“great location hotel not good”

Corallia Beach Hotel Apartments
Ranked #53 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
cardiff
“great location hotel not good”
Reviewed 24 July 2009

hotel located on beautiful beach, pool area was amazing plenty of sunbeds around. Hotel was very clean, rooms were very basic, air conditioning sounded like it was going to explode and kitchen cupboards smelt disgusting. reception staff although poilte had no idea about anything it was like talking to a brick wall, they advertised a games room and entertainment which were in a totally different building that we didnt find out about until 2 days before we came home, the kids went down there at 8.30pm to play and it was closed up. the so called gym had seen better days Drinks and food were very expensive, and you weren't allowed to take your own food or drink to the pool area even if you bought it from the on-site shop, and paying 2.50 for 1 soft drink was a rip off. it was about 20 mins walk to coral bay strip which had a range of restaurants and shops, but our favourite restaurants was o'soloman's just outside the hotel they were very friendly food was great and quite reasonably priced. All in all great location cyprus is beautiful would definately go back there but never to the corallia beach hotel

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank catleighCardiff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Hertfordshire
Reviewed 23 July 2009

Having read many negative reviews for these apartments i was very worried. We arrived at 1.00 in the morning were handed our key from a slightly unfriendly receptionist who was neither English nor Cypriot so i suspect it was more a language problem than anything else. Our room was 04 and i couldnt have been more pleased. It was ground floor and didnt have a sea view but did have a large terrace and was quiet compared to most of the rooms that overlooked the pool. The room was large and very clean, the cleaners were respectful of privacy and didnt hammer on your door to get you out. All staff had a good sense of humour especially at the pool bar and the drinks were around the same price as any other bar in the area. The cocktails were terrible but shots were generous and for just 10 euros they offered a buffet style meal. I didnt try this myself but other guests said the standard was fantastic. The location is right on the Corallia beach, in my opinion better than Coral bay and is just about walking distance to the main coral bay bars, resturants and cafes although for just 1.50 euro you can take to number 15 bus from right outside the hotel as far as the harbour and waterpark until about 10.30 - 11.00 in the evening. We used the bus daily as it even stops outside the entrance to the Tomb of the Kings among other attractions. I was led to believe that the hotel was better suited to an older generation but i am just 28 and my husband is 35 and there were more people of our age than older and they did cater well for Children. The beach was especially safe for them with calm shallow water. My only critism would be the slipery floors my husband fell in our room and hurt his foot and we got talking to a man who had to go to hospital for stiches in his arm after slipping over on the ramp outside our room. Maybe im easily pleased compared to others who have reviewed this hotel but i had a great time staying there and would hope to return in 2010 with a group of friends. If you are after a location that is wild and full of lager louts this is not the place for you but there is so much to do in and around Paphos including jeep safaris, quad biking, the hire of speed boats and jet skis. You can even book a dinner cruise with fireworks.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 24 June 2009

We stayed at the Corallia on the 8th-15 June 2009. The main purpose of the visit was for a wedding at the Coral Bay Hotel next door. It was quite an expensive hotel so decided to stay at the Corallia instead. The hotel is about 30 minute taxi drive from Paphos airport, which was 50 euros. The hotel itself was okay. The rooms we big, airy & very clean. We had a room with a sea view which was lovely.

Although we had a great holiday there were quite a few downsides to the hotel. Firstly, the air conditioning seemed to play up, especially in the night. It seemed to be blowing out hot air. We reported this but nothing was done about it. A few of the other guests had the same problem. Secondly, on our second day Housekeeping did not provide any hand towels or bath mat. When we enquired at Reception we were told that there were none left which was annoying. Don’t expect any creature comforts here. The hotel doesn’t provide any toilettes or beach towels, so we had to go and buy some towels which were quite expensive due to the exchange rate. The beds were very uncomfortable, with rough sheets and flat pillows. A double bed consists of two single beds pushed together. Breakfast wasn’t that great too, not that much choice and also finishes very early at 9:30am. Again on our second day we arrived there at 9:40am & were told that we could not have anything as it had finished & were not willing to make an exception.

On the plus side, we had an amazing view of the beach and the poolside was very nice!

I would rate this hotel as a 2 star. I did find this hotel disappointing as I am paying money & expect a certain standard of service as I have been to many hotels around the world which provide a very good service, which the Corallia lacked. This hotel is very basic so don’t expect anything here. It is a real shame as it is situated in a nice location.

It is also worth hiring a car which we did. We were able to go to Lara “Turtle” Beach, Polis, Aphrodite’s Rock and other places as it is difficult to get by without one. The Coral Bay strip and about a 25 minute walk which isn’t too bad. We did not use the bus service as they are not that frequent & it is nice to have a walk after a long hot day.

All in all it was a great holiday but doubt I would stay there again unless I was on a tight budget. I would have preferred to stay at the Coral Bay Hotel as it was much nicer.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
lancs
Reviewed 10 June 2009

just returned from two week stay at hotel. it was clean. rooms big and spacious but it was not the four star rating we were lead to believe. i would only give it a two tops! Furniture very dated. beds and pillows rock hard. towels like sand paper. But it was kept lovely and clean. pool great and only steps away from beach. no where near restaurants had to get bus into coral bay which wasn,t a great amount but when there is a few off you it soon adds up, there and back twice a day every day! But saying that we had nice time. nothing beats cypriot food and weather!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Derby
Reviewed 3 June 2009

I found this site helpful before we went to Cyprus so thought it only fair to add our own review.

