“Lovely week at Paphos Gardens”

Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort
Ranked #43 of 90 Hotels in Paphos
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely week at Paphos Gardens”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We must have been staying at a different hotel to some of the reviewers on here! Will admit to being a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews but too late, it was already booked and we were packed to go! Arrived at the hotel and checked in straight away - ended up with a two bed apt rather than a one bed which was a bonus :) yes, it was a bit basic but everything was clean and in working order - you come here to sit by the pool, beach etc not spend your week in your room/apt and don't forget - it's only a 3 star!

We used both pools but much prefered the bigger one of the two actually next to the main part of the hotel, no problem getting a decent spot and plenty of sun beds to go round, none of this getting up at the crack of down to put a towel on a bed to secure it for the day!

Hotel is well placed for the harbour/bars - 10 - 15 minute walk. Plenty of places to eat near the hotel if you dont fancy walking far but it's a lovely walk along the beach front to the harbour if you fancy a stroll - 8 euros to get a taxi back if you've had too much to eat and drink :)

For those who dont like cats, the cats will only bother you if you feed them :) I actually love cats so it wasn't an issue for me, the cats are healthy and well fed and know who to go to for food and I suspect they are clever enough to keep out of the way of those who don't wish to be bothered by them.

All in all - we had a lovely week and would return to Paphos Gardens, all three of us said how much nicer and more relaxed this holiday was compared to when we stayed at the Annabell (Paphos) in July - the fact that a 3* can beat a 5* really says a lot to me :)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank outoftowngirl56
LeptosCalypsoHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Department at Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to hear that you had a lovely holiday at Paphos Gardens Holiday resort and we thank you for your kind recommendation on Trip Advisor.

Indeed the resort is uniquely located within walking distance of mostly anything you would need when on holiday in Paphos. Pleased that you tried the option of both pool areas so you could then select what suited you best.

Thank you again and hope to see you back with us.

Group Sales & Marketing Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
harrogate
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Just had a week at the Paphos Gardens. Very well equipped and well run hotel with friendly and very efficient staff. Certainly merits more than 3 Stars. Only had dinner in the hotel one night (and the food was very good) because we discovered the excellent Za-Za's just around the corner where the food and service are superb. The young Romanian waiter is a nightly entertainment and his wife is the first-class chef. Hotel location is about 15 minutes walk along the sea-front to the harbour area and there are frequent buses if you feel lazy. Mary's Car Hire is 5 minutes away where she genially tries to shake you down, but equally genially reduces her prices when you haggle. Whatever she quotes you can get 25% off if you stick at it for a while. All part of the game. All in all a very pleasant stay and I would recommend it without hesitation. Don't take too much notice of the professional whiners on this site - I think some of them must have been staying in a different hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ericcampbell
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on for sharing you holiday experience on TripAdvisor. Nothing makes us more happy than to hear that our guests had a lovely stay at our resort and returned home with great holiday moments.

Thank you again for your recommendation and we hope you will give us the pleasure of a return visit soon.

UK
Reviewed 14 October 2013

On booking our holiday with Thomas Cook we stated that we were looking for 4 star as our experience of lesser quality hotels abroad has been poor previously. We were informed that the standard of the hotels in Paphos was generally good and many described as three star would be the equivalent to four star standard, so we went with this, not having been previously.

This was a three star masquerading as a TWO star. The whole appearance of the hotel was poor, and the reception was very dark, with a bamboo style reception area, very 80s. The staff were functional and not particularly engaging. We got our key and went to the room. On exiting the lift the scene deteriorated, with heavily worn and stained carpets. The surrounds were dirty and the was a used cloth lying on top of the fire hose reel.

On entering the room I became even more disappointed. The decor was very old, I'd guess that it was probably the original furniture from around the 70s, no joking!

The was a charge for the safe and I returned to the reception to get a key. The man to came to instruct me was excellent, very pleasant and helpful. When he finished there I pointed out a stain on the bedspread to him, I'm assuming it was chocolate! This was changed literally within minutes, although the housekeeper didn't appear to be too impressed, not speaking English made it difficult to discuss.

I went to the met and greet meeting and raised my issues with the rep. They offered to provide an alternative room, but then there were none in the hotel. We were subsequently given a voucher for a free meal, I wish they hadn't bothered, I wasn't impressed with the food at all. There appeared to be a significant number of All Inclusive guests, I'm glad that I wasn't one of them.

The food was fairly tasteless and didn't look very appetising. Breakfasts were buffet style and reasonable with the only complaint being the usual issue around toasters, but this is a routine problem in resort hotels.

The pool was ok, with an animation team that appeared to work hard, but sometimes became too familiar with certain guests.

The lady who worked at the reception bar (looks fairly recently upgraded) was very pleasant and apparently serves excellent Margaritas (so says mrs weary traveller).

There is also an apartment section to the hotel which did appear to be slightly better, and I think those who used that appeared to be slightly better treated, or perhaps I'm slightly paranoid?

There are a number of bars and cafes and a couple of restaurants around the area, although the hotel is not located particularly close to any areas of nightlife, rather caught halfway between the harbour and the next built up area.

Just to justify the lady from Thomas Cook's statement re the standard of hotel, the Hotel Veronica which was not too far away, is a three star which looks like a four, if only we'd known!

