“Great week, sad to leave”
Review of Paphiessa Hotel

Paphiessa Hotel
Ranked #64 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have just spent a week at the Paphiessa, a hotel that I stay at 2-3 times a year. Once again I was greeted by Nikos and his staff not like a customer but like a friend. I spoke with many other guests who said exactly the same thing.

As other reviews point out, many people like myself return to this hotel time and time again. This is a reflection I believe, on the great service and hospitality that people receive here. If it wasn't any good I would simply go elsewhere.

I am often amazed at some of the critical reviews that I read regarding the Paphiessa. Yes the rooms are basic and somewhat dated but they are comfortable and clean. This hotel provides excellent value for money. I have stated in other reviews that I have submitted Paphos is such a nice place, it would be a bit of a waste to spend an entire holiday in a hotel.

Entertainment is hosted every night by Jamie which is always great fun.

The hotel is situated a short walk from the harbour and bar street areas and as such I tend to eat out when stying here such is the wide variety of quality restaurants on offer. However I have sampled the hotel food and it is always very tasty.

Thanks for a great holiday and I will see everyone at some point next year.

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Matt B

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Just back from 3 weeks at Paphiessa and can't believe some of the reviews! Yes breakfasts are limited to porridge, corn flakes, muesli (once bran), hot and cold milk, tea, coffee, 3 fruit juices, iced water, brown, white sliced and local sesame bread and an automatic toaster. Two jams or marmalades each day. Ham or luncheon meat style salami - different ones during the week, with sliced cheese, tomato and cucumber, hard boiled eggs and some days scrambled eggs, with chopped frankfurter style sausages, and baked beans. It is buffet style some eat as much as you like! You cant go hungry! You are not allowed to take food or drinks out of the dining room - but just watch how the Russians manage it!

Because of reviews here and wanting future bookings I asked to see other rooms and also visited other guests rooms - I saw over 15 rooms, studios and apartments in different blocks including 026 which has featured in a condemning review. There is a great deal of variety in size, layout, balconies and furnishing. All which I saw were very clean and in a good state of decoration and maintenance. Some furniture was a little dated in design, some outside furniture showed age and was no longer gleaming white like new! None of the rooms visited had stained baths or dirty fittings.

Our room was serviced daily, floors mopped and bins emptied, except one day each week. Beds and towels were changed 3 to 5 times a week. Some of the towels were old and a bit rough in texture but were always clean. Some of the sheets and pillow cases, washed in their own laundry, also showed age and were not as pure white as new ones. A bit like home!!! We had a wonderful cleaner Daniella who was very friendly and helpful and spoke English better than many guests. We made our own beds daily but she remade them in her hotel style!

Poolside - loose slabs, tripping hazards! I hope they were reported. Was it this hotel? We did not find any. The pool and paving was kept clean, tidy and was well maintained. It was safe for children, the elderly and infirm! The water was not "murky" but crystal clear. The pool was kept clean, clear of leaves and litter and was tested and treated daily. There are loads of sun beds, most new but some older ones at one end. A few need replacing as do a few shades but there are enough without needing these.

The evening meal was never undercooked and was always very tasty! A buffet self service choice of soup, fresh bread, salad (6 to 8 different dishes which changed daily) a vegetarian dish (often pasta, fish or rice dishes) and two main courses with two or three vegetables. Sometimes there were lovely home cooked Cypriot cakes and other local deserts, but usually plenty of fresh fruit salad, crème caramel, rice pudding, jellies and of course 3 varieties of ice cream every day and two cheeses. Every night there was a traditional Cypriot dish. Stews, casseroles, goulashes, stroganoff, moussaka, cottage pie, fish pie, pork chops, fish in breadcrumbs, sole fillets, roast chicken were just some of the meals. You could not be hungry!

Ants and insects - yes sometimes especially on the ground floor. This is Cyprus! The Med! And there are gardens at the hotel! Just do not stay in villages where you might get scorpions, snakes, rats and mice! I did not see any in any room I visited. I heard no complaints from other guests only on this forum. Reception does have sprays available and will deal with the issue if needed.

Entertainment - we only saw the live performers all of whom were very professional. Chloe was very good as was the other female singer.

This is a family run budget range hotel and it is a bit like going to stay with family! Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Any concerns are dealt with immediately - just be polite and non-aggressive!

I will post photographs and more information in the next few days.

