“An honest review with highs and lows”

Ascos Coral Beach Hotel
Ranked #58 of 85 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We have just returned from the Ascos Coral Beach Hotel, after travelling there with Thomas Cook. We were there for a wedding with a large group - around 29 of us staying in the hotel - all adults and mainly couples.
The hotel is fine, the external areas are decorated to a good standard, the bar and restaurant are typical style and nice.
There is an indoor and outdoor pool both of a high standard, with a Jacuzzi and Sauna also to a high standard. There is a gym but most of the equipment was broken and out of use.
Staff - there is a mix of cypriot and english speaking staff. Those on reception that stood out were Susan and Ivan both friendly and helpful. The staff on the bars and the majority of waiting staff were helpful, friendly and good representatives of the hotel. There are always one or two that need to learn how to smile but on the whole you could not fault them - some were exceptional and made the holiday fun - like George at the Pool and Gabor in the snack bar.

Food - my advice is eat your breakfast, then ignore Lunch and go to the snack bar. Gabor was fantastic and the food was so much better than that served at Lunch. The evening meal was ok. Nothing bad nothing spetacular either. Everyone in our party was happy with it apart from those who were vegetarian as this was a very limited choice.

Room - this is the fun bit. The rooms are fine, very basic but will do. Our wedding couple were given an adjoining room attached by one unlocked door to the grooms sisters room and asked to be changed. They were charged for the privledge - so not given the upgrade as mentioned in the Thomas Cook Brochure.
In our room - the maid service was great, the maid was lovely and really helpful but -
our wardrobe door fell off,
there were old clothes left in the drawers - not entirely sure how long they had been there,
there are only two plug sockets in the entire room (they are standard 3 pin plugs) one by the TV and one by the kettle
The shower was off and on - sometimes you got a trickle of cold water, sometimes scalding and if you timed it really right at 5.45 you managed to get a normal shower - I wouldn't call it a power shower though. This may have been because we were on the 3rd floor however, my friends on the 2nd floor were fine with their shower.
My main complaint was the bathroom roof - if fell down whilst I was in the bathroom. I did complain to the hotel reception and was laughed at, I complained to the Rep and was told it was a "language barrier" I asked to see the manager and was still waiting for him 5 days later. They fixed the roof - by putting the same bits back up and it came down again - I complained again the same thing happened and I gave up.

The entertainment (and I use the word lightly) was poor. So poor the guy Matt said "if you don't enjoy it, just say you did so I can keep my job". His helper was there maybe 3/4 days in the last week out of the 2 weeks she was supposed to be. Half the activities were not on - I think they just did those things they liked and spend the rest of the time throwing people in the pool. The evening entertainment was half and half - normal acts and some really good ones.

I know this is long and negative but reviews should be honest. If you are going for a holiday for older people, with no interest in entertainment and you plan to be out of the hotel a lot - go it will be ideal.

If you actually enjoy staying around the hotel on an All Inclusive then in reality this hotel should be downgraded. The food is average, the decor is nice but the rooms (or mine) was literally falling apart and the entertainment was dire.

I am writing my official complaint to Thomas Cook with photos so we will see what happens.

• Stayed: June 2010
3  Thank Rachie79

Reviewed 15 June 2010

Stayed at the hotel early May. We booked this hotel thinking it was adult only only to find out that children were allowed however we were lucky and think we only saw two the whole of our stay.
Other reviews say the rooms are basic and yes I would say they are but they are kept so clean and you spend such little time in them does it matter.
I cant fault the hotel the staff were great and the food fantastic. There was never a night were I couldnt find something I liked to eat.
As for sunbeds it didnt matter what time you went to the pool you always had a choice of where you wanted to sit.
Overall I would go back in fact Im looking at early September, my only concern is working with Children five days a week I would prefer an adult only hotel. Such a shame they changed it.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

The first thing I will say is that anyone who can find fault with the food here must be impossible to please!
When we arrived, there were about six other couples and we thought we were in for a long wait as we ended up, typically, at the back of the queue to check in but surpisingly, it was all done in a couple of minutes. The staff are very friendly and all speak perfect English.
A word of warning, if you're given room 244, I'd advise you to ask to change. This was our first room and as soon as we walked in, we opened the balcony doors found we overlooked the waste ground and directly below was a skip, a few broken doors lying about and the overwhelming stench of drains was unbearable.
I went straight back to reception and asked if we could change rooms and explained why. The three receptionists were really nice about it and even apologised for having to charge us an extra 49 euros if we wanted to change to room 273 and I'm so glad we did; I'd say this room and the one directly above it were the best rooms (view wise) in the hotel. We had panoramic views which were unbelievable. I had read on the internet there was a supplement for rooms with a view so wasn't entirely surprised to have to pay but if you can, ask for room 273. It's at the end of a corridor so no 'noisy' guests running past at midnight or anything like that.
I'd say the food here was the best we've had in all inclusive. When we arrived, it was mid afternoon and we were told the restaurant was shut so would have to have a snack. The waiter, Gabor, showed us a menu to choose from and for a moment, we thought we had to explain we were all inclusive as he'd shown us the chargeable menu but no, he took our order then brought us out a plate full of freshly cooked chips, a toasted sandwich and fresh salad then took our drinks order.
A lot of all inclusives we've stayed at have snacks available but are mainly dodgy looking cold pizza and old chips in trays. You'll get none of that here- I think mainly because the meals are so plentiful, you just don't need to 'snack' in between.
Evening dinner is a posh affair. Men be warned if you're new to Cyprus - you wont be allowed into the restauarant without long trousers and they dont make any exceptions.
You're led to a table by one of the many waiters/waitresses who then take your drinks order and you help yourself to one of the many choices on offer. If you like chicken nuggets and chips for an evening meal, you won't get it here !
The dining room is lovely with fantastic views and the plates are cleared immediately. The staff are really friendly.
Talking of friendly staff, George springs to mind. He'll be doing the rounds by the pool taking your drinks order each day so you never even have to leave your sunbed if you dont want to!
With regards to the rooms, ours was lovely - nicely laminated floors, flat screen tv on the wall, fridge (and ours WAS cold), kettle (tea bages, milk and coffee replenished daily). The main let down was the bathroom, the shower in particular. It took ages to get the water temperature just right and it was a cheap and nasty shower head with a loose nail holding it up and the water pressure was rubbish but you can't have it all I suppose.
With regards to the area, we were a little disappointed with the coral bay strip. There were mainly restaurants and a few bars (Go see Elvis in The Millenium Bar, he's great) but we found any more than two visits in a week was a waste of time as there's not an awful lot there.
Cant really comment on the entertainment apart from the fact I think it starts too late. It was gone 10.15 most nights and we were knackered by then, due to the fact (I forgot this bit earlier) that the beds are so hard, I wasn't sleeping properly all week.
The hotel has plenty of areas to sit and enjoy a drink or three and the outside area in the evening is nice although can get a bit chilly when the sun goes down.
All in all, we had a lovely week and contrary to some other reviews, we only encountered three children all week but we did deliberately go a week AFTER the half term holiday.
Would we go again? Probably not but only because we can't see the point of returning to the same hotel and would rather experience other places instead.

Reviewed 14 June 2010

seems my review will be same as most of others. I enjoyed the weather, the food , the staff, the service , value for money. Could not fault it- but there were children there and the book of house rules in the bedroom says they are not allowed between April and October, so they havent even updated their own rules. I asked the receptionist waht the future policy was and she said they didnt know, and questionaires had been given out. I had aquestionaire given to me, but that wasnt one of the quesations. ! So i wrote on it that wouldnt return if children allowed. The place is too tranquil and unspoilt at present but that will all change if they change their policy. I am going to keep my eye out to see if they make a decision and if they do rule for adults only, i will definatly be back ! Special mention to George in the pool area and Matt the entertainair host.

2  Thank ladyred15595
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We have been going to this hotel for at least 5 years and have always enjoyed ourselves. We met people there and have been going away with them ever since. This time it was not as relaxing as it has been the years before as they have let children in. Not only this but some of the Wedding partys were very noisy and there was not a lot said to them to keep the noise down. There were eldery people holidaying and im sure this was not very nice for them. I would like to continue to holiday in this hotel as i have always enjoyed myself. The staff remember us from the years before and its like coming home again. If it changed back to Adults only we would be more than pleased to return. I think this hotel will lost a lot of money from holiday makers as a lot of people seem to return to the same place year after year, but if they still intend to have children there im sure they will find some where else to holiday.

Reviewed 9 June 2010

This was our third trip to Ascos and sadly will be our last. The hotel has now changed its policy and allows children to stay. We really enjoyed our first two visits - and yes it could do with being modernised and the food is a bit lacklustre, but the peace and quiet was wonderful and all the staff very helpful.

Reviewed 6 June 2010

tA very good value hotel -staff, food, cleanliness and comfort all of a high standard, in a delightful, tranquil location, away from the frenetic Paphos hotelsville - until the over-amplfied open-air entertainment took over on some evenings 'til midnight. So, if you're an early -to-bedder, avoid the poolview rooms. The hotel management were very accessible, and most helpful, but I suggest they have 2 problems to address:
1.Minor maintenance; we changed rooms twice, once for the above-mentioned noise, and there was no argument about us doing this. However, in one room the wardrobe door was jammed fast, in another a drawer knob was missing and in the third some peeling wallpaper. Individually, no big deals, but hardly 4* plus. A thorough room audit for such small works would pay off. And the bathrooms do need some equipment updating. 2.The major issue by far is the advertised "adults only " feature. This was instrumental in attracting us to this Hotel, as it seems to have been for many other guests when we were there, but with little or, in our case, no notice being given of the summary withdrawal of this feature.Unforunately, our visit coincided with UK half-term, and the arrival of quite an influx of young families. Many of us felt badly misled/cheated by this, and judging from comments around the beautiful pool, many otherwise intending returners to the Ascos Beach have decided to change their plans if the Hotel continues with this unsound policy. Actually, the Hotel doesn't offer much by way of child entertainment, other than the predictable small-scale activities; altho' it's right on the sea, there's no sand, only a heavy pebble beach, and sea swimming is not easy. Consequently, the youngsters can become a noisy feature in the pool.
This Hotel has all the attributes needed for an adults-only venue, and its management would do well to capitallise on these, for which I'm sure guests would be willing to pay a sensible premium. If they now introduce child activities, well they'll just become another family-orientated, of which Cyprus has too many.
We increasingly liked this Hotel during our stay; we'll certainly return, but absolutel only if the adults-only ruling is reintroduced - and guaranteed!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paphos
Crown Resorts Horizon
Aloe Hotel
Aloe Hotel
#54 of 85 in Paphos
Theo Sunset Bay Holiday Village

Been to Ascos Coral Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!