“Fun for little kids ”

Aliathon Holiday Village
Ranked #27 of 86 Hotels in Paphos
“Fun for little kids ”
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

My wife, son and I came here in July 14. It was good fun every day playing in the pool and the staff were very nice to my son at all times (he is 1). There are some lovely pools and a splash pool for the really little kids.

We were all inclusive and the buffet doesn't have a lot of choice however the other restaurants are good but you can only go a few times each week.

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Livingston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed here end of June beginning of July. Initially I was a bit overwhelmed by the size of the place, however soon found where everything was! We were staying in the Aegean Village. This was a perfect loaction as the pool was quieter and there were plenty of sunbeds. It was only a couple minutes walk to the Fishing Village if you wanted to take part in any activities. I do think it would have been good if the First Choice reps made it down to the Aegean Village, even just to sing 'Chocolate' as there is a lot of kids at this pool too. I also think it would be good if there was a snack bar closer to this pool.
All staff were friendly and helpful in particular Alex from the bar at the Aegean Village. He goes above and beyond the call of duty to help customers and is always happy!
The adult entertainment could be better. This is not a reflection on the staff who work tirelessly, however I do think when you are paying a lot of money for a holiday, there could be professional acts in even once or twice a week.
I would recommend this hotel and will definetely be returning!

7 Thank Angie M
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Apologies in advance for this quite lengthy review, but if like me you soak up every detail of the reviews before going anywhere then I hope you find this useful.

This is a fabulous place for a family holiday. All of the first Choice Holiday Villages are great for family holidays, but the Aliathon just makes the holiday village experience that bit more special.
We travelled as a couple with our 6 year old daughter and stayed from 23rd June - 6th July. I really cannot fault this place - everything from check in to check out was just fab. We stayed in a standard room in Block 10 in the Aegean side of the complex - less than a minute from reception. Although all of the day time activities and action takes place in the fishing village, the Aegean side is just as nice. It's beautifully maintained and a bit quieter than the Fishing village, which may appeal more to some and it's really not far to walk between the two. The main restaurant and evening entertainment venue is located between the two so they are centrally located.

We arrived after the main reastaurant had shut, and as others have commented upon we had water, sandwiches & crackers left in the fridge - which I thought was a nice touch. The water is a one-off and is not replenished, but you can stock up at the nearby supermarket or just fill your bottles from the on-site water dispensers (the one near the lighthouse snack bar is the best one to do this).

I was very pleased with our room - it was spacious, very clean with plenty of storage space for the 3 of us and had a large balcony. As others have said you do have to pay for the safe - which is perhaps the only criticism I would have since this is free in other AI places we have stayed in. However the 40 euro (charge for two weeks) is worth it for the piece of mind. We didn't really get a good wi-fi connection in our room, but a short walk to reception gave us excellent connection. We also got good connection in the restaurant / entertainment area. Don't know what it's like elsewhere as I never tried it. Air-con was great and very much appreciated as the temperature hit 40 degrees whilst we were there!

Everywhere is spotless and maintained to a very high standard. The gardens and shrubbery are very well kept. All the staff are very welcoming and friendly - and that includes everyone from the reception staff to the maintenance / cleaning staff.

There are quite a few cats roaming around the complex, but we were not bothered by this and I never saw them in any indoor areas.

The food at the Aliathon is fantastic and I'm very surprised at some negative comments about this. The choice and quality is just excellent and if you're not a fussy eater you will be spoilt for choice. I managed to eat something different every day for the whole two weeks. Some of the choices may be not what you'd put together in a dish and may seem a little odd, but there's lots to go at. You do seat yourself in the main reastaurant and drinks are self-service, but to be honest I prefer that. At times it's busy with children running about - but that's no different to other AI restaurants and really it's the parents who should keep their children under control. The beer is Keo, which is perfectly drinkable. I enjoyed the white wine - when it was served properly chilled. Sometimes the wine served in the entertainment venue on a night was a little warm, which wasn't as nice. The cocktail menu is limited. I'm not really a cocktail person as I find most of them quite sweet - but I did become rather fond of the brandy sour.
The food on offer in the lighthouse snack bar is the same everyday, although they do have a BBQ a couple of times a week. If you used the snack bar every day then you would find the food repetitive, but it's nice for an occasional visit and offers a good selection.
Ice cream is available all day long which my daughter really liked, since it's only been available at limited times at other places we've stayed.
We didn't go to any of the a la carte restaurants, but I heard lots of good things about them - especially the Greek.

All of the swimming pools are very clean and well maintained. The splash pool is the main attraction for kids (and some adults!) - this is just great with a selection of slides, sprays and a pirate boat. The water is shallow enough to allow small children to play safely. The main pool with it's beach effect entry was my favourite though. The shallow water is perfect for wallowing about in! There is an 'adult' pool, which is quieter but not actually restricted to adults. It's good for 'proper' swimming though.
We did have a couple of 'code brown' incidents which resulted in the main pool being closed. You can not blame the hotel for this though - it's the parents, and the hotel has to act accordingly to clean it up. One day the splash pool was closed as something suspicious was found in it - it turned out to be chunks of chocolate cake, and the pool soon reopened!

You do have to reserve sun beds early if you want to be round the splash pool or main pool - and by early I mean before 7.30! This is a bit irritating and perhaps the hotel could enforce a stricter policy regarding this, but until they do you just have to get there early. Fortunately my partner is an early riser! If you're not bothered where you have your sunbeds then you shouldn't have any problem getting beds round the quieter pools later in the morning.

There's no real need to take pool towels since you can exchange your towel cards for pool towels and save space in your suitcase. Towels can be exchanged for clean ones at reception or at the spa - although they don't appear to have as many towels at the spa.
I didn't use the spa or gym, but my partner used the gym and was pleased with the equipment and set up. It's nicely air-conditioned too.

The First Choice staff are brilliant and a real credit to First Choice. They work non-stop and the energy & enthusiasm they exhibit, even in the blistering heat is commendable.
They will try and get you involved in activities, but are not overly pushy about this. The evening entertainment is primarily provided by the First Choice staff and as all round entertainers you can not fault them. The entertainment may be not to everyone's taste but they work hard at putting on a variety of shows. You just have to go with it, sit back and enjoy it. Some of the game shows they do is actually pretty funny. i five live is aimed at the kids and they love it, and when the kids are happy the parents are happy!

Some of the previous reviews mentioned a problem with the acoustics in the entertainment venue - I personally didn't think there was a problem with this, so I'm not sure if it's been fixed or if we were just sat in the right place.
The arcade games can be a bit of a distraction, but we didn't have a problem with them being there. It's all a bit of fun for the kids and we limited our daughter to 5€ a night and she was happy with that.

The kids club offers a variety of activities with a very secure sign in / sign out process. My daughter went to one session a day of her own choosing and really enjoyed it taking part in activities like canoeing, circus games and rafting to name a few. Kids can go to as many or as few sessions as they please since there are several sessions each day.

The nearest beach is a few minutes walk away, but it is a small pebbly beach and is mostly taken up by guests from the Louis Ledra hotel which directly faces it. It's pretty and worth a visit though. The coastal pathway leading to the harbour is beautiful but at a leisurely pace it's a good 40 minute walk, which would be too much for young children especially in the searing heat. However there is plenty of rest stops along the way and beach side bars to stop off at.

If you want late check out then do request this early rather than leaving it until the last minute - reception do confirm the day before if it's available. We paid 50€ for late checkout at 6p.m, which was worth it. Not sure if this would be more expensive for the deluxe rooms.

All in all we had a fabulous time and I would not not hesitate in recommending this hotel to families. I'm sure couples travelling without children would have a fab time too - just bear in mind it's family orientated complex and kids are in abundance!!

I wish I was back there now!!

8 Thank little-angie12
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed at the aliathon in June and can honestly say the staff are some of the most hard working i have met, Georgie and sue we're amazing and sorted everything for my wedding ,staff in the Italians who put themselves out on our wedding night meal, Alex at lagoon bar always a smile, cleaners for teaching me some extra Greek and the entertainment team especially miles, Charlotte, Andrew and Alice .
Rooms on Aegean side are basic but coming to Greece regular I did not have an issue, air on good, cleaners in every day and close to the beautiful lagoon pool. Ground floor room we did hear some noise from above but nothing that stopped our kids sleeping so happy days. Lagoon pool does not have a snackbar so you do have to walk to fishing village side but we are an easy going family so it did not cause us a problem.
We never went hungry , a lot of choice but again I'm sure if we had any issues staff would have been more than happy to help.
We did have a day when the whole pool on fishing village side was closed due to irresponsible parents think it is ok to leave small children without swimming nappies on ........ Vile I would honestly fine them.
Fishing village has the largest pool which all the activities are based around so it is busy but good laugh if you get involved, my daughter who is 15 liked the high ropes but struggled on a nighttime as it was i5live more for younger kids but my 5 year old loved it, as a family we all got involved dancing to the chocolate etc don't understand these families who don't join in as I can imagine it would be boring just sitting !!!
All in all staff made this for me going above and beyond x

