“Amazing staff, great food, accomdation could be better”

Aliathon Holiday Village
Ranked #26 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
manchester
“Amazing staff, great food, accomdation could be better”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed at the Aliathon Holiday Village from 2nd November for 7 nights. We were a little anxious before going for 2 reasons. Firstly how many children would be there as we travelled as a couple (we booked out of season to hopefully avoid most children but we knew there would be some but hoped that the adults bar and adults pool would ensure we had a bit of quiet time) and secondly with the hotel closing for the season 4 days after we left, would services start to dwindle. We had mixed expectations about the hotel. High expectations due to it being a first choice holiday village so we did expect things at a very good standard. However we got an amazing last minute deal to the hotel paying less than £500 per person. In this sense our expectations were lower as I am a big believer of you get what you pay for. On the whole there were a couple of disappointments but I feel we received excellent value for money given the price we paid and for this reason I have no reason to complain. However had we paid full price or booked the week prior (half term week which was over £1200 per person!) I would have been quite disappointed with the accommodation in particular which I will expand on later.

We flew with Thomson. I have to say probably the best cabin crew we have ever encountered, even better than several long haul Thomson crews! We did not have a rep on the coach transfer and it took about 30 minutes to reach the hotel. A check in pack was given to us on the coach so we only had to complete the registration form and get our wrist bands. It was chaos outside reception with arrivals and departures everywhere so we just took our cases to our room as I think we would have been waiting a long time had we waited for a buggy.

The room was a disappointment in terms of cleanliness. We had a deluxe 1 bedroom apartment in the fishing village and were allocated room 1253. The size and amenities were absolutely great. However I have to say that in over 20 holidays this has to be the dirtiest room we have ever had. There were several long brown hairs all over the apartment. My husband threw a bog hair clump outside that was on the floor. The floors were dirty as was seen on the bottoms of our feet after unpacking. The furniture looks ‘rustic’ but in my opinion just looks battered. There were several black areas on the floors in corners that had probably developed over time through lack of adequate cleaning. Throughout the week we never smelt evidence of any cleaning products. The toilet didn’t smell great right from day one. I dread to think what the standard apartments are like. Perhaps some will think our expectations were too high but I don’t expect hairs all over the floor in a 4 star room. In fact, I wouldn’t expect this in a 2 star room. Luckily this is the extent of any problems or disappointments we had. The other gripe about the room was that the walls were quite thin and the neighbours next door were quite rude in that they would rearrange the furniture by dragging it along the floor last thing at night and first thing in the morning. This should just be common courtesy from other guests but unfortunately not everyone has the consideration of their neighbours.

The buffet in the evening had themes each night although unfortunately the curse of the end of season meant that half way through the holiday we did not have any themes, it appeared to be whatever they had a lot to get rid of. This was a shame because the hotel advertises theme nights but we only saw 3 of them. The variety of food also reduced over the week which was a shame. By the end of our stay there were at approximately half a dozen warmers that were not being used that at the start of the holiday had different foods in them. The quality was always excellent although sometimes the food was just warm and not hot. There was a wonderful gammon joint for carvery night, always one item being cooked fresh and there was a children’s corner with chips, pizza, pasta etc every night too. The deserts were ok but nothing to write home about. Breakfast was excellent, choices of full English, continental, cereal, fruit, toast etc. The breakfast quality was great too. We didn’t eat lunch in the main buffet. The drinks are all self-service soft drinks, juice, tea, coffee, beer and wine. The staff were lovely and tables were cleared and cleaned quickly.

The lunch buffet at the pool was ok. It was pretty much the same each day (apart from half way through the holiday when some of the choices disappeared). Chips, bruschetta’s, burger, hot dog, chicken nuggets, crab claws, salad, sandwich wraps. The quality here was just ok and sometimes the food would be left out for a while before being replaced meaning it didn’t taste very fresh. For a 4 star hotel I would have liked to have seen somewhere to have lunch cooked fresh. I can’t think of any hotel I have stayed at where everything has been buffet’s and that includes 3 star hotels too. That said, overall I would say the food is very good and the buffet style lends itself well to families whose children may want easy access to snacks during the day. We never had a bad meal and never encountered any problems with staff or cleanliness.

