“Excellent again!”

Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Derby
“Excellent again!”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We did something we've never done before - returned to the same hotel! It was outstanding last October and even better this year due to the upgrades. As returning guests, we were treated to bubbly, slippers and fruit in the room as well as an early evening drinks and canapés reception; nice touch. The refurbishments are tasteful and contemporary and the new TVs, fridges and kettles in rooms are an improvement. The three bookable restaurants have improved menus and are each worth a visit, the food being hot, tasty and well presented. Unfortunately, although the quality of food in the buffet restaurant is of high quality, it sometimes suffers by being of inconsistent (low) temperature. I did mention this and suggested that a couple of microwaves could be provided for guest use as was the case in a 4* ski hotel we stayed in recently. This solved the problem for those of use who prefer food to be piping hot. The staff are amongst the best trained I've encountered anywhere, always smiling, polite and helpful and with a few words of English in greeting, even the chambermaids who always seemed cheerful along with everyone else working there. The entertainment, whilst an improvement on last year, was of variable quality and the outdoor Havana Venue was really too cool to be using at this time of year. We would have stayed I the hotel more often after dinner if the indoor bar was being used for entertainment but it was more comfortable to go out to bars near the harbour or across the road where there was live music. The pools are now beautiful to look at but a bit cold for more than a short swim at this time of year. The seam in contrast, was warmer and beautifully clear so I enjoyed my daily swim in the sheltered bay, to the rocks and back admiring the fish! We took tennis racquets and played a few times but the net was broken (in place but too low and the winding mechanism was broken/missing).

None of this spoilt our week, however, and it remains an outstanding hotel whose greatest asset is the quality, enthusiasm and willingness to please of the staff. To answer the question we always get on return from holidays of 'would you go back?' to which we always reply 'no, but we would recommend it to you', the Alexander answer is 'yes, we probably shall return'. The difference is, it won't be at half term again as I won't be restricted to this week ever again - yippee!

If you want a hotel where you come first, in an excellent position, superb sun bed system, good food, comfortable rooms, high standards of cleanliness and a thoroughly relaxing break, this is the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Side sea view rooms are sufficient, preferably on the harbour side, as the public areas and sunbeds...
1 Thank a4aly
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Let us thank you for choosing Alexander The Great Beach Hotel for your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and comments about your stay in our hotel.

Thank you for mentioning the excellent location, the superb sun bed allocation system, the good food, comfortable rooms, high standards of cleanliness and most importantly our greatest asset the team of staff we have. We are very proud of each and every one of them and their commitment to provide the very best in customer service.

The whole team and I sincerely look forward to welcoming you back again very soon and hope you enjoy your new found freedom from school holidays. If you are retiring we wish you all the very best in your retirement.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,076)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

We were overawed in April with this newly refurbished hotel therefore decided to book again for October holidays - we were not disappointed - this is a top end 4 star - all employees are still as full as enthusiasm and friendly as they were early in the season. Yes as other reviewers point out drinks are not cheap however they are cheaper than our Mariott and Hilton hotels in England and no different to town prices back home. The 3 restaurants - greek, japanese and italian are well worth a visit - fantastic . The only negative I have is that in the Roxanne restaurant the dishes were not replenished quickly enough or not at all therefore choice was limited if you were to dine at 8.15.
If you have children I can not recommend the kids club High enough - the girls Tasha and Stacey were 'naturals' with them and for peace ofmind you are given a pager - there are plenty if activities for them.

The enthusiasm of the entertainments team has not waned - they are still a great team - good luck to Lucy and Ollie who are moving to Olympic Lagoon for summer 14 and very best wishes to Warren as you take over the entertainments manager role - you deserve it.

Sun bed allocation is a great idea
-all hotels should adopt this idea.

Looking forward to a return trip in April 14.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank diane c
Dear Reviewer,

Let me express my sincere thanks and appreciation for your kind words and to be given the opportunity to extend our hospitality.

Your views about the hotel, the three specialty restaurants Garibaldi the Italian, Kiku the Japanese and Limanaki the Cypriot/ Greek Meze are most appreciated. Also thank you for mentioning Tasha and Syacey in the Little Monsters Kids club staff and Lucy, Ollie and Warren in the Kanika Allstars entertainment team.

It gives me great pleasure to have met your holiday expectations and hope to be able to welcome you back again at the Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in the not too distant future.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Myself and my wife booked a 10 day holiday and based our hotel selection on the views shared on this site. The staff are the warmest and nicest people I have ever seen in a hotel, and the entertainment and food was excellent. The location is excellent with everything a walk away and a good bus service. I cannot speak highly enough of the hotel and hope they continue to maintain such excellent standards. A special mention for Marina on reception - she was great in helping me organise a birthday treat for my wife - I can see why she is employee of the month for Sept 2013! Phililpa was great as well as duty manager resolving any queries, and last but not least, the Kanika All Stars entertainment was brilliant - Lucy was an amazing dancer and performer. A fantastic holiday all round. I do not make a habit of returning to the same hotel twice, however, Alexander the great is absolutely the exception - I look forward to my next trip to Cyprus and this great resort.

Room Tip: A sea front facing room on the 1st or 2nd floor will give you a postcard perfect view each day :)
1 Thank Sounil H
Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos.

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel, we are delighted that we have lived up to your holiday expectations.

Marina on reception, Philippa our Guest Relations Manager and the entertainments team the Kanika All Stars headed by Lucy will be pleased that they have been mentioned

Looking forward to the day when we welcome you back to the hotel.
Frimley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Just returned from the Alexander the Great after a week long stay with our two children (9 & 4). To put into context, I'm reviewing it as a resort/package holiday hotel and within this demographic, I must say it's possibly the best one we've stayed in.

As many other reviewers have mentioned, the hotel is very well run with both British and local staff on hand to assist you when required and everyone we engaged with had an excellent, can-do attitude.

The recent refurbishment means that the hotel is very clean, modern and up-to-date, with well equipped rooms and public areas. I was especially pleased with the complimentary WiFi - many hotels are still charging for this and/or providing a pretty poor service. At the ATG though, the WiFi is reliable and extends out into the grounds as well as inside the hotel. In fact, it seemed to work better outdoors than in, we sometimes had trouble connecting in our room on the second floor.

There were a few niggles with the room, albeit minor irritations: The water in the toilet kept running after it had been flushed and after mentioning this to the maid she was able to stop it, but only until the next time it was flushed when it would keep running again. I found a way round it by tinkering with the mechanism, but it should have been fixed when we reported it. Also the room safe refused to work, but despite reporting this to the reception desk, they didn't fix it as requested.

When we booked the room (via Travel Republic) it had been described as a Deluxe Room with Balcony/Terrace. In my opinion, this is mis-selling (by TR) as there are no 4 bed deluxe (i.e. Standard) rooms in the hotel that have a balcony. The reason being that the rooms at the front of the hotel (and one or two at the seaward side, I'm told) lost their balconies in order to be extended to sleep 4 people. When we spoke to guest relations, they advised us that several booking agents in the UK have not amended their details to reflect the changes since the refurbishment. We'll be taking this up with Travel Republic in due course as it was rather disappointing not to have somewhere to sit and have a quiet drink of an evening before going down for dinner. By way of compensation, the management did offer us a complimentary late checkout.

The children's beds looked like a sort of armchair that folded down into a bed, and whilst they seemed to be comfortable enough, I wouldn't put older children (12+) or teenagers in them.
Pretty much all the rooms that sleep a family of four face the busy road at the front of the hotel so be prepared for some road noise, as the windows are not as soundproof as one would have thought.

Moving on to the food, I should point out that we only used the Roxane Restaurant, as with two children to feed, there was always something to suit them. I'm told by other guests that the other table d'hote restaurants are excellent and I've no reason to doubt them but the kids don't do Japanese and Greek sadly!
I was pleasantly surprised by the main restaurant, the selection of salads and cold dishes is extensive and very tasty and the main courses were very good too. The selection and quality of puddings most nights was excellent. Our favourite being the French evening. The only thing I'd mention is that there didn't seem to be many strongly flavoured dishes, no danger of garlic breath here! I can only imagine that other guests with less adventurous palettes may have complained in the past? Not to say the food is bland, but could have done with a little more zing in some cases. I should also mention that the restaurant was very well run - and not like the normal "feeding time at the zoo" we've seen in other similar sized hotels. It felt quite sophisticated and it was a pleasure to eat there.

There is however, one major issue that the hotel would have to address before I would consider going back - and that's the temperature in the main pool. It was absolutely freezing! Much colder than the sea. The lifeguard admitted there is a design flaw with the way the pool fills that the management is trying to address, but at this time of the year (October) the pool is really too cold for any but the hardiest souls. There is a very nice indoor pool which is heated but with a four year old who loves to be in the pool all day, I spent nearly half the holiday indoors when I'd been hoping to catch some sun. I've no idea whether the pool temperature is better in the summer or not, but this was a major disappointment for me.

The sunbed allocation system, as others have mentioned, works very well. The actual grounds of the hotel are not vast though, it sits on quite a compact plot. While we were there this wasn't an issue, but I can imagine in high season it being rather cramped. There is a pool bar and snack area and the kids meals are good value at €3.70 or so for a chicken nuggets and chips, but we did feel that the drinks were a little overpriced. €6.50 for a milkshake that comprised two small scoops of ice cream and half a pint of milk, €2.70 for a half pint of coke from a dispenser that was mainly ice, etc. There is a small shop across the street where you can buy a 50cl bottle of coke for €1.25. We also blanched at the price of alcohol - €5 for a measure of bacardi or gin (a litre of Bacardi costs €12.95 in the bottle shop down the road), and €1.25 for the bottle of coke or tonic (although in this case the mixer seems good value compared to the €2.70 mentioned earlier!). There are not many happy hours either - only one from 17:30 to 18:30 to take the sting out of the prices and this only includes two local cocktails. Whilst it's a nice hotel, it's not yet in the higher leagues where these prices can be charged/expected - I didn't feel we got particularly good value for money from the bars at all.

