“Ignore the negative reviews”

Aquamare Beach Hotel & Spa
Ranked #27 of 88 Hotels in Paphos
Keighley, United Kingdom
“Ignore the negative reviews”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We are at this hotel now, I was a little put off by the reviews before we came, so to put your minds at rest if you are coming here I will tell you about the positives about this hotel, the staff are all very friendly and polite, you get a safe in your room at no extra cost, our room is large and there is a bath and shower, we have constant hot water and the pressure from the shower is superb, rooms cleaned daily and clean towels every day, you get free beach towels to use and you can change these daily, breakfast is the same choice every day but there is so much choice you can have something different every day, the location is great, at the quiet end of paphos but also near enough to walk to the nearby bars and restaurants, of which there are many. The reception area and the nektar bar are well kept and clean. If you use the spa the elemis treatments are amazing and they are the same prices as back in England. The bus stop is just outside the hotel and the number 611 to paphos harbour passes every 10 mins, at €1.50 each way it is worth catching the bus, the walk is do able along the beach front but in the heat it can be a bit much for the elderly or young children. We are bed and breakfast so cannot comment about the evening meal but the snacks from the pool bar and nektar bar are very good. There is free WI-FI in the lobby or you can pay €15 for it everywhere, we have not had any trouble with getting on the network. The pool area is clean and there are plenty of sun beds, there are grass areas too, the beach is being cleaned as we speak. I cannot think of a negative, we have been here since last weds and have had nothing to complain about, we would certainly return.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view or partial sea view
9 Thank Alidodds1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
UK
Reviewed 22 April 2014

This hotel bills itself as, "Pure luxury and elegance, attention to details and impressive facilities at Aquamare hotel, Paphos". And, although the public areas such as the lobby are quite impressive, nothing could be further from the truth. This is a basic 3* hotel masquerading as something grander.

On arrival, I checked in with quite a lot of luggage and two small children. No-one offered to help with my bags, instead I was left to struggle to find the room by myself and take all of my bags. This was despite there being 3 staff at reception not doing an awful lot. A 'pure luxury' hotel would have ensured that getting to my room (down in a lift and through 2 sets of double doors) was effortless.

I had booked a sea view family suite. The room was on the ground floor, next to the breakfast restaurant - there was a sea view but not quite the one I imagined! It was large and fairly clean, which is about as enthusiastic as I can be about it. The beds were hell. There was no level of comfort at all. The sofa bed was awful - a mattress so thin that you could feel every spring underneath. As others have said, the main beds were terribly hard, as were the pillows. The TV was so rubbish that after checking out the stations, I didn't bother turning it on for the rest of the week. The wifi I paid 15 euro for only worked on my patio and not in my room,

The pool bar was lovely. And the food at lunch was very good. as was the service. Breakfast and dinner were sadly another matter entirely. Food quality was generally poor although the selection usually quite good. I know the first night I had dinner there I felt utterly depressed - beef stroganof with near unpalatable beef, eaten in a hot, crowded dining room. Aquamare is missing a trick with that restaurant - it could be lovely with stunning views out to sea, but instead it is dank and dour with net curtains obscuring the views. The breakfast restaurant is actually much more attractive.

The pool area was quite pleasant, but the sun beds were very uncomfortable. And the pool was FREEZING! Surely any 'luxury' hotel would have its pools heated in April?? And although the hotel is beach front, the beach it faces is never one you would use - it's very untidy and rocky.

A couple of staff members were nice - Marina at breakfast, the lady in the little shop and a bar man at the pool bar, but most others were perfunctory at best. When I checked out I wasn't even asked if we'd had a nice stay (perhaps they had guessed?!).

I was so looking forward to this holiday and paid a premium for it. And so I felt incredibly disappointed by the hotel, its level of comfort, its facilities and its location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Rinders
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Having read reviews of previous guests have to say that I found reception staff very helpful. started off with ground floor room but complained to reception and were changed to sea view on 1st floor next morning. I personally did not find bed hard, as others have said.
Enjoyed food, soup was always hot and tasty and always good selection.
think some of the beds round pool could do with renewing. Would strongly recommend buying a weekly bus pass as it soon pays.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Janet M
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Booked this as a last minute holiday thru Jet2. Very pleased with our choice. Paid €15 for room internet but no connection although not thru lacking of trying by reception staff who all were very good and friendly. They even replaced ipad charger plug free of charge. I think Cypriots are naturally reserved so perhaps that is why people has stated they were rude. Food was excellent value esp the evening meal in 7 days no repeat dishes. Bus stop very handy if you don't want to walk. The only gripe is no english tv stations as I would like it view news once a day. Next time I am taking a radio . All round quiet hotel out if town possibly not ideal with children more for adults

Room Tip: Choose sea view room 439 excellent on top floor sun till late evening
2 Thank Susan P
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I were at the Aquamare Hotel 2/4/14------9/4/14. We were in Paphos for a family wedding. After reading some reviews, we weren't sure what to expect. What a lovely surprise we had, apart from the bed [very hard] everything was wonderful. All staff were very kind and helpful, rooms lovely and clean, fresh towels everyday. Breakfast was excellent, so much to choose from, and a big thankyou must go to Marina, such a lovely lady, and full of fun.We were on an bed and breakfast basis, but used the restaurant twice for our evening meal. Another good selection of tasty food, and again the staff were excellent.We liked the fact that the hotel was away from the town, and had lovely walks to the harbour, and sometimes used the local buses.We would recommend this hotel, and would visit again.

3 Thank ymh270
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Just returned from a week at the Aquamare hotel. When I first arrived it was late (10pm) and reception staff were unfriendly and unhelpful. I wasn't told where anything was or what I might find in the hotel (Swimming pool, breakfast times etc). I went to my room on the second floor and found the toilet seat was broken, there was pubic hair on the toilet and hair and some dirt in the shower/bath. The room was very dated, iron burn mark on the carpet and the TV had around 5 channels. I went back to reception about 25 mins after I checked in to ask if I could have a better room and was told rudely that I would have to come back tomorrow. I don't understand how they have people capable of checking you in but not able to simply change your room? This is the level of service you should expect. Not four star service, reception staff were always disinterested and a bit frosty and I didn't bother asking them for anything as I knew the answer would be rude and unhelpful. I asked at reception if I could have a bowl and fork and they looked at me as if it was the strangest request they had ever had and after a long conversation between themselves in Greek they told me to ask someone else. Over the 7 nights I stayed there I was very aware that the bed was not comfortable and the pillows were thin and tough. I had an inland view room which overlooked the car park, road and roundabout - which wasn't picturesque but the noise from the road wasn't a problem. On the plus side the hotel has 1 indoor and 1 outdoor pool (Plus little kids pool) and backs onto a beach - it's not for swimming or sunbathing on as it's rocky(not the hotels fault) and covered in a plants leaves that I've never seen before. The hotels either side of Aquamare looked really nice and I would probably stay at one of them instead if I was going to return to Paphos. I wouldn't return to Aquamare if they paid me. They need to learn the difference between a very basic 2-3 star hotel and a 4 star hotel. Also the foyer/lobby would be very busy with people in the evenings as there was no internet in the rooms, no decent TV(Just 5ish channels BBC world, CNN, Russia today, German news) and the hotel is a 10 minute bus ride from town so little to do in the hotel once it was dark outside. Breakfast had a wide variety of stuff (breads, meats, cheeses, yogurt, fruit, English breakfast trimmings) but it was the same every day so after 7 days you found yourself board. The spa area looks good but the prices for treatments are more than you would want to pay and they didn't tell you if the hot tub etc was free for guests to use. Also the hotel has a lot of rules around what clothing you can wear in which specific areas of the hotel and there are signs telling you what is "forbidden" etc. Not a relaxing, welcoming, holiday making experience. I booked through British Airways and expected them to vet the hotels claiming to be 4 stars so was very dissapointed by the cheap, dated and unfriendly feel of Aquamare. I would advise anyone to not stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors (3-4) seaview room if possible. I had inland view of the road and roundabout.
5 Thank Ben L
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a week. Although it looks initially nice, staff is unhelpful ( no explanation about services etc on arrival) and looks bored most of the time. ( except Marina who is always cheerful at breakfast!) The rooms are avarage, but beds quite hard and terrible pillows. Pool and facilities are nice but breakfast isn't exactly amazing and after a few days got tired of the same pastries and bacon on toast.

Overall the place feels a bit outdated, but it was a nice stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple