“a great place to stay in Paphos”

Constantinou Bros Athena Royal Beach Hotel
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just returned from 10 day holiday and thoroughly enjoyed it . The hotel is in a great beachfront location with very pleasant sun bathing areas. The staff are very welcoming and friendly and the hotel was spotlessly clean. If you don't want to eat in hotel there are some very good restaurants nearby so an excellent spot. It is a good 15-20 minute walk to the harbour but his is along coastal path and very good exercise then have a cold beer for refreshment at the harbour This was our second visit and we will happily return

2  Thank drptf
Write a ReviewReviews (1,653)

Reviewed 19 October 2013

My Wife and I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Athena Royal Beach and I should start by saying that overall I would agree with others that this is a good hotel. The Staff were very good especially those working in the restaurant and reception areas. The breakfast buffet was excellent and prices and service in the bar area extremely good (especially during hour hour)
However whilst not particularly wishing to be the dissenting voice in a sea of accolades I would have to say I thought that the hotel was showing a few signs of tiredness, perhaps it was just end of season wear and tear. Our room, whilst perfectly adequate fell short of what I would expect from a hotel where as a couple I am paying close to £1800 for a weeks bed and breakfast.
I would reserve my primary criticism for the bathroom and perhaps this is just me being picky but I would not expect the shower to have a plastic curtain and a rubber bath mat, surely it is reasonable to expect a higher standard from a hotel operating toward the top end of the market. The overall appearance of the bathroom was not helped by the absence of any extraction system which perhaps contributed to the faded and tired appearance of the paintwork, again it could be that this was a just a problem associated with my room.
I think it is fair to say that this hotel attracts a slightly older clientele which is great for that age group but I did feel that it resulted in a slightly more formal and reserved atmosphere in the hotel especially in the evening where the "entertainment" was very much geared toward the more sedate end of the performing spectrum. This is not a criticism of the hotel merely an observation as it is clear that the hotel does a very good job of meeting the requirements and expectations of the majority of its guests.
The location is good and there is a very good bus service to the harbour or you can walk along the coastal path which takes about 25 minutes. There are also a number of very good restaurants and bars within a few hundred meters so I have to balance any comments that could be perceived as negative against the fact that for many this hotel will tick the majority of boxes for those looking for a relaxing holiday in the Paphos area.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ash51
Reviewed 16 October 2013

just returned from an 8 day stay at the Athena Royal beach- have to admit that this hotel lived up to most of my expectations- the hotel was full booked so initially I was disapointed with our land view room but the rest of the hotel more than made up for it.

The pool although initially chilly was just what you needed after the heat of the sun and it was so clean and refreshing - I thought it was great that I often had the whole pool to myself and after a couple of laps the temp was fine.

I defy anyone to be dissapointed with the breakfast buffet which was exceptional and catered for even the most fussy guest. We only went B&B because we prefer to explore in the evening and there were plenty of excellent restuarants in the locality.

The staff were friendly and professional and made us feel very welcome, every where was very clean and well maintained. Happy hour at the cocktail bar is a must and great value for money !

Only negative points- no free wifi which for a hotel of this class was a disspointment 7.50 euro for 2 hours not what you want when you just want to check your email or post a photo on facebook!

Only other thing we found was that the hotel seems to attract guests in their golden years which is lovely but it would have been nice to have some younger guests to balance the mix. All in all a great hotel in a great location and a thoroughly enjoyable holiday - would revisit but when we are older !

Room Tip: Oay the extra for a sea view !
2  Thank Sharon710
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This was our first holiday without the children so we were a bit unsure what to expect but were not disappointed. We had booked a superior mountain view room as there had been no availability of a sea view room but on arrival we heard those dreaded words "double booked" but our fears were quickly dispelled when we were offered to go into the suite for 5 days then move to a superior sea view room & they would move all our things for us which was great.

The two roomed suite, room number 2258, is lovely and the view from the large balcony was stunning, so if you can "splash out" well worth it, we then moved to 2255 which was also a beautiful large room.

We were all inclusive on the premium package and we could not believe all we received within this package, all meals & drinks, these were premium brands not local, private cabana on the beach with a mobile phone to get drinks brought down to you if you wanted, we never used this perferring to walk the one minute to bar just to stretch legs & chat with the amazing staff in the Olive tree resturant, fridge in room fully stocked on arrival, bottle red & white wine on arrival, tuck down service every night when cold bottled water left at bedside with wee biscuit left on pillow, just amazing service and attention to detail rounded off with evening before leaving further bottle of wine & bottle of champagne left in room !!!

We did eat in hotel & package allowed unlimited visits to Al Carte which we visited about 5 times in the fornight loved all the food & buffet selection brilliant in main resturant, we also ate out twice not because we were fed up with food but just for a change.

There are more sunbeds than guests & are very well spaced out with more than enough space to turn round to chase sun !

Now for the negatives, the entertainment is poor at the best, we did meet people and chatted treating this as background music rather than entertainment but if you like a wee dance & to be entertained you will be disappointed, this had been brought to the managements attention many times but as they have a 70% return customer rate it is not stopping people returning, many people we had spoke to been over 15 times !

The pool was freezing to the point someone said there had been two polar bears rescued from it! Not looking for heated pool but also not one that turned me blue either, pool was never used lucky if there was one person in it but if a good swimmer sea was lovely.

All in all I would return to this hotel as the staff were amazing, never felt forced politness seemed genuinely interested in all guests and attention to detail from managment excellent but really need to resolve entertainment issue, if this was resolved would be very difficult to beat this hotel.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

This is the 8th time we have stayed at this hotel. We went the first year it opened and have been back every year since .The standard in everything is always excellent and the management and staff are superb nothing is to much trouble to them.We hope to spend our Golden wedding anniversary there next year

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HalifaxPeter
Reviewed 12 October 2013

This was the third consecutive year we have used the hotel.
We stayed at the hotel from 25th September 2013 for seven nights on half board with a sea view room. Whilst the cost was not cheap- almost £2000 for two adults I was pleased that the room included tea/ coffee facilities as well as the free use of the fridge and safe.

The hotel was excellent as we're the staff, however I was disappointed that the sky sports channels as listed in the room I. E. 1,2&3 did not function correctly, however only sky sports 2 worked consistently.
Having paid 12 euros for 4 hours WiFi I found that contrary to the hotel promise there was no coverage in our room and in fact we had to sit at the reception to get correct internet coverage.

These difficulties may not be important to most people, however they were to me and will make think seriously before I consider returning to the hotel.

Mr L J Hardy, chester le street, co Durham

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank LJ2214
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We have just returned from our holiday at the Athena Royal Beach a great Hotel .The food was
Fantastic as always.The rooms are great and so clean.We have stayed here many times and have just booked to go again next year,

Room Tip: Room overlooking the car park
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple