“The best family holiday we have had.”

Aliathon Holiday Village
Ranked #25 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“The best family holiday we have had.”
Reviewed 7 May 2011

We returned from the Aliathon holiday village last week & have already checked prices to return later this year as we absolutely loved it.

We travelled with our daughters aged 5 & 3 and this is the best holiday we have had as a family, I couldn't fault it. The girls loved the splash pool & really enjoyed spending time at the kids club which was very well organised & well run. The kids club reps were bursting with energy & enthusiasm all day long & our girls loved them.

It is the first all inclusive holiday that we have done with the children & we were really impressed with the quality & variety of food. Our two can be fussy eaters but there was always something that they would try & thankfully not always chips! I was pleased that there was always a choice of veggies for the children & plenty of fresh fruit & healthy options.

We stayed in the deluxe junior suite with the special kids room. It was really spacious & kept very clean & we overlooked the main pool & lighthouse, a lovely view to wake up to.

Overall it was a fantastic holiday destination & we will definatley go back. I dont normally feel compelled to write a review but after such a lovely holiday I thought I would add one here. We would really recommend the Aliathon holiday village to families.

5 Thank Evewouldhave

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Having just returned from a week in the Aliathon Holiday Village in Paphos I felt it was worth typing a review and recommending this village to other holidayers. Whilst it is suitable for couples the village is really geared up towards those with younger families.

Its a large village with 2 areas the older aegean village and the far more modern fishing village with the large pool and lighthouse complex in the centre. The nicer accommodation certainly appears to be in the newer section.

We had a deluxe studio in the fishing village. Great room, clean, nice size and had everything you would expect for this level including air conditioning and satellite tv. Nice comfy sofa and the bed was good as well. In all honesty it made a nice base for the week.

The only slight downside was that the studio was right next to the main activities area meaning it could get quite noisy in the daytime as this holiday village has LOTS of daytime activities going on.

Room service was adequte and was every couple of days.

Food was better than regular all inclusive assuming you were an adult and not a vegetarian. Lots of grilled chicken and fish most days and reasonable choice of salads and sides although like any all inclusive it can get a little dull after 4-5 days. Lunch was to a similar good standard. Breakfast was good also... they even made fresh pancakes most days as well with real maple syrup which was a nice touch!

As part of your stay you got 2 a la carte dinners, one mexican and one greek. Whilst I wouldn't describe the food as gourmet it was nice and certainly a notch above the all inclusive menu.

If you did want to eat out on occasions you didn't feel too bad as the cost of the all inclusive element didn't make you feel too guilty!

Nice evening bar.... and there was an adults bar in the lighthouse area of the fishing village which was really quiet when we went but I guess in the warmer months gets quite busy. They do like to show sky sports!

Staff were really friendly and helpful, we had a problem with our air con which was fixed immediately and our room had twin beds by mistake which was remedied immeidately!

Its a good value holiday with a 4hr flight.. although very british... so if your looking for lots of culture this may not be the choice for you! I think its fair to say you get what you pay for and this was an ideal base for a week away.

Would certainly recommend to others and you can see why it has won awards with First Choice for best Holiday Village.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank flumph77
Wales
Reviewed 29 April 2011

