“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Akis Tavern

Akis Tavern
Ranked #10 of 541 Restaurants in Paphos
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats, Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A simple traditional taverna, family run, with no gourmet elements, as that would contradict the whole concept, in a village setting and beautiful gardens. My mum prepares the food with lots of love and the rest of us make sure it is served to you properly and on time! The presentation is simple as well, as my father wants, although my mother would love to show off a bit more of her skills:) However and most importantly, it is genuinely Cypriot!We have had the taverna since 1990 and during the years we have made a lot of wonderful friends and shared with them beautiful moments, wedding and christening parties, anniversaries and birthday parties. That is the best part of the story!So, after writing a whole essay I realise I could just describe it with one single sentence: A family-run tavern who loves Cypriot food and enjoys serving its visitors!Thank you for taking the time to read it!
London, United Kingdom
“Great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

If you go to akis try the meze.Top food at a reasonable price.Traditional cypriot food if you fancy something lighter and friendly service

Visited August 2014
Andrianahad, owners' daughter at Akis Tavern, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you very much for a review that said it all in just few words ;)

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
UK
“Excellent Cypriot food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We visited on a Saturday night, it was very busy but they coped very well, the food was great as usual, our friends were impressed with the food and the friendly service
A couple of opportunities, to be seated in a wedding party not ideal but good for people watching, I agree with some other reviewers that the prawn cocktail needs more prawns and less sauce, avocados out of stock for a long time and no Persefoni again, still a great night with great food.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Heather H
Dear Heather,
thank you for another enlightening review, we are glad we managed to impress your friends, both in terms of food and service and we will take in consideration your comments. I'm afraid twe can't do much about avocados, as we only serve them when in season. However I will have a word with my father about the Persefoni wine and my mum about adding more prawns and less sause :)
Sandhurst - Berkshire
“Superb typical Cypriot taverna”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this traditional taverna whilst on hols with my family. Really friendly waiters and the food was sublime. Garlic bread to die for I had meatballs which were delicious and hubbie had mousaka which he said was lovely and my girls really enjoyed their meals too. Afterwards they brought out cake, melon and grapes foc which was a lovely touch. They had a couple of swings for the girls which they really enjoyed. It was a bit on the pricey side but you get what you pay for! would definately go back

We are really glad that you have "stumbled across" our taverna and mostly for enjoying it! Your girls were lovely, we are looking forward in seeing you again. Thank you for your lovely review!
“Distinctly average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Hi there, now I'm going to start of by saying that We found Akis tavern by looking on trip advisor and with it being @ 3rd place we thought we must give it a go as it's nearby our villa. This is our version of events as they happened last night : on being seated by a young girl who was polite we were asked if we wanted a menu, we were left with the menu about 10 mins when the owner I presume came to take our order, I asked if we could have drinks first. Then we ordered, our host was quite abrupt while telling us my husband could not have the starter that he chose as there was no avocados. He also couldn't have his main meal as there was no sheftalia? So opted for prawn cocktail and to follow swordfish. To b fair, my starter of 2 king prawns €8.50 and a lovely T-bone steak €18.50 were really nice. The starters were brought and dropped on the table, the host was so rude my husband was really to get up and leave right then, but we persevered. The prawn cocktail was a bowl filled with mayonnaise,to the brim and my husband had a job finding the prawns that swam in there, it was just mush! Mine were nice. Then the swordfish €18 came and my husband managed to get 4 forkfuls while emptying his mouth of bones, bearing in mind he'd already taken the spine out. Again mine was nice. To sum up, no warm welcome, we felt rushed, manors of the host were appalling, food wasn't acceptable,financially ripped off, and to top it off we left a 10% tip as u do and the owner left it on the plate and walked away without a word bill was €51. Love cyprus this is my second visit and would never return to Akis tavern again, in my opinion I have eaten in much better taverns where the food is good and the welcome is warm. Akis does not deserve to be number 3 in paphos.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank jacolyn2006
Firstly I would like to thank you for trying to be fair and presenting both sides, the good and the bad. As I have already reply to your husband's review, we only offer avocado when in season, as clearly said in the menu, which is sometime between October-May. We should have had sheftalia, you are right but you arrived late on a busy night, just before the kitchen closed that's why my dad did inform you in advance that some of the plates we usually serve are unfortunately finished. However your husband, in an aggresive attitude and possibly under the influence of alcohol, insisted on having sheftalia before compromising for an alternative. What you have written about the bill was very misleading and untrue, as you implied that we have included service's charges on your bill. We never do so!!! Your drinks, starters and food were 50.80 euro and my father asked specifically for 50 euros when he came to you with the check. I am sorry to hear that you haven't enjoyed your meal at our taverna. I wish things have been differently.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“bloody awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Worst meal in two weeks. Ordered avocado and prawn to start. Curtly told NO, no avocado.went for prawn cocktail as alternative. Prawn sloptail more like. Limp lettuce, swimming in bitter sauce and tastless "prawns".
Main. Ordered pork kebab and sheftalia. Again NO. No sheftalia. One of Cyprus' staples and didnt have any. Id compare that to a chip shop running out of chips. Ordered swordfish and that was mediocre at best. Unfriendly owner who seemed more concerned with watering his plants. Unless he was totally ignorant, he must have noticed hardly touched plates of food going back to the kitchen. My advice would be drive an extra five minutes and go to any tavern in the village of Kouklia. Thannasis, Gabriels, Aspris. Any of them.

• Visited August 2014
5 Thank ian w w
Andrianahad, owners' daugter at Akis Tavern, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Sir, I believe that your review needed an equally rude reply but I'm glad my manners do not allow me to do so. You arrived at the taverna a bit after ten o' clock on a busy night, under the inlfuence of alcohol and with aggressive manners and you got really upset when my father informed you that we have no avocado. As it is said clearly in the menu, we only offer it when in season and that for Cyprus is approximately between October - May. You visited us in August! Sheftalia is indeed one of Cyprus "stables", however comparing us to a chip shop not having chips is not that accurate, as we do serve a big number of other plates too and sometimes it is possible that some might finish towards the end, depending on the day's demand. If you want to support another place or restaurant, the best way is by keep posting them positive reviews, not by being mean with others. Thank you.