“great time at paphos gardens”

Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort
Ranked #43 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 5 November 2013

just returned after 11 nights at paphos gardens, a bit doubtful when we arrived as didnt look to grand but all doubts soon faded, the staff throughout the hotel from cleaners, bar staff, waiters, reception were all friendly and nothing was to much trouble. we went as a group of 6 for a family wedding, we had 2 apartments and 1 hotel room , the apartments were cleaned everyday, basic but functional, the first hotel room the bathroom had broken tiles but was changed with no problems 2 a much better room, we were fully inclusive the food was really good plenty of choice at every meal, no limits on what u had 2 drink, all of us said we would return again . The only negative comment i have is the CATS i didnt like them sat around the tables when u were eating we didnt encourage them by feeding them as some did,unfortunatley the cat problem was everywhere we went even in the five star hotels that some of our other family stayed in, maybe the people who made the negative comments spent to much time looking for fault in there rooms and not enough time in the lovely sunshine , never heard a dog bark all the time we were there. we really liked the position of the hotel just off the main street, the harbour in walking distance and very accessable which was important to us with a disabled son in a wheelchair. we visited the annabell and the amathus beach hotels both very nice decor etc but the staff at paphos gardens a lot nicer and made you feel more welcome .
to end a fantastic holiday and we would return without hesitation to paphos gardens.

11  Thank carol v

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We have just returned from a week at the Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort. Had a great week. Despite the negative reviews I read before, we could not see why people were being so negative. Food was good. Hotel was good too. Staff were so, so friendly. Many thanks to Michaela and Kyle at the bar along with other staff which I don't know their names. You were all fab. Reception staff were great too. We had no problems with check-in and Alex was very helpful upon our arrival, checking us in and showing us to our apartment. The 2 bed apartment was big (we were booked for a 1 bed apartment). The furniture was a tad tired but we didn't mind as we were out of the apartment more hours than we were in it. It was a good time to visit Cyprus as we were able to go for breakfast at approx 09.00 and then go to the pool and were able to get sun loungers and not having to come out at silly o'clock each morning to do the traditional english "putting the towels down to reserve our loungers thing" !!!!!!!!!! Will definitely return to Cyprus and would have no second doubts about returning to Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort.

8  Thank wallaceLincolnshire
LeptosCalypsoHotels, Group Sales & Marketing Department at Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted you had a lovely holiday in Cyprus and that you of course were very happy with your choice of Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort.

Your kind comments especially with regards to members of our team are much appreciated and we will be sure to pass these onto them.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us and we look forward to your return holiday with us.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I would advise anyone to avoid this hotel. We were self catering in the apartments. On the first night we found a dead cockroach in a drawer followed by a live one under the furniture. The drawer was broken on the chest of drawers. Had no plug for the sink in the bathroom. The shower curtain was about 6" too short so the floor was flooded every time you used it and there was no drain so the water just lay on the floor. We had ants in our beds for a few nights.The garden area was full of rubbish the whole time we were there.
There was a dog sanctuary nearby so had no sleep due to them barking all night. We have never seen so many cats and Russians in one place! The cats being the more friendly! The location of this hotel isn't very good either.
On a more positive note if you do go to Paphos try Phivo's rest and Mother's rest you will be made to feel very welcome and the food is good too.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Mimosa block or better still don't go at all.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trisha6770

Dear Guest,

We have read your review and noted all points. The resort encourages all guests to mention any details they experience immediate so that we are able to do our best to find solution to ensure all guests have as comfortable and enjoyable a stay as possible. The shower curtain could have been seen to and the water situation avoided.

It is hard to avoid insects of all types in a hot country and at a resort with lots of flowers, trees and greenery. Unfortunately if the slightest crumb is left out while cooking then this does attract them.

Paphos Gardens Holiday Resort is in one of the best locations as it is within short walking distance from the sea, beach, bars, restaurants, archaeological sites, shops whilst still being off the main road offering for a peaceful stay. The resort itself offers all facilities needed ideal for self catering such as a mini market, launderette etc.