Pathos is ok, lots of stalls, and the usual touristy shops. The old town is worth a visit, but won't take too long to get around.

The mosaics are worth a visit down at the World Heritage Site by the harbour, but the Castle doesn't offer up much more than an improved view of the area through its elevation. The tombs of the Kings is ok, but nothing special, how many holes carved into stone can you look at?

Room Tip: Public transport is easy to use and fairly inexpensive, use this rather than the city tour buses.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wearytraveller066
Dear Guest,

Paphos Gardens Holiday resort is a 3 star development that combines both hotel and apartment accommodation, guests have the option of selecting self catering, bed and breakfast to all inclusive. This information is clearly stated in all tour operator brochures, hotel site etc and you should not have been told otherwise as of course your expectations will be very different.

Thank you for mentioning the bed cover to reception so that we could see to this straight away for you. Please rest assured that guests are not treated according to their accommodation choice.

The resort is a 15 minute walk from the heart of the night life, bar street and reception would be happy to give you the quickest and most direct route to reach this area.

We hope that all in all you returned home with fond memories of your holiday.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I booked to stay at Paphos Gardens in the week prior to our wedding in Paphos. When we arrived the hotel was majorly overbooked with a number of guests in reception being told that there were no rooms available for them. We were told the same and then told that we were being moved to another hotel for 2 days and then on to another hotel for 2 days and then back to Paphos Gardens for the last 2 days of our stay. I told that them that this was not an option as I didn't want to spend the week leading up to my wedding packing and unpacking when I had more important things to be doing. The staff at this point were understanding but basically told me that there was nothing they could do as they had experienced a problem with their booking system. We have since found out that this wasn't the case and that they do it all the time! I eventually broke down and when they saw how upset I was they miraculously found us a room. I was worried as I had wedding guests arriving all week who were also due to be staying at Paphos Gardens and so I asked the Head of Guest Relations to confirm that all my other guests wouldn't have the same problem and was given an absolute assurance that this wouldn't happen. You can imagine my anger when a couple of days later I was at the beach and received a phone call from some of my guests to say that they were trying to check in and had been told that there were no rooms for them and they were being sent to another hotel. I got back to the hotel to confront the reception team who had assured me that all my guests would have rooms and they basically called me a liar and said that they had never said that. Again the reception area was turning into absolute chao with guests everywhere being told there were no rooms available. The reception staff were running around not knowing what to do, they were rude and some guests extremely aggressive. I spent 4 hours sat in reception trying to sort out the problem with no luck and my guests were shipped off elsewhere. The hotel itself was average but I have to say if you want to enjoy your holiday in Cyprus avoid Paphos Gardens!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Donnah S
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed here October 2012 with my boyfriend, on arrival we were quickly checked in then taken to our room. Room was much bigger than expected, was a 2 bed apartment with huge balcony. Lots of restaurants nearby and only about 10 mins walk to the harbour. Great stay at Paphos Gardens and we really should have gone back again this year but made the mistake of trying out somewhere different. Staff very friendly and helpful at this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen W
Dear Ms. Helen,

We do thank you for your review and it makes us very happy to hear that you and your boyfriend had a great holiday at Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you back for a holiday, perhaps next year we hope.

Nottinghamshire
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We were a party of 5 and arrived on 2nd October. Apartment was clean and had all the facilities we needed. Patio was private and a few steps from the pool. Unfortunately me and my husband had a fall from the patio when we were resting on the ranch fence which collapsed. I injured my arm but the hotel could not do enough to put things right. Mr Andreas was professional and very understanding and offered us a meal and drinks in the hotel on the Saturday evening. The entertainment was fun but not over the top and we had a lovely few days. The hotel is situated within easy walking distance of restaurants, bars and the harbour. Will definitely visit again next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in Geranium. Everything within easy reach.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
LeptosCalypsoHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Department at Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Sorry to hear that you injured yourself, we do hope that all has completely healed now. Beside this incident, it is good to hear that you and your husband had a lovely holiday with us and that our staff looked out for you as they should do.

Thank you for your time in writing a review and we now look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back next year for another holiday.

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Stayed at the Paphos Gardens from the 2/10 for a week. the hotel was lovely and clean, our rooms were cleaned and fresh towels every day. All the staff made us welcome in particular the reception staff were very helpful when we had problems with our mobile phone and couldn't get hold of he wedding party.
The entertainment seemed ok, didn't stay too long in the hotel to find out, but the feed back of other people was pleasing.
The main downfall for this hotel was the food. We've stayed in a few AI, and this hotel would rate near the bottom . The breakfast was ok, but we found that constantly having to wait for eggs, dishes,cups etc by the time you got to eat your food it was cold, and those dam toast machines....please please invest in a few large catering toasters.
Most of the time it was mayhem at meal times mostly due to lack of above and lack of staff, i would hate to think we were booking in the busy season.
Another gripe which i found odd for an AI hotel was the lack of icecream at meal times, it was available during the day but at set times, and no ice lollies!! I wasn't happy with martini not being included on the AI, that is all i drink when i'm abroad.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We have read your review and thank you for your comments and suggestions which we will take into account.

We trust you had a lovely holiday and we are happy to know that the staff at our resort looked after you and did their utmost to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort, we hope you will be returning to us again in the near future.