“Could be better”

Ranked #59 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
Reviewed 2 March 2013

On entry to the hotel was impressed by the standard of the public areas, On entering the bedroom shocked. Extremely basis. Room in sad condition. The bathroom had many faults it was in a dirty state, bath and surrounds.door, walls all required a good clean. Inadequate storage one very small shelf. food was of a reasonable standard. Staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank george m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Chester
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My father and step mother stayed at Veronica Hotel on an all-inclusive package only a couple of weeks ago, and have returned feeling very disappointed. On arrival in the late evening, there was no food available, and they were not told about where they could get some food after their journey (they are both diabetic and control it through diet, so have to eat regularly). They were given an envelope with six coloured tickets in it; this represented the next day's 'all-inclusive' part of the package, that they could have three drinks (tea/coffee/soft drinks or half a lager) each for free, and everything else had to be paid for. This was the case every day. They were not alone and others staying at the same time were commenting on how much extra they were having to pay out on what they thought was an all-inclusive package. Also, there were huge discrepancies in the quality of the food; the daytime food was excellent, plentiful selections of good quality food. The evening meals on the other hand were appalling, without exception; most regulars - and there were people who were staying for two/three/four weeks and more - were eating at local bars and cafes every night, such was the quality of the food; my parents ended up doing the same. They were told by the hotel that one of the chefs had left several weeks before, and that was the end of the explanation. I know that people say 'you get what you pay for' but if you pay for all-inclusive, you do expect to be able to get that, even in a three star hotel, and you also expect the evening meals to be edible. I'm considering going to Cyprus later in the year, but this will be one hotel that I'll definitely steer clear of. I am writing this review for them as, by their own admission, they are not brilliant on computers yet wanted to let others know about their experience. They reported their complaints to their travel agent, who was equally concerned and is following the matter up separately.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Julie C

Travellers are raving about these Paphos hotels

Gosport, Hampshire, England
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Hotel was chosen for a 4 week stay in January as was the cheapest I could find. Overall I had no complaints based on what I paid. Hotel was kept clean. I was fortunate in not finding any cockroaches or ants in my room although I was aware of other guests who were not so lucky. I very much enjoyed the food as always plenty of choice and you would have to be a very fussy eater not to find something you like at each meal. Hotel definitely needs updating but overall it was ok.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd floor have best views.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank alanaplin
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2013

My husband and I booked this as a late get away for new year. It was the first time in Paphos, and the Hotel Veronica. Our flight was delayed and we arrived just before the end of dinner service, the receptionist was very helpful by suggesting we have food before we checked in. The food was tasty, and catered for all food tastes......we ate very well. The New Year Buffett was well presented with lots of choice. Our room was tidy and clean, and remaind the same way all week, the house keeping was excellent. We had a pool view, although obstructed a little by the folige. This was a 3 star hotel providing 3 star luxury. If you want 5 star luxury then this is not the hotel for you!!!
And yes I would defo go back to this HOTEL AGAIN. PS never saw one beastie in a whole week. :)
Happy New Year>

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank Janis O
Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

Me and my fiancé stayed here for two weeks from 31st oct to 14th nov 2012, it is a good 3 star hotel, rooms are very basic and very clean, bathroom does need updating, ther are ants and tiny cockroaches that come up through the plugs..but you do get this anywhere you go abroad! We just asked at reception and they will give you bug killer.
Food was not good just basic, I am vegetarian so found myself living on salad for the whole two weeks! My fiancé does eat meat however, and didnt enjoy the meat, but did enjoy the fish.
By the way, some guests did not realise that all inclusive is NOT all inclusive! It is called all inclusive LIGHT..you recieve tockens for drinks, and only get so many tockens per day, if you run out of tockens..then you pay for drinks out of your own money.
We stayed half baord and was very happy with this choice :)
Staff are lovely and so hard working!!
Some of the guests was quite rude, but also met some lovely people!
Loads of things to keep us busy over the two weeks, tomb of the kings, aphrodite rock, glass bottom boats, mosaics, harbour, beaches, etc, and if you have time walk down to the beach and watch the sunset..amazing!!
We got around on the bus for €3 a dayticket each, which is very good as it takes you anywer all day for just €3!!
Unfortunatly we had a storm that lasted 3 days, was very scary! But cleared up and the sun came back for the rest of our holiday
I really enjoyed this holiday!! We even came back engaged! After my fiancé proposed on our balcony :)
I will always remember this holiday together, was truely magical :)
Basic good 3 star hotel

• Stayed November 2012
4 Thank kirstywebb
Whitby
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We stayed at the Veronica for the first time at the beginning of December 2012. I had been recommended it by a friend from North Cyprus. We only stayed for two nights, but I was impressed by the friendly staff, the good food (which improved during our stay as a new chef was employed), the cleanliness of the rooms etc. This is not a luxury hotel, but provides very good value for the prices it charges. We would have been pleased to stay for a few more days if we were not reurning to the UK for Christmas... but I will definitely go back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank WhitbyRanger
Penzance, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Maggie lone traveller
This is a 3* hotel which offers good value.Stayed for 3 weeks in November 2012. Rooms are clean & adequately furnished, sheets/towels changed regularly, floors swept & mopped daily, plumbing works & always plenty of hot water.
Staff all friendly & helpful in my experience, always ready to have a chat whilst working & provide information on local services & events. Perhaps those reviewers who've found staff lacking should try being a little more smiley & pleasant themselves & they may get a better reaction? Check-in easy & swift, I arrived after evening meal had finished but was directed by reception to nearby restaurant or offered they would get me a meal brought in if I wanted one. Can't say better than that can you!
Pool area great, lots of sunbeds/umberellas. Yes, pool was cold but can't expect warm water in November in 3* At that time of year many hotels have closed their pools so it was a bonus for those who wanted a swim & you soon adjust to temp once in the water (just wait a couple of hours for sun to warm it up before plunging in)
Excellent position, bus stop 100yds, small supermarket across road, 20mins walk harbour, easy reach bus station for sightseeing around island. Daily bus ticket now 3 euros or 13 for a week. Can also get bus to Nicosia 10euros return & takes 2 hrs (as fast as you could drive there) Limassol 5euros return- 1 1/4 hrs
Recommend coach tour Troodos mountains & Kykkos monastery, great day out & very well organised. Booked with local operater 17Euros, much cheaper than via holiday reps.
No entertainment in hotel which is a pity, Avanti hotel (next door) has something on every evening & non-residents welcomed so not a problem & drinks are cheaper than Veronica.(Wine;3.50 Veronica - 2.20 Avanti) think Veronica need address this!
Food ok - lots of choice at breakfast, I was only expecting continental so bacon,2 types eggs,beans,sausage(hot dog),fried bread,toast etc was bonus. Eve meal; great salad bar, always fish,veggie meal & 2x meat meals on buffet so should be able find something you like unless you're a picky eater. Meat tends to be a bit fatty but from what heard of other hotel's food in area many have much less choice than Veronica. Don't expect it be like British food, you're in Cyprus!!! Roast dinner may come with chips & not roasties, but it's all edible & remember how little you pay here. I was prepared to go out for meals if needbe at the bargain price I paid for 3 wks in sunshine in a friendly family run clean hotel.
I'd be happy to return to the Veronica.

Room Tip: high floor front of hotel with views to sea & harbour. room 308. Some road noise but not too lat...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo