“Lack of Vegetarian food !!”

Alexander The Great Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is a great hotel, the staff (all of them, without exception) are very polite, truly superb and not only reflect the hotel very well but also their country.
The rooms are lovely, spacious, very well appointed and spotlessly kept. I would go so far as to say the best I have stayed in whilst on holiday.
Sunbeds. A unique and very positive feature of the hotel is that guests are allocated, yes, allocated a sunbed. Bloomin marvellous, a great idea and worked very well. Congratulations to the hotel for this initiative, hopefully other hotels will follow suit.
However, unfortunately there is a weakness in what the hotel provides and that is the food, more specifically for my wife who is vegetarian.
Being blunt, there is no vegetarian option and we found that quite sad given that more and more people do watch their diets now and more people are becoming vegetarian.
The food in general is buffet style and although that style does have its flaws I would say it was just about ok for me, though nothing special. It did become repetitive.
Breakfast is very good and exempt from any criticism we have, but sadly lunch and evening meal were problematic for us and we ended up having to dine out in order to obtain a decent vegetarian meal. An example at the hotel was that one evening there were two restaurants in use, each hosting either a Mexican or local themed evening. We looked at the menu for the local evening with nothing whatsoever for a vegetarian choice, we asked the staff whether something could be made for my wife to allow her to eat. The response was that chef..?, had nothing available for him to cook her something. Very poor.
We ended up with the Mexican themed restaurant as our only choice. Sadly, yet again, there was only a very restricted choice of salad available. (2 salads marked as veggie option had either tuna or anchovy in them, not veggie). This was the last time we ate at the hotel as we found a restaurant within 500 metres (Les Amis) that catered extremely well for all visitors, including would you believe a vegetarian choice.

I think it is quite sad that I have to be so damning about the food (lack of vegetarian choice) given that the hotel otherwise is very very good.

My plea to the hotel management or Head Chef, please consider a separate table dote menu choice, albeit small, for those who don't eat meat and fish. We walked down the road 500 metres and found a restaurant with a choice that surely the hotel could replicate?

1  Thank Paul T
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Let us thank you for choosing Alexander The Great Beach Hotel for your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and comments about your stay in our hotel.

Thank you for mentioning the lovely spacious , well appointed , spotlessly clean room, the sunbed allocation system, the breakfast being very good and most importantly the great team of staff we have at the hotel.

Your constructive comments will certainly help us in our efforts to continuously improve our standards. We are very sadden to read that the service provided by our team in certain areas did not meet with your expectations of our hotel. We thank you for raising these issues and providing us with this valuable feedback. Most certainly we will be looking into these issues within our operations and seeking ways to further improve our service quality.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity of reversing your opinion and the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,742)

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We last visited the Alexander last year prior to it's makeover and we were not disappointed. The refurbished bedrooms are bright and very comfortable although some might find it difficult to operate the TV. The bathrooms are well appointed and some have walk-in showers for the less able. The restaurants provide a very good choice of food and the speciality restaurants must be included in any visit. All the staff are very friendly a NZD give an excellent service; nothing is too much trouble. I like the idea of choosing your sun bed that is yours for the duration of your holiday. Paphos harbour is a gentle 10-15 minute walk along the shoreline path. Buses to the harbour pass the front of the hotel and these connect with other routes serving the whole area including the Old Town.

Room Tip: The best rooms are sea facing, those facing the front can be a little noisy

Dear Reviewer,

Let me express my sincere thanks and appreciation for your kind words and to be given the opportunity to extend our hospitality.

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about the location of our hotel, the refurbished bedrooms which you found to be bright and comfortable, the restaurants providing a very good choice of food, the specialty restaurants, Kiku the Japanese, Limanaki the Cypriot taverna and Garibaldi the Italian and finally the sunbed allocation system.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

We have stayed at the Alexander the Great hotel many times over the last ten years and always spend at least four visits a year at this hotel. Our first visit this year was in March and the hotel has gone from great to the greatest.

We found the refurbishments truly amazing and the new pool area is fabulous. The rooms have also been upgraded and with the improvements for disabled clients I would have no hesitation in bringing my elderly and disabled mother.

The hotel is in our opinion the best in Cyprus and we are amazed at how many friends we meet who are repeaters - it really is a second home for us and the staff are truly amazing.

My husband has just had knee replacement surgery in the UK and the consultant recommended we have a three week stay in Cyprus where the weather would be beneficial to his recuperation.
During the third week of our stay his knee was feeling uncomfortable so I took him to the Royal Artemis clinic for a check up. The clinic advised a stay in the hospital so that they could treat the condition. From that day the support from the hotel staff was phenomenal and everyone from the chambermaid to the manager were so kind and caring. Everyday I was asked how he was progressing and Philippa (Customer Relations) went far beyond her call of duty to ensure that my husband was well looked after and also that I had every support, from the delivery of a beautiful bouquet of flowers and lifts to and from the clinic for my twice daily visits. The hospital coordinator Kate also took care of all the administration for rebooking our return flights and was an angel in sorting out all the paperwork.

I cannot express in words how grateful I am to all the hotel staff for their kindness and support and also from our friends staying at the hotel.

Finally a big thank you to the Animation Team who have also been absolutely brilliant - the day time activities have been so much fun and I now can add Archery and Line Dancing to my CV.
Lucy, Ollie, Ellie, Laura and Stacey you are absolutely fabulous and the evening shows have been excellent entertainment - even my general knowledge has improved with participation in the daily quiz.

