“Wouldnt recommend for families with children!!!!”

Daphne Hotel Apartments
Ranked #78 of 84 Hotels in Paphos
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 weeks in June 2014 (literally got home 2 3 days ago).
When we arrived I was so pleased with the location, it is ideal. Surrounded by places to eat and drink, theres a huge supermarket around the corner which has fantastic offers on like buy 1 get 1 free, half price etc etc. There are 3 pubs Flanings, The Rose and Players. 2 ice cream shops and at the bottom of the road is the sea front which is just beautiful.
Our room was 203, 2 bedroomed and ground floor not too far from the pool which was great as we have 3 children, the living room/dining area was huge. But the furniture is so so dated, it just ridiculous.
Bare in mind there is 5 of us, There was a huge table - with 4 chairs, 1 was broken.
Then 2 armchair type chairs.
What would be a very small sofa had been turned into a bed for 1 of my children, this too was broken and very unstable. The tv had 1 channel - bbc world news which was so blurred and crackled due to the dodgy connection.
Having 3 little 1s and nowhere to sit and chill with their dvds or games meant they spent that time in their bedroom - not what we went on holiday for.
We went self catering as we feel it is easier, but it was pointless. There was an oven type thing the size of a microwave with 2 hobs on the top and the centre was supposed to be a grill which had no rack or tray inside for you to put food on to cook it - so it couldnt be used. We had 1 small pan, big enough to fill with 2 pints of water. Then a huge pan that I would use to cook a stew: it was massive. I actually think it had been taken from the hotel kitchen.
We had 8 tiny cups with saucers, 8 wine glasses, and 1 glass tumbler so I had to buy the children some plastic cups to drink from. We had 15 dinner plates, no small plates, and no bowls which was an absolute nightmare. We had 5 forks, 1 dessert spoon, 7 knives and 2 tea spoons and NO kettle. So, even if we did want to eat at the apartment we didnt have the facilities, however even if we did the smell from the cupboards was so vile it turned your stomach and instantly put you off. Oh, I forgot to mention the fridge - you had to kick the bottom to make sure it shut properly.
We ended up eating out twice a day which cost a fortune.
Our room was right opposite the kitchen, be aware that the cook smokes in the kitchen and we witnessed her serving up meals with a cigarette in her hand.
There was a blocked drain or something outside the kitchen that had overflowed so there was water with a white, slimey consistancy all over the path and the smell was like rotting bins and there are a lot of stray cats who sit outside the kitchen and are fed by the staff.
The hotel in general was clean, and cleaners did come in to our room 10 days out of 14, but I would have to pull the sheets off the bed or they wouldnt get changed. We had clean towels pretty much every other day, as well as fresh bins. In fact, the cleaning staff were so lovely. They would even put the chilrens shoes in a row and their teddys and comfort blankets on their pillow. Really sweet and the kids loved it.
But I cant help thinking that they came into our room so often because of the cockroches and the fact that they knew we had little ones!!!
Yes! You read correctly. I lost count of how,many my husband had to kill. And we werent the only 1s. We spoke to 4 different families, all had infestations in their room. 3 times pest control were at the hotel.
The kitchen sink would block everytime the tap was poured and all the dirt come up into the sink. I did notify the staff 5 times but it wasnt fixed.

The pool area is lovely. There are plenty of sunbeds, little tables, parasols, none of which need to be hired. The childrens pool is perfect of little ones aged up to 5. The big pool had a deep end of 2.40 meters so I was a nervous wreck about the children and be aware that the swallow end turns deep very suddenly. There is also a little swing and slide suitable for toddlers.
We tended to eat out in the morning, spend the afternoon by the pool then go out in the evenings so I cant really comment on the sraff, those we did see were very polite. The only lady I had dealungs with was the stuck up 1 who works on reception. We returned to our room 1 night to find my 5 year olds comfort blanket had gone. The only explanation was that the cleaners had accidently taken it when changing the bed. My little boy was so sad and to put his mind at ease I went to ask that reception could ask the cleaners could check their laundry in the morning. The receptionist was rude and abrupt and felt the need to make the situation worse by telling me the blanket had probably gone with the laundry company.
Cue heartbroken 5 year old in absolute tears!!!
The next morning at 8.30 we returned to reception to ask if the cleaners had, had a chance to look. It was the same receptionist as the previous evening, who was thrilled to see us, sent a cleaner off then turned to me and said 'wait there, if she find it she will bring it'.
Luckily, it was found and the cleaning staff were full of apologies and cuddles for my little boy, again they are all so lovely.
The hotel is right opposite The Rose Pub, it seemed to be the main place people from London met up, we're not but we met some fab people in there. You need to be aware that they have loud music on pretty much every night. The hotel rooms go along the pool area then around the back of the reception/bar in an L shape. If you get a room along the pool side you will not get to sleep before 1/2am because the music is so so loud. We were behind the main building and could still hear it, and to the back of us was a hotel or bar that also had very loud mucis and entertainment. So be aware of that.

You're probably wondering why I didnt complain. No facilities to cook or eat, cockroches, noisy. Well I will be honest..... A lady above us had an infestation of cockroches which was so so bad, she complained twice and as a result the receptionist was appauling to her and the cleaners stopped going into her rooms, she was ignored for the rest of her stay. So I kept quiet because of the children.

I wouldnt stay here again and I wouldnt recommend the hotel for families with children.
Ive seen reviews saying 'you get what you pay for' but I didnt pay to go to a hotel so poor with no cooking or eating facilities full of cockroches, ants and all the stray cats of paphos! The hotel seemed to be used by people attending weddings so 2 nights max or Squadies on leave for the weekend. Its not really a hotel suitable for a 2 week holiday at all.
If you have an evening flight like we did it is 5 euros per hour to keep your room.

I would recommend a boat trip, the glass bottom boats and the pirate ship are fantastic for children.
The Players bar opposite the pub is amazing, it has 8 tvs all showing a different sport, connect 4 and jenga for the chikdren, free popcorn and lite bites to eat which are very cheap.
Flanigans, next door to The Rose pub, is a kareoke bar of an evening. The staff are bloody lovely, the food is gorgeous and so reasonable.
Be aware that the further down the harber you go, the more expensive meals become and for every place to eat that you walk past - the staff will ask hassle you to go in. It becomes annoying.
Paphos itself is beautiful. The Daphne is a dump!
Avoid!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank mumof3tiddlers

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Booked for two days to visit family,
We were shown to filthy room bottom floor looking onto car park torn dirty curtains dusty broken bed slept on top as mattress was disgusting.
Fluorescent lights in living room felt like we had been dumped into an old store room hot water yes in shower but not attached to wall properly.
Only time in Cyprus I did not feel safe
TV didn't work complained about lights not working in bedroom they replaced a bulb but we were left with the filth and omg never ever again

Room Tip: I never had the opportunity to see one
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel / apartments are in a Great Location but unfortunately the rooms are much in need of some TLC !!! The apartment we stayed in was very basic taps on kitchen sink we're moving not enough cutlery cups bowls etc if we were to have cereal for our breakfast we would have to take turns and there was only 2 of us !!!
Kitchen area 1 plug socket so if you used the toaster the kettle could not be used so we were using the front room area as a second kitchen !!
These apartments could be fantastic if there was some TLC ADDED TO ALL THE ROOMS WE WERE IN ROOM 303

Room Tip: Great location but room is very basic
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2014

My parents (both retired), my aunt and I booked for a fortnight from 5th to 19th May despite having seen several dodgy reviews on here, figuring that you get what you pay for and at this kind of price if you were expecting the Hilton then you're a fool. Not being the types to spend all our time in our accommodation all we really wanted was a comfortable bed with clean sheets, a decent shower and the ability to brew up, prepare meals if we felt like it and keep a fridge stocked with cold drinks. From the minute we arrived we were made incredibly welcome, plated meals had been saved for us due to our arrival time and Olga confirmed that they had received our note requesting a pool view and as quiet as possible but that the two didn't go together so she had allocated us the pool view apartments we had paid for and we could see how we got on. The apartments are spacious, a bit dated but obviously being refurbished and are well equipped and clean. Yes, the sheets are a little thin and the towels a little old but they're clean, changed regularly and in plentiful supply, so what's the problem? The shower was the best I've ever had in Europe - no wishy washy dripping thing to be found here - plenty of power, plenty of hot water, absolutely fabulous! Being so early in the season only the breakfast was buffet style and offered sliced meats, tomatoes, cucumber and cheese, fried eggs, bacon, baked beans, boiled eggs and sausages, four kinds of cereal, orange juice, sliced bread, toast, white and brown bread rolls, butter and preserves and of course a hot drinks dispenser catering for every version of tea or coffee. The staff keep it all topped up and if anything runs out then all you need do is ask. Being of the fussy type when it comes to apricot jam we bought a jar from the Papantoniou supermarket just round the corner and when we forgot it and left it behind on the table the staff kept it for us. The evening meal was plated and served but will obviously become buffet style when the hotel is sufficiently occupied as we discovered when the Hungarian Rugby Team came to stay. We can recommend the moussaka, the stifado and the pastitsio. If you're not half board we can highly recommend some nearby restaurants - particularly Christos Steak House (not for steaks, bizarrely enough) but for traditional Greek and Cypriot dishes available on an extremely reasonable set menu, Demokritos for Meze and other traditional dishes and if you want something more familiar then the Royale does a set menu at a reasonable price that includes such things as fish and chips and crème caramel as well as Greek dishes. The Papantoniou supermarket is more than worth a visit, the traditional Cypriot loaf which you can grab warm in the morning is 70 cents for a small (and I wouldn't call it small!), the feta and sliced meats from the deli counter are incredibly reasonable, the fruit and veg is fantastic and there's a small upright display refrigerator by the bread counter that has the most amazing individual dessert pots in it priced at not much more than a euro each. And if you're one that likes your familiar products even when you're away then there is no need to bring it with you, they have everything from PG Tips to HP Sauce. After a few days we decided that although we loved our poolside view the noise from the bar was getting us down and Olga happily moved us without any question, offering us several alternatives. We no longer had the lovely view but the added distance from the Rose Pub was worth it and again the apartments were well equipped, clean, etc, etc. The pool is lovely and a major sun trap but we didn't spend many days around it, preferring to get the bus to the beach (the bus station is only a short walk away and a weekly ticket is 15 euro and gives you unlimited journeys so is well worth the money). Don't get off at the first one, stay on until you get to the second one where the bus pulls into a car park with bus spaces marked on the tarmac next to the Corallia Beach Apartments - this is by far the nicer beach and has all the facilities you'll need. The bar at the Daphne is mostly operated by Marios-in-the-evening, Marios-in-the-morning sharing reception duties with Olga, and Costa filling in all over the place. Be warned, Marios-in-the-evening makes fantastic cocktails and the happy hour is pretty extended! Mickey is usually to be found in the kitchen or running to and from the dining room with extra food, bless her, and no, it is NOT Sergio Aguero who is cleaning the pool and trimming the trees, it's apparently Andrea. Keeping the whole place running is Mr Stavros who kindly taught me some more Greek - te kanis Mr Stavros? These lovely folks quite literally will bend over backwards to help you, whether you want help booking your return transfer, advice on hiring a car, pointing in the right direction to get to the best sights, whatever you need, they will do their utmost to help you out so don't be shy, just ask! And once they realise you're not the them-and-us-you're-the-servants-we're-the-customers type (and there were a couple of those about whilst we were there) they're more than happy to chat, pass the time of day and have a laugh with you - Costa (whilst sporting an injury apparently down to surfing which I questioned him about) told me with a twinkle in his eye that this was due to Marios-in-the-evening beating him up and Marios-in-the-morning got some serious mileage out of the fact that Dad was on holiday with three women and totally outnumbered! They're a really lovely crowd of people and will do all they can to make your stay enjoyable. All in all I would recommend the apartments to anyone wanting budget accommodation right in the centre of things whilst still offering amenities such as a pool and a bar, with full self catering facilities as well as a half board option and quite honestly some of the best staff I have ever come across. If you're the night owl types and likely to be out late most evenings then request the pool view apartments. If you'll want to be in bed and asleep prior to midnight then ask to be situated away from the Rose Pub. Hope you have a fantastic time, we did!

Room Tip: If you're the night owl types and likely to be out late most evenings then request the pool view...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank KathrynAnn73
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We spent two nights there from 15-17th May 2014 in room 302. It's a cosy apartment on the groung level with a small living room, kitchen (with fridge and cooker), nice size bedroom and bathroom. Two terraces open to the garden with a middle-size, clean swimming pool. The apartment was cleaned every day (with towels changed) but the walls were dirty in some parts and the wardrobe was old. The beds were ok. We had full board on buffet table, I think it was a real value for money. For breakfast there was full English breakfast plus Cyprian specialities: dips and salads, which were all great. There was fresh salad and fruit every time. The service was excellent, when a plate was getting empty, there was immediate change. The staff was very helpful. The sea was a corner away, you can get in the sea on steps. There is a huge supermarket a corner away, but with the food we got in the hotel, we couldn't didn't feel like eating anyfrom there. There's wifi in the hotel lobby, you have to pay 3 euros for an hour use on the computers. The people staying in were a mix.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank andreagulyas
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Erom the minute we arrived late in the evening we were given a warm welcome and we felt at home. As i see the previos reviews were not not very complementary but as i remeber they were seemed miserable anyway and nothing would be eight for them professional moaners.Well we had a wonderful time thanks to Marios 1 Marios 2 Stavos Olga Costa and the rest of the staff. We stayed in a ground floor studio which was fine it was clean and all facilities worked well. It is a good grade hotel apartments and if you want 5 star accommodation then you best go there and pay 5 times as much and perhaps not enjoy yourself as much.We stayed half board and the food was excellent they have a new chef and we were served a choice of Cypriot dishes, breakfast was simple but good.
Thank you Daphne for given us a nice holiday by the the way there were people staying there for 8 weeks and do it 2 or 3 times a year so that speaks for its self..

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MurielandPaul
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I had a brilliant time in the daphne and come atleast twice a year. The staff are super friendly and very accomadating. The hotel is being done up and is looking fantastic. It's close to everything and there is lots to do around. Marios and Adonis are brilliant with the guest and when we lost our door key did all they could to help. When we returned from bar street worse for wear Adonis made sure we made it to our room safely. Couldn't say anything bad about this hotel good quality for money. Service outstanding.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends