“Basic but a bit tatty in Polis”

Mariela Hotel Apartments
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Polis
Chester, United Kingdom
“Basic but a bit tatty in Polis”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This hotel is decent value in Polis. The location is only a short walk from Polis centre and about 20 minutes from Polis beach. Latchi which has a marina and some bars and restaurants around it is a bit nicer but a bit further to walk, half an hour or so and you can walk along the beach or road. Latsi has a nicer beach.
The hotel rooms are basic and it looks like it’s in need of a bit of some repairs. Fittings are old and a bit tatty.
The rooms are a good size for two but I would imagine an apartment with four might be a bit cosy after a couple of nights.
The breakfast was basic but reasonable with eggs freshly cooked.
There is parking on site and it’s free.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pickworth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Longfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This is one of the best hotels in Cyprus, Pambos and Eleni are great the food is great and they cant do enough for you, it is greatly located not far from Latchi the local area has some great sights the hotel/Apartments are spotlessly clean. 2014 will be our 5th visit and we return every year if possible.

Room Tip: poolside rooms
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Stephen_HS8083WG
manchester
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My partner and I stayed here with for a week in October. The first thing I would point out is that the accommodation is what I would describe as fairly 'rustic' but clean and spacious. However, if absolute luxury is not essential for you then this is a good bet and excellent value.

After a long flight we were warmly welcomed at 11.30 p.m. with a free drink and some lovely cake and then shown to our room. This was one of the only slight disappointments: we had asked for an apartment as we like 2 rooms but were given a large studio but we got the sun all day and it was so spacious that we decided to stay where we were rather than request an apartment (we had asked for a pool facing room shortly before we arrived so this might explain this). We only had breakfast at the Mariela twice as we like to eat in the apartment and not to have to get up for a specific time. The breakfast is only 4 Euros (5 if you have a cooked breakfast) and good value if rather basic.

The pool area was the most tranquil I have ever enjoyed on a holiday: there were no children at the accommodation at all and obviously this is a complete pro or con depending on your own preference! There are 2 pools and both were very cold but pleasant enough once you had braved it and swum a couple of lengths. The rooms are cleaned and beds changed regularly.

The main square is a 5 minute walk away, the beach about 20 (although we had a car and only visited the beach once as the pool area was so quiet). Latchi is well worth a visit and we tended to eat there for either lunch or dinner every day. There is plenty of parking at the Mariela with a petrol station nearby. We hired a car to and from the airport and I would consider this if you don't have a transfer as we found the prices for transfer surprisingly high compared to other holidays we have been on as transfers to Polis are only done by taxis and smaller vehicles.

Overall I would give the Mariela a 4. It loses the fifth point as the rooms could do with a little updating (the bath especially but also the bathroom door did not open properly as the floor was a little raised in our bathroom). These were minor issues though and I'm already looking forward to returning next October.

In terms of eating out I would recommend Finikas, Archontariki and Moustakillis for evening meal in Polis and Savvas and Central Point Cafe for breakfast/lunch/evening drink. However the best meal we had was definitely at Molos in Latchi. Also in Latchi Debbie’s offer a decent brunch menu and I would also recommend Porto Latchi and Peter and Yiangos.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either the Mariela or Polis: I loved both. Oh one final thing: we saved about £15 on a week's stay by booking directly with the hotel and I had already done plenty of research on price so I knew this was a good deal.

Happy to answer any questions.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool as these get the sun all day. If you want an apartment make sure...
1 Thank sheplobsters
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Booked this hotel because of the reviews we had read. I would agree that this hotel is great value for money, you get what you pay for. Large bedrooms which were kept spotlessly clean and linen changed every day. Pambos and Eleni are lovely people who work so hard trying to help you enjoy your holiday. This hotel is suitable for adults but not really families with children. Overall we had a great time, lovely people and would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: rooms on the poolside get the sun on the balcony in the afternoon
1 Thank evelyn s
Scotland
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have just returned from my seventh holiday at the Mariela Hotel Apartments.Pambos and Eleni, the owners, go out of their way to make visitors so welcome from the day they arrive.I meet people who return year after year and there are always first time guests who are
delighted by the hospitallty they receive and the atmosphere of the Mariela.

I had a studio flat which was simply furnished but bright and spacious and cleaned every day except Sundays. Every apartment has a balcony which either looks on to the pool area or the surrounding countryside. Cooking facilities and utensils are provided and are perfectly adequate for making a simple meal. As I was staying foe several weeks I often made an evening meal in the apartment. If there is anything extra that you require for cooking the owners will happily provide it.

Snacks and drinks are available throughout the day. During my stay there were two BBQ nights with beautiful typical Cyprus food cooked by Eleni.

For such a small town Polis is well provided with very good restaurants serving Cypriot and other dishes at very reasonable prices These restaurants are just a short walk from the Mariela.

Polis is situated in a particularly attractive part of Cyprus. I come back year after year because the place is so lovely and because I have found a place to stay there, the Mariela, which I love.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
warrington
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Booked the Mariela because of the good reviews on here. We are a couple late 40's early 50's.
1/ Rooms very basic, not really suitable for self catering but clean and comfortable enough. TV only uk news channels.
2/ Pool area fine plenty of sunbeds, pools quite cold.
3/ Food , didn't eat there apart from a snack on the last day , Pizza [ overcooked chips fine ]. Although others had said the food was nice.
4/Ambience . This was where the Mariela excelled, i dont know whether it came from Pambo the owner or the other guests or whether it's just Cyprus. Very very friendly and put you at ease. No noisy kids or drunken loudmouths everyone was nice and pleasant.
5/ Area, short walk to a large supermarket bars and restaurants , beach at Polis a disapointment but 20mins walk further took you to Lattchi with a nicer beach. We went to Coral Bay 30mins drive which was lovely.
In summary for what we paid we couldn't fault the hotel, people where very nice , as was Pambo, [ who did let us stay in our room for a few hours longer, reap what you sow ]. Although Polis was very quiet and after your evening meal and a drink there wasn't anything to do.

Peterborough
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Firstly I would say that the owners of this hotel seem to be on duty for around 18hrs a day.
We arrived at the Mariela at about midnight. We asked if we could get a drink from the bar but were told that it was closed despite a number of people sitting at the pool bar drinking and we were shown to our room. First impressions were very disappointing, the room was very tired and cheaply furnished however we were told when we booked that we should not expect UK standards.
The room had a fridge that was not turned on and an oven with 2 ring hob. Nothing in the room to make a drink so decided to see if we could find somewhere in Polis still open so that we could buy a bottle of water but could not get out as the doors to the reception area had been locked. The owner opened the doors and asked what we wanted, I told him and he said everywhere would be closed but did agree to sell us 2 tins of lager and a bottle of water for 6 euros. The bed was reasonably comfortable and in the morning we went to the supermarket to stock up on a few essentials. Do not expect to cook a meal in the apartment. The only cooking pots were a large saucepan, a frying pan and a very small milkpan. There was no grill pan. Everything was a little grimy but there was no dishcloth, washing up liquid scouring pads. The daily cleaning routine was emptying the bins for the. First three days of our stay but for the last four the bed sheets and towels were changed daily.
The pool area was untidy with the cleaning poles etc. left by the side of the pool at all times. Not that many sun beds but more than enough for the number of people that stayed around the pool. The Bistro / Bar area is a small number of patio tables and chairs underneath a large shed style roof. The Bistro menu comprised Pizza, Omelette or beef burger with either chips or salad.
The hotel itself is in a built up area and one of their close neighbours had a dog that barked for most of the day and night.
On the plus side the hotel is in a good location within only a few minutes walk to the main square in Polis, and not too far to the beach and Latchi was within about an hours walk. Got a great wifi signal in our rom and by the pool. The hotel has over 60 rooms and I can understand why the hard pressed owners / managers are struggling to maintain standards and despite all of this and the incredibly long hours that they put in the do manage to keep reasonably cheerful and polite.
On the last day of our holiday we were being picked up at 8pm for the airport so I asked if I could pay to keep our room for a few ours longer but was told no because they were fully booked up for that night. I went onto their electronic booking system and there was lots of availability
All that said there were a number of people who return to The Mariela year after year and meet up with the same people so it obviously hits the right spots for them.

Room Tip: Don't get 16B
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank petebPeterborough
Also consider these accommodations in or near Polis
The Marion Hotel
Souli Beach Hotel
Souli Beach Hotel
#3 of 6 in Latchi
Aphrodite Beach Hotel

Been to Mariela Hotel Apartments? Share your experiences!