Many have mentioned the entertainment staff doing a sterling job, and they certainly put the effort in and are not an untalented bunch. But personally I found it a bit "end-of-the-pier", maybe they can inject a bit more sophistication into it in the future - the hotel is clearly trying to place itself beyond the run of the mill but in my opinion this element was dragging it back a bit. One or two external acts were presented while we were there - the Street Dance crew were very good but the singer (Matthew I think his name was) was a return to Sunday afternoon down the working mens' club.

So, overall, not withstanding the Baltic temperatures in the pool and the rather high drinks prices, this is a very good hotel, which with a few changes could be a really great hotel.

Room Tip: Standard rooms for 4 people all face the road and do not have balconies despite what your travel com...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Grant R
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for mentioning our recent refurbishments, the hotel being clean, modern and up-to-date, the free WiFi, our main buffet restaurant Roxanne's and its selection of salads, cold dishes, the main courses, the selection and quality of puddings and the sun bed allocation system.

Your constructive comments will certainly help us in our efforts to continuously improve our standards. We thank you for raising these issues and providing us with this valuable feedback. Most certainly we will be looking into these issues within our operations.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity of reversing your opinion and the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.
Bourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

This was our second visit to the hotel as we enjoyed it so much last year. The staff in all areas were helpful, warm and friendly. The rooms were upgraded this year including a smart tv, having English television was a plus for me. Food was good and varied and the deserts were to die for, now trying to diet off the extra pounds. A big thanks to Emma in the restruartant for making us feel a bit special.

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our staff, the upgraded rooms with the Smart TV, the good and varied food and I will let Emma our Head hostess know that she has also been mentioned.

Hoping to see you again very soon at the Alexander the Great Beach Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Independently booked a last minute half term break and stayed in side sea view rooms on our first trip to Cyprus in more than 12 years. Already looking forward to returning next October. We do not normally choose large resort hotels but the Alexander the Great did not disappoint.

The rooms were very clean and well appointed as were all of the public areas. Members of staff in every area of the hotel were, without exception, friendly, helpful and, unlike so many other hotels we have stayed in, the focus is undoubtedly customer service with a smile. The location on the seafront is superb and only a 10 minute walk into town or a 10 minute walk the other way to some great restaurants. There's also a small shopping development oppposite the hotel which is very useful.

Foodwise, we only ate breakfast in the hotel and it was excellent: very well presented and organised and lots of choice of very good quality food.

The sunbed allocation was a revelation, much appreciated and something which should be adopted globally! Just below the hotel is a public beach which is very pleasant and has a large protected swimming area in beautifully clear water. About a 2 minute walk along the promenade is Pafos Watersports which we used for parascending and ringoing. It's also possible to rent powerboats, catamarans and pedaloes. We only used the hotel pools once as sadly the water temperature was too low for it to be enjoyable and perhaps this is something that could be addressed by Kanika as the pool area is large and very attractive and it was a pity to not get the use out of them. The outdoor pools were empty for much of the time. It seemed everyone was in the indoor pool! We very much enjoyed the treatments in the Spa which were excellent. The only issue with the Spa is the lack of soundproofing in the treatment rooms...the sound of flushing toilets from above can rather detract from the "Serenity" experience mid-massage!

We only spent one day out of the hotel having hired a jeep to explore the Akamas Peninsula and up to the Green Line via Polis. Highly recommend.

Overall, an excellent relaxing week. We really did not want to leave and cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: We were happy with our side sea view rooms. Enough of the sea to look at and no disturbance from th...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Discerning1001
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our staff, the breakfast being excellent, the location, the sun bed allocation system and the treatments in our Serenity Spa.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next October.
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Great hotel, lovely staff, spotlessly clean, lots of eating options. Loved the location, so close to the beach with lovely clean sea. Easy walk into shopping, bar, restaurant area. We did have a sea view room on the first floor and couldn't ask for better view. It was a little noisy at night due to the entertainment, our room was pretty close but it didn't really bother us. Bed was very comfortable fabulous linen. Great shower. No noise noticed from other guests, no banging doors etc. Outside bar area was a great place to relax with lovely views across to the harbour and castle. Liked the sunbed allocation scheme. If I had to say anything negative it would be the fruit at breakfast which is usually my favourite item, it was mostly tinned or tasteless, however there was plenty of choice otherwise and it was a lovely room with the option to sit outside.

Room Tip: Sea view of course
2 Thank Amanda A
Dear Reviewer,

Your views about the spotlessly clean hotel, the lovely staff, the location, the bed being very comfortable with fabulous linen, the great shower, the outside bar area and the sun bed allocation system are much appreciated by all of us.

It gives me great pleasure to have met your holiday expectations and hope to be able to welcome you back at the Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in the not too distant future.