“A Delight from Start to finish”

Hotel Metropole Monte-Carlo
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Monte-Carlo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 September 2012

The Metropole has completely changed my view of hotels in Monaco. I have had the misfortune of staying elsewhere in the Principality over the last 7 years, and emerged grinding my teeth at the lack of service. The staff at the Metropole were charming, even perhaps a little effusive (definitely not something I'm used to in Monaco), they took the trouble to learn my name, remember the little things, such as the kind of tea or timings of services that I liked. I felt completely at home, and luckily avoided encountering any of the excesses in the lobby referred to by a previous posters. The highlight of the lobby for me were the flower arrangements which were simply awe-inspiring. The rooms were well designed and all enveloping in their luxurious comfort (just like the showers!). Others have praised the bathrooms and I certainly loved the various options in the shower, the separate bath, loo and basins in my bathroom. I look forward to seeing what they do with the swimming pool, which sadly was still under construction. Excess noise (of which there was some during the day) was quickly dealt with by a call to reception. All in all, I shall look forward to my return to the Metropole, it made me feel somewhat better disposed to Monaco, as a result.

Room Tip: I had room 509, a beautiful double aspect suite. The sun moved round during the day and you had a v...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 20 September 2012 via mobile

Although accustomed to the bandit territory that is Monaco and the inevitable uplift in rates when one comes to check out, the Metropole raises (or should that be lowers) the bar to a new level.
The fluidity of rates is augmented by a fluidity of faculties - the pool "closed till late summer 2012" is still a noisy construction site in the autumn and the spa facilities a Heath Robinson substitute.

Most galling is the contempt with which the staff treat residents. So a request to eat a sandwich outside in the sun is greated with a "Non monsieur, la terrasse est fermé!".

A request for a hot chocolate in the lobby on returning to the hotel in the evening is greated with "Non Monsieur vous pouvez commander le Room Service." this latter response is particularly galling as the night staff have no qualms about hosting all manner of hookers in the lobby, to the extent that these "ladies" were actively spanking their clients with abandon in full view of passers by on the evening I had the misfortune to be there.

But just don't try and order a hot chocolate, it's beyond the pale...

• Stayed: September 2012
11  Thank IndigoShore
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We stayed here back in May and it was wonderful. The rooms are enormous suites. The personal touches at this hotel were just spectacular. After checking in, the receptionist walked us up to our room to make sure that the temperature was comfortable, and that we knew how to use all of the amenities and that the electronics in the room were set up for english. The bathrooms were absolutely enormous and all marble. The finishings were world class.

The location can not be beat. In fact, I think that I like the location better than any of the other hotels because it is close to everything, but it seems that if you are right next to the casino, it would be very loud and busy.

We ate a Joel Robuchon in the hotel and even asked to move our dinner reservation late in the evening, and it was not a problem.

The setting at the hotel is extremely luxurious, and it almost feels like you are in a high end spa when you walk down the hallways. This was the best hotel we stayed at during our trip to Europe, and we will definitely recommend it to friends that are visiting in the future.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite. Our suite was HUGE with a full lobby, living room, bedroom and a wonderful view...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AndrewReese
Reviewed 8 September 2012

My wife and I have stayed in this really central hotel in Montecarlo during a tour among the best European hotels with great Chefs and excellent Wine lists. We immediately felt like we were at home thanks to the European style furnishing. An unmistakeable taste. The hotel was equipped with an absolute upscale SPA center and the Concierge service was definitely efficient. The manager, indeed, was perfectly able make reservations in every restaurant we dined at for the whole week. But what really surprised us it's been the restaurant that was actually in the hotel. The restaurant belongs to chef whom is, most likely, the greatest of the past century, Joel Robuchon. Our experience here, by any means, went over our best expectations. A sublime cuisine with a well studied as well as sophisticated menu and a remarkable wine selection with a selection of premium French bottles but also from the rest of the world. During our stay here we have dined out at some other great restaurants located between the Cote d'Azur and the Principat de Monaco: "Reserve de Beaulieu", "George V" and "Le Chevre d'Or" just to mention some. However none of the these restaurant I just named really impressed us as much as the Joel Robuchon one did. Let me summarize everything in 1 simple word: PERFECT!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 September 2012

A really upmarket hotel with a welcoming staff. Rooms are on the small side but to be expected in monte carlo when space is so limited. great location around the corner from the casino. Would highly recommend and doubt there is anywhere better for a romantic weekend.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yatsey
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Stayed for 3 days at the metroplole and the staff couldn't do enough, invcluding the concierge, reception and resteraunt staff. Beautiful hotel in fantastic position, rather pricey but it is monte Carlo, our only disappointment was the pool not being ready and we were not informed on booking, the hotel then want to charge for beach access which really should be complementary, however they did wave the beach charge when we complained,

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 31 August 2012

This hotel is really centrally located just around the corner from the casino and right next to the Metropole Shopping Center. There's a Laduree and other specialty shops in the shopping center so that was very convenient. The staff quickly learn your name and greet you by name almost immediately. I stayed a few days there before moving to Chateau Eza.

My room was decorated by Jacques Garcia so it's very relaxing and luxuriant. Turn down service also includes rose petals around your sinks. The bed is very comfortable and the room very quiet. My room faced the courtyard and I didn't splurge for a view of the sea, but that was ok. The room had a small terrace so you can actually stand outside and take the view if you like. The bathroom was super great. There's a separate water closet within the bathroom and a separate shower room with full body jets. That was fantastic!

The lobby was decorated for Easter with a lovely Easter egg under their beautiful trademark indoor cherry blossom tree. The floral arrangements throughout the ground floor are breathtaking. Their restaurant is lovely as well. I only had breakfast there and their service is great with special attention on your every request.

There is a park just across the street which lends to the quiet atmosphere of the hotel since the casino and Hotel de Paris area is quite hectic with a lot of foot traffic.

Also, the hotel is within a few minutes walk to all the high end stores (Chanel, Dior, etc.) for actual shopping or just window shopping. Public transportation is also close by for when you just want to do some hassle free commuting. The train station is also a 10 minute bus ride away.

I went during the off season (April 2012). I've heard that during high season the public transportation can be slow.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo