“Not a bad hotel, but not 5 star.”
Review of Venus Beach Hotel

Venus Beach Hotel
Ranked #74 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Swansea, South Wales
“Not a bad hotel, but not 5 star.”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I agree with the previous reviews - this is not a 5 star hotel but should be a 3 or 4 star instead. My husband & I stayed here for 2 weeks on full board basis in September 2013. We were meant to stay in the Alexander the Great hotel, but the provider changed our accommodation. I was very wary of going to Venus beach after reading the bad reviews, but to be honest it wasn't too bad at all, but I do agree it could do with some sparkle as the hotel was a bit dated.

First the good points:
Check-in service was efficient. We arrived late evening and were offered a welcome glass of orange juice and were able to eat at the restaurant which didnt shut until 10pm.
The room was large and the beds nice and firm. I was pleasantly surprised to find a good range of bathroom condiments and plenty of wardrobe and drawer space, although the furniture looked a bit tired.

The hotel is in a fairly good location - right on the seafront and close to the coastal path and plenty of bars and restaurants. We had a view overlooking the tomb of the kings and the coastal path. Like a previous reviewer has mentioned we did have a partial sea view, but the balcony was only big enough for 1 person at a time to sit or stand out.

The food was of a good quality - they seasoned a lot of the dishes really well - just the right quantity of herbs and salt. There wasnt a flimsy chip in sight, but a variety of well prepared potatoes, rice and pastas. The selection was a bit limited and the cooked breakfast went downhill during our stay.
All the staff were hardworking.

The pool area was nice and pleasant and the jacuzzi feature in the pool was nice.
It was great being near the coastal path & you could walk both ways but it was a bit sandy.
It was nice watching the sea which was quite rough and I'd recommend people only paddle and do not try to swim here - go down the road to Coral bay instead.

The negatives: The bar was a bit pricey, but there was a good selection of local places to choose from and we enjoyed a stroll to a local bar from the hotel,
Some of the guests were a bit pushy at breakfast time. You would be queuing and they would dive in front of you. It got annoying after 13 days.
The bar staff were not very friendly and the entertainer ignored us until our 10th day. Entertainment was in general a bit non-existent.
You had to pay extra for use of the sauna which I thought was poor. The gym and table tennis were both free.

All in all we enjoyed our stay - had 2 glorious weeks of sunshine, and I would recommend the Venus beach to anyone who would like a hotel this end of Paphos (it is a 50 min walk to the harbour). Hope this review is helpful to anyone considering a holiday at the Venus beach. Cheers EM.

Room Tip: Choose a sea view room or side view room overlooking the tombs
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ElusiveM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks full board with my fiance last 2 weeks of September. Was really worried after reading a lot of bad reviews on here. Although I agree the hotel doesn't deserve the 5 star rating, I think it is level with a good 4 star hotel in Spain. It is looking a bit tired and dated and didnt look a patch on the 5 star Elysium but was a lot better than expected.

Reception were friendly and check-in was really efficient. We arrived at 9.50pm and were offered an evening meal but declined as we had eaten a snack on the plane.

The hotel is on the whole good - nice pool area, large room, food quality good and in an ok location. There are a good selection of bar's down the Tomb of the Kings road I'd recommend - beer is cheap in Paphos - expect to pay between 1.50 - 2 Euros for a pint (even in the harbour). Soft drinks and coffees were more expensive. We can recommend Paddy's bar (opp the hotel); DT's sunset bar, Copa bar (very friendly staff); Jungle bar (towards the Roman hotel) - again great friendly staff & last but not least the pit stop pub had good singers on several nights of the week.

The hotel has a few negatives - roadworks on the TOTKR make crossing the road dangerous & the area is very dusty. Some of the staff were not very friendly. entertainment was non-existent & the sea was rough to swim in - there are warnings however. The hotel is a good 45 min walk from the harbour but it is quite nice on the coastal path & on the way back there are some pubs to break up the walk when you need re-hydrating!

The cleaning staff worked hard but there was just so much dust in the area (they hadnt had rain since april according to a local) that our room and balcony got very dusty.
The balcony was small but we had a nice view of the sea and the tombs.

Some of the guests in the hotel lacked any manners & did not understand queuing. I'll leave you guess who the culprits were!

I would recommend this hotel if they can sort out these negatives & would considere staying here again if I got a bargain.

Room Tip: Book a side sea view over the tomb of the kings - you get sun from 7am - 4pm. Rooms with a pool view...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Pubman2665
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

I agree with other reviews. It is more like a 4 star than a 5. You can definitely see it used to be a 5, and although the service is great, it is a little tired and could do with refirb to get it back up to 5 stars. Comparing with Elysium next door you can see the difference. However, you get what you pay for. I feel if it was downgraded to a 4 star then there would be less negative reviews. It is a little out the way from main area but easily walkable. Staff are great but night time entertainment could definitely be better. Views are amazing. Sunset from bar area. You were not given a mini fridge if all inclusive. Instead you had to pay for the use of a fridge. I have not come across this before. Personally, if your all inclusive, you should at least get water!! All in all we had a great time in this hotel. Staff very helpful and hard working. Would recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 September 2013

A very comfortable hotel, clean and safe. Breakfast excellent, lunch good, didn't do dinner. Staff very polite and friendly. Location a plus, on a strip that's a frequent bus route to the Harbour in one direction or Coral Bay Beach in the opposite direction. Many eateries around (walking distance). Didn't care for the beach area (rough waters), instead took a short bus ride to Coral Bay Beach. Pool area great. I would definitely recommend and book another holiday at this hotel.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 2nd floor with a street view and a slight view of the ocean. I was very satisfied...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Debbie L
Newbiggin-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed for 1 week All Inclusive in May 2013 - £800 !!!
Worst Hotel I have ever stayed in - arrived first day/night and were told our All Inclusive didn't start until the next day and ended the day before our departure. Rooms in need of complete refurbishment (i.e. lick of paint, broken beds, ancient bathrooms with broken tiles, and out of order lifts) Managerial Staff were extremely rude and accused my TEETOTAL 28 years old daughter of drinking too much!!! In actual fact we had to eat out majority of the week just to get a decent meal as lunch was a set menu every day of the week and included finding a black curly hair and a fly for which there was no apology. Only snack was a box of stale processed cheese and ham sandwiches and dry cake once per day. Other guests had booked for 2 weeks but were so disappointed they got earlier flights home after 1 week!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank WEEKENDER1011

Travellers are raving about these Paphos hotels

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We visited this hotel as a family (including a toddler) of what was expected to be a nice weekend away from our normal routine. However, we understood that would not be the case the moment we arrived there:
1. Hotel's parking area (underground and overground) is "reserved" for members of staff, so we had to find a place to park about 0,5km away from the hotel;
2. Reception staff were not interested in assisting people walking in the hotel;
3. When we reported the parking issue to the reception manager, their reaction was "where should we park our cars?";
4. Breakfast was very poor with bread and croissants being at least 2 days' old;
5. Cleanliness of the rooms, hotel areas and childern swimming pool was very poor;
6. The room was basic, bathroom tired and the air con barely functioned (I stole this from worldtraveller7's report);
7. ....

The hotel needs a serious re-examination of its star status. I have stayed in better 3 star hotels.

I would not recommend this to anyone...

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank The_Greek_Maestro
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have just returned from the Venus beach hotel pathos on an all inclusive 7 day holiday. After reading other reviews we were worry that our holiday would be spoilt but having been there ourselves I have had to write and put my opinion down. We were greeted by a very helpful receptionist who told us a cold meal had been put aside for us as we arrived too late for dinner. Our bags were taken up by a very obliging porter who showed us how to work air conditioning ect. The rooms were not the most modern but were very clean and tidy. Our breakfast was very enjoyable, and may I say I have one of the worlds most fussy eaters for a husband and he had no problem finding something at every meal. The best thing that made the Venus beach hotel stand out was the most friendliest and obliging staff we have ever met nothing was too much for them and there only aim was to make your holiday the most relaxing they could. Our thanks to Peter,Razvan, Thomas ect for doing just that.

• Stayed August 2013