You got a voucher for a free meal in the Greek restaurant and the Mexican restaurant. We only ate in the Mexican as we are not really fans of Greek food (the restaurant looked lovely though). The Mexican was nothing special but nice for a change. We also received a voucher for 20EURO which we could use at a couple of the other restaurants at the plaza. Unfortunately we were not told that we had to pre-book so we just turned up at the Italian. Luckily the manager was happy to allow us to use the voucher. The meal here was absolutely fantastic! It is on the pricey side compared to restaurants in Paphos but the 20EURO voucher helped in that sense. My husband had the fillet steak and he said it was fantastic. The restaurant is lovely and the waiters were very professional and friendly. I would really recommend this restaurant.

We enjoyed a full body massage at the spa which was 50EURO for 1 hour. The therapist was brilliant and the spa was lovely. There was also a great steam room but unfortunately the sauna was broken throughout the entire stay and we never saw anyone working on it to fix it. The indoor pool is lovely too and heated. Should be adults only but they do have the swimming lessons in there so you may need to choose your time carefully.

The adults bar was fantastic. A huge shout out to Marina who singlehandedly ran that bar so efficiently! Some evenings it was so busy but she worked so hard ensuring that everyone had plenty drinks. I really can’t praise her enough for how hard she worked. The all-inclusive drinks menu was ok. All local spirits, half a dozen cocktails, 2 non-alcoholic cocktails, beer, wine and soft drinks. It was also nice to see ouzo on the menu too!

We didn’t take part in any of the day or evening entertainment as we just wanted a relaxing week but there were plenty of things going on and those taking part appeared to be enjoying it. All of the first choice team were really lovely.

We didn’t do any trips but we hired a car for 4 days with easy rent a car. George and Kula were fantastic and picked us up at Aliathon at our arranged time. Completing the paperwork took 10 minutes and we were on our way. The car was fairly new and nice to drive. The hire was only £10 per day (possibly due to being out of season). I can’t recommend this company enough!

I really should mention about the reception staff. The staff here at Aliathon were so friendly, polite and helpful. When we were putting our cases into the luggage room after checking out, the lady on reception (I didn’t get her name but she had long blonde hair) asked if I wanted to put my trolly dolly in. I explained that I was keeping it with me as it had valuables in (passports etc) and she offered to keep hold of it in at the back of reception for me! I can’t fault the reception staff in any way at all. If you want the safe, it is 3EURO a day and you arrange this with reception. Wi-Fi is also available throughout the resort (although the strength of it is terrible and it was impossible for us to use FaceTime to contact home). You need to ask reception and they will give you a ticket with a username and password that is valid for 3 devices.

Overall we had a lovely holiday. I would highly recommend the Aliathon to others who don’t have children but only out of season. If you have children then it’s a great place to go at any time because the first choice staff are fantastic and there is so much going on for children of all ages. If you want a ‘couples’ week I personally would stay clear during the school holidays. I would also come at this time of year again despite there being issues with food choice but only if I got a good deal. We booked a fairly late deal (approx. 9 weeks prior) and got a fantastic price with there being over £300 per person off the full price. I don’t think the quality of accommodation matches the high brochure prices for this hotel so I would have been disappointed had I paid over £800 per person for a week which is the full price for the week we travelled. Especially in comparison with other hotels that are in this price bracket. Perhaps we just got a bad room but if the room wasn’t up to their usual standard we should have been allocated a different one. After all of the hotel was at very low occupancy. On the whole the staff we encountered here (other than housekeeping) are the best we have seen anywhere in the world. They were all consistently polite, helpful, professional and friendly and I cannot fault any single person in any way at all. Thank you for a lovely holiday!