Arrived at the hotel and was presented with a Birthday Cake for my Daughter whose birthday it was the day before we travelled. To be fair I could not fault the staff at the Corallia Beach Hotel, the hotel is in a lovely situation overlooking the beach.

Rooms were basic but clean and very big. I had read on this site about rooms ending in 00, luckily ours didn't, we had a side sea view which was on the car park side, unfortunately our friends were on the opposite side of the hotel and although they had a side sea view they overlooked the dumping ground also.

The Air con was on warm for the first few days (in 32 degrees) this was not nice. We discussed this with the Manageress who explained that it was controlled centrally and that some people had expressed that they felt cold!!!! It was addressed and from then on it was ok.

We have never been to a hotel before, where you have not had to be an early riser to ensure you got a sun bed, well this was not an issue here, there were plenty of sun beds all day long. The first week was very quiet, the only noise being our girls in the pool, I am sure they shattered everyone's peace & quiet!!!! Sorry ..............

O'Soloman's was very nice for a drink and snack, nothing much else around so you had no choice but to get the bus to Coral Bay (although this hotel is on Coral Bay Beach, Coral Bay is a good 30 minute walk away).

There is a supermarket near the hotel which was the same prices as in Coral Bay, don't forget your deodarant though, a tin of sure was 10 euros!

Being a party of 4 we spent a small fortune here, at least 12 euros every day on the bus, if we went in to Coral Bay during the day as well as in the evening , obviously this doubled. On average a meal for the 4 of us with a couple of drinks each was anywhere between 85-120 euros!

We love Cyprus but usually go to Pernera (near Protaras). We felt a bit out on a limb at this hotel, but that is not the hotel's fault. We shall not be returning to Cyprus again for a long time, at least not until the prices come down or the Pound against the Euro improves.

All in all an enjoyable holiday but not the best one I've ever had in Cyprus.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Britiain
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We would just like to clear any confusion - the review of the poor customer service of Travel Lounge IS NOT The same Travel Lounge as the one in Preston, Lancashire it is about the services of "Travel Lounge UK LTD" in Middlesex

We are "The Travel Lounge", Preston, Lancashire (pleased to report a totally different ABTA company than the other teletext one mentioned who we do not know and so could not comment on) and pride ourselves on looking after all of our customers with a top class service

• Stayed April 2009
west midlands
Reviewed 3 April 2009

My In-laws live in Cyprus. I am quite keen on the country myself but believe in general as a country there is a huge room for improvement in many aspects.

I booked a night in this hotel as my husband and I got married in Malta and then flew straight to Cyprus afterwards to spend some time with his parents but I also wanted to see another part of the island as they live near Larnaca, I thought we could break the time up and see a bit of the other side and so I booked us a night here for a change. As we had spent a lot of money on our wedding I was considering our 2 days in Coral Bay to be our honeymoon. I was very stressed when we arrived as it took nearly 3 hours to drive there and I felt the need to be somewhere civilised as the village where I was staying was experiencing power cuts and water shortages.

I was greeted by the rudest Reception staff I have ever come across anywhere in the world. They didn't have our booking and made no effort to find it, to contact the UK agent I'd booked it through (I had to phone the website myself and incur a huge fee) or to find us alternative accomodation. It was quite embarassing actually as I was very upset by the way I was treated. Eventually we were given room but this was after about two hours!

We were given an apartment bigger than the one I had booked and overlooking the beach which we were very glad of. I thought the resort itself was going to be nicer than it was but it is just an extension of Paphos but with a slightlu quieter beach. There are no traditional restaurants just Irish Pubs and Chinese takeaways. I would not choose to visit Coral Bay again.

The only positive thing I have taken away from this hotel was the food. Breakfast was great and I actually liked the concept of the themed buffet in the taverna. I booked us Half Board and when we went for a walk around the resort I decided I couldn't have got a better meal elsewhere.

If you are flying into Paphos I would consider going a little bit further uo the coast and staying somewhere like Polis or Laatchi. I had intended on staying all day at the Corallia but we left early to go and explore other areas and ended up in Laatchi. if you fly to Larnaca instead and Go to Larnaca itself if you like somewhere lively but not trashy, or Cape Greco if you want a stunning beach. I sometimes feel that the Cyriots try to cater too much for the tourists and think we want to see fast food chains on the beach. It breaks my heart to see the stunning antiquities they have such as the toumb of the Kings with a huge McDonalds next door!

I am due to visit Cyprus again in June this year. I have booked various accomodation thoughout my stay through UK websites. I shall be e-mailing them all before I go to check they have recieved my reservations! I am also venturing to the Turkish side which I am very much looking forward to!

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mrsniccooper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paphos
Cynthiana Beach Hotel
#14 of 88 in Paphos
Roman Boutique Hotel
Roman Boutique Hotel
#47 of 88 in Paphos

Been to Corallia Beach Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!