“One of the best Holiday I have ever had”

Alexander The Great Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Essex
“One of the best Holiday I have ever had”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Even before we arrived I knew this hotel was something special. i had emailed prior to arrival because we would be arrivating late and they replied me with the most wonderful message.
On arrival, my family of 2 adults, 2 children were welcomed with cold cocktails while checked in and promptly dealt with.
We arrived at the room which was spotlessly clean and had an air of being freshly redecorated. The hotel is quite elegant and the plus side is the TV which is connected to the free wifi which enables keep up with any shows you might miss from home.
My Kids 6 & 3 especilly loved the children's (little monsters kids club) which kept them entertained while we were able to have our me time.
The indoor pool was refreshingly warm and we made use of it a lot and I happy to say my kids can now swim on their own, thanks to the floats made available to us.
We were celebrating our anniverssary and the hotel surprised us with a bottle of champagne which was quite sweet.
We were on a half board package and i can say the food was fabulous. I wasnt even tempted to eat out as the dinner was always something differnt and delicious. the wiatres were fast and prompt, the surrondings was quite elegant. Breakfast was delicious hot and quite plentiful.
Also the sun lounge system just made being here effortless, the gym is quite adequate but i made use of the weather by jogging outside.
It has its own private little cosy beach hust by the pool side and the hotel location is perfect as it is just 20 minutes walk to the harbour, where you have lots to do.
You get given beach towels, free wifi, chocolates on your pillows.

The staff were all so courteous and made you feel special and thank you to the management for organising a kind of club event with free drinks and canapes.
We had a fabulous time in Paphos and Alexander the great and will definately be back.

2 Thank Rikibaby
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Warm greetings from Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in Paphos, Cyprus.

Let us thank you for choosing Alexander The Great Beach Hotel for your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and comments about your stay in our hotel.

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our courteous staff, the spotlessly clean renovated rooms, the Smart TV's with the free of charge WiFi, the indoor heated pool, the Little Monsters kids club and the sunbed allocation system. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed your celebratory bottle of champagne for your anniversary.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,060)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Great location, just a short walk along the sea front path to the harbour of Paphos. We had a sea view room which was on the first floor at the right hand end of the building. All rooms seemed to have a nice balcony at least on the seaward side. So we had a great view across Paphos harbour to the castle which was nicely lit up at night.

The room we had looked like it had been recently renovated - new PVC windows and doors, nice fresh decor, comfortable beds, etc. there were some small things in the room which had not been finished perfectly - loose mosaic tile in the bathroom which frequently stuck to my foot! A little rough around the tiling and shower fittings, loose glass pane on the balcony - small things that just suggested that the finish was not the highest quality. One last thing about the room we had nice big windows on two sides - and an internal window between the bathroom and the bedroom - with a blind for privacy. Only trouble was the bathroom window had no cover and so the sun shone into the bathroom and hence into the bedroom - great for waking up early, not great for a lie in.

Overall the hotel staff was very friendly everywhere we went. The breakfast was ample with a good choice of English or continental with a few local Cyprus dishes. We did not eat in any of the restaurants in the day or evening - the hotel was pushing half board but we like to eat out. And with the short walk into town there was plenty of choice, Greek, Chinese, Cypriot, Italian, fast food to mention a few.

Back to the hotel. One good thing is the indoor heated pool which works well in the off season when the outdoor pool is a little cold. The beach is not great - but then I never have thought the Cyprus beaches were as good as say the far east or Caribbean. I have been spoilt! We also looked down on the private, adults only 'villas' - they each had their own small pools separated by walls from each other and running straight up to each rooms sun deck. Nice idea, but I would have been disappointed if I had booked a private pool only to be overlooked.

Room Tip: Seaward side - end room at the west end of the hotel - with a nice round balcony
1 Thank Balleeee
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for mentioning the great location, the recently renovated rooms with new windows, doors, comfortable beds and fresh decor. Also the indoor pool, the breakfast being ample with good choices of English, continental and Cypriot.

Your constructive comments will certainly help us in our efforts to continuously improve our standards. We thank you for raising these issues and providing us with this valuable feedback. Most certainly we will be looking into these issues within our operations and seeking ways to further improve our service quality.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity of reversing your opinion and the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2014

As I am disabled it is always difficult to find the perfect hotel. There is always something not quite right. Not at the alexander the great. The hotel staff are so helpful and friendly. The lift looked small but the wheelchair fitted in fine. The bathroom had a walk in shower and a mat was provided when asked as the floor was very slippy when wet. The only part of the hotel not accessable is the pool as there are steps to get in. The room we had was very bright and clean. It had a kettle in so you could make a drink when you wanted and the tea and coffee was renewed each day. In dinning room they have themed nighted. You help yourself to what you wanted so could eat as much or as little as you wanted. The desserts were very naughty but nice. Wished I could have stayed longer

Room Tip: Have a sea veiw
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our staff being helpful and friendly,the food especially the very naughty but nice desserts, the in room tea and coffee facilities and accessibility for your wheelchair around the hotel.

I and all the team here look forward to welcoming you back to the Alexander the Great Beach hotel.
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I think I should start by saying that I would highly recommend this hotel, and I would return to Alexander the Great as my stay overall was massively enjoyable and as an all-round experience it was superb. This is therefore a whisker off a 5/5...
Having read many of the reviews before choosing where to stay in Cyprus, I was excited to be staying at this hotel. I was treating myself to something that was probably more expensive than what I'd pay for a beach resort hotel, and particularly for a 4* hotel, but I was willing to do so based on the reviews I read.
I shall get the negative bits out of the way first. Basically, I had paid extra for a sea view room, and on arrival, I was very impressed at first, I was sat down in the pretty reception area with a non-alcholic fruity cocktail while the front desk sorted out my details and room and a few minutes later was shown to my room. However, I was already slightly disappointed as I was given room 017 which I knew meant I was on the ground floor. Although this meant I was on the first floor in relation to the pool area, my view of the sea was obstructed to an extent, and I was directly above the indoor pool and spa area. What then became quickly apparent was far worse. I had 10s of ants running around the floor of my bedroom, coming in from the balcony (where I saw far more ants). On speaking with the reception desk, I was hoping they would move me, but I was merely sent a housekeeping lady to spray what I assume was ant killer spray (which left a not so great smell in the room). While that did indeed kill the ants in the room, there were still plenty directly on my balcony and to the side of it, which meant more ants were coming into my room. I went back to reception and was told that no rooms were available until the weekend (I had arrived on a Thursday) so I was going to have to survive 2-3 nights in a room that was full of ants! After going to the beach for a couple of hours, I came back to find a pool of water in the bathroom...it was evident quite quickly there was also a leak from the toilet...luckily it was fresh water! But it was still seeping out from the bottom of the toilet. At this stage I asked to speak to a duty manager, as the guest relations manager was nowhere to be seen for the first 2-3 days of my stay and showed them the ants and the leak and quite vocally dictated to the manager (it was not the general manager, but a member of the management team) that this hotel room was not acceptable to let out in any hotel, let alone a 4* hotel that was aiming to be a 5* hotel, and one for which I had paid a lot of money to stay in. I told him that I wanted to be moved that same day as nothing else was acceptable. I subsequently got moved within 2 hours to room 259 and enjoyed a superb stay for the rest of my week in Cyprus. I also had one of the most beautiful views I've ever had in a hotel, over the bay of Paphos, the pool area, the rest of the hotel and out to sea. My point in summary though, is that I should have been moved the moment there was an issue with my room, otherwise my entire stay could have been ruined.
Now onto the much nicer stuff, all the positives:-
The rooms are fabulous and definitely 4* superior...nice to have a balcony, the sea views are stunning, especially with the views down to paphos harbour. The towels, bedding, seats, furniture are all of a high quality and you can see it had recently been refurbished. The bathrooms were fabulous and the blind system whereby you could see through to the bedroom was a quirky and unique touch. I loved the turn down service every evening, and the housekeeping staff were polite and friendly at all times. I also liked the fact you got towels to use round the pool and beach areas, separate to those for use in the room.
The beds were also very comfortable and I slept very well every night.
As most others have stated, the sunbed allocation scheme works perfectly - it's simple and effective and avoids any arguments or early morning towel shenanigans!
The hotel interior was very pleasant, the bars were very good, cocktails superb, and bar staff very knowledgeable and friendly. Nice that you got crisps and nuts free with every drink. The public areas have been designed very well too...great views from the terrace of the main bar, nice restaurant spaces, superb pool areas, just a shame that the pool swim-up bar was shut due to it being just out of peak season (I went at the start of November).
I didn't eat dinner, but did have lunch at the pool bar which was delicious and the breakfast buffet was superb every day - full of choice, good fresh food, and the omelette/egg chefs were amazing fun...cooked fresh to order and a great sense of humour - of great credit to the hotel.
The location of the hotel is superb...in fact, i doubt there are many better spots in the whole of Cyprus. Everything in Paphos is within walking distance including a large array of superb restaurants, the harbour, castle and ancient archaelogical park (definitely worth seeing).
More importantly, the hotel is on the main pedestrian promenade that leads all the way to the centre of Paphos, but is also directly above a stunning sandy beach which also has some of the most beautifully crystal clear water I have ever seen in my life - no surprise it has a European Blue Flag award...and the sunsets viewed from my allocated sunbed on the cliff above the beach, or indeed from the beach itself (the hotel is directly west facing) were too amazing for words even on the slightly more overcast days...and it got up to 28c in November!
The staff have clearly been well trained. Aside from the front desk staff with whom I had some run-ins due to the issues I had with my room (and who seemed somewhat defensive to be in such an important customer-facing role) and the frequently non-existent guest relations manager, the people I encountered at Alexander the Great hotel were "great" and a complete pleasure to deal with and so genuinely hospitable - absolutely of credit to Kanika Hotels group.
I had a massage at the spa...this was very good and the prices are reasonable.
If I was going to be slightly pedantic, I could point out small details (and these are the details that would certainly distinguish this hotel from a true 5* hotel) such as the poor quality plastic loungers, the fact that the bedrooms were a little on the small side but these are such tiny things when reviewing this hotel as a whole experience.
I also need to make a final point in relation to the entertainment which was outstanding in every way possible. It may have been tailored to an older audience as it was winter sun season, but the team of Ellie, Laura, Lucy and Ollie were amazing. I managed to do a whole host of daytime and evening activities including bowling, table tennis, bingo, archery, darts and karaoke and even won certificates for coming first on a number of occasions!
Overall, this was a sensational week in what is a very, very good hotel.
Absolutely highly recommended.

Room Tip: I would recommend a sea view room on the 2nd or 3rd floor. Sea view supplement is worth every penny...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank AngloItalian78
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for mentioning the fabulous rooms, the privacy blind in the bathroom, the pool towels, the sunbed allocation system, the hotel interior, the delicious pool bar lunch, the European Blue Flagged beach and most importantly that you found the housekeeping staff to be polite and friendly at all times, the omelette/egg chefs to be amazing fun and the staff well trained.

Your constructive comments will certainly help us in our efforts to continuously improve our standards. We are very sadden to read that the service provided by our team in certain areas did not meet with your expectations of our hotel. We thank you for raising these issues and providing us with this valuable feedback. Most certainly we will be looking into these issues within our operations and seeking ways to further improve our service quality.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Booked for feb half term on very good value deal, a smart place newly renovated throughout; friendly smiley staff, kids loved Rhian running the 'little monsters' club. Hadn't mentioned it was my birthday but welcome bottle of champers left in our room that day.

Fun activities on offer during day if you want them, and a decent evening show that's suitable for all ages. Good breakfast/bar food. Didn't dine in restaurant, plenty of eating options in easy walking distance along the seaside prom (nice, no cars). We had a car, but this would be a good location if you didn't; with town and attractions all short walk away.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank AlexJCo
Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos.

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel, we are delighted that we have lived up to your holiday expectations. We are glad you liked the renovations, also the friendly smiley staff in particular Rhian from the kids club. Also that you enjoyed your birthday celebrations whilst you were with us.

Looking forward to the day when we welcome you back to the hotel.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Alexander on 1st-8th Feb. We had a lovely time. It was my birthday during our stay and we were upgraded to the side seaview room which was fantastic. It is lovely to have a seaview from the balcony. I would definitely recommend the seaview rooms rather than the other side of the hotel which is facing a road. The hotel also provided me with a birthday cake in our room which I thought was a lovely touch, and it was very tasty too :)
All the hotel staff were very friendly. The breakfast buffet is great, there is so much selection and freshly squeezed orange juice. The evening buffet was nice, some nights better than others, but I wouldn't say the food was outstanding. It is a bit disappointing in the winter that only the buffet restaurant is open. The Italian restaurant is meant to be open once a week, but it wasn't during our stay which was a real shame because it looked really nice. I understand it is not worth their while though with the hotel being quiet.
The pools outside looked amazing with jacuzzis and stuff, but far too cold this time of year!
The hotel is in a fantastic location, a short and lovely walk along the promenade to Paphos harbour which has nice cafes and tavernas. If you walk in the other direction it is also a nice walk and you pass nice beaches.
We were pleasantly surprised how nice the weather was for this time of year, it was possible to sunbathe by the pool and I wore shorts for most of the week. Such a nice break from the awful weather we've been getting here in the UK.
Evening entertainment in the hotel was ok, but the clientele seem to be mainly over 70 so did feel the odd ones out being in our early 30's!
Overall lovely comfortable, friendly, clean hotel in a good location. Thanks Alexander the Great for a fantastic holiday, we would recommend :)

Room Tip: Seaview rooms are worth booking :)
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Suze1234567
Dear Reviewer,

Greetings from Alexander The Great Beach Hotel in Paphos.

Thank you taking the time to review our hotel, we are delighted that we have lived up to your holiday expectations. That you liked the new renovations, the friendly smiley staff and the good breakfast food. Also the birthday champagne we sent to your room for your celebrations.

Our children's club attendant Rhian will be pleased that she has been mentioned.

Looking forward to the day when we welcome you back to the hotel.
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014

stayed at this great hotel complex for one week, this hotel is situated right on the beach a short walk from the centre of town, food was excellent a different theme every night, an excellent bar with entertainment every night, there was entertainment during the day if you want, as we were out and about every day we did not take part in that, trips out and long walks along the coast, there were four in our party a great time was had by all

Room Tip: select a room above the second floor to avoid the sounds from the bar area
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cecil B
Dear Reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our excellent food with a different theme every night and the evening entertainment.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.