“Friendly, clean and perfect location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofianna Hotel Apts.

Sofianna Hotel Apts.
Ranked #52 of 90 Hotels in Paphos
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Friendly, clean and perfect location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

My friend and I have just returned from a weeks holiday at the Sophianna Hotel (April 2014). We had a lovely time and would recommend this hotel to others. Okay...so the room could have done with a bit of a decor uplift...but it was clean and spacious. The towels were changed every other day and beds were made. Our balcony overlooked the road and was small but this wasnt an issue for us. We used the hotel as a base to see the sights around that side of the island. We had breakfast included in the price and if I am honest...it was continental style and the same most days. A boiled egg, ham, cheese, toast and jam...choice of 3 cereals, and orange juice, tea and coffee You can buy a full english though..which we didnt realise until our last day. The pools are lovely. Im quite brave and swam every day in the outside pool, once in...it was fine. The inside pool was smaller but warm. And there is also a jacuzzi and a gym and sauna. The staff were all very friendly and polite. They did their best to make our stay good and were very helpful. the location of the hotel is 5 minutes walking distance to the harbour and all the restaurants and bars. But the hotel itself was very quiet..away from the main hub. We were able to pick up a bus easily by walking to the bus station situated at the harbour and buses were regular...10 minutes. We got a bus to Coral Bay which took about 20 minutes. We also took a bus up to the old town and market...which was great for a little look around. If any of you think of sending postcards.....can I suggest that you buy them and post them in the old town if you go there.....as the post office near the harbour is further away than you think....and we had quite a long walk trying to find it. It probably took us 30 minutes walk each way to buy the bloomin stamps!! They dont sell stamps in the shops. We ate out every night and our favourite two places were the Captains Restaurant on the Harbour and The Alkion Restaurant which isnt too far from the hotel. The Alkion is situated...turn left out of the Sophianna, then left again. Turn down to the right...past a bar called friends, ....then turn left on the corner. Its a lovely family run restaurant with very gently mannered staff. Food was great. The Harbour is great but be prepared for all the people trying to get you into their restaurants. We didnt feel pressured though and they were all up for a bit of banter. The municiple beach along to the left of the harbour was lovely for sunbathing on and a beautiful spot overlooking the sea, sheltered from the breeze. After our evening meals we often ended the evening in "Friends" bar and it really was friendly. There was entertainment most night and some very good tribute and comedy acts. Particularly Steve Welsh...he was hillarious and we had a right old giggle. Hope this info helps... we would definately go back again...happy holidays guys!!!

Room Tip: our room was 404 and did not overlook the pool...but it was quiet ...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank trishalisha

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Larnaka City, Cyprus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

5 th time in this hotel and we are felt the changes after the arrive of the new manager! Most of the staff the same (litsa in reception very nice person) but new staff made the diferent!
Hotel is just about entering the Horbour which is far enough so will not be in the midle of the noise!Thats why we are using this place so long!
Everything you need so near ,supermarket Papantnio 5 minutes walk from hotel ( we never use the mini markets near hotel , too expensive and not very clean!especialy one look like second hand shop)Market up top the road and Light house beach 10 minutes walk!
Drinking at the "aces" bar with spirous only 5 minutes walk down the road from hotel !and eat at "moonlight" tavern and snack bar across the road from entrance of hotel
A new place open across the road from hotel next to "moonlight" so we try it but not very impressed, since a bottle of cyprus wine 18 euros !!we usally buy the same thing at supermarket for 3euros ,,,,,,,not for us that place !!!
over all great place to stay and highly recommended

Room Tip: always use 104, nice view to the pool!
2 Thank lin l
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

wondeful holiday! wondeful staff and woneful town!!!! Green walking areas in the hotels door step!great places to visit few minutes away!logal places with exellent and reasonable priced food nearby!"moorings" and "moonlight" tavern (across the road),Hondros by horbour our best!
Yes! , hotel need refurnished but is very clean,we are not going on holidays to stay in hotels rooms but explore,
meet the people of the country, the culture and there is plenty of it around!
Try Fabrica hills up to the road and count number of flowers(spring is out), birds(is the migration time ), and plants(wild plants!) !!and thats is the city center of Kato paphos!!!
sea caves and rock of Aprodite also great places to visit!!
we will be back soon!!!!and we will stay again to this hotel!

Room Tip: Room 128 is next to the hotel's park! you can hear birds singimg every morning!!
4 Thank tilly t
Irby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Visited in March and so area very quiet. Weather just right at this time of year.
Reception staff both friendly and helpful. Showed us to our rooms which were clean and functional. Beds comfortable and we got a good night's sleep, every night.
Unfortunately, rooms and common areas are very dated and in dire need of refurbishment. Old fashioned TV with not many channels but not a problem, as we don't go on holiday to watch TV. Plenty of electrical sockets (and they are 240 volt British sockets too). Kitchen area was more than adequate for our needs. Balcony overlooked the swimming pool but was very small. The free use of a safe in the room was a bonus. Wi Fi had to be paid for and was expensive - it should be free everywhere, in this day and age. Most of the bars have free wi fi anyway. We bought a local data only sim card for when we wanted internet access in the hotel.
Breakfast (every day) consisted of toast, a boiled egg, a small plate of cheese and fake Spam, tea or coffee and orange juice. We didn't bother with it after the second day. Supermarket around the corner. Groceries are pricey here but bottles of wine and beer are quite cheap. Swimming pool looked OK but we didn't use it.
In a good area and central to everything. There are a number of tours and boat trips in the area. There are a few interesting archaeological sites in the area and loads of bars and restaurants to choose from. A great bar is the sky Bar which is part of the Pyramos hotel. The George & Dragon is quite good too.
Food is pretty much the same, whichever restaurant you dine in, but the prices tend to vary a lot. A 1 litre caraf of house wine is usually cheaper than a 750ml bottle. The best meal we had (and the cheapest too) was on our last day at the Blue Mare, down by the castle. Try the grilled octopus - very nice.
They drive on left in Cyprus and it is probably cheaper to hire a car than using a minibus transfer. We booked with Economy Car Hire and it cost 40 GBP for the week, which included damage excess waiver and a full to full fair fuel policy.
Be sure to drive up to the capital (Nicosia) and cross the border (on foot) into Northern Cyprus for an hour or two (passports needed). Limassol is also worth a visit for a couple of hours.
Good holiday, all in all. I would certainly use this hotel again but I do wish they would a) update the place a little, b) provide free internet access and c) vary the breakfast a little.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Outrageous
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

would like to say thank you to lisa and renata for making us feel welcome, the sofianna apts are very well placed near bar street, taxi rank and not far to sea front, lots of shops, bars, disco clubs, restaurants,will buzz in higher season. try the moonlight bar right oppposite amazing,,, we were given a security key for the safe which i think is a brilliant idea at no extra cost, this i think should be included in the price of your holiday anyway please note all hotels, rather than rip folk off. room was cleaned regularly sheets and towels too. lovely gardens, maids clean the sunbeds in the morning too. breakfast was the same everyday which again i aint picky but might not suit everyone. i felt the pool a bit slimy underfoot and looked a bit green in places but was assured cleaned regularly, the gym only the running machine worked, and one weight machine, bikes etc needs upgraded, there is an indoor pool too very warm good for kids, and a sauna if you wish. rooms are okay, some carpeted, i cant say anything negative, just constructive i hope, we had nice time here but it may not be for everyone

Room Tip: you may not want rooms over the bar could be noisy at night if you have kiddies, rooms opposite i th...
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Apparently the Sofianna has been through a refit. I dread to think what it looked like before. The rooms were spacious and there was a good balcony but the furniture and overall look was going back in time. The bathroom was very dated.
Beds where uncomfortable and 2 singles pushed together do not make a double!!
On our first night the roof leaked during a rain storm meaning we had to move rooms.
The outdoor pool looked very nice but being March was too cold to go in. The heated indoor pool was nice but small. Couldn't find the sauna and the Jacuzzi wasn't working.
Breakfast was appalling. 4 slices of toast, a cup of tea, ham, salami, cheese slices, salad and a boiled egg. It was the same every day!!
The apartments are in a central area but are very close to the main bars and clubs. In March this is fine but as the the summer kicks in I can imagine it gets very loud at night.
Was cheap and you can see why. If I go to Pathos again (unlikely) I'd pay extra to stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask to be at the far end of the property away from the bars and clubs.
Staines, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Bad points: carpet smelt as though dogs were living there, large staines on carpet and dirty in most places, including under bed which I doubt they hoover including mattress after each occupant, I expect the place is infested with dustmites. When I booked, I particularly made a request that my room is hoovered properly as I suffer with dustmite allergy. As I arrived late in the evening, reception said I will have to wait till the morning for the cleaners to clean up. I asked if there was another room as the smell was making me feel sick. But the only other room available had a buzzing noise in the room which would have made it difficult to sleep and the engineer could not come till the next day so I slept on a lounger by the pool that evening but kept getting disturbed by the cats. Every evening laid on the loungers by pool till very tired in the early hours of the morning then eventually went to my room to continue sleeping but woke up with swollen eyes and lips due to dustmite allergy. The mirror, light switches, hairdryer, drawers, wardrobe very dirty and dusty. Ants in kitchen cupboard and work surfaces, microvave, inside and sides of cooker very dirty with left over food/crumbs and oil, water still in the kettle from previous occupants. Wasted my time waiting for the cleaner the next day so I could show her what to clean but she was not interested to clean everything, I reported this and asked for the cleaning materials and hoover so I could clean my room, but they refused. I ended up not using the kitchen (which meant it was costly eating out and kept all my belongings in my suitcase all week which was inconvenient. Although I took photos to add to this review and loaded them on my computer, but they were accidentally deleted. I wrote a letter to the manager while there complaining and asking for a least one night's refund as I paid the the week's stay on arrival, but never heard from him even though I asked to see him personally but was never available when I was, as I had excursions booked. I emailed him when I returned home and still never heard from him. I pressume the cleanliness of the rooms are dependant on individual cleaners. Although the rooms are dated it would have been comfortable provided the cleanliness was applied.
Good points: Pool and surrounding areas kept clean, sun beds always available, the two reception staff were pleasant.
Nice quite area convenient to facilities, but better hotels and apartments are in that area after speaking to people.
And when the manager reads this, waste of time apologising now to me, just listen to what people have been saying and get your cleaning staff sorted and inspect the rooms yourself!
As I have not had a result from you, I will be contacting all the travel agents who use your hotel to reconsider.

Room Tip: Room facing garden noisy with crickets all night Room facing derelict land and bins noisy twice a w...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo