“Fabulous”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This fabulous hotel is right where we wanted to be in Monaco, amonst it all! and we were very pleased with our choice... We only had two nights there but we are already looking forward to our next visit. The service was excellent and at the same time very friendly... they were extremely helpful too. The hotel itself was decorated in an 'opulent old style' and very 'Monte-Carlo', it conjured up visions from days gone by! The bar and lobby area that you walk into when entering the hotel, is not only a great place to eat and drink, but definitely the place to be seen. Our suite was actually very lovely too and had everything we needed including two bathrooms... The only problem was that it looked out onto the 'pool renovation works' that other reviewers have talked about... I guess though, when the pool is finished it will be a good view.
The Joel Robuchon restaurant was fantastic, the food was amazing, and the staff superb... We entertained some friends who very impressed, and they like us will be going back soon. Oh and the shopping was brilliant!

Room Tip: For the next few months choose a room away from the pool works!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank AEW22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed 19 May 2012

After one night, I couldn't sleep due to noise from pool renovations. The Guest services manager, Celine, was kind enough to upgrade me to a beautiful suite on the opposite side of the hotel. Very much enjoyed the last couple nights of my visit. Beautiful French hotel close to everything in town.
Incredibly wonderful staff except for service in the Bar.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Dru S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This is a lovely hotel in a great position, definitely pricey but it is Monaco!!! Charming and helpful staff, sadly pool out of action at the moment and knock on effect is a slightly shambolic scrum for breakfast but this is temporary and overall it's a really lovely place to stay

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LaraC123
North Wales,
Reviewed 16 May 2012

The Hotel Metropole provides opulence and style on a grand scale. My wife and I took a suite there for three nights and I have to say it was magnificent. The staff are charming, attentive and polite and the whole hotel has a wonderful ambience of calm. The location is perfect, just a minutes walk from Casino Square and the dining terrace overlooks the straight from Casino Square down to Mirabeau on the Grand Prix circuit. However, this does mean that on race days the beautiful calm is destroyed by the roar of racing engines. One niggle which I feel I must mention is that no tea or coffee making facilities were provided in our suite.Given that the nightly rate amounted to what is most people's monthly mortgage payment I thought the hotel let themselves down somewhat.
Having visited Monte Carlo frequently between 2002-2005 on business, I thought I knew what to expect, but in the short time since I was last there, the prices charged seemed to have turned on the afterburners and shot another level into the stratosphere. I took my wife there for the weekend of our wedding anniversary which just happened to coincide with the Historic Grand Prix. The racing was fantastic and my wife has been converted to an avid fan of motor racing but I really think Monte Carlo has gone a price too far. Twenty-four euros for a glass of dry white house wine and eight euros for a bottle of vittel water,served in the bottle not even with a glass, is difficult to justify. However, a group of middle aged Russian co-residents and their young female companions seemed quite happy as they worked their way through six or seven bottles of Dom Perignon at nine hundred and ninety euros a bottle.
A fabulous weekend but it won't be repeated too often

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pack0222
Spain
Reviewed 3 May 2012

I have read everyone's favorable reviews and accept them, but my experience was very different and as I am an avid Trip Advisor User I must share my views.

Granted we chose the lowest category room - funnily enough called Superior, but as there was no room category under that how could it be called "Superior?" It was the worst room I have ever had in a four or five star hotel and cost me 400 Euros, excluding breakfast which was an additional 40 Euros each. The bathroom was exactly the size of a bathroom on a ship, with a basin, shower stall and toilet squashed into a small area - you had to be careful not to crash into the metal toilet roll holder when you sat down! The furniture and carpet are tired and the furnishings very sparse. The air conditioner was extremely noisy even with the fan on the lowest setting. I accept that the room needs renovating and that the lower priced rooms would be the last to renovate but I do not feel the price was warranted, even in Monte Carlo, for a room such as this. The television was an old tv on an old metal one-leg stand with the wires sticking out of the stand. Much better to stay to stay at the Port Palace hotel not too far away where we stayed last year. We had decided to take a room at the Hotel Metropole as we wished to revisit the wonderful Joel Robuchon restaurant there. The restaurant was a fantastic experience once more.

On check out I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay and answered honestly that I had not. I received an email from the management saying how sorry they were that I had been dissatisfied and that they would automatically upgrade me to deluxe on my next visit. Next visit I shall go back to the Port Palace Hotel.

I must say that the staff were extremely efficient and helpful and the public areas of the hotel are beautiful. A new Spa is in the process of being built and I am sure this grand dame of hotels will return to splendor once more in the future but if you wish to stay here, rather pay more for an better quality room than "Superior".

Room Tip: Ask to see the Room First.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank casden8
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Excellent hotel in the heart of Monte Carlo. The ambiance is quiet and pleasant while tapestries hanging on the walls of the lobby add to chic style of this classic place. Special attraction of the hotel is a two Michelin stars restauran of world-renouned chef Joel Robouchon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank vop63
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We have just stayed for three nights, and our stay could not have been much better!
Booked a package which included return helicopter transfers and everything ran smoothly.
Our room was upgraded to a Deluxe and we had a partial sea view and looked towards the Casino. The room was fantastic as was the bathroom and turndown service.
Breakfast was included and could not have been better, the service was spot on.
The Hotel is situated right next to the Casino and Cafe De Paris and a short walk to the Harbour, which was great as the weather was fantastic and there are great views along the way. We had cheap drinks at the Brassiere De Monaco!
The big thing for me was the staff at the hotel, they were so friendly and polite and wanted to do everything possible to make our stay memorable, which they have achieved. Thank you and we would return in an instant!

Room Tip: Be polite if making requests!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple