“super hotel and staff”

Ranked #18 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Colchester, United Kingdom
“super hotel and staff”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

enjoyed a week in june.super food and well looked after by staff.well situated for bars and beach.half an hour from harbour.lovely walk in the morning.can catch the bus back for 1.5 euros.the mountain view was different as most of the time you are on the beach.it was cooler in the afternoon.would recommend to anyone.

1 Thank davidk0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Athena Royal, staying in a group of six. From the greeting we received when we arrived, to the moment the manager wish us a good flight everything was first rate. The staff are extremely friendly and efficient, the food was excellent with a variety that ensured even the fusiest memebr of our party could find lots to eat. The rooms were a reasonable size and keep spotless by the maid service. Abundant towels were provided (at one point we had seven beach towels for two of us) The facilities were excellent and there were even enough sun beds to go around (although some people did insist on playing the "let's put our towels out at 7am" game). As this was an adults only hotel, it was often the case that the only sound that could be heard around the pools was an occasional splash and birdsong - bliss!. The manager, Dimitrios, was the most visible and approachable hotel manager I have ever seen - he seemed to work a sixteen hour and was always ready to stop and chat. The only slight negative was that the hotel is around 9 years old and is getting a little tired. That not withstanding we will be breaking a lifetime habit and going back to the hotel again.

Room Tip: Mountain view rooms are generally larger and get early morning sun on their balconies, although ther...
1 Thank Alan M
New Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Having just returned from this hotel 24 june. On the whole this hotel is lovely , however we arrived to be given a room which my partner put it ! he has slept in bigger wardrobes ! Sea view well that depends whether you can see through concrete ! If your goin to book this hotel do NOT book first floor ! We did complain and got moved by the friday (3 days later ) after a few attempts of trying to speak with the room organiser, a very rude receptionist who told us to go about our day ! This hotel is not cheap the food is lovely the guests are mostly on the mature side and they are up before they've gone to bed to reserve their sun loungers ! The maid on the 1st floor is brilliant however the maid on the 2nd floor is hopeless wasn't sure the room had been done at times only convinced by this because the bed had been made ! The majority of the staff are very friendly but if you haven't been to this hotel before don't be sucked in by the glowing reviews as the people who go to this hotel have been repeat customers for years ! Would we go back probably but for £3,000 for half board and drinks expensive we could get better value for money !so my advice shop around but if money no object go for it ! Love Cyprus itself though definetly going back !!

Room Tip: Don't book 1st floor and go for a sea view !
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stayed at the Athena Royal several times and have never been disapointed. Food and sevice exellent with a great range of dishes on offer. Treated ourselves to several meals in the Al a cart restaurant the sea bass was amazingly good. Many thanks to Florin at breakfast for assisting us with breakfast and of course Nicoletta the rooms manager.
Had a superior sea view room which is quite large and comes with a cabana on the beach.

Room Tip: superior sea view rooms a good
Darwen
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We have just returned from staying at the Athena Royal hotel & I must say that the standard of this hotel & all of the staff is excellent. We have stayed at the Asimina Suites & also at the Athena Beach hotels which are all part of the Constantinou group, the standard cannot be faulted.
We choose not to have a sea view room as we only use the room for sleeping & getting ready to go out, so the mountain view room is fine, no noise from the road.
We went on the all inclusive package which we find is good value for the money.There was a little confusion on the first night as we were told on checking in that some drinks are not included in the All inclusive package, things like brandy sours & sparling wines but when we went to the bar the bar staff said that they were included.
The restaurants are all very good, from the buffet to the al a carte We would like to thank in particular Florin who served us al a carte lunch in the Oasis most days & Marius who is the wine waiter in the Pygmalion buffet. He always has a smile on his face.
In the Dionysis bar all of the waitresses were very friendly and always had time to talk to us.
There is plenty of room around the pool and the gardens are extensive and there are lots of sun loungers.
It is a great hotel if you like bowling there are at least three large bowling rinks.

Room Tip: As I said in my review the mountain view rooms are fine, but if you like to sit on your balcony &...
2 Thank Alan B
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I returned from a week at the Athena Royal last week. I have stayed there for the last 3 years, and for the last 10 years in the Constantinou Bros hotels chain, and again I was not disappointed. The hotel is very clean, the rooms are always to a high standard and it is so nice to have the kettle, tea and coffee making facilities and the fridge! We upgraded to a sea view room when booking and it is definitely worth it, we did stay once in a side sea view room which had a view of the next hotel, which wasn't as good. I also like the fact the hotel is adult only. My only negative comment is, as I love to sit on the beach I had to be up at 6am to get a sun lounger on the beach front - I would prefer less early starts when on holiday! I usually got two of the last loungers so I don't know what time other people got up! I stayed on a Bed and breakfast basis, the breakfast choice as always was really good, no complaints and the Olive tree restaurant for lunch was lovely. I found it a bit challenging people feeding the cats in the breakfast area as I have a cat allergy, but I managed to steer clear. I know, however this is all part of staying in a hotel in Cyprus and it wouldn't put me off. The guests, although older than myself, were all very pleasant and polite, some remembered me from previous visits which was nice! The porter (not sure of his name - from the UK) was very obliging and he made us feel very welcome. Will definitely return and would recommend to anyone who wanted a quiet, relaxing holiday with great weather.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view room on a high floor - worth the extra.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ESStar04
Abingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Another quiet break at the Athena Royal. The housekeeping needs to reviewed. I personally do not like to come back to my room at 3 pm to find it is only just being cleaned especially when I leave it at 9 am! I could not fault the cleaners however, there just are not enough of them! I recommend the Olive restaurant by the pool for lunch .... The team that do the aqua aerobics need to invest in a new boogie box.....loud distorted music is a little distracting!
Overall we would always come back to the Athena Royal for a nice relaxing break.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple