“Ok for some but maybe not for everyone”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Melini Apartments

Melini Apartments
newcastle
“Ok for some but maybe not for everyone”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Everything was fine for us at the melini. we stayed self catering for one week starting from the 15th september 2013. the apartments were spacious and clean. the maid service was great too. We were concerned when we first arrived because rockerfellers bar is right outside and they had some loud karaoke going on till about 12:30am. this was fine for us as we were normally in later than that, but if you have young children it might not be ideal. my only other gripe was that the swimming pool/sunbathing isnt the biggest and as the day goes on the shadow from the hotel makes the sunbathing area smaller and smaller. apart from that we enjoyed our stay at the melini

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Craigavon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 September 2013

central location; very clean and tidy; staff very friendly and helpful
Can be noisy with nearby bars but that is to be expected
excellent food in the Island Restaurant
Excellent ice cream @ Chillz - not to be missed @ 1.50 euro, an array of flavours to sample and they let you taste before you buy
Only down side is payment for air conditioning and rooms could do with some modernisation
We went with our 2 teenage children and they both enjoyed Cyprus, although no entertainment at apartments, there was other things to entertain them within Protaras and Ayia Napia.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Newtyle
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Just back from Cyprus and stayed at the Melini Apart hotel in Protaras .Be warned this hotel is in much need of updating we were hughely disappointed as I booked this for my wife's 50th as a surprise, I asked for a high balcony with a sea view I got room seven which is at the back at ground level...! our view was a patch of grass and a rubbish tip to our right with a nice constant smell of sewage from the water hoses they used to water the grass....!!! I will say though that the pool area and chillz bar and restaurant were good.The rockafellas pub next door can get loud but that is expected as the apartments are right in the middle of the ' strip '. If you want nice cheap food use the cheers bar opposite. I would use again if I was guaranteed what I was promised.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
walsall
Reviewed 10 September 2013

we got back from cyprus last wed first time that we stayed at the melini what can i say well on first glance i thought it looked nice the lobby was nice and tidy and the english receptionist was nice cant say much about the other one when we got to our room it was very dated remined me of something my nan would of had when she first got married we was on the second floor and the excuse for a balcony was a joke although they fitted a table and two chairs on it there was no room to relax and if you did sit down you couldnt see over the balcony wall was more like been in a prison cell even though it was clean the bathroom was a joke as well no room to swing a cat we had a shower but that was so small kept knocking the shampoo off the so called shelf on my toe which was painful as it was a full bottle the pool was nice and did mainly get sun beds most of the time the location was brillant right on the main strip only ate at island affair once wasnt our cup of tea we had most of our meals at the cheers bar down the road very nice and lovely staff and not bad prices we went with our son who was in our room and the daughter grandson and her partner they had a great room on the fourth floor there balcony was lovely more like a penthouse dont think. we would stay there again unless there was some major updates .

Room Tip: ask for fourth floor room 407
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank sapwalsall
Nottingham
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Just back from a weeks stay at The Melini in Protaras. I stayed in room 309 with my husband and 3 children. Good points is that it has a huge balcony (not that we used it much as the rooms weren't worthy of anything other than sleeping in) and that's the good points about the room over... wasn't cleaned properly and had urine stains all over the bathroom doors and walls (takes 2 mins to wipe them). 100 euros went missing from our room on day 3 and the reception didn't give a damn about it when we mentioned it and if you want to sleep before 3am then I wouldn't stay here as Rockafellas has music blaring till around 2:30am every night.
The pool is 1.5 metres deep all the way round so the kids couldn't go in without armbands on and the baby pool is freezing cold (and filthy) although the big pool was cleaned regularly. We never failed to get sunbeds around the pool, it wasn't a problem at all. The pool does have some sharp tiles at the bottom and a few people (including some of our party hurt their feet on them) and the tiles don't join at the edge of pool either so my daughter got her swimming costume stuck in the gap and took several people to free it. The pool also shades over between 3:30 and 4pm, so that's maybe a good time to hit the beach as it goes extremely chilly.
Chillz Ice cream parlour serve the best ice cream in Protaras and it is attached to the hotel only 1.50 euro for a huge scoop on a cone and the Island affair bar and restaurant at the hotel served lovely food (try the chicken kebab in greek pitta and you will not be dissapointed) was run by some lovely south african sisters. There are no activities for children to do day or night and no entertainment for them either in the evenings, I found the whole of protaras to be very anti children and I see it as being more of a holiday destination for adults.
All in all I wouldn't return to this hotel or even this part of the island, the people were rude, racist and ignorant, if I return to Cyprus again I will definitely only be going back to Paphos. There are no activities for children to do day or night and no entertainment for them either in the evenings, I found the whole of Protaras to be very anti children and I see it as being more of a holiday destination for adults.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at Melini Apartments! There were 2 rooms with a kitchenette in our apt and a long balcony overlooking the pool and the sea. The rooms aren't small, and in the kitchenette there's a microwave, an electric stove, a fridge and a toaster, so we actually never had breakfast outside, for we had everything we needed in our room) as for the products, you can buy them at BestBuy supermarket which is located within 1 minute walk from the hotel.
The furniture is not old but it's not modern either. Our double bed consisted of two beds on wheels that occasionaly moved one from the other, that wasn't very comfortable.

The room was cleaned daily but they change linen once in 3 days.
If you need an iron or a hair-dryer, you'd better take yours from home. I didn't take my hair-dryer and I regretted it because there's none in the rooms and you'll have to borrow it from the reception desk and then return it. Luckily, it was almost always available! it was only once that it had been taken and the receptionist dialed that room number and it was brought to me when they didn't need it anymore.

The staff was friendly and helpful. The receptionist kindly lent us an extension cord, so we didn't have to buy it. For the Russians: they don't speak Russian there, so if you don't know English well, at least brush up on numbers from 0 to 10 in English, so you'll be able to leave and later ask for your room key at the reception desk.

The air-conditioner works fine but it only functions in one room at a time.

In the bathroom there's only soap, so make sure you take your shampoo and other stuff, for it's not provided there.

The wi-fi is only available at the lobby.

The pool is quite large and there're small waterfalls in the corners, it all looks very cute and ensures relaxing swim) There're always vacant sunbeds and during the day cocktails cost 2,5 euros at the pool bar.

The hotel is close to the beach - about 3-minutes walk, and it's considered to be the best beach in the area (Fig Tree Bay). It's sandy, the water is crystal clear and warm. Sunbeds cost 2,5 euro.

All in all, staying at this hotel was a lovely experience and if I ever go back to Protaras, I'll stay again at this hotel with pleasure!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank OlgaMinchina
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

have stayed here several times we are due back shortly, always had 2 bed apartment excellent, this time we are going on our own so have 1 bed apt, have even mentioned to friends they going back for their second visit too, its in a great location, Island Affair is their restaurant next door and very good too and for the entertainment look no further than Rockerfellows also the otherside all connected to Melini all family run and opp beach what more do you want appts are always well cleaned and everything you want too, reception is manned 24hours too all helpful staff too

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family