Thanks must also go to my friend Beryl - 84 years young and who has clocked up an impressive 65 visits to this hotel.

The Alexander the Great has reached new heights and is simply the best. Thank you everyone for making this stay such an enjoyable experience.

2  Thank Lindsay T

Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos.

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel, we are delighted that we have lived up to your holiday expectations once again and thank you for your continued support over the years. We are pleased to hear that Philippa and all the staff here looked after both yourself and your husband and we wish him a very speedy full recovery. Please keep in touch and let us know how he's getting on.

Thank you also for your comments about our amazing refurbishments, the fabulous new pool area, the upgraded rooms and the disabled rooms.

Our entertainments team the Kanika All Stars, Lucy, Ollie, Ellie, Laura and Stacey will be pleased that they have been mentioned, as I'm sure will Mrs Beryl Watts.

Looking forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

What a brilliant holiday we had, first of all what wonderful staff, I think that's what made it so special.
All the staff from the reception to the maids were very friendly and helpful. We had a turn down service every night and the maid always put chocolates on our pillows (2 on my daughters!)
The restaurant staff made us feel very welcome and made sure we were catered for in every way - George went out of his way to find some strawberry sauce to put on my daughters ice-cream.
The food was exceptional and there was always enough choice for all tastes
The Monster Club was excellent, as was the evening entertainment.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone, and would love to return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank RebeccaFurniss

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our turn down service at night with the chocolates, the Little Monsters Kids Club, the Kanika Allstars entertainment team, the exceptional food and most importantly that you found our staff to be wonderful especially George in the restaurant.

I and the team look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Have been coming here for several years as it offers everything we need for our family. Recently refurbished to a high standard. Lovely serenity pool where we were pleased to have sun beds. Problem if you are allocated sun beds you don't like! Great room, thanks, fantastic maid service. Breakfast, something for everyone. Nice walk to the harbour with plenty of good restaurants. Will come back again.

Room Tip: Superior sea view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank w4jac
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our recent refurbishments, the Serenity pool, the great bedroom, fantastic maid service and the something for everyone breakfast buffet.

Looking forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed in this hotel in Paphos for one week as part of a package with Saga. The hotel is excellent with very nice recently refurbished rooms. The maid service was very good with nice clean rooms and copious towels! The rooms are well appointed with very comfortable beds, tea and coffee facilities and many other facilities. We could have used an extra easy chair at times.
The food in the restaurant, buffet style, was very good indeed with a wide choice and excellent quality. It was all well presented and the staff serving and waiting were pleasant and helpful.
The pools were nice although the outdoor pool was invigorating rather then warm - the sea was warmer! We tended to tour each day rather than use the sun loungers but people rate the reservation service for the loungers highly.
The location is nice, on the sea (a public beach and promenade between hotel and sea). It is close to the harbour a 10 minute stroll away either along a road or on the prom. The beach is coarse sand and gravel but calm and very safe for swimming.

We had a side sea view room - well you could see the shore and parts of the harbour if you leant out over the balcony but it was not what I would term a side sea view! The noise from the road in front of the hotel was intrusive at times - young people the world over like to burn rubber on Friday and Saturday evenings! Choose a full sea view for the best experience.

Room Tip: Choose a full sea view room - side sea view is not ideal and a full road view would be even noisier...
2  Thank Tim C
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Your views about the hotel, with its very nice recently renovated rooms, comfortable beds, complimentary tea and coffee making facilities, the very good buffet in Roxanne's restaurant, the sunbed reservation system, the location and most importantly the staff being pleasant and helpful are most appreciated by all of us here at the hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to have met your holiday expectations and hope to be able to welcome you back at the Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 18 November 2013

From the moment you step through the front doors, you know you are "home" The reception staff remember you and give you a warm welcome back. When you are a repeat customer your booking in form is already filled in and the glass of orange juice is most welcome in the heat.
The newly refurbished rooms are comfortable and provided all the amenities you require, the TV has channels to suite every taste.
The breakfast is a joy, sitting outside is part of our holiday and the variety of food is amazing, traditional English breakfast, cold buffet, cereals, porridge, everything you could wish for. The staff in the restaurant are friendly and efficient.
The hotel is ideally situated within easy walking distance of the harbour but isolated from any noise. There is a path at the rear of the hotel that takes you down to harbour one way and along the coast the other. This path is excellent for those with mobile difficulties as it is wide and even.
For those that do not wish to leave the hotel, there is a sunbed for everyone, allocate on arrival and plenty of diverse activities provided by a very able Entertainment team. This same team provides excellent evening entertainment with songs and dancing for all tastes and of course Ellie's quizzes. Once again the bar staff are friendly and efficient.
We were on Bed and Breakfast so I can not comment on the evening meals, apart from one night in the Garibaldi restaurant where we had a really nice meal. There are several local tavernas within walking distance.
Finally not forgetting the Guest Relations Officer who has a very good insight of local places, events etc.
It is no wonder that people have revisited this hotel many times, 65 being the record.
I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Warm greetings from Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in Paphos, Cyprus.

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our reception staff and their warm welcome, the breakfast staff in Cafe Royale and the large variety of food, the Garibaldi Italian restaurant, the newly refurbished rooms, the sunbed allocation system, Philippa in guest relations and Ellie and the Kanika Allstars entertainment team.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon for your eighth visit.