This is a factual review based upon our experience at this hotel. Having stayed at other all inclusive hotels we are experienced in what to expect.
We travelled to the Aliathon over the Easter break. We chose this hotel due to reading previous reviews on Trip Advisor and also due to the gym facilities available. We booked through First Choice and apart from being disorganised with getting people onto the bus on arrival at Paphos airport the First Choice staff at the hotel were friendly and helpful.
When we arrived we purchased access to a safety deposit box at 3 euros per day. We stayed in a Deluxe studio room which we had paid a little extra for. The room was located on the fishing village part of the hotel and was lovely. As expected we had a balcony with sun loungers and a table and chairs. We were fortunate enough to be in a great position and our balcony was in the sun most of the day. Unfortunately when setting up in the room the safe would not work and stated that it had a low battery. Also on the top panel on the bathroom door there was what can only be described as a smearing of blood. This was not too prominent from afar but could clearly be seen when approaching the bathroom. My partner telephoned the reception immediately to report both the marks on the door and the safe. They promised to deal with this straight away but three days later after carrying our valuables around with us they still hadnt fixed the safe or cleaned the door. My partner attended the reception area and complained about this. The receptionist checked the log book and our telephone call apparently had not been logged from three days prior. My partner explained that we had paid three euros a day for the box and the receptionist provided a refund for the three days that we had missed out on only. Within an hour someone had replaced the batteries on the safe so that we could use it and cleaned the marks from the bathroomn door.
The restaurant area is big and staff were quick to clear plates and clean tables efficiently. They were also very friendly. We were very dissapointed with the food choice. There was a lot of food on offer but nearly everything including a lot of salad options was drowned in mayonnaise. I actually enjoy mayonnaise but not on everything. It was very hard to find a healthy option available. On the second night my parner and I ate the same foods with the exception of a rice dish on the chilled counter with mussels, prawns and squid that I ate alone. A few hours later I experienced violent sickness throughout the night and upon reflection realised that it may not have been a wise decision to choose a cold dish which involved seafood. This ruined the day after for me as I was exhausted and drained.
A few days later my partner (a qualified chef) chose a fish dish in sauce. After taking a bite he grimaced and upon smelling the fish we were horrified that it had a very strong smell of ammonia / bleach. This was so strong that it gave you what can only be described as a bad headrush when smelling it. My partner had to make himself sick after eating a bite rather than risk being ill as I had been as this fish was clearly very off.
We ended up eating out a couple of times even though we were all inclusive as these experiences had completely put us off. Other than that we stuck to chips and bread rolls in the restaurant which was not our favourite choice.
The pool at the hotel was lovely. It was a bit cold but that was due to the time of year. There was an adults only side which was great but some families that had been allocated apartments on that side of the pool were playing there with their children in the pool and on the sun loungers being particularly noisy. This was a shame as the signs said adults only clearly but in their defence they had been allocated a room by the pool on that side so who could blame them. A few other adults did comment that they were unhappy with this as they wanted peace to read their books and relax.
There are a few bars at the hotel. These are well stocked with a good choice of beverages. We were again dissapointed though and this time by the adults only bar. The First choice booklet and the Aliathon welcome folder located in each room stated that this bar closed at 01.30am when infact the barmaid in the adults only bar had no qualms in abruptly telling holiday makers that it closes at 12.00. If this is the case then the literature needs amending as it is incorrect and misleading to guests.
The gym facilities are very nice and there is an indoor pool with jacuzzi and spa. The dissapointing part of this was that we had arranged our day incorporating a gym visit as the English gentleman at the gym had advised us that it was open until 8pm on good Friday (I approached him that morning to ask). We planned our day around this and arrived at the gym at 4pm to be told by the lady at the spa that it has been closed at 3pm - frustrating! Then when we rang the reception to find out the official Easter opening hours they couldnt confirm this and were very vague so we assumed that the gym was run independently. This again was not helpful for us as guests as we were planning our day with a view to doing some excercise. Other guests also commented to us that the lack of clarity about the gym opening hours were unclrear and an inconvenience.
Overall we were happy with the room decor and facilities inside, hotel location, pool but the food, lack of information and vagueness about the gym spoilt our holiday as our own personal requirements and reasons for booking this hotel were not met.
Having said this, if you have children then I would recommend this as the kids club and facilities are excellent. On a final note please be aware that the walls are very thin in the rooms and if you are a light sleeper and want peace and quiet then I would not stay here as you can hear everthing that nextdoor and below are doing which can wake you frequently during the night. The bus service into Paphos is great and it is easy to walk there taking approx 25 mins. Some improvements could make this hotel much more welcoming to adults only guests.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex355
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2011

We have just come back from a weeks stay at the Aliathon Holiday Village and wanted to write a review as I found it helped me reading what other's had wrote so I will pass on my wisdom!

