“Fantastic Hotel”

Alexander The Great Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We just love this hotel, visited several times over the past fourteen years, attention to detail and great service. I E-mailed the hotel prior to arrival requesting the same room as last visit and received a reply to say would be accommodated if possible, and lucky me it was, not going to tell the room number don't want others to book possibly the same time as my return. But ask for third floor with pool view.
Check in was smooth and efficient reception staff were very friendly and with a greeting of welcome back,i didn't have any other need for their services during my stay but my general observations of the reception staff and their dealings with other guests were very good.
The manager was seen everyday, throughout the day, he welcomed and greeted guests, and it was evident that he wanted to ensure everything was carried out to perfection, also seen around the hotel throughout the day was Argyris the food and beverage manager always greeted guests with a smile.
I cannot express my thanks enough to the hotel staff they are so unfailingly polite and friendly and any matter that requires attention is promptly and properly dealt with.
The hotel must be commended for the restaurants service and huge variety of food, most nights are theme nights, and thanks to the restaurant manager Angellos and his staff for non-stop service in the restaurant, a big thank you to Aphrodite (think the spelling is right) on the meet and greet entering the restaurants, always had a smile and a polite greeting although very busy always had time for a quick chat, thank you again.
The Alexander the Great is a excellent hotel that standards do not slip but IMPROVE. Thank you to Philippa, Guest Relations Manager who gladly had a medical card translated from English to Greek which allowed me a smooth walk through the airport security.
Thank you once again for a comfortable and enjoyable stay, we look forward to returning very soon.

Room Tip: Third floor pool view
2  Thank raaf0
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Let me express my sincere thanks and appreciation for your kind words and to be given the opportunity to extend our hospitality.

Thank you for your views about the attention to detail, before and during your stay, the warm welcome you received and the service you received in our restaurants.

Philippa our Guest Relations Manager will be very happy to see that she has been named, as will Argyris our Food and Beverage Manager, Angelos the Restaurant Manager and Aphrodite the hostess at the restaurant.

It gives me great pleasure to have met your holiday expectations and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at the Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in the not too distant future.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,705)

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Absolutely love this hotel.Everything from the location, beautiful sunsets from the sun terrace,cleanliness, lovely rooms and a variety of restaurants to eat in, make this a great choice for a fantastic holiday. The best thing about this hotel is the friendly atmosphere and it is all down to the wonderful staff.
The Kanika Allstars managed this year by Warren ( your mum will be proud, you've got another mention on trip advisor!) put on a great variety of night time shows which were very professional as well as entertainment during the day.
The bar was run by a team of very efficient staff. Zhivko, Tolis and Demitris behind the bar and Alina, Michaela and Alina (my three amigos) all very organised and good at their job. Always smiling and chatting with guests making them feel relaxed and at home, nothing is too much trouble. I must not forget Eric, new to the hotel but doing a great job.
If you have never stayed here before give it a try, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Lizzy D

Dear Reviewer,

Let us thank you for choosing Alexander The Great Beach Hotel for your holidays. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and comments about your stay in our hotel.

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about our wonderful staff, the location, the cleanliness, the lovely rooms and the variety of restaurants.

Also for mentioning by name the Bar staff members, Alina, Michaela, Alina, Zhivko, Tolis, Demetris and Erik and our Entertainments Manager Warren and his Kanika Allstars team.

Looking forward to the day when we welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I stayed here with my mother for a week in May. We had the most basic room type which overlooked the main road. The room was much more spacious than I'd expected it would be with very comfortable beds and clean, modern bathroom. The privacy blind in the bathroom is a clever idea to allow some natural light in.
The hotel is beautiful with everything one would expect from a 4/5* hotel. Food is varied and very good. I have food allergies and each evening the head chef showed me round to let me know what was safe to eat. He always offered to cook something separate for me if I wished him to. Guests have the option to eat in the on site Japanese and Italian restaurants nice during the week. I'd recommend booking these as soon as you arrive as they are not open every day and get booked up.
The pool area is nice, but sunbeds are a bit squashed together in the main area. If you get a choice sit by the adult only pool area, it is quieter and less cramped. Sun beds are allocated to you on arrival (when you 1st go down to the pool). It is possible to swap during the week as people leave, just ask the helpful pool attendant.
All staff, without exception, are friendly and helpful. They seem to genuinely like working there.
Take time to explore Paphos on foot, it's 10 mins to the harbour and 1 of the many fabulous ancient ruins that dot the area.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KentJuliaC

Dear Reviewer,

I would like to express my sincere thanks for your good comments about the spacious bedroom, the comfortable beds,and that you liked the privacy blind in the bathroom.

Thank you for also mentioning that our Executive Chef Pambos personally assisted you with your dietary requirements, to ensure that you were able to enjoy your food whilst on holiday. Thank you for highlighting that you found all of our staff without exception to be friendly and helpful.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We arrived by car, the barrier on the gate opened on approach, we found a parking place without difficulty. We paid extra for a sea view and got a room with a very good view west along the coast. The air conditioning system didn't seem to blow much air in, but we prefer fresh air at this time of year so had the balcony door open most of the time so it was no problem. Plenty of wardrobe space, power points, adequate lighting; wifi was free but not very fast. Kettle with tea and coffee was a nice touch. Bathroom was well equipped with bath and shower, but bath waste drained very slowly, even after I repaired the pop-up waste.

Only one restaurant was open of the 4 claimed - buffet only so we didn't try it. Each night we walked in to town, only 10 mins away (can walk along good paved path along the beach). There are plenty of restaurants in town.

The beach is small and sea-weed infested so most people used the pool.

Breakfast was a bit disappointing: juices very dilute, poor pastries, hardly any fresh fruit (when the island roads have many stalls at present piled high with ripe strawberries).

Room Tip: Sea view room worth having, west end has a view along the cost to the harbour.
1  Thank astronomer-at-large

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for mentioning the bedroom with plenty of wardrobe space, the complimentary WiFi and tea and coffee facilities.

Your constructive comments will certainly help us in our efforts to continuously improve our standards. We are very sadden to read that you found the breakfast buffet lacking in fresh fruits and poor pastries. Every morning we have the following selection of fruit, apples, pears, oranges- sliced/ whole, watermelon/ honeydew melon, kiwi, pink grapefruit, apricots, peaches and fruit salad. The danish pastries, croissants, chocolate muffins, fruit muffins, chocolate cake, fruit cake, marble cake, olive pies, apple pies and almond bites on the breakfast buffet are all made fresh in-house every morning by our pastry department.

We are disapointed that you didn't try any of our restaurants. From May we always have the Limanaki Cypriot restaurant open up to two nights a week, the Kiku Japanese up to three nights a week, the Garibaldi Italian up to five nights a week, as long as the weather permits as the Kiku and Limanaki are outdoor restaurants.

The whole team and I sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity of reversing your opinion and the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Stayed at Alexander the Great for two weeks and felt I had to write my first ever review. Everything in this hotel is first class. The rooms are spotless with the most comfortable beds, lovely toiletries, towels changed twice daily.

We stayed half board and the food at breakfast and dinner was excellent and good quality. Plates were always hot and staff always showed us to a table ( no hunting around looking for one)!! Emma welcomed us every morning and evening, even knew our room numbers and always asked about our day no matter how busy she was. We had dinner twice in both Japanese and Italian restaurants and quality and presentation in both were first class.

The thing that makes this hotel different from (the many) others that we have visited is the staff. They were all brilliant but Alena, Michaela (bar staff) are lovely, happy and efficient and we enjoyed our chats and laughs with them and still think of them with a smile. Erik is a nice shy young lad and even though he has only been at hotel for a few weeks he knows his job and is always smiling. Last but not least is Phillipa - a very informative and capable woman - an asset to the hotel.
Don't usually return to same hotel but we will definitely be back!!!

The Lawsons and Simpsons
Scotland

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carolyn L
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Your views about the hotel, the cleanliness, the comfortable bed and the food are most appreciated.

Emma our hostess, Alina, Michaela, Erik in the bar and Philippa our Guest Relations Manager will be delighted when they see that they have been mentioned personally.

Your comments have already been shared with all the team members concerned and will motivate them even more to keep up the excellent work.

It gives me great pleasure to have met your holiday expectations and hope to be able to welcome you back at the Alexander the Great Beach Hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel is exceptional! Never before have we experienced the quality of service and the genuine aim to please. We ate in 4 different hotel restaurants, all were fantastic. We reluctantly went to the evening show but were absolutely blown away by the quality of the resident entertainment team. The hotel is situated in a prime position close to Paphos and with the option to spend time on the beach or around the pool by day. The lunchtime menu is out of this world and matched as always by friendly service. My only worry about this hotel is that other people will get to know about it!

Room Tip: Sea facing rooms are in high demand. To us a partially facing sea view was sufficient.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris D

Dear Reviewer,

Your views about the hotel being exceptional, the location and most importantly that you were impressed with the quality and level of service are most appreciated by all of us here. I will be sharing your review with all the staff and a copy of it will be displayed in the staff room, as I believe it is very important to let them all know what a great job they are doing.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

Just returned yesterday from this hotel ; was here 2 years ago and thought that the hotel was very good then. What a transformation !! It is now like a boutique hotel ;rooms with big very comfortable beds and stylish fittings The same fantastic service, excellent housekeeping .Very good food , wonderful bar/waitressing staff who treat you like a long lost friend.
Don't just take my word for it .!!
Go ! You will not be disapointed .
p.s. book a sea veiw room , they are the best.

Room Tip: book the sea veiw room , extra cost but well worth the money. ( partial sea veiw can have traffic no...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Andreas C, General Manager at Alexander The Great Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Reviewer,

Our housekeeping team will appreciate the 'Excellent housekeeping' comment and the bar waitress team will be delighted when we show them the review. I am delighted that the renovations have met with your approval also.