We would be happy for any suggestions of additional facilities that may be added.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

We must have been staying at a different hotel to some of the reviewers on here! Will admit to being a bit concerned after reading some of the reviews but too late, it was already booked and we were packed to go! Arrived at the hotel and checked in straight away - ended up with a two bed apt rather than a one bed which was a bonus :) yes, it was a bit basic but everything was clean and in working order - you come here to sit by the pool, beach etc not spend your week in your room/apt and don't forget - it's only a 3 star!

We used both pools but much prefered the bigger one of the two actually next to the main part of the hotel, no problem getting a decent spot and plenty of sun beds to go round, none of this getting up at the crack of down to put a towel on a bed to secure it for the day!

Hotel is well placed for the harbour/bars - 10 - 15 minute walk. Plenty of places to eat near the hotel if you dont fancy walking far but it's a lovely walk along the beach front to the harbour if you fancy a stroll - 8 euros to get a taxi back if you've had too much to eat and drink :)

For those who dont like cats, the cats will only bother you if you feed them :) I actually love cats so it wasn't an issue for me, the cats are healthy and well fed and know who to go to for food and I suspect they are clever enough to keep out of the way of those who don't wish to be bothered by them.

All in all - we had a lovely week and would return to Paphos Gardens, all three of us said how much nicer and more relaxed this holiday was compared to when we stayed at the Annabell (Paphos) in July - the fact that a 3* can beat a 5* really says a lot to me :)

5  Thank outoftowngirl56

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure to hear that you had a lovely holiday at Paphos Gardens Holiday resort and we thank you for your kind recommendation on Trip Advisor.

Indeed the resort is uniquely located within walking distance of mostly anything you would need when on holiday in Paphos. Pleased that you tried the option of both pool areas so you could then select what suited you best.

Thank you again and hope to see you back with us.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

Just had a week at the Paphos Gardens. Very well equipped and well run hotel with friendly and very efficient staff. Certainly merits more than 3 Stars. Only had dinner in the hotel one night (and the food was very good) because we discovered the excellent Za-Za's just around the corner where the food and service are superb. The young Romanian waiter is a nightly entertainment and his wife is the first-class chef. Hotel location is about 15 minutes walk along the sea-front to the harbour area and there are frequent buses if you feel lazy. Mary's Car Hire is 5 minutes away where she genially tries to shake you down, but equally genially reduces her prices when you haggle. Whatever she quotes you can get 25% off if you stick at it for a while. All part of the game. All in all a very pleasant stay and I would recommend it without hesitation. Don't take too much notice of the professional whiners on this site - I think some of them must have been staying in a different hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ericcampbell

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on for sharing you holiday experience on TripAdvisor. Nothing makes us more happy than to hear that our guests had a lovely stay at our resort and returned home with great holiday moments.

Thank you again for your recommendation and we hope you will give us the pleasure of a return visit soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

On booking our holiday with Thomas Cook we stated that we were looking for 4 star as our experience of lesser quality hotels abroad has been poor previously. We were informed that the standard of the hotels in Paphos was generally good and many described as three star would be the equivalent to four star standard, so we went with this, not having been previously.

This was a three star masquerading as a TWO star. The whole appearance of the hotel was poor, and the reception was very dark, with a bamboo style reception area, very 80s. The staff were functional and not particularly engaging. We got our key and went to the room. On exiting the lift the scene deteriorated, with heavily worn and stained carpets. The surrounds were dirty and the was a used cloth lying on top of the fire hose reel.

On entering the room I became even more disappointed. The decor was very old, I'd guess that it was probably the original furniture from around the 70s, no joking!

The was a charge for the safe and I returned to the reception to get a key. The man to came to instruct me was excellent, very pleasant and helpful. When he finished there I pointed out a stain on the bedspread to him, I'm assuming it was chocolate! This was changed literally within minutes, although the housekeeper didn't appear to be too impressed, not speaking English made it difficult to discuss.