Room Tip: The fishing village is lovely. In a 1 bed apt you can sunbathe on the balcony in the fishing villag...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank emma68
AliathonPafos_Cyprus, Director of Sales at Aliathon Holiday Village, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Emma,

We thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review about your holiday experience here at the Aliathon Holiday Village.

We are so honoured to read the kind feedback about our staff here, please be assured we will pass all of your great comments onto the team in order for praise to be given and to motivate them to keep moving forward.

It is with great pleasure to read that you never had a bad meal here and that the show food provided was great especially the gammon! Concerning the idea for an ala carte lunch restaurant for our adult guests we thank you for this feedback. We are always open for ideas to improve and this is a very good idea to discuss for any future changes so thank you once again.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our Mare Monti Italian restaurant so much and thank you for recommending it so highly. It is also great that the spa and adults bar was a hit for you both during your stay.

Concerning the cleanliness of your accommodation, we are saddened to read that it did not meet your expectations. It is our aim to ensure that all of our accommodation and communal areas are of the highest standard of cleanliness in order to meet al of our guest’s standards and comforts.

We check all of our guests rooms prior to their arrival to ensure they are cleaned and ready for the guest’s arrival so it is with great surprise to read that your room was not. Did you report this issue during your stay? As had we have known in resort that you were unhappy of course we would have offered you a room change as per your request and insured that the room was cleaned to the highest of standards. Please be assured we will discuss this feedback with the relevant department in order to prevent any issues reoccurring.

We are very happy that this did not prevent you from having a wonderful stay at our Aliathon Holiday Village and we really do hope to welcome you both back in the future for another great holiday experience.

prm@aliathonvillage.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Camberley
Reviewed 15 November 2013

This was a break away for my mum & I to spend much needed time together. We were not disappointed. The whole experience from start to finish was excellent. Our room was in the fishing village, the whole complex very clean and tidy. Room cleaned with clean towels every day. The temperatures was just right during the day, and not at all chilly in the evening. We enjoyed a visit to the harbour and took the bus to the old town & Coral Bay We got a day ticket for 5 euro and we could use the local buses as much as we wanted from 9am -10pm.Very good value.
The food was excellent, with so much choice that we never got bored. drinks were fine for what we wanted. Seeing as we were in the final week of the season, the standard was excellent.
We ate in the Mexican and Greek restaurant, which to was lovely.
There were many places we could sit by the pool (towels provided) we never had to fight for a sunbed!
However after having a tumble, and injuring my leg. I was immediately looked after by Lee and Richard Jones & the other staff who ensured that if we needed any more assistance, to let them know. This was followed up by Rachel the First Choice Rep, and Georgie in Guest relations to check that I was ok. We really appreciated the concern of the holiday team.
We enjoyed what we saw of the entertainment, and the team did well considering numbers were not as high, as we got to the end of the season. They certainly made us laugh, especially Lee!
We both had a treatment in the spa, which was very nice. However the indoor pool & Jacuzzi was not massively warm, which was a shame.
We were very happy with the whole experience and would certainly recommend First Choice and the Aliathon Holiday Village, and would return in the future sometime.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the fishing village.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank CamberleyShazza
AliathonPafos_Cyprus, Director of Sales at Aliathon Holiday Village, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear CamberleyShazza,

We are so pleased that you and your mum had a fantastic stay here with us at the Aliathon Holiday Village! It is brilliant to read how the cleanliness, food and staff were of the highest standard for you and that every aspect of your holiday met your expectations.

We thank you so much for your kind review and we hope to welcome you back to our Holiday Village Aliathon in the future for another brilliant holiday experience!

Please feel free to email any special requests you may have and be assured we will do our upmost best to fulfil them.

Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

This place exceeded my expectations. The whole place is clean,tidy. Rooms, restaurant, pools. Welcomed by the rep off the coach, golf buggy ride to your room, porter taking suitcases. Staff really polite and friendly. Food was good. Indoor pool was very good. Pitty the sauna was out of order though. But still the steam room was open. It made my pregnant girl friend feel pampered anyhow. Room cleaned daily except sundays but then the cleaners need a rest like we all do. I can live with that. The entertainment facility at night was loud but you cant hear it in the fishing village leading to a decent nights sleep. And to top it off when we left on the 13/11/13, the kind girl on reception handed us a box of cyprus delights and a fridge magnet, really nice touch. I will definatly stay here again next year with our new born baby. Stunning location also, close to beach, shops are a fair distance away but we had a car hired for five days so no probs. Buses run every ten mins or so from the main road at the front. Thank you aliathon village staff and hotel. You were great. Totally recommend you. 10/10

Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Bradandfiona
AliathonPafos_Cyprus, Director of Sales at Aliathon Holiday Village, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Dear Brad & Fiona,

We can not thank you enough for your kind review, we are so happy that you had a fantastic stay with us and that you rate us ten out ten!

It is great to read that you found all of our facilities very good, our staff friendly and polite and that overall you had a relaxing and enjoyable experience at our Holiday Village Aliathon.

We are so pleased that you will be recommending our holiday village to your friends and family and that you will be returning to stay with us.

Please feel free to email any special requests you may have prior to your next arrival and be assured we will do our upmost best to fulfil them. Thank you once again for taking the time to write this review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Could not fault the accommodation. Rooms in the fishing village are spacious with large balcony. Swimming pools are fantastic especially the beach area which, due to the sloping entrance, was perfect for small children. Food was fantastic - plenty of choice for everyone. The only disappointing part of the holiday was the First Choice entertainment team. With a few exceptions the day team was lacking in any enthusiasm and a couple talked quite openly how they were counting the days to go home. We attended the early evening entertainment which was geared to children but unfortunately the entertainers did not seem interested in the children and seemed to be more interested in private jokes between themselves. This was disappointing but did not spoil our overall holiday.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Cat,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review on our trip advisor page and for choosing to stay at our Holiday Village Aliathon for your vacation this year.

We are so honoured to read you describe our holiday village as faultless! It is fantastic that your room was spacious, that our swimming pools are perfect for children and that the food choice meets everybody’s tastes.

Concerning the entertainment team we are saddened to read that you were slightly disappointed in this aspect of your holiday, please be assured we will pass all of your feedback onto the relevant management to discuss.

We are so pleased that overall you had an excellent holiday at our Holiday Village Aliathon and we hope to welcome your family back in the near future for another great experience!

Warwickshire
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Just waiting for our bus back to the airport and sad to be leaving the aliathon after a fantastic week. It's the last week of the season here, which those who have older kids or want buzzing action-packed non-stop noisy fun may find disappointing but for us with a 2.5yr old and a 10 month old it was perfect - ie. hot but not scorching, quiet around the pool and in the dining room and complete silence at night!!
Our first impressions were wow, this feels posh! and what a fantastic welcome - rep waiting to meet us off the bus and a buggy service to our door.
Could say a lot of the same as most reviewers but instead will give you the best bits in the opinion of my two and a half yr old... 1. Pirate ship pool 2. Dancing with I5 live (and the other six or so families of toddlers that we made friends with) 3. The motorbikes in the arcades (a little annoying for parents however as the kids would run round to the arcades out of sight of the main entertainment!) 4. Mickey mouse juice!! Or superman juice!! In large quantities!!! 5. The ladies - in the crèche (which both my kids loved going to, but mostly they loved the staff!) but also in the restaurant, reception, reps, ents, cleaners... All of whom fussed over the children and seemed genuinely interested in them - thank you 6. The cats!! A little annoying to us but toddlers love them and the cats didn't seem to mind being terrorised by a two year old chasing them with a stick shouting "COME BACK TABBY CAT" at the top of his voice.
One more thing to mention is that we unfortunately had to visit the local hospital with our accident prone little boy. Georgie on reception was absolutely brilliant with us and the care at the hospital (5 mins taxi ride away) was second to none. In, X-ray, consultant, injury assessed, cleaned, glued, taped up, antibiotics, forms, £150 insurance excess (ouch!) and back to the hotel within the hour. Amazing!
A fantastic recipe for a family holiday with pre-schoolers and we are already looking at maybe booking the Majorca holiday village in May. Just hope it's as good as this!!

Room Tip: Suggest ground floor fishing village away from entertainment hall if you have little ones. 1135 was...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank L0zzyP
Dear L0zzyP,

We thank you so much for your wonderful review about your family’s holiday experience at our Holiday Village Aliathon and for taking some time during the last moments of your holiday to write this review on our trip advisor page.

It is brilliant to read your children’s review of their holiday and all of their favourite experiences, we are so happy that everything was thoroughly enjoyed by you all and that all of the staff were friendly during your holiday with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome your family back in the future for another wonderful holiday. Please feel free to email any special requests you may have prior to your next arrival and be assured we will do our upmost best to fulfil them.

Norfolk, England
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We went here on our first holiday with our 1 year old little girl. We particularly chose a holiday village as we thought it would cater for all our child's needs - and it did. We e mailed before we went to request a room with a bath and to make sure the cot was in the room and both of these were followed up.
The restaurant was fab. There were loads of high chairs at meal times and they were always clean There was so much food to choose from and my little girl who had just started eating 'adult' food had a whale of a time enjoying all the freshly prepared hot and cold food. There was a children's buffet which looked lovely but all the adult food was perfect for her too. None of us were ever hungry and in between meals there was ice cream and a snack bar.
We had a one bedroom superior apartment which was great for our needs as it gave us a bit more space and we could put our daughter to sleep in the bedroom whilst we sat in the lounge area, definitely worth upgrading. We had a couple of problems with ants, but I usually expect that in hot countries and both times they were dealt with quickly. We also had to request a rubber bath mat as the bath was really slippery.
We stayed in the Aegean village which seemed much quieter than the fishing village and meant we did have to walk to the splash pool but I preferred to be away from the hustle and bustle and our apartment was right next to a quieter pool which we enjoyed more. The only thing I would say about our room location (601) was it was at the back of the pub and restaurants on the main road so was quite noisy at night.
The other issue which is not the hotel's fault was that due to the time of year we went (end of Oct) the pool was cold and my daughter did not appreciate it! But the air temperature was great (26c everyday) so it was not too hot.
The entertainment looked great and was very child orientated but we didn't make the most of it as our daughter was too young to enjoy it.
Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone with children who want an easy holiday with no worries about their children getting bored or hungry!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank BusyBee1980
AliathonPafos_Cyprus, Director of Sales at Aliathon Holiday Village, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Busybee,

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review on our trip advisor page and for choosing to stay with us for your first family holiday!

We are so pleased that your family enjoyed their stay with us and that everybody was entertained and full up from our wonderful food.

We thank you once again for your brilliant review about your stay here with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future for another great stay at our Aliathon Holiday Village.

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

well back from a great week at the Aliathon . the staff were very nice . always looking happy especially in the restaurant and the small outside pool bar. the food was excellant , well cooked and plenty of choice .basic all inclusive drinks but like most all inclusives . the place is clean tidy and well maintained . we dont have kids but the facilities for children was very good even at the end of the holiday year . we emailed the hotel direct before going , asking for an upstairs room with firm matressess . and we got it . so THANKYOU to the reservations . as we went lateon in the year i cant say what it would be like when very busy , but there are loads of space and places to relax so shud be ok .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank john5363
Dear John,

Thank you for this great review on our trip advisor page and for choosing to stay at our Holiday Village Aliathon for your November vacation.

We are very pleased that everything met your expectations during your stay and that all of your requests prior to arrival were met.

It is great to read that the staff were friendly and the food was excellent for you both! We hope to welcome you back to the Aliathon Holiday Village in the near future. Please feel to free to email any special requests you may have prior to your next arrival and be assured we will do our best to fulfil them.