4 Thank claire S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It was lovely to be away from the London smog and rains for a week. We still dream at night about the Coral Bay Beach ...But I am afraid that is where our excitment ends!
We booked as a last minute deal one week holiday at Aliathon trough Firstchoice( we usually go trough Thomson ) and we chose this resort because:
-it had a 4.5 rating on tripadvisor( this is very important to us when chosing somewhere to go)
-was advertised on Firstchoice as a 4* Holiday village
-the flights were at sociable hours, close to home, and we were not in the position of paying another fee to keep the room till departure time in case of late filght
-it was close to the beach
-the resort looked nice from the pics, like a traditional greek little village and had a range of activities advertised as suitable for young adults as well( archery, aquafit, gym, spa etc.)
Paid 1100 for 7 days stay, with convenient flights from Stansted and travelled as a couple , 2-9th of July.
I will start with the negatives as in this instance outweights the positives:
1. Rooms. We had booked one bed apartment and we were housed in the Aegean village( it does not tell you this when booking trough Firstchoice) near the reception. The apartment was on upper floor( as requested) , it was spacious but it rather looked like a hospital ward with room prepared for palliative care !!! and not for a young couple feeling broody! They really need to inject some colour into the rooms and make it more fun and welcoming.
There is a safe in the room( probably from an archaic period- did they find it in the Archeological park in Paphos?) but you have to fork out 3 euros a day. I am surprised that an AI resort does not provide a safe free of charge .
2. Food. Very sensitive issue! As other reviewers said, you could not go hungry. But then again this is not what you would like to say about a 4 * hotel. Compared to the other AI in the Canaries where we stayed, the food at Aliathon was of very poor quality. Very poor choice of fish and seafood non-existant ( I was really looking forward for a hearthy mediteranean diet) . Fish undercooked on 2 occasions. Meat same, undercooked on 3 occasions . Food extremely salty and this made our hands and feet swell on 2 consecutive days( too much salt will lead to water retention in the body). They really need to sort out the amount of salt that goes into the food, specially on that hot weather , otherwise I can predict some of their guest will begin to complain of chest pain .
Overall, good choice at breakfast, very good desserts , but poor choice and quality of meats, fish, fruits.
Please, do not bother with the restaurant vouchers they hand out to you unless you want to be treated as second class citizen . We were looking forward for the PocoLoco mexican restaurant and on that evening we did go to bed hungry. So after all you could go hungry in this resort! The meal was the worst we had,probably cooked 3 days in advance . We did pay extra for a jug of sangria( wich according to the waiter came from a carton). We had to beg for napkins and left the table after the first mouthfull of an extremely sweet desert . I had an upset stomach all night !
3. Drinks. The drinks were the worst we had at an AI. Wine on tap served in main restaurant(Pantheon restaurant) was...well, undrinkable( I was really hoping for some quality natural, cypriot wine). The choice of cocktails was ...non existant. Juices served were very sweet , probably the cheapest quality . I would suggest they try to do some fresh juices and smoothies, atleast at breakfast time. We ended up drinking only soda water and Keo beer (wich is part of AI and drinkable)
4.The activities and entertainment. This was as well a big let down. My husband was not at all impressed with the archery at Aliathon( he loved it back in Fuerteventura, at another Thomson resort).The aquafit , led by a firstchoice instructor, was a big let down for me. The evening entertainment ...are they having a laugh? They really need to sort this out . Ditch those quizzes and bring in some quality acts ! I am sure that Cyprus has got a lovely culture, make use of it .
5. The rocky beach nearby is not the best beach in the world, the water a bit dirty and the little stretch of sand well, too little.
6.Staff serving drinks at the Faros pool bar were extremely unpleasant and acting as if they really did not want to be there!
7. Wifi is free but the signal was ok only in the Pantheon restaurant and by the Faros pool.