We stayed in the Fishing Village part on an All Inclusive basis in a Deluxe 1 bed apartment. Firstly the food! My husband is a vegetarian and found the selection of food did not really cater for him, for the most part he just had chips and rolls as the vegetarian options were few and far between, there were salads available but not really his taste. Also the childrens selection was a bit limited, my children don't generally eat chips and chicken nuggets but it seemed that is what was offered everyday, or pasta! I found the food to be ok, the hardest part was trying to piece together a meal from the Buffet, it's not the worst food I've ever had but could do with some improving.

The childrens splash pool was very good, my children (who are nearly 3 and 4.5) had a great time in there, if you are taking children please make sure you get them some crocs or other type of sandal that can go in the water as it is VERY slippery, I don't know how many children (and adults)i saw that slipped over and banged their heads! Also the water is quite cold if the weather is not good, just something to bear in mind!

The evening entertainment is ok, I found that by the time we had eaten and gone up to the main area anything for the children had finished and Bingo had started! The reps do work very hard and are extremely friendly but it is a little budget. Also in the main room (which again can get cold at night) there are some slot machines that look like they are from the 60's and a lot of the little ones seemed to gather around them and sit there for hours on end! I thought it would of been better if they would of catered for the younger ones more (age 3-6) as the evening shows were more for the adults.

I don't think we would return here as I think it is a lot of money for what it is, my children did love it and made some wonderful friends but we could of paid a lot less somewhere else and had just as good a time!

berkshire
Reviewed 25 April 2011

After a visit here, booked through First Choice, in March 2010 it was fantastic to revisit this great holiday village. On arrival we were warmly welcomed by Emily on reception. To our surprise she actually recognized us from last year (as did a number of the staff and managers). As we had stayed here before, we did not worry about the "Welcome meeting" and just got on with it. We stayed again in a standard apartment in the Agean Village area. As mentioned last year, this is the older part of the resort and is gradually receiving a face lift with redecoration and new bathrooms. If you are looking for the quieter end of the resort, this seems to be it. The meals are still great and plentiful. The hotel staff are more than friendly and efficient, they treat you as family. Special thanks to Stravros (the girls want to adopt him as a surrogate uncle), Andreaus, Spiros, Demetra, Emily and Evgene.On the First Choice side, the whole team are new for this year. This does not detract however from their enthusiasm and efficiency. The girls used the kids clubs and swimming academy. We also took some time in the evenings for the entertainment programme (our only comment would be that the volume could be turned down a little so that you can make out what is being said or sung). Thanks mainly go to Rick and Phil from the swimming academy. Tasha and Nicole also made it a great holiday especially for my younger step daughter. Towards the end of our time here, even my wife did not want to come home! If you want a relaxing or active family holiday in the sun you must try this one!

1 Thank stevegilbe
fife
Reviewed 21 April 2011

stayed first week in April with a room in the aegean village and had a great holiday.The facilities are excellent,the children loved the splash pool and all the activities.Food was very good with a wide choice at every meal and if you didnt want to leave the pool you could make a decent lunch from the pool side snacks.It is set in a good area with easy access to a bus service.We went out and about easily at 2 euros for a day pass and no charge for the children.We also found that visiting places was also cheap as the children were free into most places and adult charges very low.We would certainly stay in a holiday village again and would consider a return trip to this one as there is still so much more to see on the island

1 Thank newhill
UK
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Good - all round, even when I suspected they'd cash in (like taking your wristbands off when you checked out but had a few hours before leaving, or charging for drinks on your free restaurant nights) they didn't. I honestly can't think of a bad thing in the way it's organised or run.

Very good - the kids splashpool (although kids do need grippy sandals or something because they inevitably run in and slip) and entertainment (not my cup of tea but I admired the enthusiasm)

Not so good - hmmm can't think of anything really. The food was about as good as you're going to get at a buffet, nice salads, good variety.... I put on a lot of weight. Ah, the internet - I needed to check emails on my phone but they have some silly token system, it was simpler going to a bar and using their wifi.

Would I go there again - well it's a kids place and our 2 year old was a bit young, so if it's still got good reviews in 5 years time then yes.

PS - I hate flying (or at least airports) so was very pleasantly surprised by going via Bournemouth - so much easier than Gatwick.

Room Tip: get bus to the market and walk back past catacombs