“Pleasant Surprise would re visit”

Aquamare Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #28 of 86 Hotels in Paphos
Preston, United Kingdom
“Pleasant Surprise would re visit”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked this as a last minute holiday thru Jet2. Very pleased with our choice. Paid €15 for room internet but no connection although not thru lacking of trying by reception staff who all were very good and friendly. They even replaced ipad charger plug free of charge. I think Cypriots are naturally reserved so perhaps that is why people has stated they were rude. Food was excellent value esp the evening meal in 7 days no repeat dishes. Bus stop very handy if you don't want to walk. The only gripe is no english tv stations as I would like it view news once a day. Next time I am taking a radio . All round quiet hotel out if town possibly not ideal with children more for adults

Room Tip: Choose sea view room 439 excellent on top floor sun till late evening
2 Thank Susan P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I were at the Aquamare Hotel 2/4/14------9/4/14. We were in Paphos for a family wedding. After reading some reviews, we weren't sure what to expect. What a lovely surprise we had, apart from the bed [very hard] everything was wonderful. All staff were very kind and helpful, rooms lovely and clean, fresh towels everyday. Breakfast was excellent, so much to choose from, and a big thankyou must go to Marina, such a lovely lady, and full of fun.We were on an bed and breakfast basis, but used the restaurant twice for our evening meal. Another good selection of tasty food, and again the staff were excellent.We liked the fact that the hotel was away from the town, and had lovely walks to the harbour, and sometimes used the local buses.We would recommend this hotel, and would visit again.

3 Thank ymh270
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Just returned from a week at the Aquamare hotel. When I first arrived it was late (10pm) and reception staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. I wasn't told where anything was or what I might find in the hotel (Swimming pool, breakfast times etc). I went to my room on the second floor and found the toilet seat was broken, there was pubic hair on the toilet and hair and some dirt in the shower/bath. The room was very dated, iron burn mark on the carpet and the TV had around 5 channels. I went back to reception about 25 mins after I checked in to ask if I could have a better room and was told rudely that I would have to come back tomorrow. I don't understand how they have people capable of checking you in but not able to simply change your room? This is the level of service you should expect. Not four star service, reception staff were always disinterested and a bit frosty and I didn't bother asking them for anything as I knew the answer would be rude and unhelpful. I asked at reception if I could have a bowl and fork and they looked at me as if it was the strangest request they had ever had and after a long conversation between themselves in Greek they told me to ask someone else. Over the 7 nights I stayed there I was very aware that the bed was not comfortable and the pillows were thin and tough. I had an inland view room which overlooked the car park, road and roundabout - which wasn't picturesque but the noise from the road wasn't a problem. On the plus side the hotel has 1 indoor and 1 outdoor pool (Plus little kids pool) and backs onto a beach - it's not for swimming or sunbathing on as it's rocky(not the hotels fault) and covered in a plants leaves that I've never seen before. The hotels either side of Aquamare looked really nice and I would probably stay at one of them instead if I was going to return to Paphos. I wouldn't return to Aquamare if they paid me. They need to learn the difference between a very basic 2-3 star hotel and a 4 star hotel. Also the foyer/lobby would be very busy with people in the evenings as there was no internet in the rooms, no decent TV(Just 5ish channels BBC world, CNN, Russia today, German news) and the hotel is a 10 minute bus ride from town so little to do in the hotel once it was dark outside. Breakfast had a wide variety of stuff (breads, meats, cheeses, yogurt, fruit, English breakfast trimmings) but it was the same every day so after 7 days you found yourself board. The spa area looks good but the prices for treatments are more than you would want to pay and they didn't tell you if the hot tub etc was free for guests to use. Also the hotel has a lot of rules around what clothing you can wear in which specific areas of the hotel and there are signs telling you what is "forbidden" etc. Not a relaxing, welcoming, holiday making experience. I booked through British Airways and expected them to vet the hotels claiming to be 4 stars so was very dissapointed by the cheap, dated and unfriendly feel of Aquamare. I would advise anyone to not stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors (3-4) seaview room if possible. I had inland view of the road and roundabout.
5 Thank Ben L
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week. Although it looks initially nice, staff is unhelpful ( no explanation about services etc on arrival) and looks bored most of the time. ( except Marina who is always cheerful at breakfast!) The rooms are avarage, but beds quite hard and terrible pillows. Pool and facilities are nice but breakfast isn't exactly amazing and after a few days got tired of the same pastries and bacon on toast.

Overall the place feels a bit outdated, but it was a nice stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maurice D
Gravesend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Stayed for a week for a wedding that was down the road. When we first entered the hotel, it looked very nice however the staff were not that welcoming at the reception and did not tell us about all the facilities and services available at the hotel.

The housemaids and the restaurant staff were nice especially Marina.

However the general manager at the time of the visit was very rude. My sister had put up her feet on the sofas in the lobby and he snapped his fingers and told her to put her feet down. We understood that we should not be putting our feet up but it was the way he snapped his fingers like we were below him. We finally confronted him in an assertive manner and said this was very rude to snap fingers. He started shouting and was very arrogant and treating us like we were from the streets. We have paid for a service and this is how the general manager treats us!!

His attitude was reflected in the reception staff on how unfriendly and boring they were. This hotel is all about looking good but no friendly atmosphere.

Majority of our time was spent at Louis Ledra hotel down the road where the rest of our family were staying. The service was amazing and friendly at Louis Ledra.

Room Tip: Choose only if you want to be in an unfriendly atmosphere!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Komel K
Merseyside, England
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel, in a great position. We arrived on 24th February and were given a room which was marketed as a sea-view on the ground floor, but wasn't. It overlooked a courtyard with an outside bar, which wasn't open yet for the season, but you could not view the sea for the trees. I'm sure if we'd have been in the same area on a higher floor, then we would have had a great view!!

The rooms and bathroom are lovely, quite spacious and very clean. The beds though are awful hard, and the pillows also. I slept fitfully all week.

The food was great, plentiful and very tasty. There was lots of choice at breakfast and dinner. The Omelettes made to order were always fab. My only problem was when we arrived at the hotel at 9:45 we had missed dinner and there was nothing laid on for us, even though we had paid for 7 nights. There was a small bottle of water on our fridge between us, and we had to settle a bag crisps each that we purchased from the bar. As we arrived at a similar time last year when stayed at the Aliathon Village there was food laid on for late arrivals, so I expected the same here. We were sadly disappointed! We were given lunch instead, which we chose to have on our last day, bad decision as it was the start of a special Greek Holiday when nationals don't eat any meat or dairy products. The food selection was very reduced. There was squid and octopus without any batter, which was tasteless and overly chewy. No bread, just a special tahini bread which was an acquired taste. Salads, no fries. Desserts without any dairy. There had been a wedding on the previous night, when lots of Cypriot people stayed over, and I noticed that the large table of Cypriot people were offered king prawns at lunch whereas we were not. There was only our table of two and the their long table. I mentioned it to the waiter and he seemed embarrassed, but it was too late by then as we'd finished eating. The only bad meal we had during our stay, pity it was our last before departing for the flight home.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel, but would recommend you take food with you in case you arrive after 9:30pm and if you don't like hard pillows take your own with you. If the hotel could sort out these two issues Id have given 4.5 stars out 5.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed for a week in room 219 which has a sea view and equally importantly a sunset view, as do all of the odd numbered rooms. Hotel is in the 'tourist area' east of paphos, about a 40 minute walk to the harbour along the seaside path. As transfers weren't included in our deal I arranged a hire car from the airport through Atlas and their preferred supplier Thrifty car hire. The cost for a weeks hire was about the same as having return taxi (60 euro).

Hotel room had a smallish tv and as other reviewers have said only a very small number of english speaking channels. To increase our choice we took a laptop and paid the 15 euro charge for in room internet availability - access was good enough to allow live streaming.

Early in the season I know but hotel entertainment was minimal - a singer on saturday and a bar which was sedate - obviously you can travel into Paphos if you are after something more.
Staff are generally very friendly and helpful - a couple of individuals on front desk a little frosty but counteracted by the wonderful Marina who was a little ray of sunshine - she asked me to pass on her thanks to other reviewers who had mentioned her.

Food was very good - substantial range at breakfast and a different theme each night at the buffet dinner.

Gym good by hotel standards with a range of equipment and freeweights, indoor pool heated but outdoors was still a little arctic at this time of year. Hotel is right on the beach which is small and sandy - taking crocs would be a good idea as its quite rocky on entering the water.

Coral beach and the mosaics at paphos harbour worth a visit if you want to go out and about, 4.50 euro entry for the latter but worth it if you have a cloudy day.

Room Tip: stayed in 219 which had a sea and sunset view - all odd numbered rooms will deliver the same - even...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple