Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort

Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I booked to stay at Paphos Gardens in the week prior to our wedding in Paphos. When we arrived the hotel was majorly overbooked with a number of guests in reception being told that there were no rooms available for them. We were told the same and then told that we were being moved to another hotel for 2 days and then on to another hotel for 2 days and then back to Paphos Gardens for the last 2 days of our stay. I told that them that this was not an option as I didn't want to spend the week leading up to my wedding packing and unpacking when I had more important things to be doing. The staff at this point were understanding but basically told me that there was nothing they could do as they had experienced a problem with their booking system. We have since found out that this wasn't the case and that they do it all the time! I eventually broke down and when they saw how upset I was they miraculously found us a room. I was worried as I had wedding guests arriving all week who were also due to be staying at Paphos Gardens and so I asked the Head of Guest Relations to confirm that all my other guests wouldn't have the same problem and was given an absolute assurance that this wouldn't happen. You can imagine my anger when a couple of days later I was at the beach and received a phone call from some of my guests to say that they were trying to check in and had been told that there were no rooms for them and they were being sent to another hotel. I got back to the hotel to confront the reception team who had assured me that all my guests would have rooms and they basically called me a liar and said that they had never said that. Again the reception area was turning into absolute chao with guests everywhere being told there were no rooms available. The reception staff were running around not knowing what to do, they were rude and some guests extremely aggressive. I spent 4 hours sat in reception trying to sort out the problem with no luck and my guests were shipped off elsewhere. The hotel itself was average but I have to say if you want to enjoy your holiday in Cyprus avoid Paphos Gardens!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Donnah S
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here October 2012 with my boyfriend, on arrival we were quickly checked in then taken to our room. Room was much bigger than expected, was a 2 bed apartment with huge balcony. Lots of restaurants nearby and only about 10 mins walk to the harbour. Great stay at Paphos Gardens and we really should have gone back again this year but made the mistake of trying out somewhere different. Staff very friendly and helpful at this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen W

Dear Ms. Helen,

We do thank you for your review and it makes us very happy to hear that you and your boyfriend had a great holiday at Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back for a holiday, perhaps next year we hope.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We were a party of 5 and arrived on 2nd October. Apartment was clean and had all the facilities we needed. Patio was private and a few steps from the pool. Unfortunately me and my husband had a fall from the patio when we were resting on the ranch fence which collapsed. I injured my arm but the hotel could not do enough to put things right. Mr Andreas was professional and very understanding and offered us a meal and drinks in the hotel on the Saturday evening. The entertainment was fun but not over the top and we had a lovely few days. The hotel is situated within easy walking distance of restaurants, bars and the harbour. Will definitely visit again next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in Geranium. Everything within easy reach.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
LeptosCalypsoHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Department at Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Sorry to hear that you injured yourself, we do hope that all has completely healed now. Beside this incident, it is good to hear that you and your husband had a lovely holiday with us and that our staff looked out for you as they should do.

Thank you for your time in writing a review and we now look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back next year for another holiday.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed at the Paphos Gardens from the 2/10 for a week. the hotel was lovely and clean, our rooms were cleaned and fresh towels every day. All the staff made us welcome in particular the reception staff were very helpful when we had problems with our mobile phone and couldn't get hold of he wedding party.
The entertainment seemed ok, didn't stay too long in the hotel to find out, but the feed back of other people was pleasing.
The main downfall for this hotel was the food. We've stayed in a few AI, and this hotel would rate near the bottom . The breakfast was ok, but we found that constantly having to wait for eggs, dishes,cups etc by the time you got to eat your food it was cold, and those dam toast machines....please please invest in a few large catering toasters.
Most of the time it was mayhem at meal times mostly due to lack of above and lack of staff, i would hate to think we were booking in the busy season.
Another gripe which i found odd for an AI hotel was the lack of icecream at meal times, it was available during the day but at set times, and no ice lollies!! I wasn't happy with martini not being included on the AI, that is all i drink when i'm abroad.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We have read your review and thank you for your comments and suggestions which we will take into account.

We trust you had a lovely holiday and we are happy to know that the staff at our resort looked after you and did their utmost to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort, we hope you will be returning to us again in the near future.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

when we arrived they had overbooked which seems the norm we shared a lovely appt with the in laws however on the second day we got our own appt it was lovely the reception staff were lovely and very helpful and the managers couldn t do enough the hotel was clean the food was lovely the rest of the staff were also very nice we have been to paphos 5 times but the first time at this hotel definately the best we are going again next year a big thank you to mr eric and andreas

Room Tip: we booked appt on the first floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

It is pleasing to hear how happy you were with Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort and thank you for your recommendation.

We are delighted that you are considering another holiday with us and we await your return.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Well what can i say about this hotel ......... amazing .This was all made amazing by the staff in particular Mr Andreas showed such proffessionalism along with Mr Joseph .The food and the entertainment also very good . I will certainly be visiting this hotel again in the near future . A massive thank you to you all for making our holiday special .Keep up the good work .

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
LeptosCalypsoHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Department at Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review, we are thrilled at how much you enjoyed your holiday with us.

We also look forward to your return visit.