“Breath-taking views of Monaco and great food”
Review of la chaumiere

la chaumiere
Ranked #27 of 52 Restaurants in La Condamine
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Had lunch at La chaumiere in Monaco. The restaurant is located right next to the Jardin Exotique (botanical gradens). The view from the restaurant is fabulous! The food was really good. I had one of the best Cesar salads I had in my life. Whilst we had to wait for a table (reservations at 377 97 70 04 92) we really enjoyed the restaurant. Price was very reasonable for Monaco.

There are newer reviews for la chaumiere

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Very nice place with a terrific view other Monaco and Le Rocher.
Good service
Good food
Parking nearby

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Lunch here after touring the incredible Jardin Exotique (this is just outside the entrance. Sat at an outside bar table with an incredible view of Monaco, the palace, harbors, buildings!
Service was pretty fast though I had to wait for a second glass of wine.Lunch was fresh grilled dorado set over a mix of grilled vegetables for me; fresh white fish covered with a tomato -based veggie sauce for the hubby. Both very fresh, ample portions and delicious. Finished with an espresso and the dessert tray: two macarons, choco mousse, raspberry mousse and a buttery cookie. Cost was 57 euros with drinks, but again, the view!

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We were staying in Nice for a week and making a day trip to Monaco. I Googled 'restaurants in Monaco with a view' and found this place. I was a little nervous having read some of the reviews here on Tripadvisor. However on balance we decided that since all food in Monaco is expensive, but also all likely to be edible, and since we were only in Monaco for a day, we'd go for the place with one great asset all the reviews agree on - the views. Great decision. We'd considered eating at a Michelin starred restaurant whilst in Monaco, as we eat in Michelin restaurants at home whenever we get the chance. But ultimately we decided they are SO expensive in Monaco (compared to some of the amazing Michelin restaurants we go to nearer home - half the price or less) we decided we'd rather find a good 'regular' restaurant and we did. I'd say, however, that there was more than a touch of the Michelin standard about the food in this restaurant.

The views are brilliant. I don't know Monaco well enough to know whether they're 'unrivalled' but realistically there can't be many places that have this fantastic view. We had a table booked for 7.30 and in mid-September that was basically 'sunset' - so we got some pics in daylight outside before we arrived and some beautiful twilight and dark pics throughout the evening. A truly magical experience.

I'd emailed to book our table primarily because my husband is vegetarian. The menu they show online is only for lunch - understandably as clearly their dinner menu varies regularly with seasonal produce. The lunch menu had a couple of vegetarian options which encouraged me to book a table with them but I wanted to warn them in advance. It turned out brilliantly. I received a helpful and courteous reply to my email within about 36 hours, reserving our table and reassuring me they could cater appropriately for my husband (I wrote in French and received a reply the same).

When we arrived we were pretty much the only people there, which isn't surprising given the relative earliness of the hour (we'd chosen the time specifically to be at sunset though). But only a few more couples arrived over the course of the evening which surprised me since it was Saturday night. They did, however, have what appeared to be a wedding party happening downstairs which didn't cause any issues.

We were given a table on the terrace with that amazing view - but even the inside tables would have a bit of a view. The staff were unfailingly welcoming and polite - for more so than most of the tourist-weary restaurant staff in Nice! The menu - on a blackboard - was amazing. I had a beautiful crab and green apple starter that had what must've been at least 100g of crab in it - generous, and totally delicious, and very delicately prepared and served. My husband had a fantastic burrata and 3-tomato salad, and our friend an exquisite truffle risotto. Then for mains, my friend and I succumbed to an amazing duck breast - which was cooked perfectly to our request, at 'au point' - medium - served with a great array of perfectly cooked vegetables and more generous truffle slices. My husband then had the truffle risotto for a main course.

We were too full for dessert, but we did have coffee. We'd been given small nibbles whilst we chose our food, and we'd had an aperitif each, water and half a bottle of wine. All in, the bill came to about EUR160 for the three of us. Not cheap, but easily the best meal we had during our week on the Cote D'Azur and if we'd found it sooner we'd have considered going back to Monaco for the evening just for dinner, it was that great an experience. We will return to the Cote D'Azur and when we do, we'll return here.

To find the restaurant is pretty easy - you really do just head for the exotic gardens and it's right there. We had cocktails at Buddha Bar in the early evening, left at 7.10 and walked to the restaurant arriving bang on time - which puts it between a 10-15 minute uphill walk from the train station (using lifts where available). We are relatively young and fit and it was evening so not hot, but even in warmer weather you'd only need to add another 5 minutes or so.

A final comment - this is a restaurant, not a café. There is no excuse for rudeness but I'm not surprised the staff are reluctant to cede a table on the outside terrace to people who just want a drink.

I'd recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Monaco. Really outstanding.

Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We go to La Chaumiere for lunch quite often and have always enjoyed it. The view of Monaco is amazing (probably the best). At lunchtime the menu is really good and varied and very reasonable . Easily accessible by bus.