Now, to balance things a bit, the positives:
1. The fishing village looks very pretty, more like a little greek village than a hotel and we did enjoy the time by the Faros pool -however we did struggle at times to find free loungers . All areas are well kept and clean, including our room !
2. The staff at reception were helpful and did go the extra mile to tell me more about the area and did try to solve a problem I had with our room. Also, the staff in the Pantheon restaurant work very hard and as such we never struggled to find a clean table . Also a big thanks to Paul in the adults bar who on 2 occasions did go the extra mile to make our AI coktails look and taste so much better!
3. We loved the cypriot night in the Pantheon restaurant. The live band and dancers were amazing and firstchoice staff should take note of how the entertainment should look like!
4.We did notice that families with young children are well looked after and children could partake in a wide range of activities. As such I would not hesitate to recomend this village to families with young children...keeping in mind though that food is of average quality.
5. The gym in the faros spa is well equipped and we did use once the indoor pool and jacuzzi as a great massage after a long day in the sun.
6.The evening meal in the Aegean restaurant was of better quality, they had a good meze selection and our meats were better prepared. Also staff very helpful, so much that I erased from my memory that the table was very dusty and the drinks for AI guests are non existant after 10 pm.

Outside of the resort:
1. We loved the 2 days spent at Coral Bay beach, wich is about 1 hour by bus from hotel( including changing ). The beach and water is amazing and well worth the visit
2. Take a stroll to Paphos Harbour along the coast, on a lovely promenade , probably part of so many hotels . However avoid the midday sun as july was scorching. Once in Paphos, if you do love history, take the time to visit the Archeological Park and at 4.50 Euro a ticket is a steal.
3. We loved the San Antonio Water sports, just on the beach and a 2 minutes walk from hotel. My husband had a go at parasailing and we can not recommend them enough! 40 euros for a ride with myself in the boat taking pictures.

All in all was a nice adventure but will not return nor recommend it to couples or families with teenagers as there is not much to do in the resort for us and the quality of food and drinks is a big let down.
Also, one thing to note that did make our holiday bit more bitter: This part of Cyprus is in a terrible mess. Drive trough the town or take the bus towards coral bay and you will know what I mean. The prices in the Paphos airport are from another world, twice more expensive than in Boots or Waitrose!

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost the Aegean rooms close to the reception and above the supermarket, but do get an u...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank rada35
england
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed at the Alaithon for a week at the end of June and had a fabulous week. This was in fact our honeymoon, however as we have a 3 year old we chose to stay here because of the facilities on offer for him. The major plus point for us was by far the kids clubs. The staff were phenomenal, always remembered names and treated the kids like they have known them forever. It was fort knocks to get them in and out so this gave us peace of mind and each time we collected him he had a painting, drawing or face painted! We paid the extra for a few evening groups which were great and also enrolled him in the swimming academy with Hannah and Dieter. Both of the instructors were great and definitely money well spent.
Food was fantastic in the main restaurant and also in the al la carte restaurants. My only criticism of this would be the availability of these as we booked on our first day (Sunday) and could only secure the Greek at 9pm on Friday and the Mexican at 6.30pm the night we left. On both occasions we were the only people in these restaurants.
We stayed in the Aegean village in 308 which I think had the biggest balcony in the whole complex! Room was big, clean and on arrival we had wine, water, sandwiches and fruit! (think this is standard) And in fact whilst the fishing village is deemed more popular, the Aegean village is quiet, very close the entertainment etc in the evenings and has 2 great (quiet) pools which didn't require an early morning towel run unlike the main pools in the fishing village. In my opinion this is the best place to stay and also cheaper!
Other quick things to mention. Entertainment for kids – great. For adults not so much but what are you expecting? All staff were great and even retrieved our buggy from the airport which we forgot about! Oops!
My only disappointment came in the sense that this was our honeymoon as I mentioned, and whilst I'm not sure what I expected, nothing was done to acknowledge this at all. We stated this through the travel agents, I had emailed the hotel directly and we put it on the forms when we checked in. It would have been nice even for someone to congratulate us along the way. We met a lady who both her and her husband had celebrated birthdays there and had received cakes, card and special mentions so this was a little disappointing. Hey ho it didn't impact our holiday , just maybe a little feedback for the Aliathon to consider for the future. Anyone who books this place then enjoy, it is fab for families! I could go on, but I won’t…..

1 Thank joddaz
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We read reviews about Aliathon and booked this "luxury" 2 week stay here this time last year!! We should have read the negatives because they are all true!!! On arriving its huge and if you are unlucky enough to be put on the Aegeon Village then your out of everything as everything is in the Fishing Village!! Kids club pool bar and food kids pools its all quite a good walk and in that heat thats just not what you want especially when you have a 4 year old and a 19 month old??!!! After paying/ requesting over a year ago for the Fishing Village we were put in the Aegeon!!! The first night they put us on a 2nd floor apartment!!! With a baby in a pram and no lift??? Then we were moved to a ground floor. Although extremely spacious and the air con was amazing thats not what a holiday is about!! The restaurant is poorly run you enter the "underground" buffet area no one waiting to seat you theres cats everywhere waiting for scrapes of food off you. There isnt much selection and the food is luke warm bland and not much choice considering the size of the hotel. Also you cant get a drink after 10pm from anywhere by the Aegeon only in the main hall and definitely no food after this time anywhere!! I was told by one of the waitors that i could BUY?! chips and drinks from the supermarket??? We were on an ALL INCLUSIVE holiday?? Needless to say this is what we did as we had 2 small children and needed to provide something at anytime???? There was no atmosphere and I can honestly say I felt like we had rented an apartment on a self catering holiday than on a luxury all inclusive vacation?! I have no idea why this place has such great reviews to start its too big the food is dyer and the so called "entertainment" would be quality if it wasat Haven...its rubbish!!! On the positives the rooms are massive and air con is great....but thats it!! We spent 2 nights here and were lucky enough to be moved to the Louis Pheathon (check out my review) by the First Choice Rep who were fantastic and very supportive cant thank them enough as thats when our holiday really started. If your paying more than £3000.00 for this holiday look elsewhere there is much better hotels I can assure you!!! Or take a risk and posssibly be put in the Aegeon?!

Room Tip: The Fishing Village is the one but even still a room is not a hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Lindsay M
AliathonPafos_Cyprus, Guest Relations Manager at Aliathon Holiday Village, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Lindsay & Family,

Thank you for sparing some time to share your holiday experience on our trip advisor page and for your kind comments about how spacious your room was and how cold the air conditioning was during your stay.

We would like to assure you that feedback is of paramount importance to us therefore please allow us to clarify a few points of your review.

Firstly we would like to assure you that the comments and overall feedback we receive about both the Aegean and the Fishing Village is usually fantastic and fulfils each guests separate needs and expectations. We would like to kindly inform you that Aegean Village does have two pools each with a separate pool bar, plus a children’s section in the Aegean swimming pool. The Aegean Village is also in a prime location close to the reception area and to the Aliathon Plaza offering a range of bars, restaurants and shopping opportunities. We would also like to inform you that the last two years we have renovated the majority of the rooms in the Aegean Village and it is within our plans to continue these renovations/upgrades during the forthcoming winter period.

Further to the above, we would like to make you aware that the type of room you have booked (which was a Superior One Bedroom Apartment) is only available in the Aegean Village. We are sorry that you did not get the correct information prior to your arrival with regards to the location of your room; however, we would like to clarify that the location of rooms depends on the type of room our guests have booked. Please note that all rooms in the Fishing Village are classified as ‘Deluxe’ and therefore in order for our guests to be allocated in the Fishing Village, they need to book a Deluxe Room Type. For further information, please see the official website of our holiday village where it has clear descriptions of all room types.

We would also like to note that as soon as you have requested a room change into the Fishing Village, I had personally confirmed to you that as soon as any room will become available in this part of the resort, it will be offered to you straight away. At the same time, we did move you on the ground floor as per your request and we appreciated the fact that you acknowledged our efforts to help in any way possible.

Regarding your comments about the main restaurant, we can confirm that it is located on the ground floor with an outside terrace set under the trees and gardens of the village; we would like to assure you that cats are not permitted in the main restaurant and our staff is doing their best to control this. Due to the nature and the large open grounds of the village we cannot prevent cats from entering; however animal welfare are continuously coming to remove any cats around the village.

Please also note that the main buffet changes with a different theme daily along with food outside of the nightly theme to ensure that all of our guests tastes are fulfilled. We also offer a kids buffet with changes daily, two ala carte restaurants weekly (a Greek and a Mexican Restaurant) plus the added facility of two dine around restaurants (the Mare e Monti Italian Restaurant and The Mezedogonia Cyprus Taverna). Further to the above, our chefs are always more than willing to cook according to any specific dietary requirements our guests may have.

Lastly with regards to the drinks after 10:00pm, we would like to kindly inform you that unlike most all-inclusive resorts around the world, we go one step further by offering three all-inclusive bars in an evening plus three bars within the Aliathon Plaza were all our Aliathon guests are entitled to a 15% discount.

We would like to thank you once again for your feedback and we are saddened to hear that you changed hotels two days into your holiday preventing you from experiencing the true Aliathon Holiday. However, we do hope to welcome you back in the near future in order to have a fantastic experience at the Aliathon Holiday Village.

We remain at your complete disposal for anything you may need.

Georgina Squires