I went to the met and greet meeting and raised my issues with the rep. They offered to provide an alternative room, but then there were none in the hotel. We were subsequently given a voucher for a free meal, I wish they hadn't bothered, I wasn't impressed with the food at all. There appeared to be a significant number of All Inclusive guests, I'm glad that I wasn't one of them.

The food was fairly tasteless and didn't look very appetising. Breakfasts were buffet style and reasonable with the only complaint being the usual issue around toasters, but this is a routine problem in resort hotels.

The pool was ok, with an animation team that appeared to work hard, but sometimes became too familiar with certain guests.

The lady who worked at the reception bar (looks fairly recently upgraded) was very pleasant and apparently serves excellent Margaritas (so says mrs weary traveller).

There is also an apartment section to the hotel which did appear to be slightly better, and I think those who used that appeared to be slightly better treated, or perhaps I'm slightly paranoid?

There are a number of bars and cafes and a couple of restaurants around the area, although the hotel is not located particularly close to any areas of nightlife, rather caught halfway between the harbour and the next built up area.

Just to justify the lady from Thomas Cook's statement re the standard of hotel, the Hotel Veronica which was not too far away, is a three star which looks like a four, if only we'd known!

Pathos is ok, lots of stalls, and the usual touristy shops. The old town is worth a visit, but won't take too long to get around.

The mosaics are worth a visit down at the World Heritage Site by the harbour, but the Castle doesn't offer up much more than an improved view of the area through its elevation. The tombs of the Kings is ok, but nothing special, how many holes carved into stone can you look at?

Room Tip: Public transport is easy to use and fairly inexpensive, use this rather than the city tour buses.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wearytraveller066

Dear Guest,

Paphos Gardens Holiday resort is a 3 star development that combines both hotel and apartment accommodation, guests have the option of selecting self catering, bed and breakfast to all inclusive. This information is clearly stated in all tour operator brochures, hotel site etc and you should not have been told otherwise as of course your expectations will be very different.

Thank you for mentioning the bed cover to reception so that we could see to this straight away for you. Please rest assured that guests are not treated according to their accommodation choice.

The resort is a 15 minute walk from the heart of the night life, bar street and reception would be happy to give you the quickest and most direct route to reach this area.

We hope that all in all you returned home with fond memories of your holiday.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I booked to stay at Paphos Gardens in the week prior to our wedding in Paphos. When we arrived the hotel was majorly overbooked with a number of guests in reception being told that there were no rooms available for them. We were told the same and then told that we were being moved to another hotel for 2 days and then on to another hotel for 2 days and then back to Paphos Gardens for the last 2 days of our stay. I told that them that this was not an option as I didn't want to spend the week leading up to my wedding packing and unpacking when I had more important things to be doing. The staff at this point were understanding but basically told me that there was nothing they could do as they had experienced a problem with their booking system. We have since found out that this wasn't the case and that they do it all the time! I eventually broke down and when they saw how upset I was they miraculously found us a room. I was worried as I had wedding guests arriving all week who were also due to be staying at Paphos Gardens and so I asked the Head of Guest Relations to confirm that all my other guests wouldn't have the same problem and was given an absolute assurance that this wouldn't happen. You can imagine my anger when a couple of days later I was at the beach and received a phone call from some of my guests to say that they were trying to check in and had been told that there were no rooms for them and they were being sent to another hotel. I got back to the hotel to confront the reception team who had assured me that all my guests would have rooms and they basically called me a liar and said that they had never said that. Again the reception area was turning into absolute chao with guests everywhere being told there were no rooms available. The reception staff were running around not knowing what to do, they were rude and some guests extremely aggressive. I spent 4 hours sat in reception trying to sort out the problem with no luck and my guests were shipped off elsewhere. The hotel itself was average but I have to say if you want to enjoy your holiday in Cyprus avoid Paphos Gardens!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple