“Brilliant hotel! ”

Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Arinsal
England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant hotel! ”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Booked through Nelson and Visited mid Feruaury for a skiing holiday with my husband.
The hotels location is brilliant just metres from the main gondola up to the mountains. The staff were very polite and friendly, more so in the main restaurant rather than on reception. The food at both breakfast (continental buffet) and evening meal (three course a la carte) was fantastic! The best feature of the hotel. Our room was located on the 5th floor (street facing) it did get noisy towards the end of the week but it didn't really bother us. Rooms were comfortable with all amenities included including an added portable radiator which was great for drying off ski wear.
The local area including skiing facilities were top class. Do pay a trip to the derby Irish bar as we considered it our favourite après ski bar. If you havnt been skiing before consider getting tuition. They are based close to the gondola at the top of the mountain. Andres was our instructor and he was great but I also noted instructors working very well with children (as young as 4) and beginners alike!
All in all we loved this holiday and will be returning next year.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rachelnpt1
Hotel-Montane-AND, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Montane, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear Client,

Kind words , thank you so much for your time taken to review.
I´ll pass on to all the staff , they will be pleased.

Many thanks again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Wymondham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

The hotel is ideally located at the foot of the gondola & close to the apre ski. The evening meals were lovely a choice from 3 for each course, always hot & tasty. The staff were always helpful & polite. The room were of a good size we had a lovely view of the mountain & could check out the queue when leaving on a morning. Would have been good to have had a bar area but the size of the hotel I guess restricts this.
One tip hire a locker at the top you'll feel the benefit with tired legs.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lindsay D
Dear Clients,

Many thanks for your glowing report.
We are so glad you had a good time and we hope to see you back again!

Return clients discount , free upgrade , cava and chocolates if you book with us!

A Bientôt!
Istanbul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I knew,I would book this hotel this time,when we first came to Arinsal two years ago and saw how convinient its location was.To me,its the best place to stay;we hired the skis from the shop next door,stored them up on the mountain,just a few steps to the gondolas and were perfectly ready for the lessons at 9.The minute we arrived,we were welcomed with the lovely smell of cinnamon coming from gluewein,coffee and a burning fireplace.We enjoyed every dinner,loved the wine(bought a few bottles to take home),lots of selections for breakfast..the staff was very attentive and paid attention to what we requested the most.We stayed in 202 ,always warm and cosy,with a lovely mountain view,Ski holidays can be full of surprises sometimes..Arinsal is the place we enjoy coming back and Hotel Montane is the one we will be staying.Thanks.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank emine-koray
Hotel-Montane-AND, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Montane, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Emine-Koray,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
You are one of the many guests that enjoy the experience , the smell of logs burning , the Gluwein , the smell of cinammon and orange peel that envelopes the public áreas and the courtesy champagne and chocolates.
You as the discerning visitor deserve the best holiday experience we can provide
All the staff would like to thank you for your visit and hope to see you back soon!
cheshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Perfect location opposite gondela and also bus stop directly outside for acalis, pal and la vella. Free bus to ski resorts and L5 bus to all other destinations so easy to get around from here. Delicious and very large portion evening meal. Breakfast less impressive but typical for continental. Could have an English breakfast for a small additional charge which we did one morning which was ok. Relaxing ambience in the lounge area. Nice/interesting artwork displayed throughout and scented candles added to this. Very clean and tidy throughout.

Beds were uncomfortable but again this is typical from what I have experienced in other ski resorts. We put our mattresses on the floor which made it slightly better than the squeeky bed frames. The maid (bless her) even made the bed up for us on the floor one of the days but I didnt think that was fair on her so I requested not to have the bed made up after this. We didn't request a change of room because we had a really good location in the hotel on the 5th floor. We were slightly set back from the road so we did not hear the noise from the night time revellers and we still had a fantastic view up the mountain, and a bath (which was the most important thing for me after a day of skiing).

The hotel owner/manager was a bit of a stern lady. She laid the rules down of day 1 and only ever spoke to you if you made a point of speaking to her first. She wasn't rude but I think 'good afternoon, how was your day?' would have gone a long way. She got so much of everything else right that I think this could be an area for improvement. The reception staff served a purpose and were efficient but again didn't go out of there way to make conversation with you. A man helped with our luggage on day one. He was very friendly but that was the only time I saw him. The restaurant staff were all lovely and very hard working.

Although there was a lock up for the skis in the hotel I felt that the manager would prefer you to use other lock ups. They charged 5 euros/night there but she made a point of saying that there are cheaper options avaliable up the mountain, which was true. (Neilson charged 10 euros/week). You weren't allowed your ski equipment in the rooms, which is pretty standard. I would say chose carefully where you hire and store your ski stuff. We stored and hired ours from up the mountain in arinsal but I would not do this again as a) it limits the time you can spend in acalis as the buses are limited and you have to wait until the gondela open at 8.30/9.00 before you can get your skis and you have to be back before the last gondela at 5pm to return your skis b) if you are unfortunate enough to experience avalanche conditions as we did you cant get up to your skis and go to one of the other resorts because they shut the gondella - this could also happen in high winds etc... There are hire shops in the street in arinsal that have lockups I believe, but I actually wish I had stored my skis in the hotel now. For the extra money I wouldn't have missed a days skiing so don't be put off by the price.

So I think thats about it for the hotel. The price was reasonable. I would stay there again and I would recommend it to a friend unless a comfy bed was essential. Arinsal itself is a great little ski place for intermediates. The vallnord ski pass also covers pal and acalis. I didn't rate acalis but experienced skiers and boarders love it. It was a bit of a white out when I went and the pistes were thick with snow and not greatly signed so we kept going off piste accidently which freaked me out a little. Pal on the other hand was lovely. Much clearer skys over there most days and the runs were good too. I would definately go back to experience more as I didn't get to do all the runs and I never did any blacks this time. The apres ski seemed quiet but the bars got lively around 9pm so I lasted only an hour or so. The derby bar is a great laugh and the cow also had live music if you like that kind of thing. I didn't get woke by late night drinkers though so I don't think its the party capital its sometmes portrayed as.

So that my thoughts on the hotel an the resort. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. x

Room Tip: 503 if you want a bath and a quiet location with a view of the mountain
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nurseangelCheshire
Hotel-Montane-AND, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Montane, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Client

Many thanks for your review.
We´re glad you enjoyed your stay with us and considered us very good.

We apologize for not entering into a more chatty relationship with our guests here in reception but we have to attend upward of 70 people every day making that a difficulty sometimes.

The ski locker tip to use the station´s or your travel agents is because we have on occasion the odd client who takes offence at being asked for money in exchange for this service. But as you said in the long run its a better and handier service.

We hope to see you again. Point taken on the beds.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We arrived on 19/01/2014 for a week of snowboarding to celebrate for my partners 25th birthday. The hotel was everything we expected and more; great location steps away from the gondola, in the centre of après ski entertainment and amazing food each night. Really can't go wrong with this hotel, we hope to return next year!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Simon E
Hi Simon

Many thanks for your positive review.
We are so glad you enjoyed everything about your stay with us.

If you come this way again you have a free room upgrade and a return client discount
Spilsby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

We booked Montane through neilsons, and stayed 12 to 19/1/ 2014 our main reason was to be as near to the gondola as possible,and to this, the hotel has the best position in resort, but a good hotel was also important and having a chef wife, food came high on the list.
Being used to a large house we booked one of the larger rooms , and found it newly decorated clean. warm and pleasant, with two double doors to the front, a new bath and sanitary ware, a large double bed, and one single small flat screen TV with two English speaking channels. Access to the rooms is obtained by a modern card system
Hotel Montane is a tight run ship, any extras (ski locker 5euro per day) are made apparent ,as with all hotels, all problems must be first notified to the reception, and when a light bulb put my rooms electrical power out it was dealt with promptly,
Skis are not allowed in the hotel, and the wearing of ski boots only permitted to fetch the ski locker key ,at first this seemed strange in a hotel so dependant on skiers for its income, but after trying it I can see the merits of the walls and floors not damaged giving the hotel a cared for appearance.
Breakfast is buffet European style, and was always plentiful and of a good quality,staff were on hand, and a full English option available for 5 euro
Evening meals were a joy, table served 3 course 3 choices , with value of product on the plate and cooked by people who cared .
Mulled wine is available in the afternoons and a wood burner was a nice touch in reception , if you are wanting a mad place to party then the montane is not for you ,But I enjoyed my time there and would go back

One word of warning if you book this hotel through neilsons the buses to and from the airport stop for a comfort break at the Can valls restaurant there are no prices displayed and I was charged 24 euros for 2 beers and 2 sandwiches

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark M
Dear Mark,

Many thanks for your positive review.
We´re glad you enjoyed all aspects of our hospitality.

Please dont forget the return client advantages of free room upgrade and discount if you ever come back our way.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I'm a slightly disabled skier (previous knee damage!) so now use a snowbike. The Hotel Montanè was the perfect location as it's directly opposite the gondola up to the slopes in the heart of the village. (Less carrying the bike!)
The hotel was very welcoming, cosy, great food and nice meal times which you can pick & choose!
The rooms were ideal; ours looked out to the front so we could see if there was a queue at the lift!
The staff were just fab (need practise at table footy though ;-)), and even organised a taxi for us plus snowbike for a day out to Arcalis, thanks for that guys, we had a blast!
Overall a FANTASTIC hol. We highly recommend the Hotel Montanè!
Very very happy! Xx

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Janeknee
Hi there !

Thank you very much for your positive review.
It means alot to us to keep on having happy clients.

Discounts and free upgrades on your next time round , you deserve it !
Also consider these accommodations in or near Arinsal
Hotel Spa Princesa Parc
Sport Hotel Hermitage & Spa
Sport Hotel Village
Sport Hotel Village
#3 of 17 in Soldeu

Been to Hotel Montane? Share your experiences!