Room Tip: Poolside has sun, view and noise! Top floor hot! Annex studios larger rooms and quiet! Have fridge...
3  Thank oldfisherman
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

This is a good friendly family run hotel clean and tidy entertainment good I have stayed at this hotel now for the last 12 times never had a problem with it this was my third time this year and I hope to go back at Xmas

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Wayne S
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My family and I loved staying at the Paphiessa. Couldn't fault anything from the accommodation to the wonderful staff.
We noticed the staff always had time for all guests. They all had and showed the great Cypriot sence of humour not experienced at any of the other hotels & places we visited while in Europe.

Our room was spotless & well equipped with a lovely view.
As one of the guests remarked, " This hotel is a hidden treasure"

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paul K
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Prior to flying out on the Sunday to stay at the Paphiessa Apartments my wife and I tried to change our accommodation after our daughter (who had gone out on the previous Wednesday) rang us to say that she had changed accommodation from the Paphiessa due the disgusting condition of their studio. We were told by the people at Jet2 headquarters that we would have to try to change when we arrived at Paphos.
When we arrived at the Paphiessa we were met by our daughter and her partner, we went to apartment and they said at least it was better than the one which they were given.
We went to see their apartment and although it was cleaner and better facilities due to it being on the third floor with no lift we decided to stick it out the Paphiessa.
Having booked for bed and breakfast, the first morning we went down for breakfast this was the first and last time we went down for breakfast having deciding that if this was the best they could offer we would make our own instead.
The standards of cleanliness of the studio left a lot to be desired, we found that if you pulled the bed clothes up to tidy it in the morning the cleaners would leave it and not make the bed.
The pool area was fairly busy despite all the various hazards of loose slabs, tripping hazards, etc. The water depth indicators on the edge of the pool was very useful because by looking into the pool you thought it was bottomless because the water was so murky you could not see the bottom.
Eating out was very good and there were numerous places were you could get a 3 course meal for very reasonable prices.
If you ant a Sunday lunch t the First and Last Pub close by but be sure to book for it as it is so popular and good value.

3  Thank John W
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Yet another great visit to the Paphiessa. As usual I was welcomed by everyone; Nikos, Mikaela, Jamie & all the staff & family. More of a homecoming than a repeat holiday actually.

I've read some of the reviews people have posted about their stay which coincided with mine & I'm a bit confused. What part of the hotel are they claiming they stayed in? I asked one reviewer if they would identify their room but I'm still waiting. Makes me wonder if some unscrupulous rival is getting his guests to submit bogus reviews. Have these people ever stayed in a UK hotel? Don't they understand that you only get 5 star if you pay for 5 star? For many years my late wife & I were regular guests at the 5 star Amathus Beach hotel, Paphos but to be honest the ridiculous prices & zero atmosphere are awful.

The Paphiessa hotel is run with one purpose - to give the guests the best possible reasonably priced holiday in the most relaxed & welcoming surroundings. The rooms have everything guests need & are cleaned thoroughly every day. The pool area is clean, well maintained & furnished & has more than enough sunbeds. The meals are mainly of Greek/Cypriot origin, although other European foods are also served, & are of a high standard. The bar area is airy, clean, well stocked & staffed & is a comfortable place to enjoy the nightly entertainment (those who don't want to be involved in the entertainment have comfortable seating in a quieter part of the bar or outside in the gardens).

I have lost count of the number of times that I've heard newcomers comment "After reading TripAdvisor we were a bit worried, but it's lovely here." Folks, don't always believe what people write, just ask yourself this; if this place is so bad, why do hundreds (and I'm not exaggerating with that number) of people return year after year?

As for me? Done the 5 star thing all over the world. Pretentious people living in the dreams of their own over inflated ego. Give me the Paphiessa every time

Room Tip: I prefer the top floor, pool side of the hotel because of the views out to sea. If you think that yo...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
6  Thank David P
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Hi I came to this hotel last year and had a. really good time.
I did not think it could be any better but it was.
The staff and owner greeted us as friends not just customers.
We have met so many nice people at this hotel its great.
The price of drink is the same as last year cheaper than England.
The evening meal is buffet style good choice and plenty of it.
The rooms are kept clean and tidy.
If there is any think you want just ask the maid they go out of there way to help you.
The amount of people that come back each year or more often to this hotel speaks for it self
There is a very chance we will be back next year for 28 days of sun fun.
The hotel puts on some good shows but a 15 minute walk to the bar street for more choice of shows and bars.
You must try the kebabs.
We took a speed boat out at the harbour self drive fantastic fun.
Any way its all there for you to try.
Many thanks to Nikos and all the wonderful staff who looked after us as friends.

4  Thank daniel g