“Fantastic Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 90 Hotels in Paphos
Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Stayed at the Alexander The Great for 11 nights July/Aug and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is comfortable and spotlessly clean throughout.

Rooms are modern, spacious and tastefully decorated with very large comfortable beds. Good air con in rooms which was needed as the weather was very hot.

Food was great in all restaurants, buffet style breakfast and dinner with good choice, well cooked and always hot. We tried both the Italian and Japanese restaurants and both were first class.

The new infinity pool and adults only serenity pool is lovely. The sunbed allocation system made it a more relaxing holiday as there was no wandering about everyday trying to find beds, you are allocated sunbeds with umbrella a chair and table per couple and even during high season it didn't feel cramped or too busy.

Throughout our stay we were looked after by an amazing team of staff who were all very professional , friendly and attended to our every need. Have to mention Deep, Raj and George who were very pleasant and helpful.

I couldn't fault this hotel and would highly recommend it .

Room Tip: Choose a sea view as lovely view of harbour, castle and just watching the boats go by.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine H
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Let us thank you for choosing Alexander The Great Beach Hotel for your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and comments about your stay in our hotel.

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our staff, Deep, Raj and George, the food and cleanliness of the hotel.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (984)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
SOT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Just returned after our second visit to this hotel, as everyone has said the refurbishment is amazing. We were upgraded to a beautiful room, I could not get my daughter out of the shower with the music in there. Food again beautiful, thank you to Emma for her help and smiles.
Entertainment was very good and geared more to families I thought this year. I feel that the hotel does provide more for families this year which is good, but alas not for me. There seemed to be larger groups and many more children this year. Thank you to Craig for making sure we saw Matt Edmondson again. Also tha Serenity Spa is excellent, thank you Rebecca for my massage and facial.
We did have an excellent holiday until the last day, as we had a late flight I knew we would have to be out of our room by 12, I did try to keep the room on, but as the hotel was full I was unable to do this. You are allowed 30 mins in the courtesy room, but the lovely lady on reception gave us 60 mins.That was not a problem what I was upset about was whilst enjoying our last day on our sunbeds around the serenity pool we were approached at 10 o'clock by the attendant and asked to leave the beds at 12, I pointed out that we were leaving late that evening, he told me we were allowed to stay until 2 as he had someone coming on the beds at 2.He did say we should have told him in the morning, but nowhere is this publisised, I assumed the beds were ours for our full holiday. I understand from guests at the hotel that they e-mail in advance to reserve beds, thats fine, but my bed was not available until we left. This did leave us then with no room or sunbed on our last day. Not a very good end to our holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BenjiSot
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for mentioning, Rebecca our spa manageress in the Serenity Spa,Craig in security and Emma in the restaurant department.

Your constructive comments will certainly help us in our efforts to continuously improve our standards. We are very sadden to read your disapointment with the sunbed allocation system. We thank you for raising this issue and providing us with this valuable feedback. Most certainly we will be looking into this issues within our operations and seeking ways to further improve our service quality.

The whole team and I sincerley hope that we may have the opportunity of reversing your opinion and the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.
Farnborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We have just got back from 10 days at the ATG and must say it is one of the best holidays we are have had.

There was a slight mix up regarding our room when we arrived as we had paid for a sea view but were allocated a side sea view room - the rep and hotel quickly apollogised and fixed the next day. There is not much difference in room layout between a side sea view and full sea view but the view certainly makes it! We were moved up to the 3rd floor and given meal vouchers and champagne for the mix up. Watching the sun set over the harbour in the evening from our balcony was amazing! We wouldn't have seen that in the side sea room as you have to stretch your neck to see the sea! We also sat on our balcony a few nights and listened to some of the entertainment.

Before given the room we had asked and paid for - we were taken to a Cabana (without a pool). To me the room appeared quite dark and I didn't like the fact that if I sat out on my patio ever one could see me and I didn't really have a clear view of the scenery. This happened to a poor bride one day - everyone just stopped and starred at her although she did get a round of appaulse too! If I was on my honeymoon I would much rather have a 2nd/3rd floor sea view room

Location is perfect - you have the quiet of the hotel setting but can easily walk to the harbour and see the mosaics or to nearby pubs and restaurants if you wish. We did pop to bar street one night but it was dire! We ended up spending most evenings in the hotel sipping cocktails or at Evis which is tucked over the road from the hotel and had entertainment and pool table and air hockey for the kids - or big kids like us!

Sun bed allocation works well. We sat facing the sea so got a gentle breeze and peace and quiet from the pool. It was lovely laying there watching the water sports.

The beach is stoney but you can buy beach shoes at the harbour or at the newsagents over the road which made it a lot easier to get in and out of the clear calm waters.

We ate in the Japensese, Italian and the Greek restaurant and the set menus were delicious and there was a lot of choice. Make sure you go hungry to the greek as it was a large meze but great to smaple local cusine! It was nice to have variation from the buffet nights and great that a glass of wine/beer and water was included.

We only ate twice in the buffett dining room in the evening - just becuase this is inside and we wanted to make the most of dining outside and slow dining so tried numeous restaurants at the harbour and those within walking distance of the hotel. Also, it was very hot when we went and my husband was made to wear trousers in the restaurant - they need to make it clear it is smart trousers as you do see all sorts!! I understand you should look smart in the restaurants but it would be so much better if they relaxed the dress code slightly and allowed men to wear smart tailored shorts in the indoor restautants - that's my only niggle!!

We easily swapped our dinner for lunch on those days which was a nice little bonus. There was always lots of variety to choose from at breakfast and lunch.

Special thanks go to the hardworking Kanika Allstars - who always seem to be working hard but with a smile on their faces! We really enjoyed the cocktail demonstration and tasters and their shows in the evening were very professional and entertaining. We weren't sure about Matt Edmonson though - not our cup of tea!

All the bar, restaurant and cleaning staff at the hotel are friendly and professional and seem very happy in their jobs. Special thanks goes to Christos, Deep and Anka, Jacob for their services with a smile each day!

We have already recommended to family and would definetly consider returning to the hotel in the future!!

Room Tip: Guys - remember to take long trousers for eating dinner in the inside restaurant. Rooms - Sea view...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Raddish81
Dear Reviewer,

Your constructive comments regarding the dress code will certainly help us in our efforts to continuously improve our standards.Our entertainments team the Kanika All Stars will be pleased that they have been mentioned. As will Christos, Deep, Anka and Jacob, we will make sure that they all get to see your review.

The whole team and I sincerley hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.
Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

Have stayed at this hotel twice. Had a lovely time each time am hoping to go back again soon to see all the improvements they have made. Have heard that everything is as good if not better. The hotel is in a good situation on a sea cliff with great views of Pathos town and within a pleasant walking distance. The staff and entertainers are great too. So much to offer for all. The restaurants offer a good variation of meals with speciality themes and special Japanese and Italian nights. An all round wonderful holiday experience.

Room Tip: High floor with sea view rooms are the best.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank janice w
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Let me express my sincere thanks and appreciation for your kind words and to be given the opportunity to extend our hospitality.

Your views about the hotel, the restaurants and staff including our Allstars entertainment team is appreciated by us all.

It gives me great pleasure to have met your holiday expectations and hope to be able to welcome you back at the Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in the not too distant future.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

A bit of a late review as we stayed here last year but we had such an amazing time I felt the need to comment. Everything about this hotel shows quality. It was so good that my sister returned here with her husband on their honeymoon :)

Location is perfect, right on the beach but a short walk from the busy area of the resort. The views from the pool and the rooms were beautiful. The staff at the hotel could not do enough to help us feel welcome and to explain where different things were. One bonus is the allocated sunbeds so you don't need to get up early to ensure an umbrella nearby.

Breakfasts were good, plenty of choice and good quality. Tea/coffee was brought to the table and fruit juices available. I cannot comment on other food as we dined in the numerous restaurants near to the hotel.

Thank you for such a lovely, welcoming stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos.

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel, we are delighted that we have lived up to your holiday expectations last year and that you have decided to review us.

Glad also that you mentioned the location, the sunbed allocation system and most important the team of staff we have here.

Looking forward to the day when we welcome you back to the hotel.
Hawkinge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

this is our 4thvisit to Cyprus we love it .first time to this lovely hotel ,staff were brilliant and we felt at home ,food was great, so much choice just loved everything .most of all the entertainment came tops what a great team they have throughout the day we were always joining in with the activities and evenings enjoyed the performances they are the best well done ,we hope to come back next year with members of our family ,thanks to all staff especially ,Michaela and deep who always waited on us with great manners and always smiling ,also lovely ,beth lucy rhianna ,Ollie warren.we spent 11 glorious days at Alexandra the great a big thank you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 304reg
Dear Pauline and Reg,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our staff, food and entertainment programme of the hotel. Michaela, Deep, Beth, Lucy, Rhianna, Ollie and Warren will be delighted when I show them your review and that you have taken the time to mention them by name.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

Booked this holiday with Jet2 for the beginning of July 2013. First time with Jet2 and was really impressed with good flight times (9am out and 5pm return). Also the most legroom experienced with any holiday flight. Another bonus is that the seats do not recline so no problem with the person in front. Alexander the Great must be the best hotel we have stayed at to date. Sunbed allocation is a great idea - do not understand why other hotels do not do the same. Presentation and quality of the food was excellent. Did not try the other restaurants as we were happy with the different theme every night in the main restaurant. Free water and wine or beer or soft drink with meals was also a good idea. Evening entertainment was excellent. A four star hotel with five star service. We will return!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Your views about the hotel, the food and the sunbed allocation system are greatly appreciated.